|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the road that the narrator and Poterloo take to get to Souchez?
(a) It is slick with blood.
(b) It has been destroyed by artillery fire.
(c) It is lined with corpses.
(d) It is burning in places.
2. How are Volpatte and Fouillade's positions discovered?
(a) They sing loudly.
(b) They send up a flare.
(c) They use a signaling mirror.
(d) The 204th stumbles across them.
3. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) A swift victory is expected.
(b) The war is being lost.
(c) Slow progress is made.
(d) A victory is impossible.
4. Lamuse is described with what seemingly contradictory label?
(a) The foolish intellectual.
(b) The heroic loafer.
(c) The bloodthirsty coward.
(d) The quiet comedian.
5. What do the men concede with regards to the "shirkers"?
(a) They are unavoidable.
(b) They are necessary.
(c) It is a smart thing to do.
(d) Shirking is human nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
2. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
3. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
4. In Chapter 15, when the men run low on supplies, what does Triloir share with the rest of the squad?
5. According to Cocon, how many corps are present in the area of the railway depot?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)