|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sent with the narrator to find the missing Volpatte and Fouillade?
2. What does Cocon calculate about the squad?
(a) How many miles they marched.
(b) How much weight they carry in total.
(c) How likely they are to survive.
(d) How many supplies they consumed since formation.
3. Why don't the men want to get drunk the night before returning to the trenches?
(a) Drinking is forbidden in the ranks.
(b) Cpl. Bertrand is too strict.
(c) They need to be alert.
(d) They don't want to be hungover.
4. According to the media, what is the state of the war?
(a) A victory is impossible.
(b) Slow progress is made.
(c) A swift victory is expected.
(d) The war is being lost.
5. What is Volpatte's condition when he is found?
(a) He is violently ill.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is insane.
(d) He is wrapped in bloody bandages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, the men of Cpl. Bertrand's squad are best described in what way?
2. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
3. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
4. While watching the chickens, what dose Paradis see?
5. Volpatte's compatriots oppose him when he criticizes what group?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)