|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Barque suggest that the author might have the characters in his book use "big words" instead of speaking naturally?
(a) To avoid censorship.
(b) To gloss over the ugliness of war.
(c) To make them seem like better people.
(d) To make the book more sophisticated.
2. According to Cocon, how many villages has the squad quartered in?
(b) 47 villages.
3. When the author says that each poilu "carries his crowd along," what does the "crowd" refer to?
(a) Photographs of family and friends.
(c) Trophies, keepsakes, and knickknacks.
(d) Lice, tics, and other bugs.
4. How do the men prevent their cleaned rifles from being stolen by lazy or dishonest soldiers?
(a) They keep watch in pairs.
(b) They sleep with their rifles under them.
(c) They disassemble the rifles.
(d) They put an identifying mark on them.
5. What unusual preparation does Bertrand make for the offensive?
(a) He takes a single bullet from each man's supplies.
(b) He attaches knives to certain soldier's greatcoats.
(c) He makes strange marks on the trench's walls with chalk.
(d) He reads a meaningless passage from Leviticus to the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near the last stretch of his journey to bring the wounded Joseph to safety, the narrator encounters a wounded man that he compares to which of the following?
2. What are the "Zouaves' Cells"?
3. How is Joseph Mesnil injured?
4. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
5. What does Bertrand say about prophecies?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)