|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Overall, how do the men feel about the things they carry with them?
(a) They resent almost everything they have to carry.
(b) They take great care in the selection and arrangement of carried items.
(c) They don't seem to care at all.
(d) They carry only what their officers force them to.
2. In their deployment after Gauchin-l'Abbé, what is unusual about all the buildings and equipment?
(a) They are painted flat black.
(b) They are modern.
(c) They are camouflaged.
(d) They are civilian-grade.
3. Why do the gentlemen of the depot take care to avoid Volpatte?
(a) He is exceptionally rude to them.
(b) He is crude and vulgar.
(c) He is war-mucky.
(d) He is an enlisted man.
4. How long was Volpatte on leave to recover from his injury?
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two months.
(d) One year.
5. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
(a) There is no activity in Verdun.
(b) They are civilians.
(c) They are not armed.
(d) They are only exposed to danger once.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joseph Mesnil go into "no man's land"?
2. Cocon is described as being which of the following?
3. At the end of Chapter 14, what does the narrator dream of?
4. What does Volpatte say about the four great rivers of France?
5. What happens to some of the rats that eat the corpses on the battlefield?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)