|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Volpatte shares the first part of his story just after the squad finishes what type of duty?
(a) Rebuilding a road.
(b) Digging a deep trench.
(c) Creating a large dirt pallisade.
(d) Patrolling a forested area.
2. What hazard do the men face even after they reach the relative safety of the heights?
(c) Machine gun fire.
(d) Barrage fire.
3. What do the men think is the best way to augment their meager wages?
(a) By stealing.
(b) By bartering with other squads.
(c) By seeking promotions.
(d) By being friends with the quartermaster.
4. Why does Cpl. Bertrand wake the narrator at 2 a.m.?
(a) To help bury bodies.
(b) To search for a body.
(c) To talk with him.
(d) For guard duty.
5. What type of establishment does Eudore's wife Mariette run?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A café.
(c) A small school.
(d) An inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other bloody battle does the narrator recall while escorting Joseph to safety?
2. What does Mariette give to Eudore before he leaves?
3. According to Volpatte, how many shirkers are there in the depots?
4. Why do the other men try to coax Volpatte into sharing his story?
5. Why does Tulacque believe that those who drive the artillery pieces to Verdun are not truly in the war?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)