1. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(a) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
(b) Invalids in a sanatorium.
(d) Inmates in a prison.
2. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In the Alps.
(c) On the French-German border.
(d) In Greece.
3. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) One million deaths.
(b) Three million deaths.
(c) Thirty million deaths.
(d) Ten million deaths.
4. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) One year.
(b) 22 days.
(c) 15 months.
(d) Three years.
5. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) A medical squad.
(b) An engineering squad.
(c) A reserve squad.
(d) A front-line squad.
6. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To build emergency earthworks.
(b) To man a sentry post.
(c) To carry ammunition to the front.
(d) To escort the wounded to the rear.
7. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(a) Soldiers on a short deployment.
(b) High command visiting the trenches.
This section contains 5,074 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)