1. Who are the anonymous individuals who make speculations in the first chapter?
(a) Inmates in a prison.
(b) The ghosts of dead soldiers.
(c) Invalids in a sanatorium.
2. Where do the events of the first chapter take place?
(a) In the Alps.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In Greece.
(d) On the French-German border.
3. About how many deaths are predicted in the first chapter?
(a) Ten million deaths.
(b) One million deaths.
(c) Thirty million deaths.
(d) Three million deaths.
4. When Chapter 2 opens, how long has the war been going on?
(a) 22 days.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) 15 months.
5. The characters introduced in Chapter 2 are part of what type of squad?
(a) A reserve squad.
(b) A medical squad.
(c) An engineering squad.
(d) A front-line squad.
6. What is the squad's duty at night?
(a) To build emergency earthworks.
(b) To carry ammunition to the front.
(c) To man a sentry post.
(d) To escort the wounded to the rear.
7. "Trench Tourists" refers to which of the following?
(b) High command visiting the trenches.
(d) Soldiers on a short deployment.
This section contains 5,074 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)