|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a slave, what type of reputation did Solomon have among the plantation owners around Bayou Bœuf?
(a) That of a dishonest slave.
(b) That of an intelligent and hard working slave.
(c) That of a lazy slave.
(d) That of an honest and intelligent slave.
2. Who was the slaves' best-loved plantation owner in Bayou Bœuf?
(a) William Ford.
(b) John Tibeats.
(c) Edwin Epps.
(d) Mary McCoy.
3. How was Solomon's hiring by Avery fateful in nature?
(a) Solomon began working for Avery on a full-time basis.
(b) Avery paid Solomon for the work that he did for him.
(c) Solomon had learned carpentry from his father.
(d) Solomon met Bass while working for Avery.
4. How could Bass' efforts to help Solomon regain his freedom be described?
(a) As inconsistent as can be imagined.
(b) As frequent as possible.
(c) As consistent as possible.
(d) As infrequent as possible.
5. Which male pair below provided Solomon with sweet type work?
(a) Mr. Hawkins and Judge Turner.
(b) Edwin Epps and William Ford.
(c) William Ford and Mr. Eldret.
(d) Mistress Ford and Mr. Hawkins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seemed to be most valued by Epps' slaves at Christmastime?
2. What did Solomon receive for Christmas, 1852?
3. According to Author Northrup, what disturbed the peace around the Epps plantation?
4. In one word, describe the type of work that Edwin Epps' slave driver did for him.
5. What did the fact that Tibeats appeared unexpectedly three times while Solomon was working for Eldret indicate about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, how did Lew Cheney show that he was not the leader whom he claimed to be among the slaves who were planning to escape to Mexico?
2. In Chapter 15 of the story, what type of festivities did the slaves in Bayou Bœuf enjoy at Christmastime?
3. In Chapter 15 of the story, what were some of the everyday things that Solomon and the other slaves did not miss at Christmastime?
4. What could cause trouble for the slaves weighing the cotton that they had picked at the plantation run by Epps in Chapter 13 of the book?
5. What type of consequences did Epps have to face for chasing the young and beautiful slave, Patsey in Chapter 16 of the book?
6. In Chapter 11 of the book, what did Solomon appreciate about the time that he spent at the Ford Plantation following his trek through the Great Pacoudrie Swamp?
7. In Chapter 20 of the book, how did Samuel Bass manage to carry out his effort to help Solomon regain his freedom despite Epps' presence?
8. What happened to some of the slaves who tried to escape from a life in slavery in Chapter 17 of the book?
9. In Chapter 12 of the story, why was the day following a night of Epps drinking especially hard on the slaves?
10. Why was Lew Cheney not liked by some of the slaves in Bayou Bœuf in Chapter 17 of the book?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)