|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of work did Mr. Eldret have Solomon handle for him?
(a) Raft building.
(b) Loom building.
(c) Cotton picking.
(d) Land clearing.
2. What did Bass view as a more effective means for getting help for Solomon to be freed from slavery?
(a) Getting Lawyer Henry B. Northrup to write a letter to the President of the United States.
(b) Traveling to Washington City to meet with the President of the United States to discuss Solomon's matter.
(c) Traveling to Saratoga Sprngs himself.
(d) Sending a letter to the President of the United States.
3. What did Solomon receive for Christmas, 1852?
(a) An extended vacation period from Epps.
(b) An update from Bass on the effort to free him from slavery.
(c) An aluminum plate and a set of utensils.
(d) A fish trap that he had always wanted.
4. In which of the following areas was the slaves' level of understanding most underestimated by those outside slavery?
(a) The value of their work.
(b) The value of money.
5. What inspired Solomon to design and build a fish trap?
(a) A desire to expand his variety of food without much effort.
(b) A never-ending appetite for fish.
(c) He had the necessary materials available; so he decided to put them to good use.
(d) A desire to impress the other slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the slaves' best-loved plantation owner in Bayou Bœuf?
2. Who was an unlikely slave driver who actually was one?
3. What was the reason upon which Solomon based his bellief that Bass had left Marksville quietly?
4. What had Epps threatened the slaves with before the carriage came into the Epps Plantation, headed for the main house?
5. Which of the following could be viewed as Epps' loss in the course of mistreating his slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20 of the book, how did Samuel Bass manage to carry out his effort to help Solomon regain his freedom despite Epps' presence?
2. How did Samuel Bass show others that he was against slavery in Chapter 19 of the book?
3. In Chapter 15 of the story, what type of festivities did the slaves in Bayou Bœuf enjoy at Christmastime?
4. Why was Samuel Bass so well-liked in and around Bayou Bœuf in Chapter 19 of the book?
5. In Chapter 14 of the book, how did the slaves manage to add variety to the food that was available to them to eat on a daily basis?
6. In Chapter 15 of the book, how did the slaves in Bayou Bœuf change at Christmastime?
7. In Chapter 17, how did Lew Cheney show that he was not the leader whom he claimed to be among the slaves who were planning to escape to Mexico?
8. Why was Lew Cheney not liked by some of the slaves in Bayou Bœuf in Chapter 17 of the book?
9. What type of consequences did Epps have to face for chasing the young and beautiful slave, Patsey in Chapter 16 of the book?
10. In Chapter 13 of the story, what was expected of the slaves who worked the cotton fields for Epps?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)