|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Solomon's hiring by Avery fateful in nature?
(a) Avery paid Solomon for the work that he did for him.
(b) Solomon had learned carpentry from his father.
(c) Solomon began working for Avery on a full-time basis.
(d) Solomon met Bass while working for Avery.
2. What may have been the underlying reason that William Ford was willing to let Mr. Eldret hire Solomon?
(a) He knew that Mr. Eldret would treat Solomon with kindness and fairness.
(b) He knew that Mr. Eldret needed Solomon's help.
(c) He did not have much work for Solomon to do.
(d) He owed Mr Eldret a favor.
3. What two words could be used to accurately characterize slave owner, Edwin Epps?
(a) Harsh, cruel.
(b) Quiet, funny.
(c) Friendly, anxious.
(d) Nice, friendly.
4. What type of battle did Tibeats perceive himself to be involved in with Solomon?
(a) To determine who was the better man.
(b) To determine who was the more righteous man.
(c) To determine who was the stronger man.
(d) To determine who was the more intelligent man.
5. What was Epps' status at the time that he bought Solomon from John Tibeats?
(a) He was a new person in the community.
(b) He was a renter.
(c) He was a plantation owner.
(d) He was a respected member of the community.
6. What piqued Bass' interest to want to know how Solomon had made his way to Louisiana?
(a) The fact that Solomon had visited a few cities in Canada.
(b) The fact that Solomon was eager to travel in a northeasterly direction.
(c) The fact that the Underground Railroad led only from South to North.
(d) The fact that the Underground Railroad had not been built yet.
7. According to Solomon, what other plantation owner was Mary McCoy most like?
(a) Mr. Eldret.
(b) William Ford.
(c) Edwin Epps.
(d) Mr. Marshall.
8. Who seemed to suffer the most among Epps' slaves?
9. Based on Author Northrup's description of the Christmastime gatherings attended by slaves and plantation owners, what seemed to be missing from the festivities?
10. Why was Eliza likely to have suggested to Solomon that he may be better off dead than dealing with Tibeats?
(a) Because Eliza thought that Solomon could not defend himself against Tibeats, Cook, and Ramsay.
(b) Because Eliza lived in misery and saw no way out for others or herself.
(c) Because Eliza did not know that Solomon could handle Tibeats.
(d) Because she had overheard Tibeats say that he planned to kill Solomon.
11. What was the reason upon which Solomon based his bellief that Bass had left Marksville quietly?
(a) He was not sure that he had performed his carpentry work to the liking of Avery.
(b) He did not want anything else to do with Solomon.
(c) So that he (Bass) could help him with his endeavor of regaining his freedom.
(d) He had business to take care of in New Orleans.
12. Why did Solomon have a different attitude about working for Judge Turner?
(a) Because Judge Turner paid him and he felt rewarded for his work.
(b) Because he and Judge Turner were friends.
(c) Because Judge Turner and William Ford were friends; and Solomon wanted to make a good impression.
(d) Because Judge Turner provideed very good meals for his workers.
13. Who was the slaves' best-loved plantation owner in Bayou Bœuf?
(a) Mary McCoy.
(b) Edwin Epps.
(c) William Ford.
(d) John Tibeats.
14. Which male pair below provided Solomon with sweet type work?
(a) Mr. Hawkins and Judge Turner.
(b) Mistress Ford and Mr. Hawkins.
(c) William Ford and Mr. Eldret.
(d) Edwin Epps and William Ford.
15. For what reason did Epps give Solomon what turned out to be his last whipping?
(a) For stealing from him.
(b) For oversleeping.
(c) For lying.
(d) For having forgotten to clean out the carriage house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the nature of the meetings that Bass held with Solomon with regard to restoring his freedom?
2. Overall, what was Epps most concerned about when Solomon fell ill?
3. Why did Solomon not want the other slaves to know about his past?
4. What type of person did John Tibeats prove himself to be doing during the time that Solomon was working for Mr. Eldret?
5. What did the fact that Epps bought a large plantation that the slaves had actually earned for him reveal about him?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)