|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 21-22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was an important factor to the slaves at the time that they were sold?
(a) That their physical strengths be accurately given to the buyers.
(b) That feuding slave family members be sold to different dealers.
(c) That they be sold for the highest price possible.
(d) That slave family members be sold and kept together.
2. How was Solomon's hiring by Avery fateful in nature?
(a) Solomon met Bass while working for Avery.
(b) Solomon had learned carpentry from his father.
(c) Avery paid Solomon for the work that he did for him.
(d) Solomon began working for Avery on a full-time basis.
3. What did Solomon receive for Christmas, 1852?
(a) An aluminum plate and a set of utensils.
(b) An update from Bass on the effort to free him from slavery.
(c) An extended vacation period from Epps.
(d) A fish trap that he had always wanted.
4. What was the basis of the quarrel that took place between Solomon and Burch?
(a) Whether Solomon was a hard worker.
(b) Whether Solomon was a free man.
(c) Whether Solomon was jealous of Burch.
(d) Whether Solomon was stronger than Burch.
5. What step if any, did Edwin Epps take to try to hold onto Solomon?
(a) He reviewed the purchase papers that he had received from John Tibeats.
(b) He prayed that Solomon would somehow be returned to the plantation.
(c) He plotted to hold up the carriage carrying the Sheriff, Lawyer Henry B. Northrup, and Solomon.
(d) He hired a lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Author Northrup's description of the Christmastime gatherings attended by slaves and plantation owners, what seemed to be missing from the festivities?
2. How did Solomon Northrup view himself in terms of knowledge about slavery in the United States?
3. Why did William Ford feel obligated to settle his brother's debt?
4. How was Solomon able to get directions to Ford's Plantation after his run through the Great Pacoudrie Swamp?
5. What had changed with regard to Solomon's family?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)