|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mitch was Morrie's student, Morrie decided to call him Mitch instead of Mitchell. Why?
2. What does one get after finishing the one last class described in "The Curriculum"?
3. After reading about horrific crimes and intolerable cruelty in the newspaper, Mitch showed a kind gesture towards Morrie. What did he do?
4. In relation to the one last class referred to as the book opens, when is the student/are the students required to produce a paper?
5. In "Taking Attendance", Mitch flew to London for his job. What did he cover while he's there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the rewards of Mitch's professional success?
2. Mitch was surprised in his first Tuesday meeting with Morrie to find out Morrie was still following the news. What did Morrie feel after watching the news?
3. How did Morrie begin the conversation about death on the fourth Tuesday?
4. In relation to his hobby, what was one of the highlights in Morrie's life?
5. Provide a few of Mitch's professional accomplishments.
6. Why did Morrie never want to work in a factory?
7. When Mitch flashes back to his college days, he thinks about the times he and Morrie had lunch together. What did Morrie do when he and Mitch had lunch together?
8. What did Mitch think when he saw how Morrie's many friends wanted to call and talk to him?
9. Instead of joining the Peace Corps or climbing mountains in Tibet, what did Mitch do with his life?
10. What was Mitch's reaction to his uncle's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the book, Mitch says he wants to remember Morrie's voice. How did he make that happen, and why is it so important to him?
Essay Topic 2
In the fall of 1994, Morrie Schwartz taught his last course at Brandeis. What was special about that class? What did Morrie mean by the statement that he would understand if anyone wanted to drop the course? Please expand upon the theme represented by this final class, and the effect Morrie's statement about dropping the class had on students.
Essay Topic 3
Mitch's priorities changed over the progress of the book. Describe the personal changes Mitch underwent through his time with Morrie. Please provide specific examples from the text.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)