|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are people suspicious when Fleur survives drowning?
2. Where does Napoleon go to sell horses?
3. What is wrong with the bear?
4. Where does Fleur go in the summer of 1913?
5. Nanapush is considered an elder but is only how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Pauline escapes from Argus.
2. Discuss Fleur's drowning and her association with the water man.
3. Describe what Bernadette does for a living.
4. Discuss why Fleur and Nanapush do not utter the names of the dead.
5. Why is Pauline so fascinated with Fleur and Eli?
6. Discuss the bear that appears when Lulu is born.
7. Describe the ritual of burying the dead and sitting over them.
8. Describe Eli and how he differs in character from his own family.
9. Describe how Nanapush saves Moses from the sickness.
10. Describe Fleur's cabin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of home. Margaret says the Kashpaw place is where people survive and stick together. The Pillager home seems to be plagued by turmoil and death. Why are ther different auras around each home? What do the Native Americans believe about the home and the land on which the home is built?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference in generation. Nector is compared to Eli, Lulu to Fleur. What changes from older to younger? What do those changes mean for the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difficulties of introducing a new religion, like Christianity, into a long standing religion centered on cultural traditions.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)