|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What killed a large number of Anishinabe in 1912?
2. Where does Fleur go in the summer of 1913?
3. Who does Pauline attempt to have a relationship with?
4. How old is Pauline when she first meets Fleur?
5. Who does Pauline tell about Sophie being at the Pillagers'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Pauline is drawn to Fleur when the meet in Argus.
2. Describe how Fleur lives at Matchimanito after Nanapush revives her from the sickness.
3. How does Nanapush's speech to Lulu about the things he has seen and done in his life encompass the entire history of the Native American? (1st full paragraph on page 2)
4. Why is Pauline so fascinated with Fleur and Eli?
5. What is the result of Eli and Sophie's afternoon together?
6. What is the town suspicious of when Fleur returns from Argus? What signs do they use to back up the rumors?
7. Explain the relationship between Fleur and Nanapush.
8. What is Nanapush's impression of Pauline?
9. Pauline is intrigued by Fleur's effect on men from the first time they meet. How does Pauline interact with men?
10. Discuss Fleur's drowning and her association with the water man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Pauline's image of herself as a martyr. Are her feelings justified? If so, by what? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Is Pauline suffering from delusions of grandeur? Support your position with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nanapush's character. Does he change from beginning to end? How? What causes any changes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nanapush's ties to the land.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)