|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fleur put Pauline and Russell to sleep?
2. Why do the men attack Fleur?
3. What killed a large number of Anishinabe in 1912?
4. How much money does Pauline give Fleur to play poker?
5. What is the baby's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the town of Argus like?
2. Discuss Pukwan Sr.'s fear and frustration at Fleur's cabin.
3. Discuss why Fleur and Nanapush do not utter the names of the dead.
4. Explain the relationship between Fleur and Nanapush.
5. Describe what Bernadette does for a living.
6. Describe how Fleur lives at Matchimanito after Nanapush revives her from the sickness.
7. Compare and contrast Fleur and Pauline.
8. Describe Eli and how he differs in character from his own family.
9. Discuss why Pauline is drawn to Fleur when the meet in Argus.
10. What is Pauline's plan to lure Eli away from Fleur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of gambling in the lives of Native American and in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language of the story. Nanapush speaks like nature while Pauline is more civilized. How do these differences work together? How do they present a complete story of the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities between Lulu and her mother. What changes those similar qualities? Why is Lulu unable to remain pure Indian? Why do you think Fleur does not return for Lulu or Nanapush?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)