|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grotowski claims in "Towards a Poor Theatre" (Chapter 1) that his productions are detailed investigations of the _____ relationship.
2. Whose rhythm exercises does Grotowski find most important?
3. What does Grotowski compare his work with actors to, as opposed to that of the artist or the scientist in "The Theatre's New Testament"?
4. Who played the role of the King in Grotowski's production of "The Constant Prince"?
5. Grotowski states in "Theatre is an Encounter" that the characters of the Odyssey are still actual because there are still _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grotowski write of "rich theatre" in "Towards a Poor Theatre" (Chapter 1)?
2. Describe the critical review of "The Constant Prince" from the text.
3. Describe the different "encounters" which take place in the theatre. What does "encounter" mean?
4. What does Grotowski write of the "life-mask" in "Towards a Poor Theatre" (Chapter 1)?
5. Describe the costumes of "Akropolis". What do they contribute to the play's interpretation?
6. How does Grotowski describe the training at the Theatre Laboratory? What kind of actors does it produce?
7. What does Grotowski assert was Artaud's greatest contribution to the theatre?
8. How does the resetting of "Akropolis" change the central question of the play?
9. How does Grotowski answer the interviewer in "The Theatre's New Testament" about the association of the Theatre Laboratory with science?
10. What reward can the "holy" actor hope to achieve for his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Grotowski's assessment of Antonin Artaud. What does Grotowski say regarding the ability to put Artaud's theories into action?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the entire repertoire of exercises in Grotowski's work from 1966. How did Grotowski's methods change from the previous period? What are the major categories of exercises? What are their purposes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the "courtesan actor" and the "holy actor." What is Grotowski's opinion of each and why?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)