|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Artaud write a letter to which said, "I am not entirely myself?"
2. Grotowski states in "Theatre is an Encounter" that Meyerhold's production of "The Inspector General" was a sort of collage of the texts of _____.
3. In "Dr Faustus: Textual Montage", it is written that the play is a dialectic between mockery and _____.
4. Grotowski talks of catharsis in comparing how the audience feels for Creon versus _____.
5. What does Grotowski say that he and his actors are trying to avoid in "Towards a Poor Theatre" (Chapter 1)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Grotowski adapt the text of "Dr. Faustus" from the original script?
2. Describe the different "encounters" which take place in the theatre. What does "encounter" mean?
3. How does Grotowski answer the interviewer in "The Theatre's New Testament" about the association of the Theatre Laboratory with science?
4. How does Grotowski describe Artaud's theories in "He Wasn't Entirely Himself"?
5. How is the staging and costuming arranged in "The Constant Prince"?
6. Describe what "trance" and "excess" are as described in "The Theatre's New Testament."
7. How does Grotowski's "Dr. Faustus" end?
8. How is Dr. Faustus considered a saint and martyr in the play produced by Grotowski?
9. What does Grotowski write of the "life-mask" in "Towards a Poor Theatre" (Chapter 1)?
10. What does Grotowski write of "rich theatre" in "Towards a Poor Theatre" (Chapter 1)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "textual montage" and describe how this was used in "Dr. Faustus". What other textual adaptations did Grotowski make to the script, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Grotowski's position regarding the use of gimmicks, tricks, and typical skills established in most mainstream acting training.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the "courtesan actor" and the "holy actor." What is Grotowski's opinion of each and why?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)