|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Haji, who else in his household treated Greg like a son, and laughed while he made tea?
2. What did the captors give Greg, at his request, on the third day of his captivity?
3. When Greg traveled to Waziristan, he saw heavily armed men doing what?
4. Which new CAI board member helped create a library at the Korphe school?
5. What was the name of Mohammed Aslam Khan's daughter, who excelled academically after Greg build a school in their village?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the rain stopped in Korphe, how did Greg get started with building the bridge?
2. Why did Greg start a new project for clean water, as explained in Chapters 13 through 16?
3. When Greg expressed his disappointment about the Korphe school's progress, what did Haji Ali point out about the school?
4. What did Greg admit to Twaha about his relationship with Marina?
5. What warning did Haji Ali give Greg, since Greg traveled around the country a lot?
6. Who suggested Greg make school building his life work, and why?
7. According to Chapters 13 through 16, who made up the new CAI board?
8. Why did Greg tell his Waziristan captors about his wife's pregnancy, and that she was due in less than a month?
9. How did Hoerni insist that George McGowan could help Greg with his school projects?
10. Who is Ghulam Parvi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Korphe wanted a bridge. Greg not only did not have the money to build it, he was reluctant to have a bridge connecting the outside world to Korphe. What did the bridge symbolize to the people, and what did it symbolize to Greg? Provide details from the book in responses.
Essay Topic 2
How did Greg's personal and professional lives begin to fall apart with the mounting difficulties of his work in Pakistan; and what were some of these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
How is the tenacity of climbing seen in various aspects of Greg's life, as detailed in the book?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)