|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Greg agree to stay while in Waziristan?
2. Besides Haji, who else in his household treated Greg like a son, and laughed while he made tea?
3. At one point in Chapters 13 through 16, it is mentioned that Tara went to Pakistan, bringing ___ along.
4. Who insisted that a certain person pay Greg's personal living expenses while Greg continued his projects?
5. Greg began a new project to bring ___ to people in rural areas in an effort to reduce infant mortality.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wrote Greg a check to build the Korphe bridge?
2. According to Chapters 13 through 16, who made up the new CAI board?
3. Who suggested Greg make school building his life work, and why?
4. Why did Greg tell his Waziristan captors about his wife's pregnancy, and that she was due in less than a month?
5. What did Twaha tell Greg about finding the right woman?
6. Why did Greg hire additional teachers for the government school mentioned in Chapters 13 through 16?
7. Why did Greg hire Parvi and Suleman when he returned to Pakistan, as detailed in Chapters 13 through 16?
8. According to Chapters 13 through 16, why did Greg start taking his meals in the kitchen?
9. Where did Greg and Tara Bishop meet and how did their relationship develop?
10. Why did Hoerni call Greg shortly after Greg's first child was born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Greg's relationship with Dr. Villard develop, and eventually lead to disappointment; and how did this relationship exemplify the level of Greg's commitment to the Korphe school project, as well as his feelings toward Dr. Villard?
Essay Topic 2
The people of Korphe wanted a bridge. Greg not only did not have the money to build it, he was reluctant to have a bridge connecting the outside world to Korphe. What did the bridge symbolize to the people, and what did it symbolize to Greg? Provide details from the book in responses.
Essay Topic 3
Once Greg had the money to buy building supplies for the Korphe school he had many challenges to overcome. Explain these challenges, and any resolutions. How did this experience help Greg for future projects? Hinder him for current projects?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)