|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Greg send away after they arrived in Korphe, so he could stay and spend more time with the people?
2. What color were the native outfits that Greg got?
3. What very rare ingredient was served to Greg with his tea in Korphe, indicating Greg was given the best of all the village had to offer?
4. What was the only direct route to Korphe before the bridge?
5. Where was Fort Leonardwood located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Greg and Mouzafer reconnect after Greg got lost the first time, after the failed K2 climb?
2. In Chapters 6 through 9, why was Greg fired by his boss when he returned to work after his time in Pakistan?
3. How did Greg avoid the cost of an apartment once back in the U.S., after he made the promise to build a school in Korphe?
4. What did Haji Ali and Greg talk about that the people needed before a school could be built?
5. Why was Greg ambivalent about a relationship with Dr. Villard?
6. What was Greg's attitude about spending money in Pakistan for his travel and accommodations?
7. Why was Korphe so isolated?
8. Why did Greg turn his disappointment about the Korphe school project, and the needed bridge, onto himself?
9. What did Greg find on the day he visited the Korphe "school"?
10. Who were Greg's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened with Greg in Waziristan? What other incidents and/or situations indicated the personal danger Greg was in as he worked and traveled in these foreign nations?
Essay Topic 2
What was CAI, and how did Greg use this organization to facilitate his educational vision for Pakistan and parts of Afghanistan?
Essay Topic 3
How did Greg's relationship with Dr. Villard develop, and eventually lead to disappointment; and how did this relationship exemplify the level of Greg's commitment to the Korphe school project, as well as his feelings toward Dr. Villard?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)