|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became Greg's guide as he bought supplies for the Korphe school?
2. Back home in ________ ,in Chapters 1 through 5, Greg began writing letters to people he thought would donate to his school project.
3. When Greg got the news about building the bridge, with whom was he most disappointed?
4. After Greg arrived in Pakistan with the money to build the Korphe school, where did he go to get a room?
5. In one village, ___ village elders, along with the person Greg entrusted with the Korphe school supplies, insisted that Greg build a school in their village.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Greg avoid the cost of an apartment once back in the U.S., after he made the promise to build a school in Korphe?
2. What type of room accommodation did Greg have in Rawalpindi?
3. Why did Greg and the hired truck driver stay parked overnight on the road while transporting Korphe school building supplies?
4. Why did Greg turn his disappointment about the Korphe school project, and the needed bridge, onto himself?
5. What happened with Greg's relationship with Marina when he returned to the U.S., expecting her to meet him upon arrival?
6. Why was Greg ambivalent about a relationship with Dr. Villard?
7. What did Haji Ali and Greg talk about that the people needed before a school could be built?
8. Why was Korphe so isolated?
9. What did Greg find on the day he visited the Korphe "school"?
10. Who were Greg's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is argued that Greg's projects helped build up Pakistan and Afghanistan, and at the same time fight terrorism. Greg is described by Relin as someone with the ability to pull people together from all levels of Pakistan society, and from among all the warring factions of Islam into his realm of supporting this work. Based on the details presented in the book, do you agree or disagree with these statements, and why? Provide details from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How did 9/11 affect Greg's work in Pakistan and Afghanistan; his pleas for help, as well as his safety and that of his family?
Essay Topic 3
Define Greg's religious belief as a young man, and how his time in Rawalpindi impacted his religious belief system. Provide details from the book to support your response.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)