|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supplies for the school did Greg and his guide buy first, that could not be bargained?
2. Greg was reluctant to contact the donor of the $12,000 for the Korphe school to say he failed, but ___ convinced him to call the donor, so Greg called.
3. What very rare ingredient was served to Greg with his tea in Korphe, indicating Greg was given the best of all the village had to offer?
4. How much money did the students at Greg's mother's school raise for Greg's project with their pennies fund-raising effort?
5. How many times did Greg call his girlfriend while he was away in Pakistan, according to Chapters 6 through 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Greg find on the day he visited the Korphe "school"?
2. Why did Greg and the hired truck driver stay parked overnight on the road while transporting Korphe school building supplies?
3. Why was Greg ambivalent about a relationship with Dr. Villard?
4. How did Greg lose his dad and his sister Christa?
5. Once back in the states, after the disappointing news at Korphe, why was Greg reluctant to call Hoerni?
6. What did Haji Ali and Greg talk about that the people needed before a school could be built?
7. Spending time in Korphe, what did Greg soon realize about the Korphe people?
8. Why did Greg turn his disappointment about the Korphe school project, and the needed bridge, onto himself?
9. What type of room accommodation did Greg have in Rawalpindi?
10. How did Greg avoid the cost of an apartment once back in the U.S., after he made the promise to build a school in Korphe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Besides Hoerni, what people other significantly impacted Greg's completion of the Korphe projects, and what were their specific contributions?
Essay Topic 2
Greg and Haji Ali developed a relationship overtime. Describe this relationship, as well as how this relationship connected Greg with other members of Haji's family. How did any of these relationships help Greg as he worked on the projects not just in Korphe, but later in other parts of Pakistan.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Korphe wanted a bridge. Greg not only did not have the money to build it, he was reluctant to have a bridge connecting the outside world to Korphe. What did the bridge symbolize to the people, and what did it symbolize to Greg? Provide details from the book in responses.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)