|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Greg was the ___ child of his parents.
2. What was the first name of Greg's mother?
3. After the disappointment in Korphe Greg returned stateside to _____.
4. Who did Greg send away after they arrived in Korphe, so he could stay and spend more time with the people?
5. Greg's parents worked as missionaries in what country, building teaching hospitals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Greg and the hired truck driver stay parked overnight on the road while transporting Korphe school building supplies?
2. Once back in the states, after the disappointing news at Korphe, why was Greg reluctant to call Hoerni?
3. How was Greg treated by the people of Korphe when he stumbled upon their village after getting lost a second time?
4. How did Greg and Mouzafer reconnect after Greg got lost the first time, after the failed K2 climb?
5. What did Changazi and two of his village elders want Greg to do with the Korphe school building supplies?
6. In Chapters 6 through 9, why was Greg fired by his boss when he returned to work after his time in Pakistan?
7. What did Haji Ali and Greg talk about that the people needed before a school could be built?
8. Why was Greg worried about the Korphe school building supplies that he left in the care of Changazi until he could arrange to get them the rest of the way to Korphe?
9. What did Greg find on the day he visited the Korphe "school"?
10. Why was Korphe so isolated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Korphe wanted a bridge. Greg not only did not have the money to build it, he was reluctant to have a bridge connecting the outside world to Korphe. What did the bridge symbolize to the people, and what did it symbolize to Greg? Provide details from the book in responses.
Essay Topic 2
It is argued that Greg's projects helped build up Pakistan and Afghanistan, and at the same time fight terrorism. Greg is described by Relin as someone with the ability to pull people together from all levels of Pakistan society, and from among all the warring factions of Islam into his realm of supporting this work. Based on the details presented in the book, do you agree or disagree with these statements, and why? Provide details from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Besides Hoerni, what people other significantly impacted Greg's completion of the Korphe projects, and what were their specific contributions?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)