|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Greg quickly produce the rest of the donation letters after they found out about his project?
2. What was the only item Greg had with him when he got lost after the failed climb?
3. Where was the school located that Greg went to raise money for the school project, and where his mother had been the school principal?
4. In Chapters 6 through 9, who did Greg expect to meet him upon his return stateside?
5. What was the hired truck's destination that carried the Korphe school supplies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Greg lose his dad and his sister Christa?
2. How did Greg avoid the cost of an apartment once back in the U.S., after he made the promise to build a school in Korphe?
3. Once back in the states, after the disappointing news at Korphe, why was Greg reluctant to call Hoerni?
4. How did Kishwar Syed help Greg with his letter writing effort to raise money for the Korphe school project?
5. What was Greg's attitude about spending money in Pakistan for his travel and accommodations?
6. How did Greg use his medical training to help the people of Korphe?
7. How did Greg get so tired that he lost sight of his guide and fellow climber and then got lost, after the failed K2 attempt?
8. Why was Korphe so isolated?
9. Who were Greg's parents?
10. Who helped Greg purchase Korphe school supplies, and how did he help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once Greg had the money to buy building supplies for the Korphe school he had many challenges to overcome. Explain these challenges, and any resolutions. How did this experience help Greg for future projects? Hinder him for current projects?
Essay Topic 2
It is argued that Greg's projects helped build up Pakistan and Afghanistan, and at the same time fight terrorism. Greg is described by Relin as someone with the ability to pull people together from all levels of Pakistan society, and from among all the warring factions of Islam into his realm of supporting this work. Based on the details presented in the book, do you agree or disagree with these statements, and why? Provide details from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the book, Relin described what he called "Mortenson time." Explain this reference. Then, describe how Greg's behavior, from book details, exemplify this concept.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)