|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hired truck that carried the Korphe school supplies was stopped en route due to local ____.
2. Hiking back to civilization after the failed climb, Greg lost sight of fellow hiker _____ and got lost.
3. How many native outfits did Greg order when his supply guide took him to get native clothing?
4. Who told Greg he could not build the school until he first built a bridge?
5. After visiting the Korphe school, who did Greg tell he would build a school for the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Greg hire Parvi and Suleman when he returned to Pakistan, as detailed in Chapters 13 through 16?
2. How did Greg use his medical training to help the people of Korphe?
3. Who suggested Greg make school building his life work, and why?
4. Back in Pakistan, Greg had a house that had been permanently set aside for when he came to Korphe, and in this house he held meetings for what?
5. What happened to surprise Greg at a fundraising event he set up, where only six people came, and he had put out chairs for 200?
6. What did Greg find on the day he visited the Korphe "school"?
7. Why did Hoerni call Greg shortly after Greg's first child was born?
8. Why did Greg tell his Waziristan captors about his wife's pregnancy, and that she was due in less than a month?
9. What warning did Haji Ali give Greg, since Greg traveled around the country a lot?
10. Why was Greg ambivalent about a relationship with Dr. Villard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is argued that Greg's projects helped build up Pakistan and Afghanistan, and at the same time fight terrorism. Greg is described by Relin as someone with the ability to pull people together from all levels of Pakistan society, and from among all the warring factions of Islam into his realm of supporting this work. Based on the details presented in the book, do you agree or disagree with these statements, and why? Provide details from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
What projects did Greg complete in Korphe, as detailed in the book, and how did each completed project impact the women of Korphe?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did Greg and Christa's relationship have on each of their lives, and what kind of relationship did they have? Provide details from the book to support responses.
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)