|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one village, ___ village elders, along with the person Greg entrusted with the Korphe school supplies, insisted that Greg build a school in their village.
2. Where was the school located that Greg went to raise money for the school project, and where his mother had been the school principal?
3. Who offered to have a school built before winter, if Greg built a school in their village instead of in Korphe?
4. After Greg had the money to build the school in Korphe, he went back to Pakistan and got a ___ .
5. What was the name of the copy shop that did not have typewriters when Greg needed to rent one to finish his donation letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Greg ambivalent about a relationship with Dr. Villard?
2. What did Changazi and two of his village elders want Greg to do with the Korphe school building supplies?
3. What type of room accommodation did Greg have in Rawalpindi?
4. Why did Greg turn his disappointment about the Korphe school project, and the needed bridge, onto himself?
5. How did Greg and Mouzafer reconnect after Greg got lost the first time, after the failed K2 climb?
6. What happened with Greg's relationship with Marina when he returned to the U.S., expecting her to meet him upon arrival?
7. How did Greg avoid the cost of an apartment once back in the U.S., after he made the promise to build a school in Korphe?
8. Who helped Greg purchase Korphe school supplies, and how did he help?
9. How did Kishwar Syed help Greg with his letter writing effort to raise money for the Korphe school project?
10. Once back in the states, after the disappointing news at Korphe, why was Greg reluctant to call Hoerni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Korphe wanted a bridge. Greg not only did not have the money to build it, he was reluctant to have a bridge connecting the outside world to Korphe. What did the bridge symbolize to the people, and what did it symbolize to Greg? Provide details from the book in responses.
Essay Topic 2
What did the "three cups of tea" symbolize in Haji's discussion with Greg about the people? Discuss Greg's response as well.
Essay Topic 3
It is argued that Greg's projects helped build up Pakistan and Afghanistan, and at the same time fight terrorism. Greg is described by Relin as someone with the ability to pull people together from all levels of Pakistan society, and from among all the warring factions of Islam into his realm of supporting this work. Based on the details presented in the book, do you agree or disagree with these statements, and why? Provide details from the book to support your argument.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)