|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the villagers promise to go out and look for the next day after Greg was welcomed into Korphe?
2. Greg did not fit in during his teens until he went where?
3. What very rare ingredient was served to Greg with his tea in Korphe, indicating Greg was given the best of all the village had to offer?
4. Where was the school located that Greg went to raise money for the school project, and where his mother had been the school principal?
5. Where did Greg attend high school after returning to the U.S. as a teen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Korphe so isolated?
2. Who were Greg's parents?
3. Once back in the states, after the disappointing news at Korphe, why was Greg reluctant to call Hoerni?
4. What was Greg's attitude about spending money in Pakistan for his travel and accommodations?
5. What did Changazi and two of his village elders want Greg to do with the Korphe school building supplies?
6. How did Greg use his medical training to help the people of Korphe?
7. In Chapters 6 through 9, why was Greg fired by his boss when he returned to work after his time in Pakistan?
8. How did Kishwar Syed help Greg with his letter writing effort to raise money for the Korphe school project?
9. Why was Greg ambivalent about a relationship with Dr. Villard?
10. Why was Greg worried about the Korphe school building supplies that he left in the care of Changazi until he could arrange to get them the rest of the way to Korphe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify CAI students from the book and discuss how the Korphe and/or CAI schools/projects positively impacted their lives.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book, Relin described what he called "Mortenson time." Explain this reference. Then, describe how Greg's behavior, from book details, exemplify this concept.
Essay Topic 3
What happened with Greg in Waziristan? What other incidents and/or situations indicated the personal danger Greg was in as he worked and traveled in these foreign nations?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)