|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medal did Norman Bowker almost win?
2. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
3. How many soldiers are said to be in the platoon?
4. What does the author say about truth?
5. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tim after he kills the man in the path with a grenade?
2. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
3. What is the purpose of the visit to the battlefield where Kiowa was killed?
4. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
5. What does the dancing girl symbolize to you?
6. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
7. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
8. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
9. What does Tim invent about the man he killed?
10. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Things They Carried" is very specific about the items the men carried into battle. Choose three significant objects and explain who they belong to, why it was considered important, and what the object represented for the soldier and the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the moral you see in the story of Tim getting even with Bobby Jorgenson. How does the story handle the themes of revenge, forgiveness, and personal responsibility against the back drop of a war?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the war stories in "The Things They Carried," the men carry and discuss a certain superstition for luck. Detail places in the novel where luck is given importance, and explore its role in explaining the events happening around the platoon. How do the men treat the concept of luck? How does the narrator/author wish the reader to interpret luck as it applies to the various characters?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)