|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
2. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
3. What question does Tim's daughter ask him?
4. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
5. Who is curious about if the narrator killed anybody?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
2. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
3. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
4. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
5. What was Tim's first experience with death?
6. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
7. Contrast the two times Tim was shot.
8. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
9. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
10. How is Norma Bowker's life before the war and after the war contrasted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most novels have critic blurbs on the cover or in media advertising for the book. Choose one critic's blurb about "The Things They Carried" and respond to the quote. Do you agree or disagree with the critic's assessment of the novel, and where is there evidence in the novel to support your point of view?
Essay Topic 2
"The Things They Carried: A Work of Fiction" is described as 22 short stories tied into a novel. Select a chapter from the novel and explain how the title relates to the story, and evaluate if the chapter could stand alone as a short story. Identify its weaknesses and strengths and how it fulfills or fails to satisfy the requirements of a story: beginning, middle and end.
Essay Topic 3
Chronicle the beginning, growth, and ultimate end of the one of the following relationships: Curt Lemon/Rat Kiley; Dave Jensen/Lee Strunk. Be sure to explain how major and minor events affected the relationship, and how the surviving party handled the loss of a friend.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)