|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
2. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
3. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
4. How do the men in the platoon treat Tim when they run into him at the supply command?
5. What did Kiowa's father do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry Dobbins and Azar disagree about the girl's motive to dance?
2. How is Norma Bowker's life before the war and after the war contrasted?
3. What was Tim's first experience with death?
4. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
5. Contrast the two times Tim was shot.
6. What is the purpose of the visit to the battlefield where Kiowa was killed?
7. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
8. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
9. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
10. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the moral you see in the story of Tim getting even with Bobby Jorgenson. How does the story handle the themes of revenge, forgiveness, and personal responsibility against the back drop of a war?
Essay Topic 2
"The Things They Carried" is very specific about the items the men carried into battle. Choose three significant objects and explain who they belong to, why it was considered important, and what the object represented for the soldier and the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the war stories in "The Things They Carried," the men carry and discuss a certain superstition for luck. Detail places in the novel where luck is given importance, and explore its role in explaining the events happening around the platoon. How do the men treat the concept of luck? How does the narrator/author wish the reader to interpret luck as it applies to the various characters?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)