|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
2. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
3. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
4. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
5. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the dancing girl symbolize to you?
2. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
3. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
4. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
5. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
6. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
7. What is the purpose of the visit to the battlefield where Kiowa was killed?
8. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
9. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
10. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Things They Carried" is very specific about the items the men carried into battle. Choose three significant objects and explain who they belong to, why it was considered important, and what the object represented for the soldier and the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the moral you see in the story of Tim getting even with Bobby Jorgenson. How does the story handle the themes of revenge, forgiveness, and personal responsibility against the back drop of a war?
Essay Topic 3
Chronicle the beginning, growth, and ultimate end of the one of the following relationships: Curt Lemon/Rat Kiley; Dave Jensen/Lee Strunk. Be sure to explain how major and minor events affected the relationship, and how the surviving party handled the loss of a friend.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)