|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
2. What event causes Tim to revise "Speaking of Courage," following Norman Bowker's advice?
3. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
4. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
5. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Things They Carried" tackles the theme of death in numerous ways. There are accountings of anticipated deaths, surprise deaths, and even brushes with near-death. Explore how the novel handles each type of death, and the overall message the book communicates about this universal theme. Be sure to cite specific textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
The story of Kiowa's death is told from at least two different point of views. Using all textual evidence and your own assumptions, what do you think really happened? What was the role of Norman Bowker, Lieutenant Cross, and Tim O'Brien? Who is the most responsible for Kiowa's death?
Essay Topic 3
If you were Tim writing a letter to his daughter Kathleen, either at her age now or the age she is in the book, what would be the most important aspects of your experiences in the war that you would want to share with her and teach her about the world?
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)