|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
2. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
3. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
4. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
5. How do the men in the platoon treat Tim when they run into him at the supply command?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry Dobbins and Azar disagree about the girl's motive to dance?
2. What was Tim's first experience with death?
3. What does the dancing girl symbolize to you?
4. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
5. Explain who feels blame for Kiowa's death.
6. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
7. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
8. Contrast the two times Tim was shot.
9. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
10. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most novels have critic blurbs on the cover or in media advertising for the book. Choose one critic's blurb about "The Things They Carried" and respond to the quote. Do you agree or disagree with the critic's assessment of the novel, and where is there evidence in the novel to support your point of view?
Essay Topic 2
"The Things They Carried" is very specific about the items the men carried into battle. Choose three significant objects and explain who they belong to, why it was considered important, and what the object represented for the soldier and the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze how we can tell the author has cleaned up or edited the story in one of the following cases: Curt Lemon going trick-or-treating on Halloween, the death of Kiowa, the story of Morty Phillips, the story of the sweetheart of Song Tra Bong. What additional details can the reader assume from the information contained in the text? What was likely to be the 'truth' ?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)