|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do Henry Dobbins and Norman Bowker play?
2. How is Henry Dobbins described by the narrator?
3. Where is Lee Strunk when Dave Jensen shows his broken nose?
4. What company are the men in?
5. What object is Mitchell Sanders described with each time he is talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Curt Lemon afraid of the dentist?
2. Why is the story of Rat Kiley killing the baby water buffalo a "love" story?
3. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
4. What happens to Tim after he kills the man in the path with a grenade?
5. How did things start when Mary Anne first arrived, and how did they change?
6. How did Tim see Curt Lemon's personality?
7. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
8. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
9. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
10. What does Tim invent about the man he killed?
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle the beginning, growth, and ultimate end of the one of the following relationships: Curt Lemon/Rat Kiley; Dave Jensen/Lee Strunk. Be sure to explain how major and minor events affected the relationship, and how the surviving party handled the loss of a friend.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Lieutenant Cross's responsibility or perceived responsibility in the various deaths of his men. How does he react to each one? Do his actions live up to his words and thoughts of improvement as a leader?
Essay Topic 3
The story of Kiowa's death is told from at least two different point of views. Using all textual evidence and your own assumptions, what do you think really happened? What was the role of Norman Bowker, Lieutenant Cross, and Tim O'Brien? Who is the most responsible for Kiowa's death?
This section contains 2,210 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)