|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mitchell Sanders call 'Nam'?
2. Who does Azar give a chocolate bar to?
3. "If you weren't humping, you were __________."
4. What happens to Lee Strunk?
5. When Kiowa says "No choice, Tim. What else could you do?" what can we assume he is talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the story of Rat Kiley killing the baby water buffalo a "love" story?
2. Explain how the rhyme "Step out of line, hit a mine; follow the dink, you're in the pink." changed meanings?
3. Explain why you think Dave Jensen is so upset someone stole from him.
4. Who was Elroy Berdahl and what is his significance to the narrator?
5. How did Tim see Curt Lemon's personality?
6. Why do the men like checkers?
7. How does the incident of the broken noses affect the relationship between Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk?
8. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
9. How does Curt Lemon recover from his personal failure at the dentist?
10. How are the terms of the death pact ultimately carried out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were Tim writing a letter to his daughter Kathleen, either at her age now or the age she is in the book, what would be the most important aspects of your experiences in the war that you would want to share with her and teach her about the world?
Essay Topic 2
Most novels have critic blurbs on the cover or in media advertising for the book. Choose one critic's blurb about "The Things They Carried" and respond to the quote. Do you agree or disagree with the critic's assessment of the novel, and where is there evidence in the novel to support your point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Chronicle the beginning, growth, and ultimate end of the one of the following relationships: Curt Lemon/Rat Kiley; Dave Jensen/Lee Strunk. Be sure to explain how major and minor events affected the relationship, and how the surviving party handled the loss of a friend.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)