Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jimmy ask Tim to portray him in the book he is writing?
2. What part of Lee Strunk's body is broken?
3. What is another name for a land mine?
4. Who is the sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong?
5. According to the narrator, what is a characteristic of a "true war story?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
2. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
3. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
4. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
5. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
6. How did Tim see Curt Lemon's personality?
7. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
8. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
9. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
10. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
Essay Topic 1
"The Things They Carried: A Work of Fiction" is described as 22 short stories tied into a novel. Select a chapter from the novel and explain how the title relates to the story, and evaluate if the chapter could stand alone as a short story. Identify its weaknesses and strengths and how it fulfills or fails to satisfy the requirements of a story: beginning, middle and end.
Essay Topic 2
"The Things They Carried" is very specific about the items the men carried into battle. Choose three significant objects and explain who they belong to, why it was considered important, and what the object represented for the soldier and the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Can you identify with Kathleen's struggle to understand the war? She asks in the chapter titled "Field Trip" why her father had to fight in the Vietnam War, and what made everyone mad at each other? Do you think wars are generally started over clear issues of disagreement? In either case, do you think that affects the ability of the war to have a resolution?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)