Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jimmy ask Tim to portray him in the book he is writing?
2. What part of Lee Strunk's body is broken?
3. What is another name for a land mine?
4. Who is the sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong?
5. According to the narrator, what is a characteristic of a "true war story?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
2. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
3. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
4. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
5. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
6. How did Tim see Curt Lemon's personality?
7. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
8. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
9. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
10. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
Essay Topic 1
The full stories of the men of Alpha Company in "The Things They Carried" are divided amongst the chapters. As the reader progresses, more details of events are given, and multiple points of view of identical events are written. Choose one main character from the company, and give a full accounting of the character's war experience. How can a reader identify with this character's experience, and what part of the man's story is the hardest for the reader to bear? What was the intent of the author when he divided up the character's story? Was there foreshadowing, irony, or any other literary element employed in the character's war experience?
Essay Topic 2
"The Things They Carried" is very specific about the items the men carried into battle. Choose three significant objects and explain who they belong to, why it was considered important, and what the object represented for the soldier and the reader.
Essay Topic 3
We know very little about the character named Azar, but he appears always present to antagonize the other men in the platoon. Explain how Azar is a flat or round character, his role in the novel, and if there are any other characters like him in "The Things They Carried."
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)