Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jimmy ask Tim to portray him in the book he is writing?
2. What part of Lee Strunk's body is broken?
3. What is another name for a land mine?
4. Who is the sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong?
5. According to the narrator, what is a characteristic of a "true war story?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
2. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
3. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
4. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
5. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
6. How did Tim see Curt Lemon's personality?
7. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
8. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
9. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
10. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
Throughout the war stories in "The Things They Carried," the men carry and discuss a certain superstition for luck. Detail places in the novel where luck is given importance, and explore its role in explaining the events happening around the platoon. How do the men treat the concept of luck? How does the narrator/author wish the reader to interpret luck as it applies to the various characters?
Explain Lieutenant Cross's responsibility or perceived responsibility in the various deaths of his men. How does he react to each one? Do his actions live up to his words and thoughts of improvement as a leader?
Chronicle the beginning, growth, and ultimate end of the one of the following relationships: Curt Lemon/Rat Kiley; Dave Jensen/Lee Strunk. Be sure to explain how major and minor events affected the relationship, and how the surviving party handled the loss of a friend.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)