|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory forced the men to switch from coffee to gin?
2. What does Dave Jensen do with the pistol?
3. On what occasion does Rat Kiley write a letter to a man's sister?
4. What color are Martha's eyes?
5. Which item doubled as a body bag?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men like checkers?
2. Why did the men have to see the dentist?
3. What does Dave Jensen do to make himself square with Lee Strunk?
4. What does Tim invent about the man he killed?
5. What was Tim's first experience with death?
6. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
7. What are Henry Dobbins' tentative plans for after the war?
8. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
9. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
10. Explain Tim's dilemma about <u>how</u> he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Lieutenant Cross's responsibility or perceived responsibility in the various deaths of his men. How does he react to each one? Do his actions live up to his words and thoughts of improvement as a leader?
Essay Topic 2
As a new book critic for a top national newspaper, you have just been assigned the novel "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. Give a full critique of the story and evaluation of the text for other potential readers. What is significant about the novel that makes it a good recommendation for readers? What detracts from the novel's appeal and makes it not a book you would recommend? Finally, is there any way the book ties into modern life and current events to make it timely?
Essay Topic 3
We know very little about the character named Azar, but he appears always present to antagonize the other men in the platoon. Explain how Azar is a flat or round character, his role in the novel, and if there are any other characters like him in "The Things They Carried."
This section contains 2,162 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)