Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jimmy ask Tim to portray him in the book he is writing?
2. What part of Lee Strunk's body is broken?
3. What is another name for a land mine?
4. Who is the sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong?
5. According to the narrator, what is a characteristic of a "true war story?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
2. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
3. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
4. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
5. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
6. How did Tim see Curt Lemon's personality?
7. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
8. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
9. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
10. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
Essay Topic 1
We know very little about the character named Azar, but he appears always present to antagonize the other men in the platoon. Explain how Azar is a flat or round character, his role in the novel, and if there are any other characters like him in "The Things They Carried."
Essay Topic 2
Explain Lieutenant Cross's responsibility or perceived responsibility in the various deaths of his men. How does he react to each one? Do his actions live up to his words and thoughts of improvement as a leader?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the moral you see in the story of Tim getting even with Bobby Jorgenson. How does the story handle the themes of revenge, forgiveness, and personal responsibility against the back drop of a war?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)