|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Ted Lavender killed outside of the village Than Khe?
2. After the letter what does Henry Dobbins decide to do?
3. Where is Tim's first job after college?
4. Who does Tim credit with saving his life?
5. Where does Jimmy Cross stay while he visits Tim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the incident of the broken noses affect the relationship between Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk?
2. What was Martha's response to Jimmy's confession about wanting to hold her knee?
3. Give examples of how the men dealt with death.
4. Why do the men like checkers?
5. Why did the men have to see the dentist?
6. How does the narrator feel about the war in Vietnam?
7. Why does the narrator he is a bad fit to be drafted into the war?
8. Explain why you think Dave Jensen is so upset someone stole from him.
9. How did things start when Mary Anne first arrived, and how did they change?
10. How does Curt Lemon recover from his personal failure at the dentist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Things They Carried" tackles the theme of death in numerous ways. There are accountings of anticipated deaths, surprise deaths, and even brushes with near-death. Explore how the novel handles each type of death, and the overall message the book communicates about this universal theme. Be sure to cite specific textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Can you identify with Kathleen's struggle to understand the war? She asks in the chapter titled "Field Trip" why her father had to fight in the Vietnam War, and what made everyone mad at each other? Do you think wars are generally started over clear issues of disagreement? In either case, do you think that affects the ability of the war to have a resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Lieutenant Cross's responsibility or perceived responsibility in the various deaths of his men. How does he react to each one? Do his actions live up to his words and thoughts of improvement as a leader?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)