|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rat Kiley do to treat Lee Strunk's injury?
2. "A true war story, if truly told, makes the ____________ believe."
3. After his first episode with the dentist, what did Curt Lemon do?
4. What do the men call plane rides home to America?
5. Who are the men order to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to make the platoon believe in the good luck provided by the pantyhose?
2. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
3. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
4. Why did the men have to see the dentist?
5. How does Curt Lemon recover from his personal failure at the dentist?
6. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
7. Why does Rat Kiley write a letter to Curt Lemon's sister, and what does the letter contain?
8. How did Tim see Curt Lemon's personality?
9. Why do you think Martha never married?
10. What was Martha's response to Jimmy's confession about wanting to hold her knee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most novels have critic blurbs on the cover or in media advertising for the book. Choose one critic's blurb about "The Things They Carried" and respond to the quote. Do you agree or disagree with the critic's assessment of the novel, and where is there evidence in the novel to support your point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Can you identify with Kathleen's struggle to understand the war? She asks in the chapter titled "Field Trip" why her father had to fight in the Vietnam War, and what made everyone mad at each other? Do you think wars are generally started over clear issues of disagreement? In either case, do you think that affects the ability of the war to have a resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Lieutenant Cross's responsibility or perceived responsibility in the various deaths of his men. How does he react to each one? Do his actions live up to his words and thoughts of improvement as a leader?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)