|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is a characteristic of a "true war story?"
(a) It takes place during a battle
(b) There is a lesson at the end
(c) Someone dies in it
(d) There is no moral ending
2. "A true war story, if truly told, makes the ____________ believe."
3. Because he is a coward, what does Tim do?
(a) He joins the Peace Corps
(b) He hurts himself
(c) He runs away
(d) He goes to war
4. What does Elroy do to tempt Tim to run away?
(a) He takes Tim fishing right by the border
(b) He promises to lead Tim into Canada
(c) He gives Tim a contact to call in Canada
(d) He speaks out against the war
5. How old is Tim O'Brien when he wrote the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mary Anne Bell in the end, according to Rat Kiley?
2. In what year was the college reunion where Jimmy Cross reunited with Martha?
3. How does Kiowa describe Ted Lavender's death?
4. What personality does Curt Lemon put out for others to see according to the narrator?
5. What does Mitchell Sanders call 'Nam'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Lieutenant Cross's tears misinterpreted after the death of Ted Lavender?
2. How are the terms of the death pact ultimately carried out?
3. How does Lieutenant Cross resolve his responsibility in Ted Lavender's death?
4. What caused Henry Dobbins to rule out a career as a minister?
5. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
6. What was Martha's response to Jimmy's confession about wanting to hold her knee?
7. Give an example of a stark contrast between how the men normally behave, and how the war changes their behavior.
8. Why was Curt Lemon afraid of the dentist?
9. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
10. Who was Elroy Berdahl and what is his significance to the narrator?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)