|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lee Strunk confess to Tim O'Brien in the morning?
(a) He didn't steal Dave Jensen's jackknife, but he knows who did.
(b) He always wanted a nose job
(c) He enjoyed the trip to the medical camp
(d) He stole Dave Jensen's jackknife
2. Which limb does Lee Strunk lose?
(a) Left arm
(b) Left leg
(c) Right arm
(d) Right leg
3. What is Dave Jensen worried about?
(a) Lee Strunk will shoot him
(b) He will step on a booby trap
(c) The rest of the platoon will kill him
(d) Lee Strunk will retaliate
4. What part of Lee Strunk's body is broken?
(a) His nose
(b) His leg
(c) His arm
(d) His ego
5. On what occasion does Rat Kiley write a letter to a man's sister?
(a) The man died
(b) The man was captured
(c) The man was promoted
(d) The man is coming home safely
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tim O'Brien when he wrote the book?
2. How does Kiowa describe Ted Lavender's death?
3. What happened in October to change things for Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk?
4. Who kills Tim Lavender's stray puppy with a Claymore?
5. Who does Tim credit with saving his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
2. How would you describe Martha's "separate-but-together quality" her and Lieutenant Cross share? What does she send to represent this quality?
3. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
4. Give examples of how the men dealt with death.
5. What would you guess happened during the war that Jimmy asked Tim to leave out of his book?
6. Who was Elroy Berdahl and what is his significance to the narrator?
7. How were Lieutenant Cross's tears misinterpreted after the death of Ted Lavender?
8. When Lee Strunk returns from sick bay, how does Dave Jensen react?
9. How did things start when Mary Anne first arrived, and how did they change?
10. Give a description of boredom as used in the novel.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)