|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because he is a coward, what does Tim do?
(a) He goes to war
(b) He runs away
(c) He hurts himself
(d) He joins the Peace Corps
2. "Hump it" means what?
(a) Shoot at the enemy
(b) Dig a foxhole
(c) To carry something
(d) Stay in formation
3. Who are the men order to see?
(a) The company commander
(b) The dentist
(c) The doctor
(d) The psychologist
4. When Kiowa says "No choice, Tim. What else could you do?" what can we assume he is talking about?
(a) Tim forgot to warn the platoon about a land mine he saw
(b) Tim's girlfriend wrote a letter to say she was seeing someone else
(c) Tim running away
(d) A man Tim killed
5. Who is the narrator talking about in Chapter 8, The Dentist?
(a) Dave Jensen
(b) Curt Lemon
(d) Henry Dobbins
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the chapter 'Love' fill for the novel?
2. Where do the men camp in the chapter titled "Church?"
3. In what year was the college reunion where Jimmy Cross reunited with Martha?
4. What word does Ted Lavender use to describe the war?
5. How did Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk agree on the pact?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Martha never married?
2. How were Lieutenant Cross's tears misinterpreted after the death of Ted Lavender?
3. Why was Curt Lemon afraid of the dentist?
4. What does Dave Jensen do to make himself square with Lee Strunk?
5. How does the narrator feel about the war in Vietnam?
6. Why do Jimmy Cross and Tim O'Brien stop drinking coffee, and what do they switch to?
7. Why does Rat Kiley write a letter to Curt Lemon's sister, and what does the letter contain?
8. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
9. Why does the narrator he is a bad fit to be drafted into the war?
10. Who was Elroy Berdahl and what is his significance to the narrator?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)