|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the letter what does Henry Dobbins decide to do?
(a) Injure himself so he can get home to see his sister
(b) Sits down and cries over the loss of his mother
(c) Wear the pantyhose anyway; the magic is still there
(d) Sends his payment certificates to his girlfriend
2. Why is Kiowa against camping at the pagoda?
(a) Because the enemy took all the valuable supplies
(b) Because the monks won't let an Indian sleep inside their walls
(c) Because it isn't strategic
(d) Because it is disrespectful to religion
3. Mitchell Sanders sent what in his letter to the Ohio Draft Board?
(a) Body lice
(b) A dead boy's thumb
(c) Letters home
4. What purpose does the chapter 'Love' fill for the novel?
(a) It serves as an insight to how Lavender's family handled his death.
(b) It offers a prologue for all of the men in the company.
(c) It explains why the author decided to write the novel.
(d) It explains the historical context of the Vietnam War.
5. What does Dave Jensen do when he snaps?
(a) He shoots his gun into the air
(b) He curls into a ball and cries
(c) He loses his ability to talk
(d) He screams and climb a tree
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was excused from tunnel duty due to size?
2. What does he call the object around his neck?
3. Who is the narrator talking about in Chapter 8, The Dentist?
4. What does Mitchell Sanders call 'Nam'?
5. How much money is the "Emergency Fund" envelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
2. Explain your thoughts on this quote: "I was a coward. I went to war."
3. Explain why you think Dave Jensen is so upset someone stole from him.
4. Why does Rat Kiley write a letter to Curt Lemon's sister, and what does the letter contain?
5. Who was Elroy Berdahl and what is his significance to the narrator?
6. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
7. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
8. Why does the narrator he is a bad fit to be drafted into the war?
9. What are Henry Dobbins' tentative plans for after the war?
10. What does Dave Jensen do to make himself square with Lee Strunk?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)