|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Curt Lemon walked into the tent?
(a) He fainted
(b) The dentist said his teeth were perfect
(c) He tripped over the drill cord, and tore the tent down
(d) The dentist pulled a tooth
2. What does Elroy do to tempt Tim to run away?
(a) He promises to lead Tim into Canada
(b) He gives Tim a contact to call in Canada
(c) He speaks out against the war
(d) He takes Tim fishing right by the border
3. What purpose does the chapter 'Love' fill for the novel?
(a) It offers a prologue for all of the men in the company.
(b) It serves as an insight to how Lavender's family handled his death.
(c) It explains the historical context of the Vietnam War.
(d) It explains why the author decided to write the novel.
4. Where is the listening patrol positioned?
(a) In the jungle
(b) In a valley
(c) On a mountainside
(d) In a village
5. How does Lee Strunk think the doctors will treat the wound?
(a) They will sew it back on.
(b) They will give him a prosthetic
(c) They will cut his other leg to match
(d) They will amputate the rest of the leg
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tim credit with saving his life?
2. Who does Azar give a chocolate bar to?
3. What color are Martha's eyes?
4. What happens to Lee Strunk?
5. How does Kiowa describe Ted Lavender's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of a stark contrast between how the men normally behave, and how the war changes their behavior.
2. What was Martha's response to Jimmy's confession about wanting to hold her knee?
3. Why do you think Martha never married?
4. Explain your thoughts on this quote: "I was a coward. I went to war."
5. Why do Jimmy Cross and Tim O'Brien stop drinking coffee, and what do they switch to?
6. How does the narrator feel about the war in Vietnam?
7. What puts the death pact to the test? Be specific.
8. Why do the men like checkers?
9. Why was Curt Lemon afraid of the dentist?
10. What happens to make the platoon believe in the good luck provided by the pantyhose?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)