|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men call plane rides home to America?
(a) Freedom birds
(b) Home runs
(c) Liberty lifts
(d) Chopper catch
2. Who was excused from tunnel duty due to size?
(a) Rat Kiley
(b) Ted Lavender
(c) Lee Strunk
(d) Henry Dobbins
3. How does Jimmy ask Tim to portray him in the book he is writing?
(a) Brave and handsome
(b) Smart and crafty
(c) Mean and strict
(d) Heroic and courageous
4. What does Elroy do to tempt Tim to run away?
(a) He gives Tim a contact to call in Canada
(b) He takes Tim fishing right by the border
(c) He speaks out against the war
(d) He promises to lead Tim into Canada
5. What happened when Curt Lemon walked into the tent?
(a) He tripped over the drill cord, and tore the tent down
(b) The dentist said his teeth were perfect
(c) The dentist pulled a tooth
(d) He fainted
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Anne like to do when she disappears from the medical unit?
2. Who is the sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong?
3. How many monks are there to help the men with camp?
4. How did Jimmy Cross get another photograph of Martha?
5. What does Dave Jensen ask Lee Strunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Martha's response to Jimmy's confession about wanting to hold her knee?
2. What is Henry's reaction to his girlfriend dumping him?
3. Give a description of boredom as used in the novel.
4. Why do you think Martha never married?
5. Why was Curt Lemon afraid of the dentist?
6. What does Dave Jensen do to make himself square with Lee Strunk?
7. How does the narrator feel about the war in Vietnam?
8. What would you guess happened during the war that Jimmy asked Tim to leave out of his book?
9. How would you describe Martha's "separate-but-together quality" her and Lieutenant Cross share? What does she send to represent this quality?
10. How did things start when Mary Anne first arrived, and how did they change?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)