|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mitchell Sanders sent what in his letter to the Ohio Draft Board?
(a) A dead boy's thumb
(b) Letters home
(c) Body lice
2. What does Rat Kiley do first to the baby water buffalo?
(a) Offers it pork and beans
(b) Takes it for a walk
(c) Shoots it in the head
(d) Shoots it in the knee
3. Who are the men order to see?
(a) The doctor
(b) The psychologist
(c) The company commander
(d) The dentist
4. What company are the men in?
(a) Bravo Company
(b) Delta Company
(c) Charlie Company
(d) Alpha Company
5. What word does Ted Lavender use to describe the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lee Strunk when Dave Jensen shows his broken nose?
2. What purpose does the chapter 'Love' fill for the novel?
3. How did Jimmy Cross get another photograph of Martha?
4. Who is unlucky to draw tunnel duty during the mission outside Than Khe?
5. According to the narrator, what is a characteristic of a "true war story?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What would you guess happened during the war that Jimmy asked Tim to leave out of his book?
2. How do Henry Dobbins and Azar disagree about the girl's motive to dance?
3. What was the story for Mitchell Sander's moral of "Nobody listens?"
4. Give an example of a stark contrast between how the men normally behave, and how the war changes their behavior.
5. What does Tim invent about the man he killed?
6. What caused Henry Dobbins to rule out a career as a minister?
7. What are Henry Dobbins' tentative plans for after the war?
8. Who did you think was the victim as you read the chapter, and who did you think was the victim once you finished it? Why?
9. What is so unbelievable about Rat Kiley's story?
10. Why do Jimmy Cross and Tim O'Brien stop drinking coffee, and what do they switch to?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)