|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the story is Tim's own?
(a) The part of pulling Kiowa by his boot
(b) The part of playing basketball at the YMCA
(c) The Silver Star part
(d) The friend drowning part
2. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
(a) A picture of his girlfriend
(b) A passage in the Bible
(c) A postcard from home
(d) A medal for bravery
3. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
(a) By killing all the bugs
(b) By counting as high as he can
(c) By talking non stop
(d) By remaining silent
4. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
(a) Give his rations to the villagers
(b) Find himself a Vietnam girlfriend
(c) Talk to a dead body as if it were alive
(d) Joke with the guys about killing people
5. How do the men in the platoon treat Tim when they run into him at the supply command?
(a) They ignore him because they all thought he died
(b) They treat him politely and ask him for favors
(c) They greet him and treat him as if nothing happened
(d) They treat him distantly, because he isn't one of them anymore
6. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
(a) Morty Phillips
(b) Bobby Jorgenson
(c) Mitchell Sanders
(d) Rat Kiley
7. What does the author say about truth?
(a) Truth is absolute
(b) Everyone has their own truth
(c) Story-truth is more real than happening-truth
(d) Truth is unattainable
8. What did Kiowa's father do?
(a) Work as a mechanic
(b) Teach elementary school
(c) Teach Sunday school
(d) Work as a gardener
9. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
10. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(a) Bobby Jorgenson
(b) Morty Phillips
11. What did the man on trail wear on his feet?
(a) Rubber sandals
12. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
(a) A group of other soldiers
(b) The command post
(c) A group of Vietnamese children
(d) A group of Vietnamese women
13. Which soldier is killed in the swampy field, and subsequently stuck in the muck?
(a) Henry Dobbins
(b) Rat Kiley
(c) Ted Lavender
14. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The place where his foxhole was
(b) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
(c) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
(d) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
15. What was unique about the mission the men were given when Rat Kiley was injured?
(a) They had to keep talking nonstop as part of a ruse
(b) They had to work alone
(c) They had to crawl the entire way
(d) They had to walk at night and sleep during the day
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
2. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
3. What did Tim use to kill the man on the trail?
4. Who does Rat Kiley accuse of whispering his name?
5. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)