|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
(a) He sang songs as he dressed the wound
(b) He made jokes about Tim dressing in drag
(c) He quoted from his medical manual in a pompous voice
(d) He pretended Tim had been pregnant
2. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
(a) Crispy critter
(b) Cracker jack
(c) Crunchie munchie
(d) Roasted peanut
3. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(b) Foot soldier
(d) Radio man
4. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(b) Rat Kiley
(d) Curt Lemon
5. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why did he write war stories?
(b) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(c) Why was there a war?
(d) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
6. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
(b) Kiowa's moccasins
(c) A picture of his old girlfriend
(d) Lt. Cross's pebble
7. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
(a) By killing all the bugs
(b) By counting as high as he can
(c) By remaining silent
(d) By talking non stop
8. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
(a) Talking to the dead
9. What almost killed Tim?
(a) A knife wound from town
(b) A partial land mine detonation
(c) An improperly dressed wound
(d) A shot to the shoulder
10. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
(a) Find himself a Vietnam girlfriend
(b) Joke with the guys about killing people
(c) Give his rations to the villagers
(d) Talk to a dead body as if it were alive
11. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
(b) Rat Kiley
(c) Lt. Cross
12. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
(a) He relaxes with his Dad and watches baseball
(b) He drives around the lake
(c) He gets drunk
(d) He works a double shift
13. The man Tim killed had a hole the shape of what where an eye was supposed to be?
(a) A star
(b) A crescent moon
(c) A heart
(d) A circle
14. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
(a) Morty Phillips
(c) Henry Dobbins
(d) Mitchell Sanders
15. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(a) Mary Anne
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
2. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
3. Which soldier is killed in the swampy field, and subsequently stuck in the muck?
4. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
5. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)