|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tim use to kill the man on the trail?
(a) A trip wire land mine
(b) A machine gun
(c) A pistol
(d) A grenade
2. What medal did Norman Bowker almost win?
(a) Gold Star
(b) Medal of Honor
(c) Silver Star
(d) Purple Heart
3. Who defends Lt. Cross from being at fault when the other guys want to blame him?
(a) Norman Bowker
(b) Henry Dobbins
(d) Mitchell Sanders
4. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) From a newspaper article
(b) From his chat with Lt. Cross
(c) From a letter written by Norman Bowker
(d) From a visit back to Vietnam
5. What did Kiowa's father do?
(a) Teach elementary school
(b) Work as a gardener
(c) Teach Sunday school
(d) Work as a mechanic
6. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Curt Lemon
7. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
(a) To a skating rink
(b) To a movie
(c) To the park
(d) To a baseball game
8. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(b) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
(c) Why was there a war?
(d) Why did he write war stories?
9. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
10. Where is the first draft of the story inspired by Norman Bowker published?
(a) On the Internet
(b) In Reader's Digest
(c) In a national magazine
(d) In an anthology of short stories
11. What question does Tim's daughter ask him?
(a) Did you ever get shot?
(b) Did you have a girlfriend in Vietnam?
(c) Did you ever kill anyone?
(d) Did you lose your best friend in war?
12. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(b) Mary Anne
13. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
(a) He quoted from his medical manual in a pompous voice
(b) He sang songs as he dressed the wound
(c) He pretended Tim had been pregnant
(d) He made jokes about Tim dressing in drag
14. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
(a) He shook hands and shared war stories
(b) He gave him a hug
(c) He smiled as he drove past
(d) He raised a shovel in defiance
15. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His belt
(b) His arm
(c) His hand
(d) His boot
Short Answer Questions
1. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
2. Why does Henry Dobbins think the girl is dancing?
3. What part of the story is Tim's own?
4. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
5. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)