|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
(b) Henry Dobbins
(c) Mitchell Sanders
(d) Rat Kiley
2. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
3. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
(c) Safety line
(d) Vitamins for better eye sight
4. Who defends Lt. Cross from being at fault when the other guys want to blame him?
(b) Norman Bowker
(c) Henry Dobbins
(d) Mitchell Sanders
5. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) It is mostly all burned
(b) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
(c) All the villagers are sick
(d) It is deserted
6. What animal does Tim notice as he tries to process the death of the man he killed?
(a) A butterfly
(b) A worm
(c) A bird
(d) A snake
7. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Working at various jobs
(b) Dating a number of women
(c) Basketball at the YMCA
(d) Classes at a community college
8. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
(a) Henry Dobbins
(c) Morty Phillips
(d) Mitchell Sanders
9. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
(a) He runs away and deserts the platoon
(b) He shoots himself in the foot
(c) He punches Lt. Cross in the face
(d) He starts acting crazy and imitating animals
10. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) Linda's memory
(b) All of his war buddies' lives
(c) Kathleen's education
(d) His own life
11. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
(a) Give his rations to the villagers
(b) Talk to a dead body as if it were alive
(c) Find himself a Vietnam girlfriend
(d) Joke with the guys about killing people
12. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why did he write war stories?
(b) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(c) Why was there a war?
(d) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
13. The man Tim killed had a hole the shape of what where an eye was supposed to be?
(a) A star
(b) A crescent moon
(c) A heart
(d) A circle
14. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
(a) By remaining silent
(b) By killing all the bugs
(c) By talking non stop
(d) By counting as high as he can
15. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Kiowa's moccasins
(b) Lt. Cross's pebble
(c) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
(d) A picture of his old girlfriend
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
2. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
3. What Army position did the narrator hold?
4. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
5. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)