|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the man on trail wear on his feet?
(d) Rubber sandals
2. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
(a) The man carried a supply of land mines
(b) The man carried a gun and ammunition
(c) The man carried dog tags of dead American soldiers
(d) The man carried letters of troop movements
3. What almost killed Tim?
(a) An improperly dressed wound
(b) A partial land mine detonation
(c) A shot to the shoulder
(d) A knife wound from town
4. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) A young child eating
(b) A woman carrying a basket
(c) A young man hauling rice
(d) An old man farming
5. Why does Henry Dobbins think the girl is dancing?
(a) Because she is nervous
(b) Because it is a ritual
(c) Because she wants to
(d) Because she wants the soldiers to like her
6. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(b) Henry Dobbins
7. What source of light gave away the platoon's position?
(a) A cigarette
(b) A camp fire
(c) A flashlight
(d) A camera flash
8. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
(b) A picture of his old girlfriend
(c) Kiowa's moccasins
(d) Lt. Cross's pebble
9. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 30 years
(b) 20 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 2 years
10. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(a) Foot soldier
(d) Radio man
11. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
(b) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
(c) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
(d) The place where his foxhole was
12. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
(b) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(c) Why was there a war?
(d) Why did he write war stories?
13. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Calling him a coward
(b) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(c) Give him comic books to read
(d) Offer to write it up as an accident
14. What part of the story is Tim's own?
(a) The part of pulling Kiowa by his boot
(b) The part of playing basketball at the YMCA
(c) The Silver Star part
(d) The friend drowning part
15. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
(a) To a skating rink
(b) To the park
(c) To a movie
(d) To a baseball game
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
2. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
3. What did Tim use to kill the man on the trail?
4. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
5. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)