|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) Linda's memory
(b) His own life
(c) All of his war buddies' lives
(d) Kathleen's education
2. Which feeling does the narrator not admit to about the war?
3. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(a) Curt Lemon
(c) Rat Kiley
4. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
(a) A young boy
(b) An old man
(c) A young girl
(d) An old woman
5. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) The piece is too long
(b) The piece is too short
(c) It was a gross embellishment of the truth
(d) A lack of details
6. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(b) Morty Phillips
(c) Bobby Jorgenson
7. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
(a) Talk to a dead body as if it were alive
(b) Joke with the guys about killing people
(c) Give his rations to the villagers
(d) Find himself a Vietnam girlfriend
8. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
(a) Vitamins for better eye sight
(d) Safety line
9. What does the author say about truth?
(a) Truth is absolute
(b) Truth is unattainable
(c) Everyone has their own truth
(d) Story-truth is more real than happening-truth
10. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(a) Mary Anne
11. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
(a) His father
(b) His son
(c) His daughter
(d) His wife
12. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
(a) He punches Lt. Cross in the face
(b) He runs away and deserts the platoon
(c) He starts acting crazy and imitating animals
(d) He shoots himself in the foot
13. What did Kiowa's father do?
(a) Work as a mechanic
(b) Teach Sunday school
(c) Teach elementary school
(d) Work as a gardener
14. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(a) Henry Dobbins
15. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
(b) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
(c) The place where his foxhole was
(d) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
2. What part of the story is Tim's own?
3. Who is curious about if the narrator killed anybody?
4. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
5. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)