|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
(a) A group of Vietnamese women
(b) A group of Vietnamese children
(c) A group of other soldiers
(d) The command post
2. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Kiowa's moccasins
(b) Lt. Cross's pebble
(c) A picture of his old girlfriend
(d) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
3. What part of the story is Tim's own?
(a) The friend drowning part
(b) The part of pulling Kiowa by his boot
(c) The Silver Star part
(d) The part of playing basketball at the YMCA
4. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
(a) He runs away and deserts the platoon
(b) He starts acting crazy and imitating animals
(c) He punches Lt. Cross in the face
(d) He shoots himself in the foot
5. What almost killed Tim?
(a) A knife wound from town
(b) An improperly dressed wound
(c) A shot to the shoulder
(d) A partial land mine detonation
6. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
(a) He relaxes with his Dad and watches baseball
(b) He works a double shift
(c) He gets drunk
(d) He drives around the lake
7. Who defends Lt. Cross from being at fault when the other guys want to blame him?
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Henry Dobbins
(d) Norman Bowker
8. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
(a) A postcard from home
(b) A medal for bravery
(c) A picture of his girlfriend
(d) A passage in the Bible
9. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Basketball at the YMCA
(b) Working at various jobs
(c) Classes at a community college
(d) Dating a number of women
10. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His hand
(b) His belt
(c) His arm
(d) His boot
11. What did Kiowa's father do?
(a) Work as a mechanic
(b) Teach Sunday school
(c) Teach elementary school
(d) Work as a gardener
12. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
(a) It's infested with large bugs
(b) It's where the village keeps their sewage
(c) It's a graveyard
(d) It's crawling with venomous snakes
13. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) It was a gross embellishment of the truth
(b) The piece is too short
(c) The piece is too long
(d) A lack of details
14. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
(a) The man he killed on the trail
(d) His grandfather
15. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) From his chat with Lt. Cross
(b) From a newspaper article
(c) From a letter written by Norman Bowker
(d) From a visit back to Vietnam
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
2. What Army position did the narrator hold?
3. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
4. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
5. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)