|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
(a) He shook hands and shared war stories
(b) He gave him a hug
(c) He raised a shovel in defiance
(d) He smiled as he drove past
2. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
(a) The man carried a gun and ammunition
(b) The man carried dog tags of dead American soldiers
(c) The man carried a supply of land mines
(d) The man carried letters of troop movements
3. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
(a) Cracker jack
(b) Crunchie munchie
(c) Roasted peanut
(d) Crispy critter
4. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) From a newspaper article
(b) From a letter written by Norman Bowker
(c) From a visit back to Vietnam
(d) From his chat with Lt. Cross
5. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
6. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
(a) He made jokes about Tim dressing in drag
(b) He quoted from his medical manual in a pompous voice
(c) He sang songs as he dressed the wound
(d) He pretended Tim had been pregnant
7. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
(a) A group of Vietnamese women
(b) A group of other soldiers
(c) A group of Vietnamese children
(d) The command post
8. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 20 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 30 years
(d) 2 years
9. Why does Henry Dobbins think the girl is dancing?
(a) Because she wants to
(b) Because it is a ritual
(c) Because she is nervous
(d) Because she wants the soldiers to like her
10. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(a) Rat Kiley
(d) Curt Lemon
11. What part of the story is Tim's own?
(a) The Silver Star part
(b) The friend drowning part
(c) The part of pulling Kiowa by his boot
(d) The part of playing basketball at the YMCA
12. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
(a) Morty Phillips
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Bobby Jorgenson
13. Who is curious about if the narrator killed anybody?
(a) His son
(b) His wife
(c) His daughter
(d) His friend
14. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
(b) The man he killed on the trail
(d) His grandfather
15. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Calling him a coward
(b) Offer to write it up as an accident
(c) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(d) Give him comic books to read
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
2. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
3. What question does Tim's daughter ask him?
4. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
5. What did Kiowa's father do?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)