|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(a) Morty Phillips
(d) Bobby Jorgenson
2. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
(b) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
(c) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
(d) The place where his foxhole was
3. How does the narrator find relief from his feelings about the war?
(a) He cries
(b) He writes stories
(c) He works out
(d) He visits VA hospitals
4. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) From a visit back to Vietnam
(b) From his chat with Lt. Cross
(c) From a letter written by Norman Bowker
(d) From a newspaper article
5. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(a) Radio man
(b) Foot soldier
6. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
7. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) It was a gross embellishment of the truth
(b) The piece is too short
(c) The piece is too long
(d) A lack of details
8. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
(a) A young girl
(b) An old woman
(c) A young boy
(d) An old man
9. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Classes at a community college
(b) Dating a number of women
(c) Working at various jobs
(d) Basketball at the YMCA
10. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(b) Calling him a coward
(c) Offer to write it up as an accident
(d) Give him comic books to read
11. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
(a) A passage in the Bible
(b) A postcard from home
(c) A medal for bravery
(d) A picture of his girlfriend
12. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
(a) By counting as high as he can
(b) By talking non stop
(c) By killing all the bugs
(d) By remaining silent
13. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
(a) Morty Phillips
(b) Henry Dobbins
(c) Mitchell Sanders
14. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
(a) The command post
(b) A group of Vietnamese women
(c) A group of Vietnamese children
(d) A group of other soldiers
15. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
(a) The man would have planted land mines
(b) The man would have surrendered
(c) The man would have just continued down the trail, unharmed
(d) Someone else in the platoon would have killed him
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
2. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
3. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
4. Where is the first draft of the story inspired by Norman Bowker published?
5. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)