|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
(a) His wife
(b) His son
(c) His father
(d) His daughter
2. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) The piece is too short
(b) The piece is too long
(c) It was a gross embellishment of the truth
(d) A lack of details
3. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
(a) The man would have just continued down the trail, unharmed
(b) The man would have surrendered
(c) Someone else in the platoon would have killed him
(d) The man would have planted land mines
4. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
(a) An old man
(b) A young boy
(c) An old woman
(d) A young girl
5. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) It is deserted
(b) It is mostly all burned
(c) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
(d) All the villagers are sick
6. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) His own life
(b) Kathleen's education
(c) Linda's memory
(d) All of his war buddies' lives
7. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 20 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 30 years
(d) 10 years
8. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His arm
(b) His hand
(c) His boot
(d) His belt
9. What question does Tim's daughter ask him?
(a) Did you lose your best friend in war?
(b) Did you ever kill anyone?
(c) Did you have a girlfriend in Vietnam?
(d) Did you ever get shot?
10. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
11. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(a) Mary Anne
12. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
(b) Rat Kiley
(c) Lt. Cross
13. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(b) Morty Phillips
(c) Bobby Jorgenson
14. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why was there a war?
(b) Why did he write war stories?
(c) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(d) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
15. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
(a) He shook hands and shared war stories
(b) He gave him a hug
(c) He smiled as he drove past
(d) He raised a shovel in defiance
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
2. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
3. Which soldier is killed in the swampy field, and subsequently stuck in the muck?
4. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
5. What event causes Tim to revise "Speaking of Courage," following Norman Bowker's advice?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)