|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
(a) He smiled as he drove past
(b) He shook hands and shared war stories
(c) He gave him a hug
(d) He raised a shovel in defiance
2. What did Tim use to kill the man on the trail?
(a) A machine gun
(b) A grenade
(c) A pistol
(d) A trip wire land mine
3. What event causes Tim to revise "Speaking of Courage," following Norman Bowker's advice?
(a) Norman Boker's suicide
(b) A letter from Kiowa's father
(c) The death of Lt. Cross
(d) Feedback from his daughter
4. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(b) Foot soldier
(d) Radio man
5. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
(a) A passage in the Bible
(b) A medal for bravery
(c) A picture of his girlfriend
(d) A postcard from home
6. What almost killed Tim?
(a) A knife wound from town
(b) A partial land mine detonation
(c) A shot to the shoulder
(d) An improperly dressed wound
7. What source of light gave away the platoon's position?
(a) A camp fire
(b) A flashlight
(c) A cigarette
(d) A camera flash
8. How many soldiers are said to be in the platoon?
9. What animal does Tim notice as he tries to process the death of the man he killed?
(a) A butterfly
(b) A worm
(c) A bird
(d) A snake
10. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(b) Bobby Jorgenson
(d) Morty Phillips
11. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
(a) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Henry Dobbins
(d) Rat Kiley
12. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(b) Mary Anne
13. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
(a) It's a graveyard
(b) It's where the village keeps their sewage
(c) It's crawling with venomous snakes
(d) It's infested with large bugs
14. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
15. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
(a) The man carried a supply of land mines
(b) The man carried a gun and ammunition
(c) The man carried dog tags of dead American soldiers
(d) The man carried letters of troop movements
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
2. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
3. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
4. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
5. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)