|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men in the platoon treat Tim when they run into him at the supply command?
(a) They ignore him because they all thought he died
(b) They treat him distantly, because he isn't one of them anymore
(c) They greet him and treat him as if nothing happened
(d) They treat him politely and ask him for favors
2. What did the man on trail wear on his feet?
(b) Rubber sandals
3. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
(a) The command post
(b) A group of other soldiers
(c) A group of Vietnamese women
(d) A group of Vietnamese children
4. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
(a) It's infested with large bugs
(b) It's a graveyard
(c) It's crawling with venomous snakes
(d) It's where the village keeps their sewage
5. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(b) Offer to write it up as an accident
(c) Give him comic books to read
(d) Calling him a coward
6. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
(a) An old woman
(b) An old man
(c) A young boy
(d) A young girl
7. Why does Henry Dobbins think the girl is dancing?
(a) Because it is a ritual
(b) Because she is nervous
(c) Because she wants to
(d) Because she wants the soldiers to like her
8. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
(a) Crispy critter
(b) Cracker jack
(c) Crunchie munchie
(d) Roasted peanut
9. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
(a) To a skating rink
(b) To a baseball game
(c) To a movie
(d) To the park
10. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(b) Radio man
(d) Foot soldier
11. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
(a) Find himself a Vietnam girlfriend
(b) Joke with the guys about killing people
(c) Talk to a dead body as if it were alive
(d) Give his rations to the villagers
12. What part of the story is Tim's own?
(a) The friend drowning part
(b) The Silver Star part
(c) The part of playing basketball at the YMCA
(d) The part of pulling Kiowa by his boot
13. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 10 years
(b) 30 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 2 years
14. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) Linda's memory
(b) All of his war buddies' lives
(c) Kathleen's education
(d) His own life
15. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
(a) The man would have just continued down the trail, unharmed
(b) Someone else in the platoon would have killed him
(c) The man would have planted land mines
(d) The man would have surrendered
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tim's imagination, what village is the man he killed from?
2. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
3. What event causes Tim to revise "Speaking of Courage," following Norman Bowker's advice?
4. How many soldiers are said to be in the platoon?
5. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)