|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 2 years
(b) 20 years
(c) 30 years
(d) 10 years
2. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) It is deserted
(b) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
(c) All the villagers are sick
(d) It is mostly all burned
3. How does the narrator find relief from his feelings about the war?
(a) He cries
(b) He works out
(c) He writes stories
(d) He visits VA hospitals
4. What event causes Tim to revise "Speaking of Courage," following Norman Bowker's advice?
(a) Norman Boker's suicide
(b) The death of Lt. Cross
(c) Feedback from his daughter
(d) A letter from Kiowa's father
5. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(a) Radio man
(c) Foot soldier
6. What part of the story is Tim's own?
(a) The friend drowning part
(b) The Silver Star part
(c) The part of pulling Kiowa by his boot
(d) The part of playing basketball at the YMCA
7. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(a) Henry Dobbins
8. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Kiowa's moccasins
(b) A picture of his old girlfriend
(c) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
(d) Lt. Cross's pebble
9. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
(a) Vitamins for better eye sight
(d) Safety line
10. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
(a) By remaining silent
(b) By killing all the bugs
(c) By talking non stop
(d) By counting as high as he can
11. What almost killed Tim?
(a) An improperly dressed wound
(b) A shot to the shoulder
(c) A knife wound from town
(d) A partial land mine detonation
12. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
13. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(a) Bobby Jorgenson
(c) Morty Phillips
14. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
(a) He shoots himself in the foot
(b) He starts acting crazy and imitating animals
(c) He runs away and deserts the platoon
(d) He punches Lt. Cross in the face
15. What source of light gave away the platoon's position?
(a) A camp fire
(b) A flashlight
(c) A cigarette
(d) A camera flash
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry Dobbins think the girl is dancing?
2. What does the author say about truth?
3. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
4. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
5. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)