|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
(a) The man carried a gun and ammunition
(b) The man carried a supply of land mines
(c) The man carried letters of troop movements
(d) The man carried dog tags of dead American soldiers
2. How do the men in the platoon treat Tim when they run into him at the supply command?
(a) They treat him politely and ask him for favors
(b) They treat him distantly, because he isn't one of them anymore
(c) They greet him and treat him as if nothing happened
(d) They ignore him because they all thought he died
3. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
(a) He relaxes with his Dad and watches baseball
(b) He drives around the lake
(c) He gets drunk
(d) He works a double shift
4. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
(b) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(c) Why did he write war stories?
(d) Why was there a war?
5. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(a) Radio man
(d) Foot soldier
6. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(a) Morty Phillips
(c) Bobby Jorgenson
7. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
(c) Vitamins for better eye sight
(d) Safety line
8. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) A young man hauling rice
(b) An old man farming
(c) A woman carrying a basket
(d) A young child eating
9. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Basketball at the YMCA
(b) Classes at a community college
(c) Dating a number of women
(d) Working at various jobs
10. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His hand
(b) His belt
(c) His boot
(d) His arm
11. Who does Rat Kiley accuse of whispering his name?
(a) The villagers
(b) The bugs
(c) The other men in the platoon
(d) The trees
12. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) His own life
(b) Kathleen's education
(c) All of his war buddies' lives
(d) Linda's memory
13. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
(a) The man he killed on the trail
(d) His grandfather
14. Where is the first draft of the story inspired by Norman Bowker published?
(a) On the Internet
(b) In a national magazine
(c) In an anthology of short stories
(d) In Reader's Digest
15. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
(a) Morty Phillips
(b) Bobby Jorgenson
(c) Mitchell Sanders
(d) Rat Kiley
Short Answer Questions
1. What medal did Norman Bowker almost win?
2. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
3. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
4. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
5. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)