|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers are said to be in the platoon?
2. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(d) Henry Dobbins
3. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why was there a war?
(b) Why did he write war stories?
(c) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(d) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
4. Who does Rat Kiley accuse of whispering his name?
(a) The trees
(b) The villagers
(c) The bugs
(d) The other men in the platoon
5. What did the man on trail wear on his feet?
(c) Rubber sandals
6. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Kiowa's moccasins
(b) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
(c) Lt. Cross's pebble
(d) A picture of his old girlfriend
7. Who defends Lt. Cross from being at fault when the other guys want to blame him?
(a) Henry Dobbins
(b) Norman Bowker
(c) Mitchell Sanders
8. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(a) Rat Kiley
(b) Curt Lemon
9. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
(a) Crispy critter
(b) Roasted peanut
(c) Crunchie munchie
(d) Cracker jack
10. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
(b) The man he killed on the trail
(d) His grandfather
11. What does the author say about truth?
(a) Everyone has their own truth
(b) Truth is unattainable
(c) Story-truth is more real than happening-truth
(d) Truth is absolute
12. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
(b) Morty Phillips
(d) Bobby Jorgenson
13. How does the narrator find relief from his feelings about the war?
(a) He visits VA hospitals
(b) He writes stories
(c) He works out
(d) He cries
14. Where is the first draft of the story inspired by Norman Bowker published?
(a) On the Internet
(b) In an anthology of short stories
(c) In Reader's Digest
(d) In a national magazine
15. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
(a) The man carried dog tags of dead American soldiers
(b) The man carried a gun and ammunition
(c) The man carried a supply of land mines
(d) The man carried letters of troop movements
Short Answer Questions
1. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
2. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
3. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
4. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
5. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)