|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
(a) He runs away and deserts the platoon
(b) He starts acting crazy and imitating animals
(c) He punches Lt. Cross in the face
(d) He shoots himself in the foot
2. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
(a) He raised a shovel in defiance
(b) He shook hands and shared war stories
(c) He gave him a hug
(d) He smiled as he drove past
3. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
(b) All the villagers are sick
(c) It is mostly all burned
(d) It is deserted
4. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
(a) It's where the village keeps their sewage
(b) It's a graveyard
(c) It's crawling with venomous snakes
(d) It's infested with large bugs
5. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(b) Henry Dobbins
6. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) A young man hauling rice
(b) An old man farming
(c) A woman carrying a basket
(d) A young child eating
7. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) From his chat with Lt. Cross
(b) From a newspaper article
(c) From a visit back to Vietnam
(d) From a letter written by Norman Bowker
8. What medal did Norman Bowker almost win?
(a) Medal of Honor
(b) Silver Star
(c) Gold Star
(d) Purple Heart
9. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
(a) The command post
(b) A group of Vietnamese children
(c) A group of Vietnamese women
(d) A group of other soldiers
10. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Lt. Cross
11. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
(a) Rat Kiley
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Bobby Jorgenson
(d) Morty Phillips
12. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His boot
(b) His belt
(c) His arm
(d) His hand
13. What does the author say about truth?
(a) Truth is absolute
(b) Story-truth is more real than happening-truth
(c) Truth is unattainable
(d) Everyone has their own truth
14. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) His own life
(b) Kathleen's education
(c) Linda's memory
(d) All of his war buddies' lives
15. What did Tim use to kill the man on the trail?
(a) A machine gun
(b) A grenade
(c) A pistol
(d) A trip wire land mine
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
2. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
3. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
4. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
5. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)