|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) All the villagers are sick
(b) It is deserted
(c) It is mostly all burned
(d) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
2. In Tim's imagination, what village is the man he killed from?
(a) Tra Bong
(c) Than Khe
(d) My Khe
3. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) From his chat with Lt. Cross
(b) From a newspaper article
(c) From a visit back to Vietnam
(d) From a letter written by Norman Bowker
4. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
(a) Rat Kiley
(c) Lt. Cross
5. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Lt. Cross's pebble
(b) Kiowa's moccasins
(c) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
(d) A picture of his old girlfriend
6. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
(b) The man he killed on the trail
(d) His grandfather
7. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 2 years
(b) 30 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 10 years
8. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
(a) The man carried a gun and ammunition
(b) The man carried dog tags of dead American soldiers
(c) The man carried letters of troop movements
(d) The man carried a supply of land mines
9. What event causes Tim to revise "Speaking of Courage," following Norman Bowker's advice?
(a) The death of Lt. Cross
(b) Feedback from his daughter
(c) Norman Boker's suicide
(d) A letter from Kiowa's father
10. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
11. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) An old man farming
(b) A young child eating
(c) A young man hauling rice
(d) A woman carrying a basket
12. What question of Kathleen's does Tim have a hard time finding an answer to?
(a) Why did he write war stories?
(b) Why were they visiting Vietnam?
(c) Why was there a war?
(d) Why did he kill the man in the trail?
13. Who defends Lt. Cross from being at fault when the other guys want to blame him?
(b) Henry Dobbins
(c) Mitchell Sanders
(d) Norman Bowker
14. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
(a) He quoted from his medical manual in a pompous voice
(b) He sang songs as he dressed the wound
(c) He made jokes about Tim dressing in drag
(d) He pretended Tim had been pregnant
15. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(b) Rat Kiley
(d) Curt Lemon
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry Dobbins think the girl is dancing?
2. The man Tim killed had a hole the shape of what where an eye was supposed to be?
3. What animal does Tim notice as he tries to process the death of the man he killed?
4. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
5. What source of light gave away the platoon's position?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)