|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
(b) It is mostly all burned
(c) All the villagers are sick
(d) It is deserted
2. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
3. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
(a) A young girl
(b) A young boy
(c) An old woman
(d) An old man
4. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
(c) Talking to the dead
5. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
(a) Lt. Cross
(c) Rat Kiley
6. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
(a) Morty Phillips
(b) Bobby Jorgenson
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Mitchell Sanders
7. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(b) Give him comic books to read
(c) Calling him a coward
(d) Offer to write it up as an accident
8. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(a) Rat Kiley
(c) Curt Lemon
9. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His hand
(b) His boot
(c) His arm
(d) His belt
10. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
(a) A postcard from home
(b) A picture of his girlfriend
(c) A medal for bravery
(d) A passage in the Bible
11. How could Kiowa be sure the man would have done harm to the platoon if Tim had not killed him?
(a) The man carried letters of troop movements
(b) The man carried dog tags of dead American soldiers
(c) The man carried a supply of land mines
(d) The man carried a gun and ammunition
12. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
(a) Crunchie munchie
(b) Roasted peanut
(c) Crispy critter
(d) Cracker jack
13. What almost killed Tim?
(a) An improperly dressed wound
(b) A knife wound from town
(c) A partial land mine detonation
(d) A shot to the shoulder
14. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
(a) Rat Kiley
(b) Henry Dobbins
(c) Mitchell Sanders
15. What animal does Tim notice as he tries to process the death of the man he killed?
(a) A butterfly
(b) A bird
(c) A worm
(d) A snake
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes Tim to revise "Speaking of Courage," following Norman Bowker's advice?
2. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
3. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
4. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
5. Where is the first draft of the story inspired by Norman Bowker published?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)