|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unique about the mission the men were given when Rat Kiley was injured?
(a) They had to work alone
(b) They had to walk at night and sleep during the day
(c) They had to keep talking nonstop as part of a ruse
(d) They had to crawl the entire way
2. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
(a) Morty Phillips
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Bobby Jorgenson
(d) Rat Kiley
3. What source of light gave away the platoon's position?
(a) A flashlight
(b) A camp fire
(c) A camera flash
(d) A cigarette
4. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
5. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
(d) Talking to the dead
6. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
(b) Rat Kiley
(c) Curt Lemon
7. Who defends Lt. Cross from being at fault when the other guys want to blame him?
(a) Norman Bowker
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(d) Henry Dobbins
8. How many soldiers are said to be in the platoon?
9. The man Tim killed had a hole the shape of what where an eye was supposed to be?
(a) A star
(b) A crescent moon
(c) A circle
(d) A heart
10. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
(b) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
(c) The place where his foxhole was
(d) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
11. What does the author say about truth?
(a) Truth is absolute
(b) Truth is unattainable
(c) Story-truth is more real than happening-truth
(d) Everyone has their own truth
12. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(b) Foot soldier
(c) Radio man
13. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Working at various jobs
(b) Basketball at the YMCA
(c) Dating a number of women
(d) Classes at a community college
14. What animal does Tim notice as he tries to process the death of the man he killed?
(a) A bird
(b) A butterfly
(c) A snake
(d) A worm
15. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His arm
(b) His hand
(c) His boot
(d) His belt
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
2. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
3. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
4. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
5. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)