|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say about truth?
(a) Story-truth is more real than happening-truth
(b) Everyone has their own truth
(c) Truth is absolute
(d) Truth is unattainable
2. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
(a) Bobby Jorgenson
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Morty Phillips
3. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
(a) To a movie
(b) To a baseball game
(c) To the park
(d) To a skating rink
4. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
(a) Joke with the guys about killing people
(b) Give his rations to the villagers
(c) Find himself a Vietnam girlfriend
(d) Talk to a dead body as if it were alive
5. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
(a) It's a graveyard
(b) It's crawling with venomous snakes
(c) It's infested with large bugs
(d) It's where the village keeps their sewage
6. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
(b) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
(c) The place where his foxhole was
(d) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
7. Who does Rat Kiley accuse of whispering his name?
(a) The bugs
(b) The villagers
(c) The trees
(d) The other men in the platoon
8. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
(a) His wife
(b) His daughter
(c) His son
(d) His father
9. What part of the story is Tim's own?
(a) The part of pulling Kiowa by his boot
(b) The part of playing basketball at the YMCA
(c) The Silver Star part
(d) The friend drowning part
10. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
(a) He sang songs as he dressed the wound
(b) He pretended Tim had been pregnant
(c) He quoted from his medical manual in a pompous voice
(d) He made jokes about Tim dressing in drag
11. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Classes at a community college
(b) Working at various jobs
(c) Dating a number of women
(d) Basketball at the YMCA
12. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(b) Give him comic books to read
(c) Offer to write it up as an accident
(d) Calling him a coward
13. Which soldier is killed in the swampy field, and subsequently stuck in the muck?
(a) Henry Dobbins
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Ted Lavender
14. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
(c) Talking to the dead
15. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Lt. Cross
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kiowa's father do?
2. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
3. Who is curious about if the narrator killed anybody?
4. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
5. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)