|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator find relief from his feelings about the war?
(a) He works out
(b) He cries
(c) He writes stories
(d) He visits VA hospitals
2. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(a) Mary Anne
3. What medal did Norman Bowker almost win?
(a) Medal of Honor
(b) Purple Heart
(c) Gold Star
(d) Silver Star
4. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
(a) The command post
(b) A group of other soldiers
(c) A group of Vietnamese women
(d) A group of Vietnamese children
5. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) Kathleen's education
(b) All of his war buddies' lives
(c) Linda's memory
(d) His own life
6. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
(a) Talk to a dead body as if it were alive
(b) Give his rations to the villagers
(c) Find himself a Vietnam girlfriend
(d) Joke with the guys about killing people
7. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
8. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
9. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
(b) Rat Kiley
(c) Henry Dobbins
(d) Mitchell Sanders
10. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His arm
(b) His belt
(c) His boot
(d) His hand
11. What animal does Tim notice as he tries to process the death of the man he killed?
(a) A butterfly
(b) A worm
(c) A bird
(d) A snake
12. What does the author say about truth?
(a) Story-truth is more real than happening-truth
(b) Truth is absolute
(c) Everyone has their own truth
(d) Truth is unattainable
13. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) It is deserted
(b) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
(c) All the villagers are sick
(d) It is mostly all burned
14. What did Kiowa's father do?
(a) Work as a mechanic
(b) Work as a gardener
(c) Teach Sunday school
(d) Teach elementary school
15. Which feeling does the narrator not admit to about the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
2. How many soldiers are said to be in the platoon?
3. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
4. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
5. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)