|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
(a) Talking to the dead
2. Who defends Lt. Cross from being at fault when the other guys want to blame him?
(b) Norman Bowker
(c) Henry Dobbins
(d) Mitchell Sanders
3. Who is curious about if the narrator killed anybody?
(a) His son
(b) His friend
(c) His daughter
(d) His wife
4. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
5. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
(b) Safety line
(c) Vitamins for better eye sight
6. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
(a) To the park
(b) To a baseball game
(c) To a movie
(d) To a skating rink
7. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) The piece is too long
(b) It was a gross embellishment of the truth
(c) The piece is too short
(d) A lack of details
8. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The place where his foxhole was
(b) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
(c) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
(d) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
9. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(b) Calling him a coward
(c) Give him comic books to read
(d) Offer to write it up as an accident
10. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) His own life
(b) Kathleen's education
(c) All of his war buddies' lives
(d) Linda's memory
11. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His belt
(b) His arm
(c) His boot
(d) His hand
12. The man Tim killed had a hole the shape of what where an eye was supposed to be?
(a) A star
(b) A circle
(c) A crescent moon
(d) A heart
13. Which soldier is killed in the swampy field, and subsequently stuck in the muck?
(a) Rat Kiley
(b) Ted Lavender
(c) Henry Dobbins
14. What did Tim use to kill the man on the trail?
(a) A pistol
(b) A trip wire land mine
(c) A grenade
(d) A machine gun
15. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
(a) An old man
(b) A young girl
(c) An old woman
(d) A young boy
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Tim's daughter ask him?
2. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
3. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
4. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
5. What medal did Norman Bowker almost win?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)