|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Dating a number of women
(b) Basketball at the YMCA
(c) Working at various jobs
(d) Classes at a community college
2. The man Tim killed had a hole the shape of what where an eye was supposed to be?
(a) A star
(b) A circle
(c) A heart
(d) A crescent moon
3. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
(a) He punches Lt. Cross in the face
(b) He shoots himself in the foot
(c) He starts acting crazy and imitating animals
(d) He runs away and deserts the platoon
4. Where is the first draft of the story inspired by Norman Bowker published?
(a) In an anthology of short stories
(b) In a national magazine
(c) In Reader's Digest
(d) On the Internet
5. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
(a) A medal for bravery
(b) A postcard from home
(c) A picture of his girlfriend
(d) A passage in the Bible
6. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
(a) He relaxes with his Dad and watches baseball
(b) He drives around the lake
(c) He gets drunk
(d) He works a double shift
7. How many soldiers are said to be in the platoon?
8. What animal does Tim notice as he tries to process the death of the man he killed?
(a) A worm
(b) A snake
(c) A butterfly
(d) A bird
9. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
(a) By killing all the bugs
(b) By talking non stop
(c) By remaining silent
(d) By counting as high as he can
10. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
(a) The man would have surrendered
(b) Someone else in the platoon would have killed him
(c) The man would have just continued down the trail, unharmed
(d) The man would have planted land mines
11. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
(a) To the park
(b) To a movie
(c) To a skating rink
(d) To a baseball game
12. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
(a) He made jokes about Tim dressing in drag
(b) He quoted from his medical manual in a pompous voice
(c) He sang songs as he dressed the wound
(d) He pretended Tim had been pregnant
13. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His belt
(b) His hand
(c) His boot
(d) His arm
14. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(c) Henry Dobbins
15. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most "spooked" in the end?
2. What did Kiowa's father do?
3. Which soldier is killed in the swampy field, and subsequently stuck in the muck?
4. What did the man on trail wear on his feet?
5. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)