|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is unlucky to draw tunnel duty during the mission outside Than Khe?
(a) Henry Dobbins
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Ted Lavender
(d) Lee Strunk
2. Which men have a conversation when they see Lt. Cross crying after Ted Lavender's death?
(a) Rat Kiley and Kiowa
(b) Kiowa and Norman Bowker
(c) Norman Bowker and Henry Dobbins
(d) Mitchell Sanders and Dave Jensen
3. Who has a sister Rat Kiley writes a letter to?
(b) Curt Lemmon
(c) Ted Lavender
(d) Lee Strunk
4. What is Dave Jensen's decision with regard to the pact he made with Lee Strunk?
(a) He does not kill him.
(b) He loosens the tourniquet so he bleeds to death
(c) He promises to smother him in the hospital
(d) He shoots him in the head with a pistol
5. What movie did Jimmy Cross and Martha see on their date before the war?
(a) Pillow Talk
(b) Roman Holiday
(c) Bonnie and Clyde
6. What makes the men begin to believe in the good luck of Henry Dobbins' object?
(a) He kills the most number of enemies
(b) He escapes certain death
(c) Women in the village blow him kisses
(d) He never is picked for tunnel duty
7. What personality does Curt Lemon put out for others to see according to the narrator?
(a) A de facto leader, always reminding the guys of SOP
(b) A scared young man, always taking drugs to stay relaxed
(c) A tough soldier, always puffing himself up
(d) A big prankster, always pulling tricks on members of the platoon
8. Where does Jimmy Cross stay while he visits Tim?
(a) He lives next door
(b) A hotel
(c) Tim's guest room
(d) The nearby army base
9. What profession did Henry Dobbins want to have in high school?
(a) A minister
(b) A military officer
(c) A firefighter
(d) A travel writer
10. Who is the boyfriend of Mary Anne Bell?
(a) Dave Jensen
(b) Mark Fossie
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) A Green Beret
11. What does Dave Jensen do with the pistol?
(a) He breaks his own nose
(b) He shoots down a bird
(c) He gives it to Less Strunk as a peace offering
(d) He captures a Viet Cong
12. Who began to tense up in the line waiting for an examination?
(a) Dave Jense
(b) Rat Kiley
(c) Curt Lemon
(d) Tim O'Brien
13. What happens to Mary Anne Bell in the end, according to Rat Kiley?
(a) She takes a helicopter back home
(b) She was killed by a land mine
(c) She goes out and never returns, becoming a part of Vietnam
(d) She and Mark Fossie get married on the beach
14. What kind of wound qualified for a mercy kill?
(a) Head wound
(b) Wheelchair wound
(c) Loss of an arm
15. What purpose does the chapter 'Love' fill for the novel?
(a) It serves as an insight to how Lavender's family handled his death.
(b) It explains why the author decided to write the novel.
(c) It explains the historical context of the Vietnam War.
(d) It offers a prologue for all of the men in the company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong?
2. How did Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk agree on the pact?
3. What are Tim's duties at the pig factory?
4. What does Lee Strunk confess to Tim O'Brien in the morning?
5. After his first episode with the dentist, what did Curt Lemon do?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)