|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the sister respond to Rat Kiley's letter?
(a) She never writes back
(b) She starts writing Rat love letters
(c) She thanks Rat for the letter
(d) She asks Rat to visit
2. What happened in October to change things for Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk?
(a) Lee Strunk steps on a rigged mortar round
(b) Dave Jensen steps on a rigged mortar round
(c) Lee Strunk is hit by sniper fire
(d) Dave Jensen is hit by sniper fire
3. What does Mary Anne like to do when she disappears from the medical unit?
(a) Go see her secret Viet Cong lover
(b) Go swimming by herself
(c) Go out on patrols with the Green Berets
(d) Go visit in the villages with other women
4. Why is Kiowa against camping at the pagoda?
(a) Because it isn't strategic
(b) Because the enemy took all the valuable supplies
(c) Because it is disrespectful to religion
(d) Because the monks won't let an Indian sleep inside their walls
5. How did the jackknife incident change the relationship between Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk?
(a) The avoided each other
(b) They trusted each other
(c) They hated each other
(d) They instantly became best friends
6. What does Dave Jensen borrow?
(a) A cigarette
(b) A pistol
(c) A bar of chocolate
(d) A shovel
7. Who tells the war story about the listening patrol?
(a) Dave Jensen
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Rat Kiley
(d) Tim O'Brien
8. Norman Bowker's father only cares about what?
(a) His son coming home safely
(b) The medals his son brings home
(c) His son's position in the army
(d) Where his son is serving
9. What word does Ted Lavender use to describe the war?
10. Because he is a coward, what does Tim do?
(a) He joins the Peace Corps
(b) He hurts himself
(c) He runs away
(d) He goes to war
11. Which of the following is NOT a way the men resupplied the things they carried?
(a) Supply chopper
(c) Supply tent
(d) Scavenging from fallen enemies
12. How do we know the narrator is the author, Tim O'Brien?
(a) The narrator says he wants to write a story about all of this
(b) Rat Kiley asks Tim to write a book
(c) Jimmy Cross gives him money
(d) The narrator gives part of the royalties to Ted Lavender's family
13. What information is the letter Henry Dobbins receives in October?
(a) His sister is sick
(b) His girlfriend dumps him
(c) His mother died
(d) His girlfriend is pregnant
14. Who was excused from tunnel duty due to size?
(a) Rat Kiley
(b) Ted Lavender
(c) Lee Strunk
(d) Henry Dobbins
15. How did Jimmy Cross get another photograph of Martha?
(a) He actually saved one from burning in Vietnam
(b) Martha died, and he cut it out of the newspaper
(c) She gave it to him at a college reunion
(d) Martha's mother mailed him one after he came home
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not a benefit of being stationed in the area?
2. How did Tim protest the war?
3. "Hump it" means what?
4. After his first episode with the dentist, what did Curt Lemon do?
5. On what occasion does Rat Kiley write a letter to a man's sister?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)