|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of wound qualified for a mercy kill?
(b) Loss of an arm
(c) Head wound
(d) Wheelchair wound
2. How did Tim protest the war?
(a) Setting the recruiting station on fire
(b) Ringing doorbells for McCarthy
(c) Participating in a parade
(d) Organizing sit ins at his college
3. What year does Tim graduate college?
4. Which is not a benefit of being stationed in the area?
(a) Palm trees
(b) Communications to call home
(c) Friendly villages
(d) White beaches
5. How does the sister respond to Rat Kiley's letter?
(a) She never writes back
(b) She starts writing Rat love letters
(c) She asks Rat to visit
(d) She thanks Rat for the letter
6. How do we know the narrator is the author, Tim O'Brien?
(a) Rat Kiley asks Tim to write a book
(b) Jimmy Cross gives him money
(c) The narrator gives part of the royalties to Ted Lavender's family
(d) The narrator says he wants to write a story about all of this
7. Where is Martha a student?
(a) Madison State University
(b) Mount Sebastian College
(c) Princeton University
(d) New Jersey College
8. "Hump it" means what?
(a) Shoot at the enemy
(b) Stay in formation
(c) To carry something
(d) Dig a foxhole
9. What company are the men in?
(a) Charlie Company
(b) Bravo Company
(c) Alpha Company
(d) Delta Company
10. What personality does Curt Lemon put out for others to see according to the narrator?
(a) A de facto leader, always reminding the guys of SOP
(b) A tough soldier, always puffing himself up
(c) A big prankster, always pulling tricks on members of the platoon
(d) A scared young man, always taking drugs to stay relaxed
11. Which item doubled as a body bag?
(a) Flak jacket
(c) Extra set of fatigues
12. "A true war story, if truly told, makes the ____________ believe."
13. How did Dave Jensen and Lee Strunk agree on the pact?
(a) They became blood brothers
(b) They wrote it on paper and signed it
(c) They asked Lt. Cross to witness it
(d) The spit shook on it
14. What object is Mitchell Sanders described with each time he is talking?
(a) A yo-yo
(b) A coin he flips
(c) A cigarette lighter
(d) A deck of cards
15. What animal does the platoon run into after Curt Lemon's death?
(a) Baby deer
(b) Baby snake
(c) Baby goat
(d) Baby water buffalo
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he call the object around his neck?
2. What game do Henry Dobbins and Norman Bowker play?
3. What purpose does the chapter 'Love' fill for the novel?
4. What is a war story NOT about?
5. What makes the men begin to believe in the good luck of Henry Dobbins' object?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)