|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the war story about the listening patrol?
(a) Rat Kiley
(b) Mitchell Sanders
(c) Tim O'Brien
(d) Dave Jensen
2. What does Mitchell Sanders call 'Nam'?
(c) Garden of Evil
(d) Garden of Eden
3. Who has a sister Rat Kiley writes a letter to?
(a) Ted Lavender
(c) Curt Lemmon
(d) Lee Strunk
4. What item owned by Dave Jensen is missing?
(a) A jackknife
(b) A girlfriend's photograph
(c) A personal letter
(d) A food ration
5. On what occasion does Rat Kiley write a letter to a man's sister?
(a) The man died
(b) The man was promoted
(c) The man is coming home safely
(d) The man was captured
6. Why was Curt Lemon "all smiles" the next morning?
(a) To make everyone know how great he was at killing Viet Cong
(b) To show off the tooth he had pulled
(c) To keep from laughing at the rest of the platoon
(d) To celebrate his attack on the dentist
7. Who does Tim credit with saving his life?
(a) His father
(b) Aunt Jean
(c) Mitchell Sanders
(d) Elroy Berdahl
8. Where does he stop before crossing the border?
(a) Tip Top Lodge
(b) Niagra Falls
(c) At a campsite
(d) His Aunt's house
9. What purpose does the chapter 'Love' fill for the novel?
(a) It offers a prologue for all of the men in the company.
(b) It serves as an insight to how Lavender's family handled his death.
(c) It explains why the author decided to write the novel.
(d) It explains the historical context of the Vietnam War.
10. What object is Mitchell Sanders described with each time he is talking?
(a) A deck of cards
(b) A cigarette lighter
(c) A yo-yo
(d) A coin he flips
11. Which limb does Lee Strunk lose?
(a) Right leg
(b) Left arm
(c) Right arm
(d) Left leg
12. How did Tim protest the war?
(a) Organizing sit ins at his college
(b) Participating in a parade
(c) Ringing doorbells for McCarthy
(d) Setting the recruiting station on fire
13. Which is not a benefit of being stationed in the area?
(a) White beaches
(b) Friendly villages
(c) Palm trees
(d) Communications to call home
14. What does he call the object around his neck?
(a) His guardian angel
(b) His closeness to a woman
(c) His good luck charm
(d) His piece of home
15. Which of the following is NOT a way the men resupplied the things they carried?
(b) Scavenging from fallen enemies
(c) Supply tent
(d) Supply chopper
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha became a trained __________.
2. "A true war story, if truly told, makes the ____________ believe."
3. Who gets into a fist fight?
4. What holiday did Curt Lemon celebrate with the villagers?
5. How much money is the "Emergency Fund" envelope?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)