* Men are defined by the things they carry.
* Lieutenant Jimmy Cross carries letters from a woman named Martha.
* Ted Lavender carries tranquilizers and dope.
* Henry Dobbins carries extra rations.
* Kiowa, a Native American soldier, carries a copy of the New Testament.
* Norman Bowker carries a dead Viet Cong boy's thumb and a diary.
* Dave Jensen carries extra socks, and Dr. Scholl's foot powder.
* Lee Strunk carries a slingshot.
* Rat Kiley, the medic, carries brandy, M&Ms and comic books.
* Mitchell Sanders carries condoms.
* In the first week of April, Martha sends Lt. Cross a white pebble. It becomes his good luck charm.
* In the middle of April the platoon is sent to destroy tunnels in the Than Khe region.
* Lee Strunk draws unlucky "17" and is assigned to search the tunnels before destruction.
* Ted Lavender is killed on the way back from relieving his bladder.
* The men strip...
This section contains 3,672 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)