Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
2. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
3. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
4. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
5. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
Essay Topic 1
In The Bell Jar Sylvia Plath provides a commentary on American women. Choose three major scenes or characters from the novel and:
1) describe them as they relate to women
2) explain what you think Plath was trying to say about women through this scene/character.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In The Bell Jar, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select two of the following minor characters to analyze: Doreen, Joan, Buddy Willard, Mrs. Greenwood and Jay Cee. Discuss:
1) the personality (character traits) of this character
2) the relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) the impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Esther
2) discuss the impact of this character on Esther's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Esther than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)