|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
2. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
3. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
4. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
5. Who does Jody set Esther up on a blind date with?
Essay Topic 1
In The Bell Jar, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select two of the following minor characters to analyze: Doreen, Joan, Buddy Willard, Mrs. Greenwood and Jay Cee. Discuss:
1) the personality (character traits) of this character
2) the relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) the impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
In The Bell Jar Sylvia Plath provides a commentary on American women. Choose three major scenes or characters from the novel and:
1) describe them as they relate to women
2) explain what you think Plath was trying to say about women through this scene/character.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout The Bell Jar, Esther moves between the present and the past. Select three of the flashback scenes and:
1) describe what happens in each of these scenes
2) discuss the significance of each scene in Esther's life
3) discuss how the flashback scene relates to the "present" time scene it is embedded in.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)