|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She feels much better after the treatment.
(b) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
(c) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(d) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
2. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He failed to cure her depression.
(b) He had her committed to a public hospital.
(c) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(d) He gave her painful shock treatments.
3. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
4. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
(a) Through a news article Joan shows her.
(b) Through a letter that her mother writes her.
(c) Joan tells her.
(d) Dr. Nolan tells her.
5. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To demand he pays her medical bills
(b) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(c) To chastise him for injuring her
(d) To set up another date
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
2. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
3. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
4. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
5. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
2. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
3. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
4. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
5. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
6. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
7. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
8. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
9. What thoughts consume Esther after finding out she must have shock treatments?
10. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)