|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 21 days
(b) 7 days
(c) 14 days
(d) 30 days
2. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(b) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(c) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(d) She insults the food service person.
3. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
(a) They look like they do not belong at the hospital.
(b) They all look sick.
(c) They have blank looks on their faces.
(d) They are hardly moving.
4. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
(b) She found him attractive.
(c) She liked his parents.
(d) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
5. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
(b) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(c) She feels much better after the treatment.
(d) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
2. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
3. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
4. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
5. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
Short Essay Questions
1. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
2. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
3. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
4. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
5. Describe Irwin
6. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
7. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
8. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
9. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
10. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)