|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A gynecologist
(b) An obstetrician
(c) A psychiatrist
(d) A orthopedist
2. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
(a) They have blank looks on their faces.
(b) They look like they do not belong at the hospital.
(c) They all look sick.
(d) They are hardly moving.
3. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
(b) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
(c) It irritates her mother.
(d) It seems silly to her.
4. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) For Valentine's day
(b) They are a gift from Buddy
(c) To cheer her up
(d) For her birthday
5. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 7 nights
(b) 30 nights
(c) 14 nights
(d) 3 nights
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
2. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
3. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
4. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
5. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
2. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
3. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
4. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
5. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
6. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
7. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
8. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
9. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
10. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)