|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She has had a lobotomy.
(b) She had many shock treatments.
(c) She tried to kill herself.
(d) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
2. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
(a) Her college dormitory
(b) The Amazon hotel
(c) With the Willards
(d) Her mother's home
3. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(a) New York City
(b) San Francisco
4. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
(a) How she will be able to have a literary career when she can't write
(b) What people will be willing to befriend her after being in an asylum
(c) How she'll be able to maintain her sanity in the
(d) What man will marry her after being in an asylum
5. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(d) Dee Dee
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
2. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
3. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
4. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
5. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
2. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
3. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
4. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
5. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
6. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
7. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
8. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
9. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
10. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)