|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(a) Continued weekly appointments with him
(b) Admittance to an asylum
(d) Shock treatment
2. Who does Jody set Esther up on a blind date with?
(b) Dr. Gordon
3. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
(a) 3 times a month
(b) 3 times a week
(c) Every other week
(d) 2 times a week
4. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
(a) To contemplate suicide
(b) To visit her grandparents' graves
(c) To select a gravesite for her body
(d) To visit her father's grave
5. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(b) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
(c) Jay Cee
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
2. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
3. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
4. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
5. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Irwin
2. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
3. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
4. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
5. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
6. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
7. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
8. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
9. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
10. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)