|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
(b) She has had a lobotomy.
(c) She tried to kill herself.
(d) She had many shock treatments.
2. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A orthopedist
(b) A gynecologist
(c) A psychiatrist
(d) An obstetrician
3. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
(a) To select a gravesite for her body
(b) To visit her grandparents' graves
(c) To contemplate suicide
(d) To visit her father's grave
4. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
(a) Their breakfast tray is not delivered.
(b) They receive a note the night before.
(c) Their psychiatrists tell them.
(d) They are woken up early for treatments.
5. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Cut her wrists
(b) Drown herself
(c) Take all of her sleeping pills
(d) Hang herself
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
2. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
3. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
4. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
5. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
2. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
3. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
4. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
5. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
6. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
7. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
8. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
9. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
10. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)