|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(b) Abnormal psychology texts
(c) James Joyce's novels
(d) A book of short stories
2. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) Her mother comes home and finds her.
(b) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
(c) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
(d) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
3. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(b) It will hardly hurt.
(c) Few patients have negative side effects.
(d) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
4. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(b) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
(d) Jay Cee
5. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She attends her funeral.
(b) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
(c) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(d) She visits her grave site.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
2. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
3. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
4. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
5. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)