|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(b) Jay Cee
(c) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
2. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Sores on her feet
(b) A fight with her parents
(c) An article about Esther
(d) Her breakup with Buddy
3. Who does Jody set Esther up on a blind date with?
(d) Dr. Gordon
4. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He failed to cure her depression.
(b) He had her committed to a public hospital.
(c) He gave her painful shock treatments.
(d) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
5. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A gynecologist
(b) An obstetrician
(c) A psychiatrist
(d) A orthopedist
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
2. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
3. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
4. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
5. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
2. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
3. Describe Irwin
4. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
5. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
6. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
7. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
8. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
9. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
10. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)