|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He had her committed to a public hospital.
(b) He failed to cure her depression.
(c) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(d) He gave her painful shock treatments.
2. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(b) She attends her funeral.
(c) She visits her grave site.
(d) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
3. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Nurse Kennedy
(b) Her old college roommate
(c) Her parents
4. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In her college dorm room
(b) In her basement
(c) In her bedroom
(d) In the psychiatric ward
5. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Nolan
(b) Dr. Gordon
(c) Dr. Syphilis
(d) Buddy Willard
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
2. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
3. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
4. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
5. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
2. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
3. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
4. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
5. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
6. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
7. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
8. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
9. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
10. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)