|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 14 nights
(b) 3 nights
(c) 7 nights
(d) 30 nights
2. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He failed to cure her depression.
(b) He gave her painful shock treatments.
(c) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(d) He had her committed to a public hospital.
3. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(b) Her old college roommate
(c) Nurse Kennedy
(d) Her parents
4. Who does Jody set Esther up on a blind date with?
(b) Dr. Gordon
5. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(b) Dr. Nolan
(c) Dr. Syphilis
(d) Buddy Willard
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
2. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
3. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
4. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
5. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
2. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
3. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
4. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
5. What thoughts consume Esther after finding out she must have shock treatments?
6. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
7. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
8. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
9. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
10. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)