|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
(b) She liked his parents.
(c) She found him attractive.
(d) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
2. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(c) San Francisco
(d) New York City
3. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to ask her to marry him.
(b) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(c) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
(d) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
4. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
(a) What people will be willing to befriend her after being in an asylum
(b) What man will marry her after being in an asylum
(c) How she will be able to have a literary career when she can't write
(d) How she'll be able to maintain her sanity in the
5. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) She begins hemorrhaging.
(b) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
(c) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
(d) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
2. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
3. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
4. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
5. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
2. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
3. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
4. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
5. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
6. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
7. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
8. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
9. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
10. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)