|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
(a) Their psychiatrists tell them.
(b) They are woken up early for treatments.
(c) They receive a note the night before.
(d) Their breakfast tray is not delivered.
2. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to ask her to marry him.
(b) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
(c) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(d) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
3. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She yells at George Bakewell.
(b) She attacks her mother.
(c) She breaks a mirror.
(d) She refuses shock treatment.
4. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A photograph
(b) A blanket
(c) A book
(d) Paper and a pencil
5. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(b) A book of short stories
(c) James Joyce's novels
(d) Abnormal psychology texts
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
2. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
3. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
4. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
5. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
2. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
3. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
4. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
5. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
6. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
7. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
8. What thoughts consume Esther after finding out she must have shock treatments?
9. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
10. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)