|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
(b) She liked his parents.
(c) She found him attractive.
(d) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
2. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A photograph
(b) Paper and a pencil
(c) A blanket
(d) A book
3. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(a) A book of short stories
(b) James Joyce's novels
(c) Abnormal psychology texts
4. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) Few patients have negative side effects.
(b) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(c) It will hardly hurt.
(d) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
5. What does Joan find in a magazine that shocks Esther?
(a) An article that Esther wrote
(b) A photo of Buddy and his new girlfriend
(c) A photo of her time in NYC
(d) An article about her disappearance
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
2. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
3. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
4. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
5. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
2. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
3. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
4. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
5. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
6. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
7. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
8. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
9. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
10. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)