|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
(a) A letter from Buddy
(b) A book of poetry
(c) A mirror
(d) A ball of mercury
2. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She wears a cameo brooch.
(b) She does not speak.
(c) She will not leave her room.
(d) She is not friendly to Esther.
3. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) Dr. Nolan's apartment
(b) The asylum
(c) Joan's apartment
(d) The hospital
4. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Her breakup with Buddy
(b) A fight with her parents
(c) An article about Esther
(d) Sores on her feet
5. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He gave her painful shock treatments.
(b) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(c) He failed to cure her depression.
(d) He had her committed to a public hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
2. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
3. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
4. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
5. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
2. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
3. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
4. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
5. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
6. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
7. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
8. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
9. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
10. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)