|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Her parents
(b) Nurse Kennedy
(d) Her old college roommate
2. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
(b) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
(c) She found him attractive.
(d) She liked his parents.
3. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To chastise him for injuring her
(b) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(c) To set up another date
(d) To demand he pays her medical bills
4. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(b) New York City
(d) San Francisco
5. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
(a) To contemplate suicide
(b) To visit her grandparents' graves
(c) To select a gravesite for her body
(d) To visit her father's grave
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
2. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
3. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
4. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
5. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
2. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
3. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
4. Describe Irwin
5. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
6. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
7. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
8. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
9. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
10. What thoughts consume Esther after finding out she must have shock treatments?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)