|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
(a) A red dress
(b) A red wool suit
(c) A black wool suit
(d) A purple dress and cameo brooch
2. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
(a) Philomena Guinea
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Jay Cee
(d) Her mother
3. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) Joan's apartment
(b) The hospital
(c) Dr. Nolan's apartment
(d) The asylum
4. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
(b) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(c) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(d) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
5. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
(a) To tell her she is improving
(b) To have a private therapy session
(c) To tell her her mother will be visiting later in the day
(d) To tell her she will be having a shock treatment
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
2. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
3. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
4. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
5. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
2. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
3. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
4. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
5. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
6. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
7. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
8. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
9. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
10. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)