|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Cut her wrists
(b) Take all of her sleeping pills
(c) Drown herself
(d) Hang herself
2. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) George Bakewell's
(b) Her mother's
(c) Buddy Willard's
(d) Her uncle's
3. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She wears a cameo brooch.
(b) She does not speak.
(c) She will not leave her room.
(d) She is not friendly to Esther.
4. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(b) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(c) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(d) She insults the food service person.
5. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
(a) 3 times a month
(b) 2 times a week
(c) Every other week
(d) 3 times a week
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
2. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
3. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
4. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
5. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
2. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
3. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
4. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
5. What thoughts consume Esther after finding out she must have shock treatments?
6. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
7. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
8. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
9. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
10. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)