|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
2. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She yells at George Bakewell.
(b) She attacks her mother.
(c) She refuses shock treatment.
(d) She breaks a mirror.
3. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) For Valentine's day
(b) To cheer her up
(c) For her birthday
(d) They are a gift from Buddy
4. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
(a) What man will marry her after being in an asylum
(b) How she'll be able to maintain her sanity in the
(c) What people will be willing to befriend her after being in an asylum
(d) How she will be able to have a literary career when she can't write
5. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Dr. Nolan
(d) Dr. Syphilis
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
2. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
3. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
4. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
5. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
2. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
3. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
4. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
5. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
6. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
7. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
8. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
9. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
10. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)