|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(b) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
(c) He wants to ask her to marry him.
(d) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
2. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She tries to kill herself.
(b) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
(c) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(d) She tries to kill her mother in law.
3. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She wears a cameo brooch.
(b) She will not leave her room.
(c) She is not friendly to Esther.
(d) She does not speak.
4. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(b) He asks to speak to her mother.
(c) He diagnoses her as depressed.
(d) He changes the subject.
5. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A blanket
(b) A photograph
(c) Paper and a pencil
(d) A book
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
2. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
3. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
4. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
5. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
2. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
3. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
4. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
5. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
6. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
7. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
8. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
9. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther to help her feel better about Joan's death?
10. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)