|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(b) Shock treatment
(c) Continued weekly appointments with him
(d) Admittance to an asylum
2. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) She is angry that they are moving her down.
(b) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(c) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(d) She does not feel well enough to move up.
3. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Take all of her sleeping pills
(b) Hang herself
(c) Drown herself
(d) Cut her wrists
4. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
(a) Buddy Willard
(b) Jay Cee
(c) Philomena Guinea
(d) Her mother
5. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He failed to cure her depression.
(b) He had her committed to a public hospital.
(c) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(d) He gave her painful shock treatments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
2. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
3. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
4. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
5. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
2. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
3. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
4. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
5. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
6. Describe Irwin
7. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
8. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
9. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
10. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)