|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
(a) To tell her she will be having a shock treatment
(b) To tell her her mother will be visiting later in the day
(c) To have a private therapy session
(d) To tell her she is improving
2. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) The hospital
(b) The asylum
(c) Dr. Nolan's apartment
(d) Joan's apartment
3. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
(b) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
(c) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(d) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
4. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
5. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(b) He changes the subject.
(c) He asks to speak to her mother.
(d) He diagnoses her as depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
2. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
3. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
4. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
5. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
2. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
3. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
4. What do the voices in Esther's head tell her as she sits in the park contemplating suicide?
5. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
6. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
7. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
8. Describe the circumstances that led to Joan's hospitalization.
9. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
10. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)