|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 30 days
(b) 14 days
(c) 21 days
(d) 7 days
2. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
(a) She is sleeping too much.
(b) She is not responding to the insulin injections.
(c) She has thrown out the roses from her mother.
(d) She has had a reaction to the insulin injections.
3. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
(a) Their psychiatrists tell them.
(b) Their breakfast tray is not delivered.
(c) They receive a note the night before.
(d) They are woken up early for treatments.
4. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
5. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He asks to speak to her mother.
(b) He diagnoses her as depressed.
(c) He changes the subject.
(d) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
2. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
3. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
4. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
5. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Esther expect Dr. Nolan to give her after her insulin reaction? What news does she actually give her?
2. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
3. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
4. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
5. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
6. Describe the scene at the cemetery.
7. How does the private hospital staff compare to those at the public hospital?
8. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
9. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
10. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)