|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Nolan
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Dr. Syphilis
(d) Dr. Gordon
2. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) The plants
(b) The lighting
(c) His silver pencil
(d) The photograph of his family
3. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 7 nights
(b) 14 nights
(c) 30 nights
(d) 3 nights
4. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
(a) Every other week
(b) 3 times a week
(c) 2 times a week
(d) 3 times a month
5. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) The asylum
(b) The hospital
(c) Joan's apartment
(d) Dr. Nolan's apartment
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
2. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
3. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
4. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
5. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Esther's shock treatment experience at the private hospital different than the one she had with Dr. Gordon?
2. Describe Esther's feelings about the women living in Belsize
3. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
4. Describe Esther's encounter with the sailor
5. Describe Irwin
6. Describe Esther's feelings as she visits the gynecologist.
7. What does Dr. Nolan tell Esther about shock treatments in this chapter?
8. How does Esther feel as she is waiting to enter her exit hearing?
9. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
10. How does Esther find out about Joan's homosexuality?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)