|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Esther do the first time she saw a finger bowl?
(a) She ate the contents, thinking it was an exotic soup.
(b) She panicked not knowing what to do with it.
(c) She dipped her fingers in it to clean them.
(d) She asked her hostess what it was for.
2. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A stylish fan.
(c) A diamond pin
(d) A new puppy.
3. Why is Esther disturbed by Buddy's view of poetry?
(a) It shows that he never read the poems she wrote for him.
(b) She believes that poetry is more important than cadavers.
(c) She is a literature major and a writer.
(d) It demonstrates his ignorance.
4. What disturbs Esther about the drug that the birthing mother is given?
(a) t claims to make the woman forget the experience, but actually only alleviates pain.
(b) It claims to alleviate pain, but actually only makes the woman forget her birth experience.
(c) The woman is given the drug against her will.
(d) It was created by a man.
5. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
2. Why does Buddy call Esther at college?
3. How does Ladies' Day determine what causes the girls' sickness?
4. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
5. What does Esther decide about her relationship with Constantin during their dinner date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esther decide to take a bath when she returns to her hotel?
2. Contrast Esther's and Buddy's feelings about his diagnosis
3. Describe the birth scene that Esther and Buddy witness from Esther's point of view
4. Compare Constantin and Buddy.
5. What activities does Esther consider taking up after finding out she was not accepted into the writing course?
6. Describe the sanatorium where Buddy is receiving treatment for TB.
7. Describe Jay Cee (from Esther's perspective)
8. Describe the situation that leads Esther to leave Lenny's apartment
9. Describe the article that Esther's mother gives her from Reader's Digest ("In Defense of Chastity").
10. Describe Esther and Hilda's conversation at breakfast.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)