|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only girl working at the magazine who does not get sick?
(b) Emily Ann
2. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
(b) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
(c) An angry note from Doreen.
(d) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
3. With whom does Esther ride back to the Amazon after leaving the movie premiere?
(a) Emily Ann
(c) Jay Cee
4. What does Constantin say is the most difficult aspect of simultaneous translation?
(a) Understanding the ambassadors' accents
(b) The idioms
(c) The speed at which the ambassadors speak
(d) The verb conjugations
5. What is Esther's first reaction when Buddy proposes to her?
(a) She feels nauseous.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She feels like laughing.
(d) She is delighted.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
2. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
3. How does Doreen avoid getting food poisoning?
4. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
5. How does Esther feel as she careens down the ski slope?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Buddy's letter to Esther (that is waiting for her when she gets home).
2. How does Esther change from the beginning to the end of this chapter?
3. Describe the story that Esther reads in the short story book from the Ladies' Day magazine
4. Who is Mrs. Ockenden?
5. According to Esther, what is her mother's opinion of her interest in becoming a writer or editor?
6. Describe Esther and Hilda's conversation at breakfast.
7. Why does Jay Cee want Esther to come into the office instead of attending the fur show?
8. What is Esther's standing joke with her grandfather about caviar?
9. Describe the Amazon.
10. Describe what runs through Esther's head when she and Constantin are visiting the UN.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)