|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther like Doreen?
(a) She is fashion conscious.
(b) She is wealthy.
(c) She provides a smoking partner for Esther.
(d) She is witty and sarcastic.
2. What is Esther's response to Buddy's marriage proposal?
(a) She tells him she will never get married.
(b) She rejects his proposal because she believes he is a hypocrite.
(c) She tells him she needs to think about it before answering.
(d) She accepts his proposal and agrees to marry him.
3. Why does Esther leave the movie premiere?
(a) She wants to see Doreen as soon as she comes back from Coney Island.
(b) She is tired and wants to go to sleep.
(c) She does not like the movie.
(d) She feels nauseous.
4. Where is Marco from?
5. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
(a) She believes he is about to tell her that Mrs. Willard is pregnant.
(b) She thinks that the Willards want to adopt her.
(c) She knows that Buddy is going to propose marriage to her.
(d) She thinks that Mr. Willard wants to make her feel good about herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buddy tell Esther she will want to abandon once she has children?
2. How many children does Dodo Conway have?
3. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
4. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
5. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esther convince the college to exempt her from the chemistry course requirement?
2. How does Buddy react when Esther falls while skiing?
3. What does Esther think makes her a neurotic?
4. According to Esther, what is her mother's opinion of her interest in becoming a writer or editor?
5. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
6. Describe Esther and Hilda's conversation at breakfast.
7. Who is Mrs. Ockenden?
8. Why does Marco give Esther his diamond stick pin?
9. What activities does Esther consider taking up after finding out she was not accepted into the writing course?
10. How does Buddy tell Esther about losing his virginity?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)