|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
(a) It is utterly silent in her room.
(b) She feels abandoned by Doreen.
(c) She wishes she had gone to the magazine party instead of to Lenny's apartment.
(d) It is smoky in her room.
2. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
(c) The hotel nurse
(d) The hotel maid
3. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A diamond pin
(d) A stylish fan.
4. What is keeping Esther from telling Buddy that she has no intention of marrying him?
(a) His illness
(b) Fear of his mother's response
(c) Her commitment to the magazine
(d) He is attending medical school and she does not want to distract him.
5. What does Esther do to prevent Marco from raping her?
(a) She stabs him with his diamond pin.
(b) She punches him in the nose.
(c) She calls for Doreen.
(d) She punches him in the stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
2. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
3. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
4. How does Esther feel about the cadavers that Buddy shows her?
5. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jay Cee want Esther to come into the office instead of attending the fur show?
2. How does Esther convince the college to exempt her from the chemistry course requirement?
3. Why does Marco give Esther his diamond stick pin?
4. Why does Esther decide to take a bath when she returns to her hotel?
5. Describe Buddy's letter to Esther (that is waiting for her when she gets home).
6. Why is Esther so enamored with the rich foods she is served at the Ladies' Day luncheon?
7. How does Jay Cee attempt to cheer Esther up the day of the photo shoot?
8. Describe Esther and Hilda's conversation at breakfast.
9. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
10. What news does Mrs. Greenwood deliver to Esther when she picks her up from the train station? How does Esther react?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)