|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) Lenny drives her home.
(b) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
(c) She takes a cab.
(d) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
2. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
3. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
(b) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
(c) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(d) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
4. Why does Esther leave the movie premiere?
(a) She does not like the movie.
(b) She wants to see Doreen as soon as she comes back from Coney Island.
(c) She feels nauseous.
(d) She is tired and wants to go to sleep.
5. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
(a) The day she found out he had TB.
(b) The moment he kissed her after the Junior Prom.
(c) When he asks her to Junior Prom.
(d) The day they saw a baby born.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buddy call Esther at college?
2. Why does Esther order vodka at the bar?
3. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
4. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
5. What does Esther label Marco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story that Esther reads in the short story book from the Ladies' Day magazine
2. Describe the sanatorium where Buddy is receiving treatment for TB.
3. Why does Marco give Esther his diamond stick pin?
4. Who are Frankie and Lenny?
5. Why does Esther decide to take a bath when she returns to her hotel?
6. Describe the movie that the girls go to see from Esther's point of view
7. What does Esther think makes her a neurotic?
8. Describe the events that lead to Esther's food poisoning
9. How does Buddy tell Esther about losing his virginity?
10. How does Esther convince the college to exempt her from the chemistry course requirement?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)