|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
(a) She thinks that Mr. Willard wants to make her feel good about herself.
(b) She thinks that the Willards want to adopt her.
(c) She knows that Buddy is going to propose marriage to her.
(d) She believes he is about to tell her that Mrs. Willard is pregnant.
2. Why does Esther leave the movie premiere?
(a) She wants to see Doreen as soon as she comes back from Coney Island.
(b) She feels nauseous.
(c) She is tired and wants to go to sleep.
(d) She does not like the movie.
3. What is Esther's first reaction when Buddy proposes to her?
(a) She is delighted.
(b) She feels like laughing.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She feels nauseous.
4. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(b) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
(c) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
(d) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
5. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) She always earns A's in his courses.
(b) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(c) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
(d) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sorts of foods does Esther say she likes the best?
2. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
3. Why can't Marco marry the woman he is in love with?
4. What does Esther do as Lenny and Doreen dance?
5. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation that leads Esther to leave Lenny's apartment
2. Describe what runs through Esther's head when she and Constantin are visiting the UN.
3. Describe Buddy's first visit to Esther's college
4. Contrast Esther's and Buddy's feelings about his diagnosis
5. Describe the birth scene that Esther and Buddy witness from Esther's point of view
6. Why does Mr. Willard leave Esther alone with Buddy at the sanatorium?
7. What is Eric's philosophy on sexual relationships?
8. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
9. What news does Mrs. Greenwood deliver to Esther when she picks her up from the train station? How does Esther react?
10. Why does Esther decide to take a bath when she returns to her hotel?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)