|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
(a) He is angry at her and vowed never to speak to her again.
(b) He usually writes letters because he is too cheap to pay for long distance.
(c) She rarely receives phone calls.
(d) She had broken up with him and did not expect to hear from him.
2. Why does Esther say she would never marry Buddy Willard?
(a) She believes he is a hypocrite.
(b) She hates Mrs. Willard and could not stand to be her daughter-in-law.
(c) She has no desire to marry anyone.
(d) She is in love with Constantin.
3. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(b) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
(c) She always earns A's in his courses.
(d) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
4. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She has a drink.
(b) She takes a hot bath.
(c) She calls her mother for moral support.
(d) She smokes a cigarette.
5. Why is Esther disturbed by Buddy's view of poetry?
(a) It shows that he never read the poems she wrote for him.
(b) It demonstrates his ignorance.
(c) She is a literature major and a writer.
(d) She believes that poetry is more important than cadavers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Doreen vomit on the carpet of the hotel hallway?
2. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
3. Doreen tells Lenny she will go to his apartment only if---
4. What does Buddy tell Esther she should get used to seeing?
5. What causes Esther's skiing accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Buddy's first visit to Esther's college
2. What news does Mrs. Greenwood deliver to Esther when she picks her up from the train station? How does Esther react?
3. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy comes to visit her at college?
4. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
5. Contrast Esther's and Buddy's feelings about his diagnosis
6. What is Esther's opinion of Betsy?
7. Describe Buddy's letter to Esther (that is waiting for her when she gets home).
8. What is Esther's standing joke with her grandfather about caviar?
9. How does Buddy react when Esther falls while skiing?
10. Describe the birth scene that Esther and Buddy witness from Esther's point of view
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)