|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Esther let Doreen come into her room when she returns from Lenny's?
(a) She fears she will never get rid of her again.
(b) She fears she will vomit on her bed.
(c) She is angry at Doreen for not accompanying her on the long walk back to the hotel.
(d) She is angry at Doreen for waking her up.
2. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
(a) Every weekend
(b) Every third weekend
(c) Once a month
(d) Every other weekend
3. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) She is attending New York University.
(b) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
(c) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
(d) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
4. What does Esther resolve to do during her summer at home?
(a) Take a summer course
(b) Write a novel
(c) Gain life experience
(d) Break up with Buddy
5. What course keeps Esther from considering a major in English?
(a) Old English
(b) History of the English Language
(c) Eighteenth century literature
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jody call Esther?
2. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
3. Why is Esther afraid of taking chemistry?
4. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
5. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities does Esther consider taking up after finding out she was not accepted into the writing course?
2. Describe the Amazon.
3. What is Esther's standing joke with her grandfather about caviar?
4. What is Eric's philosophy on sexual relationships?
5. Describe the article that Esther's mother gives her from Reader's Digest ("In Defense of Chastity").
6. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
7. What does Esther think makes her a neurotic?
8. Describe the movie that the girls go to see from Esther's point of view
9. How does Buddy react when Esther falls while skiing?
10. Why does Marco give Esther his diamond stick pin?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)