|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(c) Her mother
(d) Jay Cee
2. What does Esther label Marco?
(a) a snake
(b) a playing card
(c) a Latin lover
(d) a woman-hater
3. Why does Doreen vomit on the carpet of the hotel hallway?
(a) She has food poisoning.
(b) She has the flu.
(c) She is drunk.
(d) She is upset that Lenny dumped her.
4. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
(a) He calls them worthless pieces of junk.
(b) He likens them to the cadavers he dissects in medical school.
(c) He sees them as capturing all the beauty there is in the world.
(d) He calls poems pieces of dust.
5. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
(a) Her grandmother
(b) Her grandfather
(c) Her mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lenny Shepherd famous for?
2. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
3. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
4. What causes Esther's skiing accident?
5. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Constantin and Buddy.
2. What is Esther's standing joke with her grandfather about caviar?
3. What activities does Esther consider taking up after finding out she was not accepted into the writing course?
4. Describe Buddy's first visit to Esther's college
5. Why is Esther upset when Buddy tells her he is no longer a virgin?
6. What is Esther's opinion of Betsy?
7. Describe Esther and Hilda's conversation at breakfast.
8. Describe what runs through Esther's head when she and Constantin are visiting the UN.
9. Who is Mrs. Ockenden?
10. What does Esther decide about her friendship with Doreen the night of their visit to Lenny's apartment? What causes her to make this decision?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)