|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
(a) He sees them as capturing all the beauty there is in the world.
(b) He calls poems pieces of dust.
(c) He calls them worthless pieces of junk.
(d) He likens them to the cadavers he dissects in medical school.
2. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(b) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
(c) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(d) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
3. Why is Esther shocked when Buddy tells her he is not a virgin?
(a) She believed that he was opposed to pre-marital sex.
(b) She plans to marry him and wanted him to be a virgin.
(c) She believed she was more sexually experienced than he was.
(d) She wanted for them both to lose their virginity together.
4. Which of the girls at the Amazon does Esther spend the most time with?
(a) Jay Cee
5. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
(a) He is insensitive to her feelings about childbirth.
(b) He cheated on her with the waitress from Cape Cod.
(c) He had kept his affair with the waitress a secret from her.
(d) He was no longer a virgin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Buddy and Esther go after the Yale Junior Prom?
2. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
3. What does Esther think may have caused Buddy's TB?
4. What grade does Esther earn in her physics class?
5. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation that leads Esther to leave Lenny's apartment
2. What keeps Esther from drowning herself at the beach?
3. What does Esther do at Deer Island?
4. How does Esther change from the beginning to the end of this chapter?
5. Who are Frankie and Lenny?
6. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy comes to visit her at college?
7. What is Esther's standing joke with her grandfather about caviar?
8. What is Esther's opinion of Betsy?
9. What does Esther decide about her friendship with Doreen the night of their visit to Lenny's apartment? What causes her to make this decision?
10. What happens on the hill behind the chemistry lab at Yale?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)