|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther do while Mr. Manzi is lecturing in chemistry class?
(a) She completes her Shakespeare class assignments.
(b) She writes down the formulas he writes on the board.
(c) She daydreams.
(d) She pretends to be writing down the formulas he writes on the board.
2. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
(b) She takes a cab.
(c) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
(d) Lenny drives her home.
3. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
(b) She is attending New York University.
(c) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
(d) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
4. What does Esther think caused her sickness?
5. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(a) The UN
(b) A racehorse
(d) A fig tree
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esther's first reaction when Buddy proposes to her?
2. What does Esther do as Lenny and Doreen dance?
3. What does Buddy tell Esther she should get used to seeing?
4. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
5. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esther think makes her a neurotic?
2. Describe the events that lead to Esther's food poisoning
3. Describe what runs through Esther's head when she and Constantin are visiting the UN.
4. Describe Jay Cee (from Esther's perspective)
5. Describe the movie that the girls go to see from Esther's point of view
6. Why does Marco give Esther his diamond stick pin?
7. Describe the article that Esther's mother gives her from Reader's Digest ("In Defense of Chastity").
8. How does Buddy tell Esther about losing his virginity?
9. Who are Frankie and Lenny?
10. Describe the birth scene that Esther and Buddy witness from Esther's point of view
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)