|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
(a) She is annoyed by the costumes.
(b) She thinks it is over the top and trite.
(c) She is entranced by the Technicolor technology.
(d) She is drawn in by the romantic plot line.
2. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
(a) He sees them as capturing all the beauty there is in the world.
(b) He likens them to the cadavers he dissects in medical school.
(c) He calls them worthless pieces of junk.
(d) He calls poems pieces of dust.
3. Why won't Buddy allow Esther to ski down the hill again?
(a) He says her leg is broken in two places.
(b) He is concerned she will break her leg.
(c) She does not know how to ski.
(d) He wants to return to the sanatorium.
4. What grade does Esther earn in her physics class?
5. What does Esther think caused her sickness?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has a medical student been assigned to deliver the woman's baby on the day Esther and Buddy visit the hospital?
2. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
3. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
4. What does Constantin say is the most difficult aspect of simultaneous translation?
5. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy comes to visit her at college?
2. How does Esther convince the college to exempt her from the chemistry course requirement?
3. What does Esther think makes her a neurotic?
4. What does Esther decide about her friendship with Doreen the night of their visit to Lenny's apartment? What causes her to make this decision?
5. Why does Mr. Willard leave Esther alone with Buddy at the sanatorium?
6. Describe the Amazon.
7. Describe the sanatorium where Buddy is receiving treatment for TB.
8. Describe Esther and Hilda's conversation at breakfast.
9. Describe the situation that leads Esther to leave Lenny's apartment
10. What news does Mrs. Greenwood deliver to Esther when she picks her up from the train station? How does Esther react?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)