|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
(a) She believes he is about to tell her that Mrs. Willard is pregnant.
(b) She thinks that the Willards want to adopt her.
(c) She knows that Buddy is going to propose marriage to her.
(d) She thinks that Mr. Willard wants to make her feel good about herself.
2. Why does Esther leave the movie premiere?
(a) She does not like the movie.
(b) She is tired and wants to go to sleep.
(c) She wants to see Doreen as soon as she comes back from Coney Island.
(d) She feels nauseous.
3. What sorts of foods does Esther say she likes the best?
(a) Any dish with avocado in it.
(b) French fries, cheeseburgers and frappes from Howard Johnson's.
(c) Rich creamy foods that feature butter and cheese.
(d) Any dish that has caviar in it.
4. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
(a) She has always coveted Betsy's green skirt.
(b) She likes Betsy's clothes better than her own.
(c) She threw all of her clothes of of the roof and has nothing to wear.
(d) She gave all of her clothes to Doreen and has nothing to wear.
5. Who is Philomena Guinea?
(a) The novelist whose scholarship Esther has at college.
(b) The editor of Ladies' Day magazine.
(c) A famous novelist who is having lunch with Jay Cee.
(d) A lady at the Scholarships Office at Esther's college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther decide about her relationship with Constantin during their dinner date?
2. What is Lenny Shepherd famous for?
3. Why does Esther order vodka at the bar?
4. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
5. Why had Esther visited her family doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the hill behind the chemistry lab at Yale?
2. Why is Esther upset when Buddy tells her he is no longer a virgin?
3. How does Buddy react when Esther falls while skiing?
4. Describe what runs through Esther's head when she and Constantin are visiting the UN.
5. According to Esther, what is her mother's opinion of her interest in becoming a writer or editor?
6. Describe the sanatorium where Buddy is receiving treatment for TB.
7. Describe Buddy's first visit to Esther's college
8. Describe Jay Cee (from Esther's perspective)
9. Describe Esther and Hilda's conversation at breakfast.
10. Describe the situation that leads Esther to leave Lenny's apartment
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)