|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Buddy call Esther at college?
(a) He has received a scholarship and is excited.
(b) He wants to ask for her hand in marriage.
(c) He has contracted TB and must immediately leave for treatment.
(d) He is concerned that he has given her TB.
2. How does Esther feel when she hangs up the phone after talking with Buddy?
3. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
(a) She returns home.
(b) She throws all of her clothes off of the roof.
(c) She takes a hot bath to wash away the memory.
(d) She cries hysterically.
4. What does Esther think may have caused Buddy's TB?
(a) His dishonesty
(b) His unwillingness to wear gloves when examining patients
(c) His compromised immune system
(d) His insensitivity to her feelings
5. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
(a) Every third weekend
(b) Every weekend
(c) Once a month
(d) Every other weekend
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther think caused her sickness?
2. How does Doreen avoid getting food poisoning?
3. How does Esther feel as she careens down the ski slope?
4. What does Marco give Esther?
5. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what runs through Esther's head when she and Constantin are visiting the UN.
2. What happens on the hill behind the chemistry lab at Yale?
3. Describe the situation that leads Esther to leave Lenny's apartment
4. Describe the Amazon.
5. Describe the story that Esther reads in the short story book from the Ladies' Day magazine
6. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
7. What does Esther decide about her friendship with Doreen the night of their visit to Lenny's apartment? What causes her to make this decision?
8. Describe the sanatorium where Buddy is receiving treatment for TB.
9. Describe Jay Cee (from Esther's perspective)
10. What is Esther's standing joke with her grandfather about caviar?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)