|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Esther about the English program at her mother's college?
(a) There are more requirements than her own college.
(b) She has already met all of the requirements.
(c) There is no honors program in the English department.
(d) It is surprisingly difficult.
2. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
(a) He has gained weight.
(b) He has lost weight.
(c) He has cut his hair short.
(d) He looks pale and sickly.
3. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(b) A racehorse
(c) A fig tree
(d) The UN
4. What does Mrs. Greenwood convince Esther she should do since she will not be taking the writing course?
(a) Learn a foreign language
(b) Take another course
(c) Learn shorthand
(d) Write a novel
5. Why is Esther afraid of taking chemistry?
(a) She does not like Mr. Manzi's teaching style.
(b) She does not think her brain can handle learning the periodic table.
(c) She cannot stand reducing life to numbers and formulas.
(d) She does not want to take the lab requirement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
2. What does Esther resolve to do during her summer at home?
3. Why is Esther shocked when Buddy tells her he is not a virgin?
4. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
5. What did Esther's doctor prescribe to help her symptoms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Greenwood deliver to Esther when she picks her up from the train station? How does Esther react?
2. What thoughts consume Esther after finding out she must have shock treatments?
3. What is the only item that gives Esther pleasure in the hospital? Why?
4. Describe the circumstances that led to Esther's hospitalization.
5. How does Esther change from the beginning to the end of this chapter?
6. Describe Buddy's letter to Esther (that is waiting for her when she gets home).
7. Why does Marco give Esther his diamond stick pin?
8. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
9. Characterize Esther's behavior in the psychiatric wards of the hospitals
10. Contrast Esther's and Buddy's feelings about his diagnosis
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)