|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
(a) She thinks that Mr. Willard wants to make her feel good about herself.
(b) She thinks that the Willards want to adopt her.
(c) She believes he is about to tell her that Mrs. Willard is pregnant.
(d) She knows that Buddy is going to propose marriage to her.
2. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
(a) His father was a teacher.
(b) He has a keen interest in learning.
(c) He is very knowledgeable about biology.
(d) He is always trying to explain things to Esther.
3. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
(a) There is a fire in Esther's room.
(b) Doreen left a cigarette burning in an ashtray.
(c) Doreen had been smoking before they left and had failed to open the window.
(d) The smoke materialized out of nowhere.
4. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
(a) He has lost weight.
(b) He has cut his hair short.
(c) He has gained weight.
(d) He looks pale and sickly.
5. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She calls her mother for moral support.
(b) She smokes a cigarette.
(c) She has a drink.
(d) She takes a hot bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther hear as she lays in bed on the first morning she is home?
2. What keeps Esther from losing her virginity to Constantin?
3. What does Constantin say is the most difficult aspect of simultaneous translation?
4. What sorts of foods does Esther say she likes the best?
5. Why had Esther visited her family doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Esther's opinion of Betsy?
2. Why is Esther so enamored with the rich foods she is served at the Ladies' Day luncheon?
3. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
4. What activities does Esther consider taking up after finding out she was not accepted into the writing course?
5. Describe the birth scene that Esther and Buddy witness from Esther's point of view
6. What is Esther's standing joke with her grandfather about caviar?
7. Why does Esther decide to take a bath when she returns to her hotel?
8. What happens on the hill behind the chemistry lab at Yale?
9. According to Esther, what is her mother's opinion of her interest in becoming a writer or editor?
10. Why does Marco give Esther his diamond stick pin?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)