|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(b) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
(c) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
(d) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
2. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She smokes a cigarette.
(b) She has a drink.
(c) She takes a hot bath.
(d) She calls her mother for moral support.
3. Where does Doreen put Esther's clothes to help her forget about them?
(a) Under her bed
(b) Over the balcony
(c) In the closet
(d) In her (Doreen's) room
4. Why had Esther visited her family doctor?
(a) She needs a referral for a psychiatrist.
(b) She has developed laryngitis.
(c) She is plagued by anxiety.
(d) She cannot read or sleep.
5. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
(b) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
(c) She is attending New York University.
(d) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
2. Who is Esther "cursed" to have had to eat breakfast with in the hotel cafeteria?
3. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
4. Who is the only man that Esther ever considered losing her virginity to?
5. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Amazon.
2. Describe the movie that the girls go to see from Esther's point of view
3. What happens on the hill behind the chemistry lab at Yale?
4. Why is Esther upset when Buddy tells her he is no longer a virgin?
5. What activities does Esther consider taking up after finding out she was not accepted into the writing course?
6. What is Eric's philosophy on sexual relationships?
7. Who is Mrs. Ockenden?
8. Why does Marco attack Esther?
9. Describe the birth scene that Esther and Buddy witness from Esther's point of view
10. How does Esther change from the beginning to the end of this chapter?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)