|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
(b) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(c) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
(d) She always earns A's in his courses.
2. What does Esther think caused her sickness?
3. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
(a) A book of poetry
(b) An ashtray
(d) A piece of pottery
4. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
(b) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
(c) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
(d) She is attending New York University.
5. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
(a) The bombing of Hiroshima
(b) The assassination of John F. Kennedy
(c) The trial of the Rosenbergs
(d) The execution of the Rosenbergs
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
2. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
3. What disturbs Esther about the drug that the birthing mother is given?
4. What does Lenny's apartment look like to Esther?
5. Why can't Marco marry the woman he is in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that lead to Esther's food poisoning
2. Describe the situation that leads Esther to leave Lenny's apartment
3. Describe the sanatorium where Buddy is receiving treatment for TB.
4. What activities does Esther consider taking up after finding out she was not accepted into the writing course?
5. What leads Esther to be invited for lunch by Philomena Guinea?
6. Who are Frankie and Lenny?
7. Why does Jay Cee want Esther to come into the office instead of attending the fur show?
8. What happens on the hill behind the chemistry lab at Yale?
9. What does Esther think makes her a neurotic?
10. Why does Esther decide to take a bath when she returns to her hotel?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)