|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Nurse Kennedy
(c) Her old college roommate
(d) Her parents
2. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Hang herself
(b) Drown herself
(c) Cut her wrists
(d) Take all of her sleeping pills
3. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(a) Abnormal psychology texts
(b) A book of short stories
(c) James Joyce's novels
4. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To chastise him for injuring her
(b) To demand he pays her medical bills
(c) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(d) To set up another date
5. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
(a) They do not like her stand offish attitude.
(b) They do not like her rearranging their flowers.
(c) She does not deliver the correct bouquets.
(d) She drops the flower vases and spills the water.
6. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
(a) To tell her she is improving
(b) To have a private therapy session
(c) To tell her she will be having a shock treatment
(d) To tell her her mother will be visiting later in the day
7. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She attends her funeral.
(b) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(c) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
(d) She visits her grave site.
8. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
(b) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
(c) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
(d) She begins hemorrhaging.
9. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
(a) She is not responding to the insulin injections.
(b) She has thrown out the roses from her mother.
(c) She is sleeping too much.
(d) She has had a reaction to the insulin injections.
10. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(b) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
(c) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
(d) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
11. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(b) She does not feel well enough to move up.
(c) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(d) She is angry that they are moving her down.
12. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She attacks her mother.
(b) She yells at George Bakewell.
(c) She refuses shock treatment.
(d) She breaks a mirror.
13. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Nolan
(b) Dr. Syphilis
(c) Dr. Gordon
(d) Buddy Willard
14. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) Joan's apartment
(b) The asylum
(c) The hospital
(d) Dr. Nolan's apartment
15. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) His silver pencil
(b) The photograph of his family
(c) The plants
(d) The lighting
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
2. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
3. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
4. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
5. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)