|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
(a) They receive a note the night before.
(b) They are woken up early for treatments.
(c) Their breakfast tray is not delivered.
(d) Their psychiatrists tell them.
2. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) Her mother's
(b) Her uncle's
(c) Buddy Willard's
(d) George Bakewell's
3. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) The lighting
(b) The plants
(c) The photograph of his family
(d) His silver pencil
4. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(c) Dee Dee
5. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A photograph
(b) A blanket
(c) A book
(d) Paper and a pencil
6. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(a) Abnormal psychology texts
(b) A book of short stories
(d) James Joyce's novels
7. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
(a) She has thrown out the roses from her mother.
(b) She is sleeping too much.
(c) She has had a reaction to the insulin injections.
(d) She is not responding to the insulin injections.
8. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She insults the food service person.
(b) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(c) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(d) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
9. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(b) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
(c) She tries to kill her mother in law.
(d) She tries to kill herself.
10. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In her college dorm room
(b) In her basement
(c) In the psychiatric ward
(d) In her bedroom
11. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
12. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(b) visits home
(d) town visits
13. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) It irritates her mother.
(b) It seems silly to her.
(c) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
(d) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
14. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) Few patients have negative side effects.
(b) It will hardly hurt.
(c) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(d) All patients are scared to death the first time.
15. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She does not speak.
(b) She wears a cameo brooch.
(c) She is not friendly to Esther.
(d) She will not leave her room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led Joan to run away from home?
2. What does Joan find in a magazine that shocks Esther?
3. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
4. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
5. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)