|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
(b) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
(c) It irritates her mother.
(d) It seems silly to her.
2. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
(a) She drops the flower vases and spills the water.
(b) They do not like her rearranging their flowers.
(c) They do not like her stand offish attitude.
(d) She does not deliver the correct bouquets.
3. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 14 nights
(b) 30 nights
(c) 7 nights
(d) 3 nights
4. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) Few patients have negative side effects.
(b) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(c) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(d) It will hardly hurt.
5. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
(b) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(c) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(d) He wants to ask her to marry him.
6. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
(a) They have blank looks on their faces.
(b) They all look sick.
(c) They look like they do not belong at the hospital.
(d) They are hardly moving.
7. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) Paper and a pencil
(b) A book
(c) A photograph
(d) A blanket
8. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) George Bakewell's
(b) Her uncle's
(c) Buddy Willard's
(d) Her mother's
9. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She tries to kill herself.
(b) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
(c) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(d) She tries to kill her mother in law.
10. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She attends her funeral.
(b) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(c) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
(d) She visits her grave site.
11. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(c) San Francisco
(d) New York City
12. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
(a) 2 times a week
(b) 3 times a month
(c) Every other week
(d) 3 times a week
13. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
(a) Dr. Nolan tells her.
(b) Joan tells her.
(c) Through a news article Joan shows her.
(d) Through a letter that her mother writes her.
14. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
(a) Their psychiatrists tell them.
(b) They receive a note the night before.
(c) Their breakfast tray is not delivered.
(d) They are woken up early for treatments.
15. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She wears a cameo brooch.
(b) She will not leave her room.
(c) She is not friendly to Esther.
(d) She does not speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
2. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
3. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
4. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
5. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)