|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In the psychiatric ward
(b) In her basement
(c) In her bedroom
(d) In her college dorm room
2. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(b) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(c) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
(d) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
3. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A gynecologist
(b) A orthopedist
(c) A psychiatrist
(d) An obstetrician
4. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) She is angry that they are moving her down.
(b) She does not feel well enough to move up.
(c) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(d) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
5. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
(a) What people will be willing to befriend her after being in an asylum
(b) How she'll be able to maintain her sanity in the
(c) How she will be able to have a literary career when she can't write
(d) What man will marry her after being in an asylum
6. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She liked his parents.
(b) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
(c) She found him attractive.
(d) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
7. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) It irritates her mother.
(b) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
(c) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
(d) It seems silly to her.
8. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(b) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(c) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
(d) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
9. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He asks to speak to her mother.
(b) He diagnoses her as depressed.
(c) He changes the subject.
(d) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
10. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Her breakup with Buddy
(b) An article about Esther
(c) A fight with her parents
(d) Sores on her feet
11. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She has had a lobotomy.
(b) She tried to kill herself.
(c) She had many shock treatments.
(d) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
12. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
(b) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
(c) Her mother comes home and finds her.
(d) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
13. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 21 days
(b) 7 days
(c) 30 days
(d) 14 days
14. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(b) She attends her funeral.
(c) She visits her grave site.
(d) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
15. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
(b) She begins hemorrhaging.
(c) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
(d) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
2. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
3. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
4. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
5. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)