Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(b) Few patients have negative side effects.
(c) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(d) It will hardly hurt.
2. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
3. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Dr. Nolan
(d) Dr. Syphilis
4. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He gave her painful shock treatments.
(b) He failed to cure her depression.
(c) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(d) He had her committed to a public hospital.
5. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) For her birthday
(b) For Valentine's day
(c) To cheer her up
(d) They are a gift from Buddy
6. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) The photograph of his family
(b) The lighting
(c) The plants
(d) His silver pencil
7. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
8. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(b) Dee Dee
9. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(a) James Joyce's novels
(b) A book of short stories
(c) Abnormal psychology texts
10. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(b) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
(c) She tries to kill her mother in law.
(d) She tries to kill herself.
11. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
(b) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(c) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(d) He wants to ask her to marry him.
12. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
(a) Every other week
(b) 3 times a month
(c) 2 times a week
(d) 3 times a week
13. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
(a) A purple dress and cameo brooch
(b) A red wool suit
(c) A black wool suit
(d) A red dress
14. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
(a) To have a private therapy session
(b) To tell her she is improving
(c) To tell her she will be having a shock treatment
(d) To tell her her mother will be visiting later in the day
15. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) She is angry that they are moving her down.
(b) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(c) She does not feel well enough to move up.
(d) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
2. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
3. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
4. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
5. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)