|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
2. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
(a) A black wool suit
(b) A red dress
(c) A purple dress and cameo brooch
(d) A red wool suit
3. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(b) She feels much better after the treatment.
(c) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
(d) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
4. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(a) Commitment to a mental hospital
(b) Shock treatments
(c) Group therapy
5. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In her bedroom
(b) In her college dorm room
(c) In the psychiatric ward
(d) In her basement
6. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
(a) To have a private therapy session
(b) To ask for help finding Joan
(c) To check on her after she hemorrhaged
(d) To reprimand her for going to Irwin's apartment
7. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
(b) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(c) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(d) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
8. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) Dr. Nolan's apartment
(b) Joan's apartment
(c) The hospital
(d) The asylum
9. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 14 days
(b) 21 days
(c) 30 days
(d) 7 days
10. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A book
(b) A blanket
(c) A photograph
(d) Paper and a pencil
11. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Syphilis
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Dr. Nolan
(d) Dr. Gordon
12. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Take all of her sleeping pills
(b) Cut her wrists
(c) Hang herself
(d) Drown herself
13. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(b) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
(c) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
(d) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
14. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She found him attractive.
(b) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
(c) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
(d) She liked his parents.
15. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) It irritates her mother.
(b) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
(c) It seems silly to her.
(d) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
2. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
3. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
4. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
5. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)