|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(d) Dee Dee
2. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
(a) To select a gravesite for her body
(b) To visit her grandparents' graves
(c) To contemplate suicide
(d) To visit her father's grave
3. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To set up another date
(b) To demand he pays her medical bills
(c) To chastise him for injuring her
(d) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
4. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She attacks her mother.
(b) She yells at George Bakewell.
(c) She breaks a mirror.
(d) She refuses shock treatment.
5. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 30 days
(b) 7 days
(c) 21 days
(d) 14 days
6. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(b) A book of short stories
(c) James Joyce's novels
(d) Abnormal psychology texts
7. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
(a) The Amazon hotel
(b) Her college dormitory
(c) Her mother's home
(d) With the Willards
8. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) She does not feel well enough to move up.
(b) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(c) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(d) She is angry that they are moving her down.
9. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 3 nights
(b) 30 nights
(c) 7 nights
(d) 14 nights
10. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(b) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(c) She insults the food service person.
(d) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
11. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She is not friendly to Esther.
(b) She does not speak.
(c) She wears a cameo brooch.
(d) She will not leave her room.
12. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) An article about Esther
(b) Sores on her feet
(c) A fight with her parents
(d) Her breakup with Buddy
13. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A book
(b) Paper and a pencil
(c) A photograph
(d) A blanket
14. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(a) Jay Cee
(b) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
(c) Dr. Gordon
15. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
(b) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
(c) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
(d) She begins hemorrhaging.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
2. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
3. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
4. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
5. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)