|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
(b) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(c) She feels much better after the treatment.
(d) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
2. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(c) Dee Dee
3. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A book
(b) A blanket
(c) Paper and a pencil
(d) A photograph
4. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(b) He failed to cure her depression.
(c) He gave her painful shock treatments.
(d) He had her committed to a public hospital.
5. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
6. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 30 days
(b) 21 days
(c) 14 days
(d) 7 days
7. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
8. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(b) To demand he pays her medical bills
(c) To chastise him for injuring her
(d) To set up another date
9. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(c) Jay Cee
(d) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
10. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She does not speak.
(b) She wears a cameo brooch.
(c) She is not friendly to Esther.
(d) She will not leave her room.
11. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Sores on her feet
(b) An article about Esther
(c) A fight with her parents
(d) Her breakup with Buddy
12. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
(b) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
(c) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(d) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
13. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
(a) A letter from Buddy
(b) A book of poetry
(c) A mirror
(d) A ball of mercury
14. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
(a) With the Willards
(b) The Amazon hotel
(c) Her college dormitory
(d) Her mother's home
15. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) Her mother's
(b) George Bakewell's
(c) Her uncle's
(d) Buddy Willard's
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
2. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
3. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
4. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
5. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)