|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) She begins hemorrhaging.
(b) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
(c) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
(d) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
2. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To set up another date
(b) To demand he pays her medical bills
(c) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(d) To chastise him for injuring her
3. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(a) New York City
(b) San Francisco
4. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
5. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) George Bakewell's
(b) Her uncle's
(c) Her mother's
(d) Buddy Willard's
6. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(a) Admittance to an asylum
(b) Continued weekly appointments with him
(d) Shock treatment
7. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(b) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(c) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
(d) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
8. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(b) Jay Cee
(c) Dr. Gordon
(d) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
9. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
(a) 2 times a week
(b) 3 times a month
(c) Every other week
(d) 3 times a week
10. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
(a) A red dress
(b) A red wool suit
(c) A black wool suit
(d) A purple dress and cameo brooch
11. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
(a) They look like they do not belong at the hospital.
(b) They all look sick.
(c) They have blank looks on their faces.
(d) They are hardly moving.
12. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
13. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Drown herself
(b) Hang herself
(c) Take all of her sleeping pills
(d) Cut her wrists
14. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to ask her to marry him.
(b) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(c) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(d) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
15. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She has had a lobotomy.
(b) She had many shock treatments.
(c) She tried to kill herself.
(d) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
2. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
3. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
4. What led Joan to run away from home?
5. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)