|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
(b) Miss Norris
(d) Dr. Nolan
2. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(a) Dr. Gordon
(c) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
(d) Jay Cee
3. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A photograph
(b) Paper and a pencil
(c) A blanket
(d) A book
4. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(b) Few patients have negative side effects.
(c) It will hardly hurt.
(d) All patients are scared to death the first time.
5. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
6. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
(a) Joan tells her.
(b) Through a news article Joan shows her.
(c) Dr. Nolan tells her.
(d) Through a letter that her mother writes her.
7. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To demand he pays her medical bills
(b) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(c) To chastise him for injuring her
(d) To set up another date
8. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(c) Dee Dee
9. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Take all of her sleeping pills
(b) Cut her wrists
(c) Drown herself
(d) Hang herself
10. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She found him attractive.
(b) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
(c) She liked his parents.
(d) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
11. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(b) New York City
(c) San Francisco
12. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(b) He asks to speak to her mother.
(c) He changes the subject.
(d) He diagnoses her as depressed.
13. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
(a) A mirror
(b) A ball of mercury
(c) A letter from Buddy
(d) A book of poetry
14. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) The plants
(b) The photograph of his family
(c) His silver pencil
(d) The lighting
15. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
2. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
3. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
4. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
5. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)