|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She feels much better after the treatment.
(b) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(c) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
(d) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
2. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
(a) She drops the flower vases and spills the water.
(b) They do not like her stand offish attitude.
(c) She does not deliver the correct bouquets.
(d) They do not like her rearranging their flowers.
3. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(b) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
(c) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(d) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
4. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(a) visits home
(c) town visits
5. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She breaks a mirror.
(b) She yells at George Bakewell.
(c) She attacks her mother.
(d) She refuses shock treatment.
6. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
(b) She found him attractive.
(c) She liked his parents.
(d) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
7. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She tries to kill herself.
(b) She tries to kill her mother in law.
(c) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(d) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
8. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She does not speak.
(b) She wears a cameo brooch.
(c) She will not leave her room.
(d) She is not friendly to Esther.
9. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(b) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
(c) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(d) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
10. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) A book
(b) Paper and a pencil
(c) A blanket
(d) A photograph
11. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She tried to kill herself.
(b) She has had a lobotomy.
(c) She had many shock treatments.
(d) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
12. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(b) He wants to ask her to marry him.
(c) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(d) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
13. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(b) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(c) Few patients have negative side effects.
(d) It will hardly hurt.
14. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(a) Abnormal psychology texts
(b) A book of short stories
(d) James Joyce's novels
15. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 14 nights
(b) 30 nights
(c) 3 nights
(d) 7 nights
Short Answer Questions
1. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
2. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
3. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
4. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
5. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)