|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Buddy Willard
(b) Dr. Syphilis
(c) Dr. Nolan
(d) Dr. Gordon
2. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 14 nights
(b) 3 nights
(c) 30 nights
(d) 7 nights
3. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(b) She is angry that they are moving her down.
(c) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(d) She does not feel well enough to move up.
4. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
(a) 3 times a month
(b) 2 times a week
(c) 3 times a week
(d) Every other week
5. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She had many shock treatments.
(b) She tried to kill herself.
(c) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
(d) She has had a lobotomy.
6. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(b) Few patients have negative side effects.
(c) It will hardly hurt.
(d) All patients are scared to death the first time.
7. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
(a) A purple dress and cameo brooch
(b) A red wool suit
(c) A black wool suit
(d) A red dress
8. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
(a) How she'll be able to maintain her sanity in the
(b) What people will be willing to befriend her after being in an asylum
(c) What man will marry her after being in an asylum
(d) How she will be able to have a literary career when she can't write
9. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) The photograph of his family
(b) The plants
(c) His silver pencil
(d) The lighting
10. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(b) She visits her grave site.
(c) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
(d) She attends her funeral.
11. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He diagnoses her as depressed.
(b) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(c) He changes the subject.
(d) He asks to speak to her mother.
12. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) For her birthday
(b) They are a gift from Buddy
(c) For Valentine's day
(d) To cheer her up
13. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(a) Group therapy
(b) Commitment to a mental hospital
(c) Shock treatments
14. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(b) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(c) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
(d) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
15. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
(b) Her mother comes home and finds her.
(c) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
(d) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
2. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
3. What led Joan to run away from home?
4. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
5. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)