|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
(a) To ask for help finding Joan
(b) To have a private therapy session
(c) To reprimand her for going to Irwin's apartment
(d) To check on her after she hemorrhaged
2. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
(a) To have a private therapy session
(b) To tell her she is improving
(c) To tell her she will be having a shock treatment
(d) To tell her her mother will be visiting later in the day
3. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) It seems silly to her.
(b) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
(c) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
(d) It irritates her mother.
4. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) For her birthday
(b) They are a gift from Buddy
(c) To cheer her up
(d) For Valentine's day
5. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
(b) Her mother comes home and finds her.
(c) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
(d) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
6. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(b) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(c) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(d) She insults the food service person.
7. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
(b) She feels much better after the treatment.
(c) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(d) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
8. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(b) San Francisco
(c) New York City
9. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(b) She does not feel well enough to move up.
(c) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(d) She is angry that they are moving her down.
10. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A gynecologist
(b) A orthopedist
(c) A psychiatrist
(d) An obstetrician
11. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In her basement
(b) In her college dorm room
(c) In the psychiatric ward
(d) In her bedroom
12. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He gave her painful shock treatments.
(b) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(c) He had her committed to a public hospital.
(d) He failed to cure her depression.
13. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Her breakup with Buddy
(b) A fight with her parents
(c) Sores on her feet
(d) An article about Esther
14. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
15. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Drown herself
(b) Cut her wrists
(c) Hang herself
(d) Take all of her sleeping pills
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
2. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
3. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
4. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
5. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)