|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(a) Dee Dee
2. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
(b) She feels much better after the treatment.
(c) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
(d) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
3. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He diagnoses her as depressed.
(b) He asks to speak to her mother.
(c) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(d) He changes the subject.
4. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 14 nights
(b) 3 nights
(c) 30 nights
(d) 7 nights
5. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
(b) She attends her funeral.
(c) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(d) She visits her grave site.
6. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She yells at George Bakewell.
(b) She refuses shock treatment.
(c) She attacks her mother.
(d) She breaks a mirror.
7. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
8. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) Dr. Nolan's apartment
(b) The asylum
(c) Joan's apartment
(d) The hospital
9. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(a) Shock treatment
(b) Continued weekly appointments with him
(d) Admittance to an asylum
10. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
(a) They do not like her stand offish attitude.
(b) She drops the flower vases and spills the water.
(c) She does not deliver the correct bouquets.
(d) They do not like her rearranging their flowers.
11. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In the psychiatric ward
(b) In her bedroom
(c) In her basement
(d) In her college dorm room
12. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 30 days
(b) 21 days
(c) 14 days
(d) 7 days
13. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
(b) She found him attractive.
(c) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
(d) She liked his parents.
14. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
(a) Jay Cee
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Philomena Guinea
(d) Her mother
15. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(b) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
(c) She tries to kill her mother in law.
(d) She tries to kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jody set Esther up on a blind date with?
2. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
3. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
4. According to Dr. Nolan, how often will Esther need to have shock treatments?
5. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)