|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(b) San Francisco
(d) New York City
2. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) Buddy Willard's
(b) Her uncle's
(c) Her mother's
(d) George Bakewell's
3. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) Paper and a pencil
(b) A book
(c) A photograph
(d) A blanket
4. What does Joan find in a magazine that shocks Esther?
(a) An article about her disappearance
(b) An article that Esther wrote
(c) A photo of her time in NYC
(d) A photo of Buddy and his new girlfriend
5. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She will not leave her room.
(b) She does not speak.
(c) She is not friendly to Esther.
(d) She wears a cameo brooch.
6. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
(a) A ball of mercury
(b) A mirror
(c) A letter from Buddy
(d) A book of poetry
7. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 14 days
(b) 21 days
(c) 7 days
(d) 30 days
8. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(a) Shock treatments
(c) Commitment to a mental hospital
(d) Group therapy
9. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(b) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(c) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(d) She insults the food service person.
10. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Buddy Willard
(b) Dr. Syphilis
(c) Dr. Nolan
(d) Dr. Gordon
11. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(b) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(c) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
(d) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
12. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(a) visits home
(b) town visits
13. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(a) Admittance to an asylum
(b) Shock treatment
(c) Continued weekly appointments with him
14. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) His silver pencil
(b) The plants
(c) The lighting
(d) The photograph of his family
15. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
(b) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
(c) It seems silly to her.
(d) It irritates her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
2. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
3. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
4. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
5. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)