|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) The asylum
(b) The hospital
(c) Joan's apartment
(d) Dr. Nolan's apartment
2. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
(b) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
(c) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
(d) Her mother comes home and finds her.
3. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
(b) She has had a lobotomy.
(c) She had many shock treatments.
(d) She tried to kill herself.
4. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(b) Shock treatments
(c) Group therapy
(d) Commitment to a mental hospital
5. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
(a) A black wool suit
(b) A red wool suit
(c) A purple dress and cameo brooch
(d) A red dress
6. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Buddy Willard
(b) Dr. Syphilis
(c) Dr. Nolan
(d) Dr. Gordon
7. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(b) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(c) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
(d) He wants to ask her to marry him.
8. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
9. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
10. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
(b) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
(c) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
(d) She begins hemorrhaging.
11. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In her bedroom
(b) In her college dorm room
(c) In the psychiatric ward
(d) In her basement
12. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(b) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(c) She does not feel well enough to move up.
(d) She is angry that they are moving her down.
13. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) A fight with her parents
(b) An article about Esther
(c) Her breakup with Buddy
(d) Sores on her feet
14. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) Few patients have negative side effects.
(b) It will hardly hurt.
(c) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(d) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
15. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(a) New York City
(d) San Francisco
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
2. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
3. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
4. What does Joan find in a magazine that shocks Esther?
5. Why does Dr. Nolan arrive early at Esther's room one day?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)