|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
(b) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
(c) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(d) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
2. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In her college dorm room
(b) In her bedroom
(c) In her basement
(d) In the psychiatric ward
3. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She insults the food service person.
(b) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(c) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(d) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
4. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
5. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
(a) To have a private therapy session
(b) To ask for help finding Joan
(c) To reprimand her for going to Irwin's apartment
(d) To check on her after she hemorrhaged
6. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She had many shock treatments.
(b) She has had a lobotomy.
(c) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
(d) She tried to kill herself.
7. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
(a) What people will be willing to befriend her after being in an asylum
(b) How she will be able to have a literary career when she can't write
(c) How she'll be able to maintain her sanity in the
(d) What man will marry her after being in an asylum
8. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
(a) To select a gravesite for her body
(b) To contemplate suicide
(c) To visit her father's grave
(d) To visit her grandparents' graves
9. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(b) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
(c) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
(d) She feels much better after the treatment.
10. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Nurse Kennedy
(b) Her parents
(d) Her old college roommate
11. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
(a) Paper and a pencil
(b) A blanket
(c) A photograph
(d) A book
12. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
(b) Miss Norris
(d) Dr. Nolan
13. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(a) town visits
(c) visits home
14. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
15. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(b) She is angry that they are moving her down.
(c) She does not feel well enough to move up.
(d) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
2. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
3. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
4. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
5. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)