|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(b) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
(c) Jay Cee
(d) Dr. Gordon
2. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Sores on her feet
(b) An article about Esther
(c) A fight with her parents
(d) Her breakup with Buddy
3. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
4. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In her bedroom
(b) In the psychiatric ward
(c) In her basement
(d) In her college dorm room
5. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(b) He had her committed to a public hospital.
(c) He failed to cure her depression.
(d) He gave her painful shock treatments.
6. How does Esther learn of the circumstances that led to her rescue from the basement?
(a) Dr. Nolan tells her.
(b) Through a letter that her mother writes her.
(c) Joan tells her.
(d) Through a news article Joan shows her.
7. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
(a) She does not deliver the correct bouquets.
(b) They do not like her stand offish attitude.
(c) They do not like her rearranging their flowers.
(d) She drops the flower vases and spills the water.
8. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(b) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(c) He wants to ask her to marry him.
(d) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
9. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
(b) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(c) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(d) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
10. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She complains about the food that is served that day.
(b) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(c) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(d) She insults the food service person.
11. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Nurse Kennedy
(b) Her old college roommate
(d) Her parents
12. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 14 nights
(b) 30 nights
(c) 7 nights
(d) 3 nights
13. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(b) Few patients have negative side effects.
(c) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(d) It will hardly hurt.
14. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To set up another date
(b) To chastise him for injuring her
(c) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(d) To demand he pays her medical bills
15. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Nolan
(b) Dr. Syphilis
(c) Buddy Willard
(d) Dr. Gordon
Short Answer Questions
1. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
2. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
3. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
4. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
5. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)