|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
(b) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
(c) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
(d) Her mother comes home and finds her.
2. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To chastise him for injuring her
(b) To demand he pays her medical bills
(c) To set up another date
(d) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
3. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
(a) They are hardly moving.
(b) They have blank looks on their faces.
(c) They look like they do not belong at the hospital.
(d) They all look sick.
4. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(a) Group therapy
(b) Commitment to a mental hospital
(d) Shock treatments
5. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Buddy Willard
(b) Dr. Nolan
(c) Dr. Gordon
(d) Dr. Syphilis
6. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
(a) She drops the flower vases and spills the water.
(b) They do not like her stand offish attitude.
(c) They do not like her rearranging their flowers.
(d) She does not deliver the correct bouquets.
7. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Cut her wrists
(b) Hang herself
(c) Drown herself
(d) Take all of her sleeping pills
8. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Her parents
(c) Her old college roommate
(d) Nurse Kennedy
9. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
(a) To select a gravesite for her body
(b) To contemplate suicide
(c) To visit her grandparents' graves
(d) To visit her father's grave
10. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
(a) With the Willards
(b) Her college dormitory
(c) The Amazon hotel
(d) Her mother's home
11. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
(a) She breaks a mirror.
(b) She attacks her mother.
(c) She yells at George Bakewell.
(d) She refuses shock treatment.
12. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) An article about Esther
(b) Sores on her feet
(c) A fight with her parents
(d) Her breakup with Buddy
13. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
(a) A black wool suit
(b) A purple dress and cameo brooch
(c) A red dress
(d) A red wool suit
14. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) Her mother's
(b) George Bakewell's
(c) Buddy Willard's
(d) Her uncle's
15. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) They are a gift from Buddy
(b) To cheer her up
(c) For Valentine's day
(d) For her birthday
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
2. What does Esther always have with her as she walks around Belsize?
3. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
4. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
5. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)