|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joan say she dated Buddy?
(a) She wanted to hide her homosexuality.
(b) She hoped to marry a doctor someday.
(c) She liked his parents.
(d) She found him attractive.
2. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(b) visits home
(c) town visits
3. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(b) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
(c) She tries to kill her mother in law.
(d) She tries to kill herself.
4. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Cut her wrists
(b) Take all of her sleeping pills
(c) Hang herself
(d) Drown herself
5. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 7 days
(b) 30 days
(c) 14 days
(d) 21 days
6. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
(b) Dr. Nolan
(d) Miss Norris
7. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
(a) The Amazon hotel
(b) With the Willards
(c) Her mother's home
(d) Her college dormitory
8. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
(b) She begins hemorrhaging.
(c) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
(d) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
9. Whose visit to her hospital room angers Esther?
(a) Her mother's
(b) Buddy Willard's
(c) Her uncle's
(d) George Bakewell's
10. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
(a) They receive a note the night before.
(b) Their psychiatrists tell them.
(c) Their breakfast tray is not delivered.
(d) They are woken up early for treatments.
11. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) They are a gift from Buddy
(b) For her birthday
(c) To cheer her up
(d) For Valentine's day
12. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Her breakup with Buddy
(b) Sores on her feet
(c) A fight with her parents
(d) An article about Esther
13. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
14. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
(a) Her mother
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Jay Cee
(d) Philomena Guinea
15. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(d) Dee Dee
Short Answer Questions
1. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
2. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
3. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
4. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
5. Why does Esther visit the cemetery?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)