|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Esther wash her clothes or bathe?
(a) She is too tired because she has not slept in days.
(b) It irritates her mother.
(c) It seems silly to her.
(d) She wants to preserve the memory of her time in NYC.
2. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(a) Dee Dee
3. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(a) town visits
(d) visits home
4. What trait does Dr. Nolan say women find attractive in each other?
5. Who does Esther meet at the Widener Library?
6. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(b) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
(c) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(d) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
7. What treasure does Esther take with her to solitary confinement?
(a) A mirror
(b) A ball of mercury
(c) A letter from Buddy
(d) A book of poetry
8. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She insults the food service person.
(b) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(c) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(d) She complains about the food that is served that day.
9. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) An article about Esther
(b) A fight with her parents
(c) Her breakup with Buddy
(d) Sores on her feet
10. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(c) He asks to speak to her mother.
(d) He diagnoses her as depressed.
11. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She had many shock treatments.
(b) She tried to kill herself.
(c) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
(d) She has had a lobotomy.
12. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A orthopedist
(b) A gynecologist
(c) An obstetrician
(d) A psychiatrist
13. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Syphilis
(b) Dr. Nolan
(c) Buddy Willard
(d) Dr. Gordon
14. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She writes a poem memorializing her.
(b) She attends her funeral.
(c) She visits her grave site.
(d) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
15. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
(a) With the Willards
(b) Her mother's home
(c) Her college dormitory
(d) The Amazon hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
2. What does Esther do that gets her transferred to another hospital?
3. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
4. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
5. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)