|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joan having an affair with at the asylum?
(a) Dee Dee
2. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
(a) Buddy Willard
(b) Philomena Guinea
(c) Jay Cee
(d) Her mother
3. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
(a) To see if they looked enough alike to kill herself.
(b) To see if they wore their hair the same way.
(c) To see if they might be long lost sisters.
(d) To see if they look enough alike for Esther to fake her death.
4. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(b) To chastise him for injuring her
(c) To demand he pays her medical bills
(d) To set up another date
5. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He diagnoses her as depressed.
(b) He changes the subject.
(c) He asks to speak to her mother.
(d) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
6. How does Esther ultimately decide she will do to commit suicide?
(a) Cut her wrists
(b) Drown herself
(c) Hang herself
(d) Take all of her sleeping pills
7. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
(a) Dr. Nolan is concerned for Esther's safety.
(b) Dr. Nolan does not like Esther's mother.
(c) She believes the visitors set back Esther's progress.
(d) Esther's mother requested that no one be able to see her.
8. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She feels much better after the treatment.
(b) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
(c) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
(d) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
9. What does Joan find in a magazine that shocks Esther?
(a) A photo of Buddy and his new girlfriend
(b) A photo of her time in NYC
(c) An article that Esther wrote
(d) An article about her disappearance
10. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) Sores on her feet
(b) A fight with her parents
(c) Her breakup with Buddy
(d) An article about Esther
11. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
(a) She has had a reaction to the insulin injections.
(b) She is not responding to the insulin injections.
(c) She is sleeping too much.
(d) She has thrown out the roses from her mother.
12. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She attends her funeral.
(b) She visits her grave site.
(c) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
(d) She writes a poem memorializing her.
13. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(a) Group therapy
(b) Commitment to a mental hospital
(c) Shock treatments
14. Who is Esther's next door neighbor in the hospital once her room is moved "up front"?
(a) Dr. Nolan
(c) Miss Norris
15. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Her old college roommate
(c) Her parents
(d) Nurse Kennedy
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
2. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
3. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
4. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
5. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)