|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(b) Continued weekly appointments with him
(c) Shock treatment
(d) Admittance to an asylum
2. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She tried to kill herself.
(b) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
(c) She has had a lobotomy.
(d) She had many shock treatments.
3. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A gynecologist
(b) A orthopedist
(c) A psychiatrist
(d) An obstetrician
4. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
(a) New York City
(d) San Francisco
5. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(a) Shock treatments
(b) Group therapy
(c) Commitment to a mental hospital
6. Where does Esther have Irwin drive her to?
(a) The hospital
(b) Dr. Nolan's apartment
(c) Joan's apartment
(d) The asylum
7. What field does Joan tell Esther she plans on studying when she returns to college?
8. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
(a) 3 nights
(b) 14 nights
(c) 7 nights
(d) 30 nights
9. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(b) town visits
(c) visits home
10. What does Mrs. Bannister discover about Esther one evening?
(a) She is sleeping too much.
(b) She has had a reaction to the insulin injections.
(c) She is not responding to the insulin injections.
(d) She has thrown out the roses from her mother.
11. Why is Esther surprised when the nurse tells her she is moving to Belsize?
(a) She never thought she'd make it to Belsize.
(b) Dr. Nolan had told her it would be some time before she was moved up.
(c) She is angry that they are moving her down.
(d) She does not feel well enough to move up.
12. Who do Esther and Joan both get letters from?
(a) Mr. & Mrs. Willard
(b) Jay Cee
(d) Dr. Gordon
13. What does the nurse tell Esther to help her feel more relaxed during her first shock treatment?
(a) All patients are scared to death the first time.
(b) She will feel like she has gone to sleep.
(c) Few patients have negative side effects.
(d) It will hardly hurt.
14. What complaint do all of the patients at the hospital have of Esther's volunteer work?
(a) They do not like her rearranging their flowers.
(b) She does not deliver the correct bouquets.
(c) She drops the flower vases and spills the water.
(d) They do not like her stand offish attitude.
15. Other than tabloid magazines, what type of books is Esther able to read?
(a) Abnormal psychology texts
(b) A book of short stories
(c) James Joyce's novels
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
2. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
3. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
4. Why does Esther compare her photo with that of a dead girl published in the paper?
5. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)