|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Esther after having sex with Irwin?
(a) She begins feeling like a grown woman.
(b) He treats her poorly and she leaves his apartment angry.
(c) She begins hemorrhaging.
(d) She regrets having lost her virginity to him.
2. Which of the following is NOT a privilege given to residents of Belsize?
(a) town visits
(b) visits home
3. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) She tries to kill herself.
(b) She tries to kill her mother in law.
(c) She giggles uncontrollably all of the time.
(d) She sticks her tongue out at her mother-in-law.
4. Why does Dr. Quinn visit Esther late one night?
(a) To ask for help finding Joan
(b) To have a private therapy session
(c) To reprimand her for going to Irwin's apartment
(d) To check on her after she hemorrhaged
5. How do the women in Belsize know they will be having shock treatments?
(a) They receive a note the night before.
(b) Their psychiatrists tell them.
(c) Their breakfast tray is not delivered.
(d) They are woken up early for treatments.
6. What led Joan to run away from home?
(a) A fight with her parents
(b) An article about Esther
(c) Her breakup with Buddy
(d) Sores on her feet
7. Why does Valerie have scars on her head?
(a) She had many shock treatments.
(b) She has had a lobotomy.
(c) She tried to kill herself.
(d) She was in an accident and had a head injury.
8. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(b) Shock treatment
(c) Continued weekly appointments with him
(d) Admittance to an asylum
9. What infuriates Esther in Dr. Gordon's office?
(a) The photograph of his family
(b) The plants
(c) The lighting
(d) His silver pencil
10. What course of treatment does Joan's first psychiatrist recommend for her?
(b) Shock treatments
(c) Group therapy
(d) Commitment to a mental hospital
11. Where will Esther live after leaving the asylum?
(a) Her college dormitory
(b) The Amazon hotel
(c) With the Willards
(d) Her mother's home
12. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
(a) He gave her painful shock treatments.
(b) He failed to cure her depression.
(c) She didn't feel like he listened to her during their sessions.
(d) He had her committed to a public hospital.
13. What sort of doctor does Dr. Nolan refer Esther to?
(a) A gynecologist
(b) A orthopedist
(c) A psychiatrist
(d) An obstetrician
14. Why does Buddy Willard visit Esther in the asylum?
(a) He wants to make sure that Esther is well enough to return to college.
(b) He wants to know the details of Joan's death.
(c) He wants to ask her to marry him.
(d) He wants to know if he drove she and Joan to insanity.
15. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
(a) Philomena Guinea
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Jay Cee
(d) Her mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Esther tell the sailor she is is from?
2. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
3. How does the shock treatment make Esther feel?
4. Why does Dr. Nolan restrict Esther's visitors?
5. How long has it been since Esther has slept when she first visits Dr. Gordon?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)