|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treatment does Dr. Gordon suggest for Esther?
(b) Admittance to an asylum
(c) Continued weekly appointments with him
(d) Shock treatment
2. What does Esther do to pay tribute to Joan?
(a) She visits her grave site.
(b) She attends her funeral.
(c) She gives the eulogy at her funeral.
(d) She writes a poem memorializing her.
3. Who is Esther's doctor at the private hospital?
(a) Dr. Nolan
(b) Buddy Willard
(c) Dr. Syphilis
(d) Dr. Gordon
4. How long has it been since Esther has slept?
(a) 21 days
(b) 7 days
(c) 30 days
(d) 14 days
5. Who is Joan planning on living with when she leaves the asylum?
(a) Nurse Kennedy
(b) Her old college roommate
(c) Her parents
6. How does Dr. Gordon respond to Esther's torn letter to Doreen?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He is sympathetic to her concerns about not being able to write.
(c) He asks to speak to her mother.
(d) He diagnoses her as depressed.
7. What keeps Esther from committing suicide with the cord from her mother's robe?
(a) The cord breaks as she is tying it in a noose.
(b) She decides it is much nobler to die by cutting her wrists.
(c) Her hands release the cord before she loses consciousness.
(d) Her mother comes home and finds her.
8. What does Mrs. Mole do that makes the nurses put her in her room for dinner?
(a) She insults the food service person.
(b) She dumps all of the green beans on her plate.
(c) She slaps her thighs and yells at the doctors.
(d) She complains about the food that is served that day.
9. What does Esther tell her mother after the treatment that makes her feel relieved?
(a) She will not go back to Dr. Gordon again.
(b) She feels much better after the treatment.
(c) She has decided to not be depressed anymore.
(d) Dr. Gordon says she is cured.
10. What is unusual about Miss Norris?
(a) She wears a cameo brooch.
(b) She does not speak.
(c) She will not leave her room.
(d) She is not friendly to Esther.
11. What concern about her future does Buddy express to Esther?
(a) What people will be willing to befriend her after being in an asylum
(b) How she will be able to have a literary career when she can't write
(c) What man will marry her after being in an asylum
(d) How she'll be able to maintain her sanity in the
12. Why does Esther contact Irwin?
(a) To tell him she is leaving the asylum
(b) To set up another date
(c) To demand he pays her medical bills
(d) To chastise him for injuring her
13. Who does Jody set Esther up on a blind date with?
(b) Dr. Gordon
14. Where does Esther wake up at the start of this chapter?
(a) In the psychiatric ward
(b) In her college dorm room
(c) In her bedroom
(d) In her basement
15. Why does Esther's mother bring her roses?
(a) To cheer her up
(b) They are a gift from Buddy
(c) For Valentine's day
(d) For her birthday
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tomollilo do that gets her placed in the psychiatric ward?
2. What does Esther notice about the people outside of the hospital?
3. Why does Esther dislike Dr. Gordon?
4. Who "rescues" Esther from the public hospital?
5. What does Esther wear to her exit hearing at the asylum?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)