|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jody call Esther?
(a) To see when she will arrive at college for the summer
(b) To ask about her magazine internship
(c) To see if she still needs a room in her house
(d) To inquire about Buddy
2. How does Esther feel when she hangs up the phone after talking with Buddy?
3. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
(a) To help her sleep
(b) To fill in a gap in her coursework
(c) To get ahead the following semester
(d) To begin writing her thesis
4. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A stylish fan.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A diamond pin
5. What does Esther do to prevent Marco from raping her?
(a) She punches him in the stomach.
(b) She calls for Doreen.
(c) She stabs him with his diamond pin.
(d) She punches him in the nose.
6. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(b) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
(c) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(d) She is about to begin crying.
7. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
(a) Leather chairs
(d) A fountain
8. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
(a) He cheated on her with the waitress from Cape Cod.
(b) He is insensitive to her feelings about childbirth.
(c) He was no longer a virgin.
(d) He had kept his affair with the waitress a secret from her.
9. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
10. Who is Philomena Guinea?
(a) The editor of Ladies' Day magazine.
(b) The novelist whose scholarship Esther has at college.
(c) A lady at the Scholarships Office at Esther's college.
(d) A famous novelist who is having lunch with Jay Cee.
11. How many children does Dodo Conway have?
12. Which of the girls at the Amazon does Esther spend the most time with?
(c) Jay Cee
13. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(b) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
(c) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(d) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
14. Why had Esther visited her family doctor?
(a) She cannot read or sleep.
(b) She is plagued by anxiety.
(c) She has developed laryngitis.
(d) She needs a referral for a psychiatrist.
15. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
2. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
3. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
4. How does Ladies' Day determine what causes the girls' sickness?
5. How does Esther feel about the cadavers that Buddy shows her?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)