|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had Esther visited her family doctor?
(a) She is plagued by anxiety.
(b) She needs a referral for a psychiatrist.
(c) She cannot read or sleep.
(d) She has developed laryngitis.
2. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(b) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(c) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
(d) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
3. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
(b) Books of short stories
(d) Copies of the magazine
4. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
(a) He tells Buddy that he and Esther kissed.
(b) He graduates from college.
(c) He writes her a letter proposing marriage.
(d) He writes her a letter saying he could fall in love with her.
5. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She is about to begin crying.
(b) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(c) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(d) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
6. Why does Esther like Doreen?
(a) She is witty and sarcastic.
(b) She is fashion conscious.
(c) She is wealthy.
(d) She provides a smoking partner for Esther.
7. Why is Esther shocked when Buddy tells her he is not a virgin?
(a) She wanted for them both to lose their virginity together.
(b) She believed that he was opposed to pre-marital sex.
(c) She plans to marry him and wanted him to be a virgin.
(d) She believed she was more sexually experienced than he was.
8. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
(a) Double major in French and English in college
(b) Learn several languages
(c) Write non-traditional articles
(d) Create a compelling resume
9. What does Esther do to prevent Marco from raping her?
(a) She stabs him with his diamond pin.
(b) She punches him in the nose.
(c) She punches him in the stomach.
(d) She calls for Doreen.
10. What does Buddy tell Esther she will want to abandon once she has children?
(c) Her career
11. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
(a) The bombing of Hiroshima
(b) The trial of the Rosenbergs
(c) The execution of the Rosenbergs
(d) The assassination of John F. Kennedy
12. What does Constantin ask Esther to do when they go to his apartment?
(a) Have a drink with him
(b) Listen to records
(c) Begin dating
(d) Have sex with him
13. Which of the girls at the Amazon does Esther spend the most time with?
(c) Jay Cee
14. What does Buddy take Esther to do while she is visiting him at the sanatorium?
(a) Go for a drive through the mountains
(d) Buy an engagement ring
15. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
2. What does Constantin say is the most difficult aspect of simultaneous translation?
3. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
4. What does Esther think may have caused Buddy's TB?
5. With whom does Esther ride back to the Amazon after leaving the movie premiere?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)