|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
2. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
(a) She knows that Buddy is going to propose marriage to her.
(b) She thinks that the Willards want to adopt her.
(c) She thinks that Mr. Willard wants to make her feel good about herself.
(d) She believes he is about to tell her that Mrs. Willard is pregnant.
3. Why does Esther order vodka at the bar?
(a) She saw it in an ad and was attracted to its purity.
(b) She thinks it will convince Lenny and Frankie that she is older than she is.
(c) It is her favorite drink.
(d) She wants to get drunk as quickly as possible.
4. For Esther the world is divided along the lines of---
(c) political beliefs
5. What does Marco remind Esther of?
(a) A tango dancer
(b) A snake in the zoo
(c) A diamond
(d) A movie star
6. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(a) Her mother
(b) Jay Cee
7. Why does Esther like Doreen?
(a) She is wealthy.
(b) She is fashion conscious.
(c) She provides a smoking partner for Esther.
(d) She is witty and sarcastic.
8. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
(a) Copies of the magazine
(d) Books of short stories
9. Why is Esther shocked when Buddy tells her he is not a virgin?
(a) She believed that he was opposed to pre-marital sex.
(b) She plans to marry him and wanted him to be a virgin.
(c) She believed she was more sexually experienced than he was.
(d) She wanted for them both to lose their virginity together.
10. Which of the girls at the Amazon does Esther spend the most time with?
(c) Jay Cee
11. Where do Buddy and Esther go after the Yale Junior Prom?
(a) To a bar
(b) To a hill behind the chemistry lab
(c) Back to Esther's college
(d) To Buddy's fraternity house
12. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(b) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
(c) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
(d) She refuses to smile or move her face.
13. What does Constantin ask Esther to do when they go to his apartment?
(a) Listen to records
(b) Begin dating
(c) Have sex with him
(d) Have a drink with him
14. Who has Mrs. Willard promised to introduce Esther to in New York City?
(a) A simultaneous interpreter at the UN
(b) An ambassador at the UN
(c) Her son, Buddy
(d) The editor of a major literary magazine
15. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
(a) Learn several languages
(b) Write non-traditional articles
(c) Create a compelling resume
(d) Double major in French and English in college
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esther's doctor prescribe to help her symptoms?
2. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
3. What grade does Esther earn in her physics class?
4. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
5. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)