|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Esther from losing her virginity to Constantin?
(a) Constantin refuses to have sex with her.
(b) They fall asleep.
(c) She receives a phone call and must leave his apartment.
(d) She decides that she would rather wait until she is married.
2. Why won't Buddy allow Esther to ski down the hill again?
(a) He says her leg is broken in two places.
(b) He is concerned she will break her leg.
(c) She does not know how to ski.
(d) He wants to return to the sanatorium.
3. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
(a) He tells Buddy that he and Esther kissed.
(b) He writes her a letter saying he could fall in love with her.
(c) He writes her a letter proposing marriage.
(d) He graduates from college.
4. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
(a) She takes a hot bath to wash away the memory.
(b) She cries hysterically.
(c) She throws all of her clothes off of the roof.
(d) She returns home.
5. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(b) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(c) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
(d) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
6. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
(b) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(c) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(d) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
7. What course does Esther convince her college dean to exempt her from taking?
8. What nickname does Doreen give Betsy?
(a) Pollyanna Cowgirl
(b) Kansas Cowgirl
(c) Sweetheart of Sigma Chi
(d) Ugly as Sin
9. What does Jay Cee give Esther as she leaves for her lunch date with the two authors?
(a) A sealed envelope.
(b) A stack of manuscripts.
(c) A new dress.
(d) Some medication.
10. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
(a) There is a fire in Esther's room.
(b) The smoke materialized out of nowhere.
(c) Doreen left a cigarette burning in an ashtray.
(d) Doreen had been smoking before they left and had failed to open the window.
11. What does Esther tell Frankie her name is?
(a) Elly Greenwood
(b) Elly Higginbottom
(c) Esther Greenwood
12. Why does Doreen vomit on the carpet of the hotel hallway?
(a) She has food poisoning.
(b) She has the flu.
(c) She is upset that Lenny dumped her.
(d) She is drunk.
13. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) Lenny drives her home.
(b) She takes a cab.
(c) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
(d) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
14. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(b) She is about to begin crying.
(c) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
(d) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
15. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(c) Her mother
(d) Jay Cee
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
2. What does Esther think caused her sickness?
3. What does Esther do while Mr. Manzi is lecturing in chemistry class?
4. What disturbs Esther about the drug that the birthing mother is given?
5. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)