|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
(a) He had kept his affair with the waitress a secret from her.
(b) He is insensitive to her feelings about childbirth.
(c) He was no longer a virgin.
(d) He cheated on her with the waitress from Cape Cod.
2. What does Buddy tell Esther she should get used to seeing?
(a) Him naked
(b) Women giving birth
(c) His dorm room
3. Why is Esther disturbed by Buddy's view of poetry?
(a) She believes that poetry is more important than cadavers.
(b) It shows that he never read the poems she wrote for him.
(c) She is a literature major and a writer.
(d) It demonstrates his ignorance.
4. What does Esther resolve to do during her summer at home?
(a) Break up with Buddy
(b) Write a novel
(c) Gain life experience
(d) Take a summer course
5. Who is the only man that Esther ever considered losing her virginity to?
6. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
(a) He has a keen interest in learning.
(b) He is always trying to explain things to Esther.
(c) He is very knowledgeable about biology.
(d) His father was a teacher.
7. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
(b) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
(c) An angry note from Doreen.
(d) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
8. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
(a) Write non-traditional articles
(b) Learn several languages
(c) Double major in French and English in college
(d) Create a compelling resume
9. How does Doreen avoid getting food poisoning?
(a) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at the office working with Jay Cee.
(b) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at Coney Island with Lenny.
(c) She doesn't eat the food because she is trying to stay thin for Lenny.
(d) She only eats dessert.
10. Why does Esther order vodka at the bar?
(a) She saw it in an ad and was attracted to its purity.
(b) It is her favorite drink.
(c) She thinks it will convince Lenny and Frankie that she is older than she is.
(d) She wants to get drunk as quickly as possible.
11. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
(a) She takes a hot bath to wash away the memory.
(b) She returns home.
(c) She cries hysterically.
(d) She throws all of her clothes off of the roof.
12. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
(a) She likes Betsy's clothes better than her own.
(b) She threw all of her clothes of of the roof and has nothing to wear.
(c) She gave all of her clothes to Doreen and has nothing to wear.
(d) She has always coveted Betsy's green skirt.
13. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(b) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(c) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
(d) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
14. What is keeping Esther from telling Buddy that she has no intention of marrying him?
(a) His illness
(b) Her commitment to the magazine
(c) Fear of his mother's response
(d) He is attending medical school and she does not want to distract him.
15. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Constantin ask Esther to do when they go to his apartment?
2. Why does Esther like Doreen?
3. How does Esther know Buddy?
4. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
5. Where does Doreen put Esther's clothes to help her forget about them?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)