|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
(a) Every weekend
(b) Every other weekend
(c) Every third weekend
(d) Once a month
2. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
(a) Doreen left a cigarette burning in an ashtray.
(b) Doreen had been smoking before they left and had failed to open the window.
(c) The smoke materialized out of nowhere.
(d) There is a fire in Esther's room.
3. Why does Esther leave the movie premiere?
(a) She feels nauseous.
(b) She is tired and wants to go to sleep.
(c) She does not like the movie.
(d) She wants to see Doreen as soon as she comes back from Coney Island.
4. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(b) Her mother
(d) Jay Cee
5. Why does Esther like Doreen?
(a) She is wealthy.
(b) She is fashion conscious.
(c) She is witty and sarcastic.
(d) She provides a smoking partner for Esther.
6. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
(a) He has gained weight.
(b) He looks pale and sickly.
(c) He has lost weight.
(d) He has cut his hair short.
7. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
(b) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(c) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(d) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
8. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A diamond pin
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A stylish fan.
(d) A bottle of wine.
9. What does Lenny's apartment look like to Esther?
(a) A dance club
(b) A hunting lodge
(c) A ranch
(d) A mansion
10. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
(a) She does not know who is there to visit and wants to be able to go to the library if the boy is horrific.
(b) She does not know who is there to visit and plans to read her history book if he is boring.
(c) She plans to stop by the library after talking with Buddy.
(d) She wants Buddy to see that she is a studious person.
11. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
(a) He believes it is the next great masterpiece of American poetry.
(b) He thinks she will enjoy it.
(c) He wrote it.
(d) His father wrote it.
12. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
(b) Books of short stories
(c) Copies of the magazine
13. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
(a) He writes her a letter proposing marriage.
(b) He writes her a letter saying he could fall in love with her.
(c) He tells Buddy that he and Esther kissed.
(d) He graduates from college.
14. What does Esther hear as she lays in bed on the first morning she is home?
(a) A car pulling out of a driveway
(b) The phone ringing
(c) The squeak of carriage wheels
(d) Her mother practicing typing
15. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buddy ask Esther whether she'd like to live in the city or the country?
2. What causes Esther's skiing accident?
3. With whom does Esther ride back to the Amazon after leaving the movie premiere?
4. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
5. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)