|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
(a) She criticizes his erratic driving.
(b) She vomits in his cab.
(c) She tips him well below the standard rate.
(d) She fails to tip him because she does not understand she needs to tip service people.
2. What bothers Esther about the article "In Defense of Chastity"?
(a) It ignores a woman's feelings.
(b) It allows men to have pre-marital sex, but tells women not to.
(c) It condemns pre-martial sex.
(d) It advocates marriage.
3. Why doesn't Esther attend the fur show?
(a) She is attending the Ladies' Day luncheon when the fur show is going on.
(b) She has no interest in furs.
(c) Jay Cee asks her to come into the office.
(d) Esther and Doreen go to Coney Island with Lenny.
4. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(a) Jay Cee
(d) Her mother
5. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
(b) A fountain
(d) Leather chairs
6. For Esther the world is divided along the lines of---
(d) political beliefs
7. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
8. What does Buddy tell Esther she will want to abandon once she has children?
(b) Her career
9. Who has Mrs. Willard promised to introduce Esther to in New York City?
(a) The editor of a major literary magazine
(b) A simultaneous interpreter at the UN
(c) Her son, Buddy
(d) An ambassador at the UN
10. Where does Doreen put Esther's clothes to help her forget about them?
(a) In her (Doreen's) room
(b) In the closet
(c) Over the balcony
(d) Under her bed
11. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
(a) Double major in French and English in college
(b) Create a compelling resume
(c) Write non-traditional articles
(d) Learn several languages
12. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She is about to begin crying.
(b) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(c) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(d) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
13. What does Esther do to let Constantin know she is interested in having sex with him?
(a) She kisses him.
(b) She lays down on his bed.
(c) She tells him she would like to have sex with him.
(d) She undresses.
14. What does Lenny's apartment look like to Esther?
(a) A dance club
(b) A hunting lodge
(c) A mansion
(d) A ranch
15. What does Esther label Marco?
(a) a snake
(b) a playing card
(c) a woman-hater
(d) a Latin lover
Short Answer Questions
1. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
2. What does Esther do as Lenny and Doreen dance?
3. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
4. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
5. What causes Esther's skiing accident?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)