|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She calls her mother for moral support.
(b) She smokes a cigarette.
(c) She takes a hot bath.
(d) She has a drink.
2. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
(b) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
(c) An angry note from Doreen.
(d) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
3. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
(a) She cries hysterically.
(b) She takes a hot bath to wash away the memory.
(c) She returns home.
(d) She throws all of her clothes off of the roof.
4. What does Esther do to prevent Marco from raping her?
(a) She stabs him with his diamond pin.
(b) She punches him in the stomach.
(c) She calls for Doreen.
(d) She punches him in the nose.
5. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
(a) An ashtray
(b) A book of poetry
(d) A piece of pottery
6. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
(a) Leather chairs
(d) A fountain
7. What does Marco remind Esther of?
(a) A snake in the zoo
(b) A movie star
(c) A tango dancer
(d) A diamond
8. Who is Esther "cursed" to have had to eat breakfast with in the hotel cafeteria?
(c) Jay Cee
9. What course does Esther convince her college dean to exempt her from taking?
10. What is Esther's response to Buddy's marriage proposal?
(a) She rejects his proposal because she believes he is a hypocrite.
(b) She tells him she needs to think about it before answering.
(c) She accepts his proposal and agrees to marry him.
(d) She tells him she will never get married.
11. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(b) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
(c) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(d) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
12. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
(a) A nightmare about Doreen being hurt by Lenny.
(b) Doreen knocking on her door calling her.
(c) A phone call from Doreen.
(d) Betsy knocking on her door asking for her to come help Doreen.
13. Who has Mrs. Willard promised to introduce Esther to in New York City?
(a) An ambassador at the UN
(b) A simultaneous interpreter at the UN
(c) Her son, Buddy
(d) The editor of a major literary magazine
14. What does Esther label Marco?
(a) a snake
(b) a woman-hater
(c) a playing card
(d) a Latin lover
15. Why is Esther disturbed by Buddy's view of poetry?
(a) It demonstrates his ignorance.
(b) It shows that he never read the poems she wrote for him.
(c) She believes that poetry is more important than cadavers.
(d) She is a literature major and a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
2. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
3. Why does Buddy call Esther at college?
4. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
5. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)