|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She calls her mother for moral support.
(b) She smokes a cigarette.
(c) She takes a hot bath.
(d) She has a drink.
2. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
(a) Write non-traditional articles
(b) Learn several languages
(c) Double major in French and English in college
(d) Create a compelling resume
3. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
(a) He thinks she will enjoy it.
(b) His father wrote it.
(c) He believes it is the next great masterpiece of American poetry.
(d) He wrote it.
4. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
(a) A piece of pottery
(b) A book of poetry
(c) An ashtray
5. What faux pas does Esther make with the bellman when she first arrives at the Amazon?
(a) She does not not tip him because she doesn't know she is supposed to.
(b) She insults his uniform.
(c) She fails to thank him for carrying her bag to her room.
(d) She ignores him because she is too busy looking out the window.
6. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
(a) Her grandmother
(b) Her mother
(c) Her grandfather
7. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
(b) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
(c) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
(d) An angry note from Doreen.
8. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(b) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(c) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
(d) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
9. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
(a) Every other weekend
(b) Every weekend
(c) Once a month
(d) Every third weekend
10. What surprises Esther about the English program at her mother's college?
(a) There are more requirements than her own college.
(b) It is surprisingly difficult.
(c) There is no honors program in the English department.
(d) She has already met all of the requirements.
11. What does Esther do to let Constantin know she is interested in having sex with him?
(a) She kisses him.
(b) She undresses.
(c) She tells him she would like to have sex with him.
(d) She lays down on his bed.
12. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She is about to begin crying.
(b) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(c) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(d) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
13. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
(a) She had broken up with him and did not expect to hear from him.
(b) He usually writes letters because he is too cheap to pay for long distance.
(c) She rarely receives phone calls.
(d) He is angry at her and vowed never to speak to her again.
14. How many times did Buddy have sex with the waitress from Cape Cod?
(a) 30 times
(d) One time
15. Why is Esther shocked when Buddy tells her he is not a virgin?
(a) She wanted for them both to lose their virginity together.
(b) She believed she was more sexually experienced than he was.
(c) She plans to marry him and wanted him to be a virgin.
(d) She believed that he was opposed to pre-marital sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is keeping Esther from telling Buddy that she has no intention of marrying him?
2. What does Mrs. Greenwood convince Esther she should do since she will not be taking the writing course?
3. Why does Buddy ask Esther whether she'd like to live in the city or the country?
4. Who is Philomena Guinea?
5. What does Lenny's apartment look like to Esther?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)