|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
(a) He calls them worthless pieces of junk.
(b) He likens them to the cadavers he dissects in medical school.
(c) He sees them as capturing all the beauty there is in the world.
(d) He calls poems pieces of dust.
2. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
(a) She criticizes his erratic driving.
(b) She fails to tip him because she does not understand she needs to tip service people.
(c) She vomits in his cab.
(d) She tips him well below the standard rate.
3. What does Esther do to prevent Marco from raping her?
(a) She punches him in the stomach.
(b) She stabs him with his diamond pin.
(c) She calls for Doreen.
(d) She punches him in the nose.
4. What does Jay Cee give Esther as she leaves for her lunch date with the two authors?
(a) Some medication.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A sealed envelope.
(d) A stack of manuscripts.
5. How many children does Dodo Conway have?
6. What does Esther decide about her relationship with Constantin during their dinner date?
(a) She would like to be friends, but not lovers with Constantin.
(b) She will allow him to seduce her.
(c) She will leave Buddy for Constantin.
(d) She has no interest in seeing Constantin again.
7. Where is Marco from?
8. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
(a) A phone call from Doreen.
(b) A nightmare about Doreen being hurt by Lenny.
(c) Betsy knocking on her door asking for her to come help Doreen.
(d) Doreen knocking on her door calling her.
9. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
(a) He has cut his hair short.
(b) He has lost weight.
(c) He has gained weight.
(d) He looks pale and sickly.
10. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
(a) She has always coveted Betsy's green skirt.
(b) She gave all of her clothes to Doreen and has nothing to wear.
(c) She likes Betsy's clothes better than her own.
(d) She threw all of her clothes of of the roof and has nothing to wear.
11. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
(a) She is entranced by the Technicolor technology.
(b) She thinks it is over the top and trite.
(c) She is annoyed by the costumes.
(d) She is drawn in by the romantic plot line.
12. Who is the only girl working at the magazine who does not get sick?
(c) Emily Ann
13. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(b) A racehorse
(c) The UN
(d) A fig tree
14. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
(a) She thinks that the Willards want to adopt her.
(b) She knows that Buddy is going to propose marriage to her.
(c) She thinks that Mr. Willard wants to make her feel good about herself.
(d) She believes he is about to tell her that Mrs. Willard is pregnant.
15. What does Esther hear as she lays in bed on the first morning she is home?
(a) A car pulling out of a driveway
(b) Her mother practicing typing
(c) The phone ringing
(d) The squeak of carriage wheels
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
2. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
3. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
4. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
5. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)