|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
(b) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(c) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
(d) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
2. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
(a) The hotel maid
(c) The hotel nurse
3. What nickname does Doreen give Betsy?
(a) Kansas Cowgirl
(b) Pollyanna Cowgirl
(c) Ugly as Sin
(d) Sweetheart of Sigma Chi
4. What does Esther do as Lenny and Doreen dance?
(a) She joins them and dances.
(b) She falls asleep on Lenny's bed.
(c) She leaves Lenny's apartment.
(d) She sits on the bear skin rug and drinks.
5. How many times did Buddy have sex with the waitress from Cape Cod?
(c) One time
(d) 30 times
6. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(b) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(c) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
(d) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
7. With whom does Esther ride back to the Amazon after leaving the movie premiere?
(a) Jay Cee
(b) Emily Ann
8. What does Esther do to prevent Marco from raping her?
(a) She punches him in the stomach.
(b) She calls for Doreen.
(c) She stabs him with his diamond pin.
(d) She punches him in the nose.
9. What does Esther do while Mr. Manzi is lecturing in chemistry class?
(a) She completes her Shakespeare class assignments.
(b) She writes down the formulas he writes on the board.
(c) She pretends to be writing down the formulas he writes on the board.
(d) She daydreams.
10. Why does Esther say she would never marry Buddy Willard?
(a) She has no desire to marry anyone.
(b) She hates Mrs. Willard and could not stand to be her daughter-in-law.
(c) She is in love with Constantin.
(d) She believes he is a hypocrite.
11. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(a) A fig tree
(b) A racehorse
(c) The UN
12. What does Buddy take Esther to do while she is visiting him at the sanatorium?
(b) Buy an engagement ring
(c) Go for a drive through the mountains
13. Why is Esther afraid of taking chemistry?
(a) She cannot stand reducing life to numbers and formulas.
(b) She does not want to take the lab requirement.
(c) She does not like Mr. Manzi's teaching style.
(d) She does not think her brain can handle learning the periodic table.
14. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
(a) To get ahead the following semester
(b) To fill in a gap in her coursework
(c) To help her sleep
(d) To begin writing her thesis
15. What course does Esther convince her college dean to exempt her from taking?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Esther say she stopped being "purely happy"?
2. Where do Buddy and Esther go after the Yale Junior Prom?
3. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
4. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
5. How does Ladies' Day determine what causes the girls' sickness?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)