|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A stylish fan.
(b) A diamond pin
(c) A new puppy.
(d) A bottle of wine.
2. At what age does Esther say she stopped being "purely happy"?
(a) 5 years old
(b) 9 years old
(c) 18 years old
(d) 11 years old
3. How many times did Buddy have sex with the waitress from Cape Cod?
(b) 30 times
(c) One time
4. What is the first thing that Esther notices about Marco?
(a) His crass attitude
(b) His dark eyes
(c) His stick pin
(d) His dark suit
5. What course keeps Esther from considering a major in English?
(a) Eighteenth century literature
(b) Old English
(d) History of the English Language
6. What is Esther's first reaction when Buddy proposes to her?
(a) She feels like laughing.
(b) She is delighted.
(c) She feels nauseous.
(d) She is shocked.
7. How does Esther feel about the cadavers that Buddy shows her?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is horrified.
(c) She is ambivalent.
(d) She is intrigued.
8. What trait makes Esther admire Jay Cee?
(a) Her looks
(b) Her intelligence
(c) Her directness
(d) Her success
9. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
10. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
(a) He usually writes letters because he is too cheap to pay for long distance.
(b) She had broken up with him and did not expect to hear from him.
(c) She rarely receives phone calls.
(d) He is angry at her and vowed never to speak to her again.
11. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
(b) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
(c) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
(d) An angry note from Doreen.
12. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
(b) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(c) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
(d) She refuses to smile or move her face.
13. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
(a) She is drawn in by the romantic plot line.
(b) She is entranced by the Technicolor technology.
(c) She is annoyed by the costumes.
(d) She thinks it is over the top and trite.
14. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
(a) To help her sleep
(b) To begin writing her thesis
(c) To fill in a gap in her coursework
(d) To get ahead the following semester
15. What is Lenny Shepherd famous for?
(a) He is a popular actor.
(b) He is a popular disc jockey.
(c) He is the owner of a popular bar.
(d) He is popular dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
2. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
3. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
4. Why won't Buddy allow Esther to ski down the hill again?
5. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)