|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
2. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
(a) She thinks it is over the top and trite.
(b) She is entranced by the Technicolor technology.
(c) She is drawn in by the romantic plot line.
(d) She is annoyed by the costumes.
3. Why does Esther order vodka at the bar?
(a) She thinks it will convince Lenny and Frankie that she is older than she is.
(b) It is her favorite drink.
(c) She saw it in an ad and was attracted to its purity.
(d) She wants to get drunk as quickly as possible.
4. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(b) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(c) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
(d) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
5. What surprises Esther the most about Marco?
(a) His cruelty
(b) His unwillingness to give her the diamond
(c) His honesty
(d) His aggression
6. What surprises Esther about the English program at her mother's college?
(a) There are more requirements than her own college.
(b) It is surprisingly difficult.
(c) She has already met all of the requirements.
(d) There is no honors program in the English department.
7. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(b) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
(c) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
(d) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
8. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
(a) Copies of the magazine
(c) Books of short stories
9. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
(a) The day she found out he had TB.
(b) When he asks her to Junior Prom.
(c) The day they saw a baby born.
(d) The moment he kissed her after the Junior Prom.
10. Where is Marco from?
11. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
(a) He has gained weight.
(b) He has lost weight.
(c) He has cut his hair short.
(d) He looks pale and sickly.
12. How many children does Dodo Conway have?
13. How does Esther feel about the cadavers that Buddy shows her?
(a) She is horrified.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is intrigued.
(d) She is ambivalent.
14. Why had Esther visited her family doctor?
(a) She has developed laryngitis.
(b) She is plagued by anxiety.
(c) She cannot read or sleep.
(d) She needs a referral for a psychiatrist.
15. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
(a) She has always coveted Betsy's green skirt.
(b) She gave all of her clothes to Doreen and has nothing to wear.
(c) She likes Betsy's clothes better than her own.
(d) She threw all of her clothes of of the roof and has nothing to wear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
2. What does Esther do as Lenny and Doreen dance?
3. Why does Esther think that Mr. Willard is telling her that he and his wife had always wanted a daughter?
4. What sorts of foods does Esther say she likes the best?
5. How does Ladies' Day determine what causes the girls' sickness?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)