|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
(b) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(c) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
(d) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
2. Why is Esther shocked when Buddy tells her he is not a virgin?
(a) She plans to marry him and wanted him to be a virgin.
(b) She wanted for them both to lose their virginity together.
(c) She believed that he was opposed to pre-marital sex.
(d) She believed she was more sexually experienced than he was.
3. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(b) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
(c) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
(d) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
4. What does Esther do to prevent Marco from raping her?
(a) She stabs him with his diamond pin.
(b) She punches him in the stomach.
(c) She calls for Doreen.
(d) She punches him in the nose.
5. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
(a) She is annoyed by the costumes.
(b) She thinks it is over the top and trite.
(c) She is drawn in by the romantic plot line.
(d) She is entranced by the Technicolor technology.
6. What bothers Esther about the article "In Defense of Chastity"?
(a) It condemns pre-martial sex.
(b) It ignores a woman's feelings.
(c) It advocates marriage.
(d) It allows men to have pre-marital sex, but tells women not to.
7. How does Ladies' Day determine what causes the girls' sickness?
(a) They test vomit collected by the Amazon staff.
(b) They test the ingredients used to make the lunch.
(c) They test the contents of one of the girl's stomachs after it is pumped.
(d) They test the leftover food from the luncheon.
8. What faux pas does Esther make with the bellman when she first arrives at the Amazon?
(a) She does not not tip him because she doesn't know she is supposed to.
(b) She insults his uniform.
(c) She ignores him because she is too busy looking out the window.
(d) She fails to thank him for carrying her bag to her room.
9. Why does Esther order vodka at the bar?
(a) She thinks it will convince Lenny and Frankie that she is older than she is.
(b) She saw it in an ad and was attracted to its purity.
(c) She wants to get drunk as quickly as possible.
(d) It is her favorite drink.
10. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(a) Her mother
(c) Jay Cee
11. Who is the only girl working at the magazine who does not get sick?
(b) Emily Ann
12. What is the first thing that Esther notices about Marco?
(a) His crass attitude
(b) His dark suit
(c) His dark eyes
(d) His stick pin
13. Why doesn't Esther attend the fur show?
(a) Esther and Doreen go to Coney Island with Lenny.
(b) She has no interest in furs.
(c) Jay Cee asks her to come into the office.
(d) She is attending the Ladies' Day luncheon when the fur show is going on.
14. What is Esther's first reaction when Buddy proposes to her?
(a) She feels like laughing.
(b) She feels nauseous.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She is delighted.
15. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
(a) He was no longer a virgin.
(b) He is insensitive to her feelings about childbirth.
(c) He had kept his affair with the waitress a secret from her.
(d) He cheated on her with the waitress from Cape Cod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Doreen put Esther's clothes to help her forget about them?
2. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
3. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
4. How many times did Buddy have sex with the waitress from Cape Cod?
5. What does Esther resolve to do during her summer at home?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)