|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther leave the movie premiere?
(a) She is tired and wants to go to sleep.
(b) She feels nauseous.
(c) She wants to see Doreen as soon as she comes back from Coney Island.
(d) She does not like the movie.
2. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
(a) The smoke materialized out of nowhere.
(b) Doreen had been smoking before they left and had failed to open the window.
(c) Doreen left a cigarette burning in an ashtray.
(d) There is a fire in Esther's room.
3. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
4. Doreen tells Lenny she will go to his apartment only if---
(a) Lenny will order her another old fashioned.
(b) Frankie will not be there.
(c) Esther/Elly will accompany her.
(d) Lenny will pay for the girls' drinks.
5. For Esther the world is divided along the lines of---
(b) political beliefs
6. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
(a) She smokes a cigarette.
(b) She has a drink.
(c) She calls her mother for moral support.
(d) She takes a hot bath.
7. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
(b) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(c) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(d) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
8. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(b) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
(c) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(d) She is about to begin crying.
9. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A stylish fan.
(d) A diamond pin
10. What does Esther do to let Constantin know she is interested in having sex with him?
(a) She kisses him.
(b) She lays down on his bed.
(c) She undresses.
(d) She tells him she would like to have sex with him.
11. Who is Philomena Guinea?
(a) The novelist whose scholarship Esther has at college.
(b) The editor of Ladies' Day magazine.
(c) A famous novelist who is having lunch with Jay Cee.
(d) A lady at the Scholarships Office at Esther's college.
12. What does Mrs. Greenwood convince Esther she should do since she will not be taking the writing course?
(a) Learn a foreign language
(b) Learn shorthand
(c) Write a novel
(d) Take another course
13. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
(a) Like Esther, Lenny is tall while Frankie is short.
(b) Lenny is much more attractive than Frankie.
(c) Lenny is more charismatic than Frankie.
(d) Like Esther, Lenny is short while Frankie is tall.
14. What did Esther's doctor prescribe to help her symptoms?
(a) Sleeping pills
(b) Psychiatric care
15. What trait makes Esther admire Jay Cee?
(a) Her intelligence
(b) Her directness
(c) Her success
(d) Her looks
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Doreen give Betsy?
2. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
3. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
4. What is keeping Esther from telling Buddy that she has no intention of marrying him?
5. How does Esther feel about the cadavers that Buddy shows her?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)