|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
(a) The assassination of John F. Kennedy
(b) The execution of the Rosenbergs
(c) The trial of the Rosenbergs
(d) The bombing of Hiroshima
2. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
(a) Her grandmother
(b) Her mother
(d) Her grandfather
3. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) She takes a cab.
(b) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
(c) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
(d) Lenny drives her home.
4. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(b) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
(c) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
(d) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
5. What does Esther think caused her sickness?
6. What surprises Esther about the English program at her mother's college?
(a) There are more requirements than her own college.
(b) There is no honors program in the English department.
(c) She has already met all of the requirements.
(d) It is surprisingly difficult.
7. Who has Mrs. Willard promised to introduce Esther to in New York City?
(a) An ambassador at the UN
(b) A simultaneous interpreter at the UN
(c) Her son, Buddy
(d) The editor of a major literary magazine
8. What does Esther do while Mr. Manzi is lecturing in chemistry class?
(a) She completes her Shakespeare class assignments.
(b) She pretends to be writing down the formulas he writes on the board.
(c) She daydreams.
(d) She writes down the formulas he writes on the board.
9. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
(b) An angry note from Doreen.
(c) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
(d) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
10. What does Esther do as Lenny and Doreen dance?
(a) She leaves Lenny's apartment.
(b) She sits on the bear skin rug and drinks.
(c) She joins them and dances.
(d) She falls asleep on Lenny's bed.
11. What is the first thing that Esther notices about Marco?
(a) His dark eyes
(b) His stick pin
(c) His dark suit
(d) His crass attitude
12. What did Esther's doctor prescribe to help her symptoms?
(a) Psychiatric care
(c) Sleeping pills
13. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
14. Why has a medical student been assigned to deliver the woman's baby on the day Esther and Buddy visit the hospital?
(a) The doctor on call is stuck in traffic.
(b) Delivering a baby is a medical school requirement.
(c) The doctor assigned to the woman is attending to another birth.
(d) Delivering eight babies is a medical school requirement.
15. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
(a) Lenny is more charismatic than Frankie.
(b) Like Esther, Lenny is tall while Frankie is short.
(c) Lenny is much more attractive than Frankie.
(d) Like Esther, Lenny is short while Frankie is tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
2. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
3. What does Constantin ask Esther to do when they go to his apartment?
4. Why won't Esther let Doreen come into her room when she returns from Lenny's?
5. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)