|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Esther's doctor prescribe to help her symptoms?
(a) Sleeping pills
(b) Psychiatric care
2. Who is Philomena Guinea?
(a) A lady at the Scholarships Office at Esther's college.
(b) The novelist whose scholarship Esther has at college.
(c) The editor of Ladies' Day magazine.
(d) A famous novelist who is having lunch with Jay Cee.
3. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
(b) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
(c) She takes a cab.
(d) Lenny drives her home.
4. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
(a) A piece of pottery
(b) A book of poetry
(d) An ashtray
5. What does Esther do while Mr. Manzi is lecturing in chemistry class?
(a) She writes down the formulas he writes on the board.
(b) She completes her Shakespeare class assignments.
(c) She daydreams.
(d) She pretends to be writing down the formulas he writes on the board.
6. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
(a) The moment he kissed her after the Junior Prom.
(b) When he asks her to Junior Prom.
(c) The day they saw a baby born.
(d) The day she found out he had TB.
7. Why does Jody call Esther?
(a) To see if she still needs a room in her house
(b) To ask about her magazine internship
(c) To inquire about Buddy
(d) To see when she will arrive at college for the summer
8. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
9. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
(b) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
(c) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(d) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
10. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
(a) Leather chairs
(b) A fountain
11. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
(a) She likes Betsy's clothes better than her own.
(b) She has always coveted Betsy's green skirt.
(c) She threw all of her clothes of of the roof and has nothing to wear.
(d) She gave all of her clothes to Doreen and has nothing to wear.
12. How does Ladies' Day determine what causes the girls' sickness?
(a) They test the contents of one of the girl's stomachs after it is pumped.
(b) They test vomit collected by the Amazon staff.
(c) They test the leftover food from the luncheon.
(d) They test the ingredients used to make the lunch.
13. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(b) Jay Cee
(d) Her mother
14. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
(a) Betsy knocking on her door asking for her to come help Doreen.
(b) A nightmare about Doreen being hurt by Lenny.
(c) Doreen knocking on her door calling her.
(d) A phone call from Doreen.
15. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
(a) To begin writing her thesis
(b) To fill in a gap in her coursework
(c) To get ahead the following semester
(d) To help her sleep
Short Answer Questions
1. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
2. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
3. What is Esther's first reaction when Buddy proposes to her?
4. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
5. What surprises Esther about the English program at her mother's college?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)