|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What faux pas does Esther make with the bellman when she first arrives at the Amazon?
(a) She fails to thank him for carrying her bag to her room.
(b) She does not not tip him because she doesn't know she is supposed to.
(c) She ignores him because she is too busy looking out the window.
(d) She insults his uniform.
2. What does Esther hear as she lays in bed on the first morning she is home?
(a) Her mother practicing typing
(b) The squeak of carriage wheels
(c) The phone ringing
(d) A car pulling out of a driveway
3. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
(a) Like Esther, Lenny is short while Frankie is tall.
(b) Lenny is more charismatic than Frankie.
(c) Like Esther, Lenny is tall while Frankie is short.
(d) Lenny is much more attractive than Frankie.
4. With whom does Esther ride back to the Amazon after leaving the movie premiere?
(a) Jay Cee
(b) Emily Ann
5. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
(a) She plans to stop by the library after talking with Buddy.
(b) She wants Buddy to see that she is a studious person.
(c) She does not know who is there to visit and wants to be able to go to the library if the boy is horrific.
(d) She does not know who is there to visit and plans to read her history book if he is boring.
6. What disturbs Esther about the drug that the birthing mother is given?
(a) It claims to alleviate pain, but actually only makes the woman forget her birth experience.
(b) The woman is given the drug against her will.
(c) It was created by a man.
(d) t claims to make the woman forget the experience, but actually only alleviates pain.
7. Who is the only man that Esther ever considered losing her virginity to?
8. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
(b) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(c) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(d) She is about to begin crying.
9. What trait makes Esther admire Jay Cee?
(a) Her success
(b) Her directness
(c) Her intelligence
(d) Her looks
10. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
(b) Copies of the magazine
(c) Books of short stories
11. For Esther the world is divided along the lines of---
(b) political beliefs
12. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
(b) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
(c) She takes a cab.
(d) Lenny drives her home.
13. What does Esther label Marco?
(a) a playing card
(b) a snake
(c) a Latin lover
(d) a woman-hater
14. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
(b) She always earns A's in his courses.
(c) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(d) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
15. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(b) A fig tree
(c) The UN
(d) A racehorse
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jay Cee give Esther as she leaves for her lunch date with the two authors?
2. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
3. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
4. What course keeps Esther from considering a major in English?
5. Why can't Marco marry the woman he is in love with?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)