|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Esther's room full of smoke when she returns home from Lenny's apartment?
(a) Doreen left a cigarette burning in an ashtray.
(b) The smoke materialized out of nowhere.
(c) Doreen had been smoking before they left and had failed to open the window.
(d) There is a fire in Esther's room.
2. How does Esther feel about the cadavers that Buddy shows her?
(a) She is horrified.
(b) She is ambivalent.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is intrigued.
3. Why does Buddy call Esther at college?
(a) He has received a scholarship and is excited.
(b) He wants to ask for her hand in marriage.
(c) He has contracted TB and must immediately leave for treatment.
(d) He is concerned that he has given her TB.
4. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(b) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(c) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
(d) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
5. What keeps Esther from losing her virginity to Constantin?
(a) They fall asleep.
(b) She receives a phone call and must leave his apartment.
(c) Constantin refuses to have sex with her.
(d) She decides that she would rather wait until she is married.
6. How many children does Dodo Conway have?
7. How does Esther feel when she hangs up the phone after talking with Buddy?
8. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(b) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
(c) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(d) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
9. What course does Esther convince her college dean to exempt her from taking?
10. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) Lenny drives her home.
(b) She takes a cab.
(c) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
(d) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
11. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
(a) The assassination of John F. Kennedy
(b) The bombing of Hiroshima
(c) The execution of the Rosenbergs
(d) The trial of the Rosenbergs
12. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She is about to begin crying.
(b) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
(c) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(d) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
13. What is the first thing that Esther notices about Marco?
(a) His stick pin
(b) His crass attitude
(c) His dark eyes
(d) His dark suit
14. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A diamond pin
(b) A stylish fan.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A new puppy.
15. What course keeps Esther from considering a major in English?
(a) Old English
(b) History of the English Language
(d) Eighteenth century literature
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Mrs. Willard promised to introduce Esther to in New York City?
2. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
3. What does Lenny's apartment look like to Esther?
4. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
5. Why is Buddy eager for Esther to read the poem "Florida Dawn"?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)