|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Doreen vomit on the carpet of the hotel hallway?
(a) She is drunk.
(b) She has the flu.
(c) She is upset that Lenny dumped her.
(d) She has food poisoning.
2. Why does Buddy ask Esther whether she'd like to live in the city or the country?
(a) To decide where to take her on vacation
(b) To determine where they should buy their first house
(c) To see if they are compatible
(d) To determine if she is neurotic
3. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
(b) An angry note from Doreen.
(c) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
(d) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
4. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(b) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
(c) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
(d) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
5. How does Doreen avoid getting food poisoning?
(a) She only eats dessert.
(b) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at Coney Island with Lenny.
(c) She doesn't eat the food because she is trying to stay thin for Lenny.
(d) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at the office working with Jay Cee.
6. What course keeps Esther from considering a major in English?
(b) Old English
(c) Eighteenth century literature
(d) History of the English Language
7. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
(a) She is entranced by the Technicolor technology.
(b) She is drawn in by the romantic plot line.
(c) She thinks it is over the top and trite.
(d) She is annoyed by the costumes.
8. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
(a) She plans to stop by the library after talking with Buddy.
(b) She does not know who is there to visit and wants to be able to go to the library if the boy is horrific.
(c) She wants Buddy to see that she is a studious person.
(d) She does not know who is there to visit and plans to read her history book if he is boring.
9. What does Esther think may have caused Buddy's TB?
(a) His insensitivity to her feelings
(b) His compromised immune system
(c) His dishonesty
(d) His unwillingness to wear gloves when examining patients
10. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
(a) Her grandfather
(b) Her grandmother
(c) Her mother
11. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
(a) He has lost weight.
(b) He has gained weight.
(c) He has cut his hair short.
(d) He looks pale and sickly.
12. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(b) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(c) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
(d) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
13. Why does Buddy call Esther at college?
(a) He wants to ask for her hand in marriage.
(b) He has received a scholarship and is excited.
(c) He is concerned that he has given her TB.
(d) He has contracted TB and must immediately leave for treatment.
14. What did Esther's doctor prescribe to help her symptoms?
(c) Sleeping pills
(d) Psychiatric care
15. What is Lenny Shepherd famous for?
(a) He is a popular disc jockey.
(b) He is popular dancer.
(c) He is the owner of a popular bar.
(d) He is a popular actor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is keeping Esther from telling Buddy that she has no intention of marrying him?
2. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
3. Why is Esther shocked when Buddy tells her he is not a virgin?
4. With whom does Esther ride back to the Amazon after leaving the movie premiere?
5. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)