|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
(b) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(c) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(d) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
2. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(b) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
(c) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
(d) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
3. What does Constantin say is the most difficult aspect of simultaneous translation?
(a) Understanding the ambassadors' accents
(b) The speed at which the ambassadors speak
(c) The idioms
(d) The verb conjugations
4. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
(a) It is utterly silent in her room.
(b) She feels abandoned by Doreen.
(c) She wishes she had gone to the magazine party instead of to Lenny's apartment.
(d) It is smoky in her room.
5. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
(a) The day they saw a baby born.
(b) When he asks her to Junior Prom.
(c) The moment he kissed her after the Junior Prom.
(d) The day she found out he had TB.
6. Who comes to rescue Esther when she passes out in the bathroom of the Amazon?
(c) The hotel maid
(d) The hotel nurse
7. What does Marco remind Esther of?
(a) A diamond
(b) A tango dancer
(c) A snake in the zoo
(d) A movie star
8. What does Esther do while Mr. Manzi is lecturing in chemistry class?
(a) She completes her Shakespeare class assignments.
(b) She daydreams.
(c) She writes down the formulas he writes on the board.
(d) She pretends to be writing down the formulas he writes on the board.
9. Why does Jody call Esther?
(a) To see when she will arrive at college for the summer
(b) To ask about her magazine internship
(c) To see if she still needs a room in her house
(d) To inquire about Buddy
10. How many children does Dodo Conway have?
11. Where do Buddy and Esther go after the Yale Junior Prom?
(a) To Buddy's fraternity house
(b) To a bar
(c) Back to Esther's college
(d) To a hill behind the chemistry lab
12. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A diamond pin
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A new puppy.
(d) A stylish fan.
13. What does Esther decide about her relationship with Constantin during their dinner date?
(a) She will allow him to seduce her.
(b) She would like to be friends, but not lovers with Constantin.
(c) She has no interest in seeing Constantin again.
(d) She will leave Buddy for Constantin.
14. How does Esther get from Lenny's apartment to the Amazon?
(a) She walks alone the 43 blocks back to the hotel.
(b) She and Doreen walk the 43 blocks back to the hotel together.
(c) Lenny drives her home.
(d) She takes a cab.
15. With whom does Esther ride back to the Amazon after leaving the movie premiere?
(a) Emily Ann
(c) Jay Cee
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esther leave the movie premiere?
2. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
3. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
4. What keeps Esther from losing her virginity to Constantin?
5. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)