|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther's mother ask her about what happened to her face?
(a) She is wearing much more makeup than she usually does.
(b) She refuses to smile or move her face.
(c) She has streaks of blood on each cheek.
(d) Her face is bruised from Marco's attack.
2. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
(a) He is angry at her and vowed never to speak to her again.
(b) She rarely receives phone calls.
(c) She had broken up with him and did not expect to hear from him.
(d) He usually writes letters because he is too cheap to pay for long distance.
3. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
(a) She criticizes his erratic driving.
(b) She vomits in his cab.
(c) She tips him well below the standard rate.
(d) She fails to tip him because she does not understand she needs to tip service people.
4. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(a) A racehorse
(b) The UN
(c) A fig tree
5. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
(b) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
(c) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
(d) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
6. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
(a) Lenny is more charismatic than Frankie.
(b) Like Esther, Lenny is short while Frankie is tall.
(c) Like Esther, Lenny is tall while Frankie is short.
(d) Lenny is much more attractive than Frankie.
7. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
(a) She throws all of her clothes off of the roof.
(b) She returns home.
(c) She takes a hot bath to wash away the memory.
(d) She cries hysterically.
8. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(a) Her mother
(b) Jay Cee
9. Why can't Marco marry the woman he is in love with?
(a) Her parents will not allow them to be married.
(b) She is going to be a nun
(c) She does not love him.
(d) She is in love with someone else.
10. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
(b) A fountain
(d) Leather chairs
11. How does Doreen avoid getting food poisoning?
(a) She only eats dessert.
(b) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at Coney Island with Lenny.
(c) She doesn't eat the food because she is trying to stay thin for Lenny.
(d) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at the office working with Jay Cee.
12. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(b) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
(c) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
(d) She always earns A's in his courses.
13. What trait does Buddy have that Esther thinks would make him a good teacher?
(a) He is very knowledgeable about biology.
(b) His father was a teacher.
(c) He is always trying to explain things to Esther.
(d) He has a keen interest in learning.
14. For Esther the world is divided along the lines of---
(d) political beliefs
15. What does Lenny's apartment look like to Esther?
(a) A dance club
(b) A mansion
(c) A hunting lodge
(d) A ranch
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther think may have caused Buddy's TB?
2. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
3. What sorts of foods does Esther say she likes the best?
4. What trait makes Esther admire Jay Cee?
5. Why does Esther feel depressed when she returns to the Amazon?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)