|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
(a) To begin writing her thesis
(b) To help her sleep
(c) To get ahead the following semester
(d) To fill in a gap in her coursework
2. How does Doreen avoid getting food poisoning?
(a) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at Coney Island with Lenny.
(b) She does not attend the luncheon because she is at the office working with Jay Cee.
(c) She doesn't eat the food because she is trying to stay thin for Lenny.
(d) She only eats dessert.
3. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
(b) She always earns A's in his courses.
(c) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(d) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
4. Why is Esther living in New York City in the summer of 1953?
(a) Esther is taking a summer writing course.
(b) As the award for winning a writing contest, she is interning at a fashion magazine.
(c) As the award for winning a modeling contest, she is modeling for a fashion magazine.
(d) She is attending New York University.
5. Why won't Buddy allow Esther to ski down the hill again?
(a) He says her leg is broken in two places.
(b) He wants to return to the sanatorium.
(c) He is concerned she will break her leg.
(d) She does not know how to ski.
6. What does Esther tell Frankie her name is?
(a) Esther Greenwood
(b) Elly Greenwood
(c) Elly Higginbottom
7. What is Esther's response to Buddy's marriage proposal?
(a) She tells him she will never get married.
(b) She tells him she needs to think about it before answering.
(c) She rejects his proposal because she believes he is a hypocrite.
(d) She accepts his proposal and agrees to marry him.
8. Why is Esther disturbed by Buddy's view of poetry?
(a) She believes that poetry is more important than cadavers.
(b) It shows that he never read the poems she wrote for him.
(c) She is a literature major and a writer.
(d) It demonstrates his ignorance.
9. Which of the following does NOT adorn the waiting room at the sanatorium?
(a) A fountain
(b) Leather chairs
10. What does Buddy tell Esther she will want to abandon once she has children?
(c) Her career
11. How does Ladies' Day determine what causes the girls' sickness?
(a) They test the leftover food from the luncheon.
(b) They test the ingredients used to make the lunch.
(c) They test vomit collected by the Amazon staff.
(d) They test the contents of one of the girl's stomachs after it is pumped.
12. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(a) A fig tree
(b) A racehorse
(c) The UN
13. Who is missing from the Ladies' Day luncheon?
14. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
(b) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
(c) An angry note from Doreen.
(d) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
15. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
(a) He writes her a letter proposing marriage.
(b) He graduates from college.
(c) He tells Buddy that he and Esther kissed.
(d) He writes her a letter saying he could fall in love with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jay Cee give Esther as she leaves for her lunch date with the two authors?
2. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
3. What does Esther think may have caused Buddy's TB?
4. Doreen tells Lenny she will go to his apartment only if---
5. What surprises Esther about Buddy's appearance when she first sees him at the sanatorium?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)