|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing that Esther notices about Marco?
(a) His crass attitude
(b) His stick pin
(c) His dark eyes
(d) His dark suit
2. When does Esther say she found out Buddy was a hypocrite?
(a) The day she found out he had TB.
(b) When he asks her to Junior Prom.
(c) The day they saw a baby born.
(d) The moment he kissed her after the Junior Prom.
3. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
(a) He had kept his affair with the waitress a secret from her.
(b) He is insensitive to her feelings about childbirth.
(c) He was no longer a virgin.
(d) He cheated on her with the waitress from Cape Cod.
4. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(a) A fig tree
(b) A racehorse
(c) The UN
5. Why is Esther afraid of taking chemistry?
(a) She does not think her brain can handle learning the periodic table.
(b) She does not want to take the lab requirement.
(c) She cannot stand reducing life to numbers and formulas.
(d) She does not like Mr. Manzi's teaching style.
6. What is Lenny Shepherd famous for?
(a) He is a popular disc jockey.
(b) He is the owner of a popular bar.
(c) He is popular dancer.
(d) He is a popular actor.
7. How does Esther feel when she hangs up the phone after talking with Buddy?
8. What nickname does Doreen give Betsy?
(a) Kansas Cowgirl
(b) Ugly as Sin
(c) Sweetheart of Sigma Chi
(d) Pollyanna Cowgirl
9. What does Esther resolve to do during her summer at home?
(a) Take a summer course
(b) Write a novel
(c) Break up with Buddy
(d) Gain life experience
10. What keeps Esther and Doreen from attending the magazine party?
(a) They do not want to spend time with the magazine staff.
(b) Their cab is stuck in traffic and they do not arrive until the party is over.
(c) They do not want to spend time with Betsy and the other girls from the Amazon.
(d) They decide to go to a bar for drinks with Lenny and Frankie.
11. What does Esther find outside of her door the morning after Doreen came home drunk?
(a) An angry note from Doreen.
(b) Doreen lying in a pool of her own vomit.
(c) The mustached night maid standing outside her door.
(d) An empty hallway with only a light stain on the carpet.
12. For Esther the world is divided along the lines of---
(a) political beliefs
13. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
(a) Double major in French and English in college
(b) Write non-traditional articles
(c) Create a compelling resume
(d) Learn several languages
14. Why does Esther say she would never marry Buddy Willard?
(a) She is in love with Constantin.
(b) She believes he is a hypocrite.
(c) She has no desire to marry anyone.
(d) She hates Mrs. Willard and could not stand to be her daughter-in-law.
15. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
(b) A piece of pottery
(c) An ashtray
(d) A book of poetry
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marco give Esther?
2. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
3. What does Constantin ask Esther to do when they go to his apartment?
4. Why does Esther like Doreen?
5. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)