|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
(a) He writes her a letter saying he could fall in love with her.
(b) He writes her a letter proposing marriage.
(c) He tells Buddy that he and Esther kissed.
(d) He graduates from college.
2. What is Esther's opinion of the movie she and the other girls are invited to see?
(a) She thinks it is over the top and trite.
(b) She is entranced by the Technicolor technology.
(c) She is annoyed by the costumes.
(d) She is drawn in by the romantic plot line.
3. What "trick" do Betsy, Hilda and the other girls learn at the fur show?
(a) How to repair a mink neckerchief using a gold chain
(b) How to purchase high quality furs for a low price
(c) How to make a neckerchief out of mink tails
(d) How to make an inexpensive fur coat look more expensive
4. Why doesn't Esther want her picture taken for the magazine?
(a) She doesn't like the paper rose that Jay Cee gave her to hold.
(b) She feels insulted by Jay Cee.
(c) She is about to begin crying.
(d) She doesn't like the way they styled her hair.
5. What keeps Esther from losing her virginity to Constantin?
(a) Constantin refuses to have sex with her.
(b) They fall asleep.
(c) She receives a phone call and must leave his apartment.
(d) She decides that she would rather wait until she is married.
6. What trait makes Esther admire Jay Cee?
(a) Her intelligence
(b) Her success
(c) Her looks
(d) Her directness
7. Which of the following best describes Lenny and Doreen's dancing?
8. Why does Doreen vomit on the carpet of the hotel hallway?
(a) She has the flu.
(b) She is upset that Lenny dumped her.
(c) She is drunk.
(d) She has food poisoning.
9. What did Esther do the first time she saw a finger bowl?
(a) She dipped her fingers in it to clean them.
(b) She asked her hostess what it was for.
(c) She panicked not knowing what to do with it.
(d) She ate the contents, thinking it was an exotic soup.
10. What nickname does Doreen give Betsy?
(a) Ugly as Sin
(b) Sweetheart of Sigma Chi
(c) Kansas Cowgirl
(d) Pollyanna Cowgirl
11. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
(a) She plans to stop by the library after talking with Buddy.
(b) She wants Buddy to see that she is a studious person.
(c) She does not know who is there to visit and plans to read her history book if he is boring.
(d) She does not know who is there to visit and wants to be able to go to the library if the boy is horrific.
12. What grade does Esther earn in her physics class?
13. What wakes Esther up later in the night?
(a) A phone call from Doreen.
(b) Betsy knocking on her door asking for her to come help Doreen.
(c) A nightmare about Doreen being hurt by Lenny.
(d) Doreen knocking on her door calling her.
14. What national event is Esther concerned with as the book opens?
(a) The bombing of Hiroshima
(b) The execution of the Rosenbergs
(c) The trial of the Rosenbergs
(d) The assassination of John F. Kennedy
15. How does Esther know Buddy?
(a) They attended the same boarding school.
(b) Their mothers are friends and they attend the same church.
(c) They attend the same college.
(d) They met at a party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
2. Why does Jody call Esther?
3. Why does Esther hope she will be paired up with Lenny instead of Frankie?
4. What is the first thing that Esther notices about Marco?
5. At what age does Esther say she stopped being "purely happy"?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)