|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What faux pas does Esther make with the bellman when she first arrives at the Amazon?
(a) She fails to thank him for carrying her bag to her room.
(b) She does not not tip him because she doesn't know she is supposed to.
(c) She ignores him because she is too busy looking out the window.
(d) She insults his uniform.
2. Who helped foster Esther's appreciation for fine food?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her grandfather
(d) Her grandmother
3. What keeps Esther from losing her virginity to Constantin?
(a) They fall asleep.
(b) Constantin refuses to have sex with her.
(c) She receives a phone call and must leave his apartment.
(d) She decides that she would rather wait until she is married.
4. What does Esther do when she returns to the Amazon the night that Marco attacks her?
(a) She takes a hot bath to wash away the memory.
(b) She returns home.
(c) She cries hysterically.
(d) She throws all of her clothes off of the roof.
5. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
(a) He is insensitive to her feelings about childbirth.
(b) He had kept his affair with the waitress a secret from her.
(c) He cheated on her with the waitress from Cape Cod.
(d) He was no longer a virgin.
6. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) She always earns A's in his courses.
(b) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
(c) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
(d) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
7. What marks the end of Esther's relationship with Eric?
(a) He writes her a letter saying he could fall in love with her.
(b) He writes her a letter proposing marriage.
(c) He graduates from college.
(d) He tells Buddy that he and Esther kissed.
8. What does Esther resolve to do during her summer at home?
(a) Gain life experience
(b) Break up with Buddy
(c) Take a summer course
(d) Write a novel
9. What does Esther liken the potential choices she has in life to?
(a) A racehorse
(b) A fig tree
(c) The UN
10. Who calls Esther early the morning after she became sick with food poisoning?
(a) Jay Cee
(b) Her mother
11. Why does Esther trade her robe to Betsy for a skirt and shirt?
(a) She has always coveted Betsy's green skirt.
(b) She threw all of her clothes of of the roof and has nothing to wear.
(c) She likes Betsy's clothes better than her own.
(d) She gave all of her clothes to Doreen and has nothing to wear.
12. How often does Buddy commit to seeing Esther once they begin dating?
(a) Every third weekend
(b) Once a month
(c) Every weekend
(d) Every other weekend
13. How does Esther feel about the cadavers that Buddy shows her?
(a) She is ambivalent.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is horrified.
(d) She is intrigued.
14. What does Marco give Esther?
(a) A diamond pin
(b) A stylish fan.
(c) A new puppy.
(d) A bottle of wine.
15. What does Jay Cee give Esther as she leaves for her lunch date with the two authors?
(a) A sealed envelope.
(b) A new dress.
(c) Some medication.
(d) A stack of manuscripts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Doreen vomit on the carpet of the hotel hallway?
2. What unusual gift does Buddy give Esther when she arrives in his room?
3. Why is Esther disturbed by Buddy's view of poetry?
4. What bothers Esther about the article "In Defense of Chastity"?
5. Why does Esther begin reading Finnegan's Wake?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)