|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Esther surprised when Buddy calls her at college?
(a) She had broken up with him and did not expect to hear from him.
(b) He usually writes letters because he is too cheap to pay for long distance.
(c) She rarely receives phone calls.
(d) He is angry at her and vowed never to speak to her again.
2. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
(a) She vomits in his cab.
(b) She tips him well below the standard rate.
(c) She criticizes his erratic driving.
(d) She fails to tip him because she does not understand she needs to tip service people.
3. What does Jay Cee give Esther as she leaves for her lunch date with the two authors?
(a) A sealed envelope.
(b) A stack of manuscripts.
(c) Some medication.
(d) A new dress.
4. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
(a) Esther believed she was a strong writer, but Jay Cee tells her she is not.
(b) Esther has no room in her senior schedule to take language courses.
(c) Esther cannot afford to take additional language courses.
(d) Esther believed that her thesis on Finnegan's Wake was her ticket to getting a job as an editor.
5. Why does Esther say she would never marry Buddy Willard?
(a) She is in love with Constantin.
(b) She believes he is a hypocrite.
(c) She hates Mrs. Willard and could not stand to be her daughter-in-law.
(d) She has no desire to marry anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do to help herself feel better after the botched night with Doreen and Lenny?
2. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
3. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
4. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
5. What does Lenny's apartment look like to Esther?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)