|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Esther let Doreen come into her room when she returns from Lenny's?
(a) She fears she will vomit on her bed.
(b) She is angry at Doreen for not accompanying her on the long walk back to the hotel.
(c) She is angry at Doreen for waking her up.
(d) She fears she will never get rid of her again.
2. What does Esther do while Mr. Manzi is lecturing in chemistry class?
(a) She pretends to be writing down the formulas he writes on the board.
(b) She writes down the formulas he writes on the board.
(c) She completes her Shakespeare class assignments.
(d) She daydreams.
3. Who is Philomena Guinea?
(a) The editor of Ladies' Day magazine.
(b) The novelist whose scholarship Esther has at college.
(c) A lady at the Scholarships Office at Esther's college.
(d) A famous novelist who is having lunch with Jay Cee.
4. How does Esther know Buddy?
(a) Their mothers are friends and they attend the same church.
(b) They attend the same college.
(c) They met at a party.
(d) They attended the same boarding school.
5. What does Jay Cee suggest that Esther do to distinguish herself from other women applying to be magazine editors?
(a) Create a compelling resume
(b) Learn several languages
(c) Double major in French and English in college
(d) Write non-traditional articles
Short Answer Questions
1. What is keeping Esther from telling Buddy that she has no intention of marrying him?
2. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
3. Who has Mrs. Willard promised to introduce Esther to in New York City?
4. What does Esther think may have caused Buddy's TB?
5. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)