|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Philomena Guinea?
(a) A lady at the Scholarships Office at Esther's college.
(b) The novelist whose scholarship Esther has at college.
(c) The editor of Ladies' Day magazine.
(d) A famous novelist who is having lunch with Jay Cee.
2. Why does Mr. Manzi like Esther so much?
(a) She asks interesting questions during his lectures.
(b) He believes she has a purely intellectual interest in science.
(c) He believes she has the skills and talent to be a successful science major.
(d) She always earns A's in his courses.
3. Why does Esther take her history book with her when she receives the phone call that Buddy is at her dorm?
(a) She plans to stop by the library after talking with Buddy.
(b) She does not know who is there to visit and plans to read her history book if he is boring.
(c) She does not know who is there to visit and wants to be able to go to the library if the boy is horrific.
(d) She wants Buddy to see that she is a studious person.
4. How does Buddy characterize poetry?
(a) He calls poems pieces of dust.
(b) He likens them to the cadavers he dissects in medical school.
(c) He sees them as capturing all the beauty there is in the world.
(d) He calls them worthless pieces of junk.
5. What disturbs Esther about the drug that the birthing mother is given?
(a) It was created by a man.
(b) It claims to alleviate pain, but actually only makes the woman forget her birth experience.
(c) t claims to make the woman forget the experience, but actually only alleviates pain.
(d) The woman is given the drug against her will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther do to offend the driver of the first cab she rides in?
2. What disheartens Esther the most about Jay Cee's suggestions for bolstering her career?
3. Why does Esther resolve to "ditch Buddy Willard for once and for all"?
4. Who is the only girl working at the magazine who does not get sick?
5. What does the Ladies' Day magazine staff send to the girls as gifts?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)