|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purple cloud Jake and the others can see covering the city in Chapter 6?
2. How long does Blaine tell Roland and his friends they have until the poisonous gas will be released in Lud in Chapter 39?
3. How does Roland find his way through the maze in Chapter 20?
4. What does one of the twins say fell out of the sky like Icarus in Chapter 9?
5. How does Roland say he knows they are being followed in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jake believe is the purpose of Blaine in their quest? What does Eddie see that places this purpose in jeopardy?
2. What does Blaine demand of Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 30 before he will agree to transport Roland and the ka-tet?
3. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
4. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
5. What does Jake dream in chapter 16? What impression is he left with afterward?
6. Who reports he once saw the train called Blaine in Lud? What did he see?
7. What happens to Roland in Chapters 19 and 23 as he navigates his way through the garbage maze to save Jake?
8. How does Roland get into the room to rescue Jake in Chapter 34?
9. What is the reaction of the people of River Crossing when they learn Roland is a gunslinger?
10. How do Susannah and Eddie finally reach Blaine's cradle in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 2
What is Blaine? What do Roland and his friends know about him? What more do they learn when they meet him? What does Blaine control? How did this come to be? Who wants to take over? Why does Blaine want to commit suicide? How does he plan to do this? How does Roland convince him to do something else? How does Blaine compare to Charlie and the Choo-Choo? What does that say about the book Jake bought in New York City? What about the book of riddles? How do riddles figure in the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)