|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Roland and his friends find in Chapter 5?
2. How does Blaine explain in Chapter 5 the images Roland and his friends are able to see, as though the train's walls have vanished?
3. Who bursts into the bunker and attacks Tick-Tock Man in Chapter 31?
4. Why does Blaine say he wants to kill himself in Chapter 9?
5. What does Roland ask Aunt Talitha to do for him and his friends in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the people of River Crossing when they learn Roland is a gunslinger?
2. In Chapters 5-6, what happens to Blaine's cabin walls? For what reason?
3. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
4. Why do Roland, Jake, Susannah, and Eddie suddenly find the book Charlie and the Choo-Choo so sinister in Chapters 23-24?
5. Who is Gasher? What does he want?
6. How does Roland get into the room to rescue Jake in Chapter 34?
7. What does the ending of the book say about the future of these characters?
8. What weakness does Jake discover in Gasher's personality in Chapter 25?
9. What does Blaine demand of Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 30 before he will agree to transport Roland and the ka-tet?
10. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following items and what they symbolize in the overall plot of the novel:
3) Book of Riddles
4) Charlie the Choo-choo
5) The gun of Jake's father
6) Roland's gun and gunbelt.
Essay Topic 2
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 3
What are the Beams? How are they going to lead Roland and his friends to the Dark Tower? What is the Dark Tower? What will happen when Roland and his friends reach the Dark Tower? How is Jake following the Beams while still in his own world? Does he know he is following the Beams? How does Roland know about the Beams? Where did Roland learn much of what he knows about the Dark Tower? Why will Roland not share his past with his friends? Is Roland trying to hide something? Explain.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)