|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roland ask Aunt Talitha to do for him and his friends in Chapter 13?
2. Why can Blaine not differentiate between fact and superstition?
3. Who claims to have heard a sonic boom after seeing Blaine running in Lud in Chapter 11?
4. What does Gasher stop to show Jake in Chapter 19?
5. What has Blaine created in ice that he shows Roland and his friends in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
2. How does Roland communicate with Jake in Chapter 31?
3. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
4. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
5. What weakness does Jake discover in Gasher's personality in Chapter 25?
6. What does the ending of the book say about the future of these characters?
7. What does Blaine demand of Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 30 before he will agree to transport Roland and the ka-tet?
8. Who is Gasher? What does he want?
9. What does Blaine tell Roland and his ka-tet is the reason he has decided to end his existence?
10. Who reports he once saw the train called Blaine in Lud? What did he see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Tick-Tock Man? What does he want from Jake? Why does he have Gasher kidnap Jake? What does Tick-Tock want Jake to give him as a gift? Who is Tick-Tock's father? What does that make Tick-Tock? Is Tick-Tock human? Is Tick-Tock a robot? How does the reader know? What would happen to the city if Tick-Tock got what he wanted? Is this helpful or harmful to Roland and his friends? Who shoots Tick-Tock? For what reason? Who offers to help Tick-Tock get revenge on Roland and his friends? What does this suggest for Roland and his friends' future?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)