|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roland believe Oy was pushed out of his pack in Chapter 15?
2. How long does Blaine tell Roland and his friends they have until the poisonous gas will be released in Lud in Chapter 39?
3. Who does Jake guess was Tick-Tock Man's grandfather in Chapter 28?
4. In what way did Tick-Tock Man kill the laughing woman?
5. Why does Blaine say he wants to kill himself in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blaine demand of Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 30 before he will agree to transport Roland and the ka-tet?
2. What does Jake believe is the purpose of Blaine in their quest? What does Eddie see that places this purpose in jeopardy?
3. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
4. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
5. How do Susannah and Eddie finally reach Blaine's cradle in Chapter 24?
6. Why do Roland, Jake, Susannah, and Eddie suddenly find the book Charlie and the Choo-Choo so sinister in Chapters 23-24?
7. What does Blaine tell Roland and his ka-tet is the reason he has decided to end his existence?
8. What do Jake's actions in Chapters 32-34 say about his character?
9. What does Jake dream in chapter 16? What impression is he left with afterward?
10. What does Roland tell his friends about the ka-tet in Chapter 19? What does Eddie realize after he hears this information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Tick-Tock Man? What does he want from Jake? Why does he have Gasher kidnap Jake? What does Tick-Tock want Jake to give him as a gift? Who is Tick-Tock's father? What does that make Tick-Tock? Is Tick-Tock human? Is Tick-Tock a robot? How does the reader know? What would happen to the city if Tick-Tock got what he wanted? Is this helpful or harmful to Roland and his friends? Who shoots Tick-Tock? For what reason? Who offers to help Tick-Tock get revenge on Roland and his friends? What does this suggest for Roland and his friends' future?
Essay Topic 3
What are the Beams? How are they going to lead Roland and his friends to the Dark Tower? What is the Dark Tower? What will happen when Roland and his friends reach the Dark Tower? How is Jake following the Beams while still in his own world? Does he know he is following the Beams? How does Roland know about the Beams? Where did Roland learn much of what he knows about the Dark Tower? Why will Roland not share his past with his friends? Is Roland trying to hide something? Explain.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)