|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims to have heard a sonic boom after seeing Blaine running in Lud in Chapter 11?
2. What does Susannah suddenly realize was left behind in Chapter 4?
3. How far does Blaine travel as related in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Jake briefly think about stepping on a trigger to a boobytrap in Chapter 19?
5. What does Susannah think in Chapter 3 made Roland turn inward on himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gasher take Jake?
2. What do Jake's actions in Chapters 32-34 say about his character?
3. What surprising things does Roland learn about Oy in Chapter 29?
4. In Chapters 5-6, what happens to Blaine's cabin walls? For what reason?
5. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
6. What does Jake dream in chapter 16? What impression is he left with afterward?
7. What does Susannah notice in the city in Chapter 18? What were they used for?
8. What are the most striking differences between the city of Lud and the underground bunker?
9. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
10. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Roland suffer from dual memories? What does this mean? What is the difference between Roland's two sets of memory? Who else suffers from dual memories? What does this say about this character's relationship with Roland? Which reality is true? Why are there more than one reality? Does the author ever fully explain these dual memories? What effect do these memories on the two characters who experience them? How do they learn to cope?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Susannah? What caused her to need a wheelchair? Who is she married to? Why does Susannah have difficulty learning to fire a gun? What does Roland do to make her shoot the gun? Who is Odetta? How did Susannah come to share her mind with Odetta? What does Odetta do to help Susannah and the others? What does this say about Odetta's character? What does it say about Susannah that she allows Odetta to share her mind?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)