|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Susannah and Eddie chose which way to go in the city of Lud on Chapter 18?
2. What does Eddie believe caused the crash?
3. What building is Susannah reminded of in Chapter 21 as she follows Maud and Jeeves to the Cradle of Lud?
4. What movie does Jake recall watching as he descends deeper under the city of Lud in Chapter 25?
5. What do Roland and his friends find in the cockpit of the plane in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roland communicate with Jake in Chapter 31?
2. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
3. What surprising things does Roland learn about Oy in Chapter 29?
4. What is the reaction of the people of River Crossing when they learn Roland is a gunslinger?
5. What weakness does Jake discover in Gasher's personality in Chapter 25?
6. Who reports he once saw the train called Blaine in Lud? What did he see?
7. What are the most striking differences between the city of Lud and the underground bunker?
8. What does Jake dream in chapter 16? What impression is he left with afterward?
9. What do Jake's actions in Chapters 32-34 say about his character?
10. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Tick-Tock Man? What does he want from Jake? Why does he have Gasher kidnap Jake? What does Tick-Tock want Jake to give him as a gift? Who is Tick-Tock's father? What does that make Tick-Tock? Is Tick-Tock human? Is Tick-Tock a robot? How does the reader know? What would happen to the city if Tick-Tock got what he wanted? Is this helpful or harmful to Roland and his friends? Who shoots Tick-Tock? For what reason? Who offers to help Tick-Tock get revenge on Roland and his friends? What does this suggest for Roland and his friends' future?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Roland and Susannah
2) Roland and Eddie
3) Roland and Jake
4) Susannah and Eddie
5) Eddie and Henry.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)