|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to two buildings on the outskirts of the town Roland and his friends come to in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Eddie fire a shot from his Ruger into the rain soaked sky in Chapter 27?
3. What does Gasher stop to show Jake in Chapter 19?
4. How does Blaine explain in Chapter 5 the images Roland and his friends are able to see, as though the train's walls have vanished?
5. How long does Blaine tell Roland and his friends they have until the poisonous gas will be released in Lud in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mercy lose her eyesight?
2. What wakes Jake four days after he comes to Roland's world?
3. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
4. What surprising things does Roland learn about Oy in Chapter 29?
5. Where does Gasher take Jake?
6. What weakness does Jake discover in Gasher's personality in Chapter 25?
7. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
8. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
9. What does Roland tell his friends about the ka-tet in Chapter 19? What does Eddie realize after he hears this information?
10. What does Susannah notice in the city in Chapter 18? What were they used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jake? What school does he go to? Why does Jake think he is going crazy? What does Jake write in the final days of school that he thinks is an example of his insanity? What does his teacher think of it? What does Jake take from his father's desk before he leaves home for good? Where does Jake go? For what reason? How does Jake cross over into Roland's world? Who helps him? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Roland suffer from dual memories? What does this mean? What is the difference between Roland's two sets of memory? Who else suffers from dual memories? What does this say about this character's relationship with Roland? Which reality is true? Why are there more than one reality? Does the author ever fully explain these dual memories? What effect do these memories on the two characters who experience them? How do they learn to cope?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)