|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Blaine explain in Chapter 5 the images Roland and his friends are able to see, as though the train's walls have vanished?
2. What is a monorail?
3. What has happened to two buildings on the outskirts of the town Roland and his friends come to in Chapter 4?
4. How does Roland say he knows they are being followed in Chapter 2?
5. Why does Roland insist they must split up in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roland tell his friends about the ka-tet in Chapter 19? What does Eddie realize after he hears this information?
2. In Chapters 5-6, what happens to Blaine's cabin walls? For what reason?
3. What surprising things does Roland learn about Oy in Chapter 29?
4. How does Roland communicate with Jake in Chapter 31?
5. What does Susannah notice in the city in Chapter 18? What were they used for?
6. What do Jake's actions in Chapters 32-34 say about his character?
7. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
8. Where does Gasher take Jake?
9. Who is Gasher? What does he want?
10. What does Jake believe is the purpose of Blaine in their quest? What does Eddie see that places this purpose in jeopardy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Eddie? Why has Eddie not carved in wood for many years? What made him stop? What made him start again? Why is Eddie ashamed of his talents? What important item does Eddie carve upon Jake's arrival in Roland's world? Does this item work? What does this say about Eddie's talents? Does Eddie miss his hometown? For what reason? What is Eddie's relationship with his brother like? How has impacted his life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of one of the following style tools in the novel in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Why does Eddie carve a key out of wood? What is the purpose of this key? Does Eddie understand the importance of the key when he first begins carving it? How does this key compare to the one Jake has in his world? What does the key do for Jake when he holds it? Does this work for Roland? Why or why not? What does this key open? Does it work the first time Eddie uses it? What happens? What might have happened if Eddie had not carved the key?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)