|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jake guess was Tick-Tock Man's grandfather in Chapter 28?
2. How can Blaine tell when Eddie or Susannah are lying to him?
3. How does Roland find his way through the maze in Chapter 20?
4. What does Eddie believe caused the crash?
5. What back beat does Eddie believe is playing from unseen source in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ending of the book say about the future of these characters?
2. Who reports he once saw the train called Blaine in Lud? What did he see?
3. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
4. What does Blaine demand of Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 30 before he will agree to transport Roland and the ka-tet?
5. What weakness does Jake discover in Gasher's personality in Chapter 25?
6. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
7. What does Jake believe is the purpose of Blaine in their quest? What does Eddie see that places this purpose in jeopardy?
8. What is the reaction of the people of River Crossing when they learn Roland is a gunslinger?
9. In Chapters 5-6, what happens to Blaine's cabin walls? For what reason?
10. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
Essay Topic 2
What is ka-tet? Who is a part of this ka-tet? Can each member of the ka-tet read one another's thoughts as Roland suggests they should? What is a palaver? Why does Roland insist that he and his friends participate in this tradition? What does it do to help the group? What does Roland learn during one of these palavers? What do the others learn about Roland during the palaver? Why does Roland refuse to talk about his past? Is Roland being hypocritical by refusing to talk about his own past while encouraging the others to talk about theirs?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Susannah? What caused her to need a wheelchair? Who is she married to? Why does Susannah have difficulty learning to fire a gun? What does Roland do to make her shoot the gun? Who is Odetta? How did Susannah come to share her mind with Odetta? What does Odetta do to help Susannah and the others? What does this say about Odetta's character? What does it say about Susannah that she allows Odetta to share her mind?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)