|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building is Susannah reminded of in Chapter 21 as she follows Maud and Jeeves to the Cradle of Lud?
2. How much time is left when Susannah begins entering the combination to open Blaine gate in Chapter 3?
3. Who does the guy Eddie shoots in Chapter 21 look like to Susannah?
4. What back beat does Eddie believe is playing from unseen source in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Jake briefly think about stepping on a trigger to a boobytrap in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
2. What does Roland tell his friends about the ka-tet in Chapter 19? What does Eddie realize after he hears this information?
3. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
4. What does Jake believe is the purpose of Blaine in their quest? What does Eddie see that places this purpose in jeopardy?
5. What happens to Roland in Chapters 19 and 23 as he navigates his way through the garbage maze to save Jake?
6. How does Roland communicate with Jake in Chapter 31?
7. In Chapters 5-6, what happens to Blaine's cabin walls? For what reason?
8. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
9. What do Jake's actions in Chapters 32-34 say about his character?
10. What does the ending of the book say about the future of these characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Beams? How are they going to lead Roland and his friends to the Dark Tower? What is the Dark Tower? What will happen when Roland and his friends reach the Dark Tower? How is Jake following the Beams while still in his own world? Does he know he is following the Beams? How does Roland know about the Beams? Where did Roland learn much of what he knows about the Dark Tower? Why will Roland not share his past with his friends? Is Roland trying to hide something? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What is ka-tet? Who is a part of this ka-tet? Can each member of the ka-tet read one another's thoughts as Roland suggests they should? What is a palaver? Why does Roland insist that he and his friends participate in this tradition? What does it do to help the group? What does Roland learn during one of these palavers? What do the others learn about Roland during the palaver? Why does Roland refuse to talk about his past? Is Roland being hypocritical by refusing to talk about his own past while encouraging the others to talk about theirs?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)