|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie see that he thinks is Blaine in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Jake begin to cry at the end of Chapter 13?
3. Why did Roland allow Gasher to take Jake as he explains it to Eddie in Chapter 15?
4. Who is Patricia?
5. What has happened to two buildings on the outskirts of the town Roland and his friends come to in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blaine tell Roland and his ka-tet is the reason he has decided to end his existence?
2. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Gasher? What does he want?
4. What is the reaction of the people of River Crossing when they learn Roland is a gunslinger?
5. How did Mercy lose her eyesight?
6. What does the ending of the book say about the future of these characters?
7. Who reports he once saw the train called Blaine in Lud? What did he see?
8. How does Roland communicate with Jake in Chapter 31?
9. What wakes Jake four days after he comes to Roland's world?
10. What does Susannah notice in the city in Chapter 18? What were they used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Eddie? Why has Eddie not carved in wood for many years? What made him stop? What made him start again? Why is Eddie ashamed of his talents? What important item does Eddie carve upon Jake's arrival in Roland's world? Does this item work? What does this say about Eddie's talents? Does Eddie miss his hometown? For what reason? What is Eddie's relationship with his brother like? How has impacted his life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
2) Structure of the novel
3) Language--mention the use of metaphor and simile, as well as specific language
Essay Topic 3
Who are Si and Mercy? Where did they come from? How does Roland feel about them? What do Roland and his friends learn about the city of Lud from these people? How does this information help Roland and his friends? How does it confirm something they already knew? What does Charlie and the Choo-Choo have to do with the city and the story Roland and his friends learn about it? Is this foreshadowing? Explain.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)