|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does Blaine travel as related in Chapter 4?
2. How long is it before Roland and his friends reach the outskirts of Lud?
3. What does the man who visits Tick-Tock Man in Chapter 40 ask Tick-Tock Man to call him?
4. What back beat does Eddie believe is playing from unseen source in Chapter 15?
5. What conclusion does Jake come to about Blaine during his dream in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the people of River Crossing when they learn Roland is a gunslinger?
2. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
3. Who is Gasher? What does he want?
4. What weakness does Jake discover in Gasher's personality in Chapter 25?
5. What are the most striking differences between the city of Lud and the underground bunker?
6. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
7. Where does Gasher take Jake?
8. What do Jake's actions in Chapters 32-34 say about his character?
9. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
10. How did Mercy lose her eyesight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of these themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Why does Eddie carve a key out of wood? What is the purpose of this key? Does Eddie understand the importance of the key when he first begins carving it? How does this key compare to the one Jake has in his world? What does the key do for Jake when he holds it? Does this work for Roland? Why or why not? What does this key open? Does it work the first time Eddie uses it? What happens? What might have happened if Eddie had not carved the key?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jake? What school does he go to? Why does Jake think he is going crazy? What does Jake write in the final days of school that he thinks is an example of his insanity? What does his teacher think of it? What does Jake take from his father's desk before he leaves home for good? Where does Jake go? For what reason? How does Jake cross over into Roland's world? Who helps him? For what reason?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)