|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is graf?
2. Why does Roland put a leash on Oy in Chapter 23?
3. What do Roland and his friends find in the cockpit of the plane in Chapter 1?
4. Who led the final army against the war in Lud as described in Chapter 10?
5. What does Roland call the bison like animals that Jake sees in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the most striking differences between the city of Lud and the underground bunker?
2. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
3. What does Blaine demand of Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 30 before he will agree to transport Roland and the ka-tet?
4. What happens to Roland in Chapters 19 and 23 as he navigates his way through the garbage maze to save Jake?
5. How do Susannah and Eddie finally reach Blaine's cradle in Chapter 24?
6. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
7. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
8. Why do Roland, Jake, Susannah, and Eddie suddenly find the book Charlie and the Choo-Choo so sinister in Chapters 23-24?
9. Who reports he once saw the train called Blaine in Lud? What did he see?
10. What surprising things does Roland learn about Oy in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Eddie? Why has Eddie not carved in wood for many years? What made him stop? What made him start again? Why is Eddie ashamed of his talents? What important item does Eddie carve upon Jake's arrival in Roland's world? Does this item work? What does this say about Eddie's talents? Does Eddie miss his hometown? For what reason? What is Eddie's relationship with his brother like? How has impacted his life?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Tick-Tock Man? What does he want from Jake? Why does he have Gasher kidnap Jake? What does Tick-Tock want Jake to give him as a gift? Who is Tick-Tock's father? What does that make Tick-Tock? Is Tick-Tock human? Is Tick-Tock a robot? How does the reader know? What would happen to the city if Tick-Tock got what he wanted? Is this helpful or harmful to Roland and his friends? Who shoots Tick-Tock? For what reason? Who offers to help Tick-Tock get revenge on Roland and his friends? What does this suggest for Roland and his friends' future?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)