|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion does Jake come to about Blaine during his dream in Chapter 16?
2. Who bursts into the bunker and attacks Tick-Tock Man in Chapter 31?
3. How long does Blaine tell Roland and his friends they have until the poisonous gas will be released in Lud in Chapter 39?
4. Whose voice does Mercy claim to enjoy listening to in Chapter 12?
5. How do Susannah and Eddie chose which way to go in the city of Lud on Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the drum beat that Roland and his ka-tet have been able to hear for days since beginning their approach to Lud? What becomes apparent about the purpose of this drum beat?
2. Who reports he once saw the train called Blaine in Lud? What did he see?
3. What does Roland tell his friends about the ka-tet in Chapter 19? What does Eddie realize after he hears this information?
4. What do Jake's actions in Chapters 32-34 say about his character?
5. How does Roland communicate with Jake in Chapter 31?
6. What does Jake dream in chapter 16? What impression is he left with afterward?
7. Where does Gasher take Jake?
8. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
9. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
10. What does Susannah notice in the city in Chapter 18? What were they used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jake? What school does he go to? Why does Jake think he is going crazy? What does Jake write in the final days of school that he thinks is an example of his insanity? What does his teacher think of it? What does Jake take from his father's desk before he leaves home for good? Where does Jake go? For what reason? How does Jake cross over into Roland's world? Who helps him? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of one of the following style tools in the novel in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)