|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
(b) Fights keep breaking out.
(c) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(d) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
2. What does this speaker ask of Bjarni?
(a) To notify his/her family.
(b) To trade places.
(c) To assume his/her responsibilities.
(d) To show mercy to the children.
3. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
(a) He was blown off course on his way to Norway.
(b) He had to leave because of some killings.
(c) On a mission from King Olaf Tryggvason.
(d) In search of new lands.
4. What does Thorbjorg tell Gudrid?
(a) She will start and great and eminent family line.
(b) Her paths all lead to Iceland.
(c) She will make a distinguished marriage that will not last long.
(d) All of the above.
5. How do the natives come the second time they visit Karsefni and his men?
(a) Native men arrive by dogsled.
(b) More traveling families arrive as they follow the river.
(c) More kids arrive on foot from a nearby settlement.
(d) A great horde of them approach by boat from the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
2. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
3. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
4. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
5. What does Karlsefni offer Eirik to cheer him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
2. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
3. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
4. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
5. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
6. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
7. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
8. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
9. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
10. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)