|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
(a) The natives show them how to plant corn.
(c) Karlsefni and his men show them their weapons.
(d) Karlsefni and his men give them gifts.
2. What does Sigrid see in her vision?
(a) Gardi trying to flog others with a whip.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The corpses of herself and Thorstein Eriksson.
(d) A line of corpses outside the house.
3. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
(a) By age.
(b) By rank.
(c) By size.
(d) By lottery.
4. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Tattered and loose fitting.
(b) Elaborate and ornate.
(c) Practical and common.
(d) Sparse and simple.
5. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
(a) Eirik no longer wanted him in Greenland.
(b) Karlsefni invited him along for his hunting skills.
(c) He had considerable experience in wild regions.
(d) To protect Eirik's son Thorvald.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freydis get left behind?
2. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
3. What drives the natives away from their second visit?
4. What is found in abundance on the island near Straumfjord?
5. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
2. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
3. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
4. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
5. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
6. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
7. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
8. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
9. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
10. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)