|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
(a) Marital problems.
(b) He misses his son Thorstein.
(c) He is reminded of his banishment from Iceland.
(d) He only has supplies to provide a meager Christmas for his guests.
2. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Fights keep breaking out.
(b) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
(c) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(d) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
3. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) They are trying to reach Vinland.
(b) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(c) They were banished from the other settlement.
(d) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
4. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He lavishes her with gifts.
(b) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
(c) He expresses his devotion to her.
(d) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
5. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
(a) Eirik no longer wanted him in Greenland.
(b) To protect Eirik's son Thorvald.
(c) Karlsefni invited him along for his hunting skills.
(d) He had considerable experience in wild regions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
2. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
3. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
4. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
5. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
2. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
3. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
4. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
5. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
6. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
7. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
8. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
9. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
10. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)