|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Karsefni and his crew learn about the natives?
(a) They knew of a land of Europeans.
(b) They had two kings, Avaldamon and Valdidida.
(c) All of the above.
(d) They lived in caves or holes in the ground.
2. Who is Thorgunna?
(a) The queen of Norway.
(b) A wealthy widow who gives Leif a ship.
(c) The woman Leif falls in love with and the mother of his son.
(d) Eirik the Red's sister.
3. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
(a) By rank.
(b) By lottery.
(c) By size.
(d) By age.
4. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
(a) Start making a map of the area.
(b) Report on the settlements sighted to the north.
(c) Find fresh water.
(d) Explore the country to the south.
5. What does this speaker ask of Bjarni?
(a) To trade places.
(b) To assume his/her responsibilities.
(c) To notify his/her family.
(d) To show mercy to the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
2. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
3. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
4. What do Karlsefni and his men see from their ship that make them think they have traveled as far from Straumfjord this way as they had the other way?
5. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
2. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
3. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
4. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
5. Explain why the small boat on Bjarni's ship would not sink while the large one was about to.
6. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
7. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
8. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
9. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
10. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)