|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
(a) On a mission from King Olaf Tryggvason.
(b) He was blown off course on his way to Norway.
(c) He had to leave because of some killings.
(d) In search of new lands.
2. What does Leif find in Vinland?
(a) Gold and lumber.
(b) Towns and ports.
(c) Wild wheat, vines, and maples.
(d) Gold, sheep, and wild game.
3. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
(a) A chieftan.
(b) The owner of a large farm.
(c) A former slave.
(d) All of the above.
4. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) A Norwegian merchant.
(b) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(c) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(d) The son of the Icelandic king.
5. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
(a) Marital problems.
(b) He only has supplies to provide a meager Christmas for his guests.
(c) He is reminded of his banishment from Iceland.
(d) He misses his son Thorstein.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
2. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
3. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
4. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
5. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
2. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
3. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
4. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
5. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
6. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
7. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
8. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
9. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
10. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)