|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
(a) The natives show them how to plant corn.
(c) Karlsefni and his men give them gifts.
(d) Karlsefni and his men show them their weapons.
2. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
(a) Thorstein and Leif.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Thorgunna and Thorstein Eiriksson.
(d) Thorstein Eiriksson and Eirik the Red.
3. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
(a) Red cloth.
(d) Dried fish.
4. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
(a) Half the people on board.
(b) Only about ten.
(c) All of them, but then no food or water.
(d) All but ten.
5. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
2. What do Karsefni and his crew learn about the natives?
3. Who was Thorhall?
4. What do Karlsefni and his men see from their ship that make them think they have traveled as far from Straumfjord this way as they had the other way?
5. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
2. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
3. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
4. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
5. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
6. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
7. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
8. Explain why the small boat on Bjarni's ship would not sink while the large one was about to.
9. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
10. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)