|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Thorhall?
(a) A cantankerous and unpopular trouble-maker.
(b) A swarthy huntsman.
(c) A close friend of Eirik's.
(d) All of the above.
2. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
(a) Wrecked sailors.
(b) Some men that abandoned Thorhall when he left to sail home.
(c) Two native boys.
(d) The body of Thorvald.
3. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) The son of the Icelandic king.
(b) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(c) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(d) A Norwegian merchant.
4. What does Thorgunna ask of Leif?
(a) To spread Christianity.
(b) To return with him to Greenland.
(c) To share the fortune he makes.
(d) To stay in the Hebrides with her.
5. Who is Thorgunna?
(a) Eirik the Red's sister.
(b) A wealthy widow who gives Leif a ship.
(c) The queen of Norway.
(d) The woman Leif falls in love with and the mother of his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
2. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
3. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
4. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
5. Where does Thorhall end up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
2. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
3. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
4. Explain why the small boat on Bjarni's ship would not sink while the large one was about to.
5. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
6. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
7. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
8. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
9. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
10. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)