|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
(a) Thorhall wanted to explore north, but Karlsefni thought they should sail south.
(b) A religious dispute.
(c) Thorhall claims Karlsefni is unjust and greedy.
(d) None of the above.
2. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
(a) The women cook together.
(b) They go hunting together.
(c) They fight.
(d) They trade many iron tools to the natives.
3. Who gives Gudrid the prophecy about her future?
(a) A prophetess in a dream.
(b) The overseer.
(c) Her dead husband.
(d) The corpse of Sigrid.
4. What does Leif find in Vinland?
(a) Gold and lumber.
(b) Gold, sheep, and wild game.
(c) Towns and ports.
(d) Wild wheat, vines, and maples.
5. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
(c) Help set up her tools.
(d) Encourage people to attend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
2. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
3. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
4. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
5. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
2. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
3. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
4. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
5. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
6. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
7. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
8. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
9. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
10. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)