|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
(a) Start making a map of the area.
(b) Report on the settlements sighted to the north.
(c) Find fresh water.
(d) Explore the country to the south.
2. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
(a) It was too large.
(b) It smelled terrible in the small house.
(c) It kept telling false prophecies.
(d) It keeps trying to get into bed with Thorstein Eriksson.
3. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
(a) An unidentifiable shape.
(b) Something glittering.
(c) A fog.
4. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
(a) He was blown off course on his way to Norway.
(b) He had to leave because of some killings.
(c) In search of new lands.
(d) On a mission from King Olaf Tryggvason.
5. What does Thorgunna ask of Leif?
(a) To spread Christianity.
(b) To stay in the Hebrides with her.
(c) To share the fortune he makes.
(d) To return with him to Greenland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
2. Who was Thorhall?
3. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
4. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
5. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
2. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
3. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
4. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
5. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
6. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
7. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
8. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
9. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
10. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)