|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gudrid not want to help Thorbjorg?
(a) She is shy.
(b) She considers the work beneath her.
(c) Because she is a Christian.
(d) Thorbjorg scares her.
2. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
(a) Two native boys.
(b) The body of Thorvald.
(c) Some men that abandoned Thorhall when he left to sail home.
(d) Wrecked sailors.
3. Who is Einar?
(a) The local cheiftan.
(b) A successful sea going trader.
(c) A very wealthy but mean man.
(d) Gudrid's foster father.
4. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her humor.
(c) Her height.
(d) Her beauty.
5. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
(a) Twenty heavily laden ships.
(b) One ship with a bare skeleton crew.
(c) Two ships with about forty men on each.
(d) One ship loaded with almost one hundred men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thorbjorn announce his departure to Greenland?
2. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
3. Who initializes the marriage between Karlsefni and Gudrid?
4. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
5. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
2. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
3. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
4. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
5. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
6. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
7. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
8. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
9. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
10. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)