|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
(a) Blesses her.
(b) Tells her future.
(c) Promises the wealthiest man in the land.
(d) Makes her a beautiful dress.
2. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
(a) Financial difficulties.
(b) To hide Gudrid from Einar.
(c) Political ambition.
(d) The prospect of adventure.
3. What do Karlsefni and his men see from their ship that make them think they have traveled as far from Straumfjord this way as they had the other way?
(a) None of the above.
(b) They see smoke from the settlement.
(c) The stars are the same.
(d) The same range of mountains they saw from Hope.
4. What drives the natives away from their second visit?
(a) One of Karlsefni's men gets angry in a trade dispute.
(b) A running and bellowing bull.
(c) An incoming storm.
(d) None of the above.
5. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
(a) None of the men wanted to go with Thorhall.
(b) Only nine men wanted to go with Thorhall, the rest with Karlsefni.
(c) The Christians wanted to go with Karlsefni, the others withThorhall.
(d) Karlsefni split the men so half would go with each ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
2. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
3. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
4. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
5. Why does Gudrid not want to help Thorbjorg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
2. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
3. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
4. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
5. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
6. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
7. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
8. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
9. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
10. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)