|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) He notices the black color of the earth.
(b) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
(c) Unipeds only defend rich land.
(d) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
2. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
(b) An unidentifiable shape.
(c) A fog.
(d) Something glittering.
3. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
(a) Arrowheads and pottery.
(b) Reports of a great bay.
(c) Grapes and wild wheat.
(d) A skin of fresh water.
4. Where does Thorhall end up?
(a) Enslaved in Ireland.
(b) Perished at sea.
(c) He stayed at the native settlement they had seen from a distance.
(d) He fled to the interior and was never seen again.
5. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) The son of the Icelandic king.
(b) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(c) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(d) A Norwegian merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
2. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
3. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
4. Who was Thorhall?
5. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
2. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
3. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
4. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
5. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
6. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
7. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
8. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
9. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
10. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)