|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
(a) A high seat with a cushion.
(b) An informal social greeting time.
(c) A service.
(d) A feast.
2. What is the nature of the Christmas feast Eirik the Red served Karlsefni and company?
(b) Stately and respectful.
(c) Lavish and beyond what most people had seen before.
(d) Identical to what he served for his son's wedding.
3. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
(a) With disappointment from Eirik.
(b) With anger from Thorbjorn.
(c) It was well received on all sides.
(d) Both fathers disapproved of the match.
4. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
(a) Wrecked sailors.
(b) Some men that abandoned Thorhall when he left to sail home.
(c) Two native boys.
(d) The body of Thorvald.
5. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
6. How does Thorbjorn announce his departure to Greenland?
(a) At a town meeting.
(b) By having his good friends spread the word.
(c) At a feast he throws for all his friends.
(d) He doesn't. He just leaves.
7. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
(a) No one but Gudrid and his slaves.
(c) Three entire ships of people.
(d) About thrity friends.
8. Who was Thorhall?
(a) A swarthy huntsman.
(b) A cantankerous and unpopular trouble-maker.
(c) A close friend of Eirik's.
(d) All of the above.
9. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
(a) A young Icelander who had traveled with Bjarni.
(b) A nobleman.
(c) The mother of three small children.
(d) A scared little girl.
10. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
(a) He was blown off course on his way to Norway.
(b) On a mission from King Olaf Tryggvason.
(c) He had to leave because of some killings.
(d) In search of new lands.
11. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
(a) Tells her future.
(b) Makes her a beautiful dress.
(c) Blesses her.
(d) Promises the wealthiest man in the land.
12. What does the glittering thing turn out to be?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A uniped.
(c) Metal armor.
(d) A streak of gold.
13. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
(a) To protect Eirik's son Thorvald.
(b) Karlsefni invited him along for his hunting skills.
(c) Eirik no longer wanted him in Greenland.
(d) He had considerable experience in wild regions.
14. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
(b) He notices the black color of the earth.
(c) Unipeds only defend rich land.
(d) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
15. What caused Bjarni Grimolfsson's ship to sink?
(a) Maggots in the water.
(b) It was old and falling apart.
(c) Poor repairs done at sea.
(d) It was over laden with cargo coming back from Vinland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thorgunna?
2. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
3. What do the natives have an use that impresses Karlsefni and his men?
4. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
5. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)