|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
(a) The Christians wanted to go with Karlsefni, the others withThorhall.
(b) None of the men wanted to go with Thorhall.
(c) Only nine men wanted to go with Thorhall, the rest with Karlsefni.
(d) Karlsefni split the men so half would go with each ship.
2. What does Leif find on his way home from Vinland?
(a) Shipwrecked seamen.
(b) A new bay on Greenland.
(c) An abandoned ship at sea.
(d) A dead whale floating at sea.
3. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
(c) Encourage people to attend.
(d) Help set up her tools.
4. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
(a) He realizes a settlement will never have peace from the natives.
(b) The group has lost too many men.
(c) Gudrid misses the people at Brattahlid.
(d) They have enough supplies to make them rich.
5. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
(a) Stay a Brattahlid with Eirik the Red.
(b) Go on a pilgrimage.
(c) Travel to Norway.
(d) Return to Iceland.
6. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
(a) Grapes and wild wheat.
(b) Reports of a great bay.
(c) Arrowheads and pottery.
(d) A skin of fresh water.
7. Why does Gudrid not want to help Thorbjorg?
(a) Thorbjorg scares her.
(b) She is shy.
(c) Because she is a Christian.
(d) She considers the work beneath her.
8. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
(a) Three entire ships of people.
(c) No one but Gudrid and his slaves.
(d) About thrity friends.
9. Why does Karlsefni sail North when he decides to leave Vinland?
(a) To ensure food as long as possible.
(b) Because he wants to complete a map of the coast.
(c) To depart from their point of arrival.
(d) To look for Thorhall.
10. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) He notices the black color of the earth.
(b) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
(c) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
(d) Unipeds only defend rich land.
11. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
(a) A chieftan.
(b) A former slave.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The owner of a large farm.
12. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
(b) He expresses his devotion to her.
(c) He lavishes her with gifts.
(d) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
13. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) Several islands of varying landscapes.
(c) A pod of strange whales.
(d) Settlements far to the north.
14. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
(a) To determine when the famine would end.
(b) To arrange matches.
(c) To bless the food.
(d) Because she is very popular.
15. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
(a) The mother of three small children.
(b) A scared little girl.
(c) A nobleman.
(d) A young Icelander who had traveled with Bjarni.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
2. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
3. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
4. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
5. Who were Haki and Hekja?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)