|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Gudrid the prophecy about her future?
(a) Her dead husband.
(b) The overseer.
(c) The corpse of Sigrid.
(d) A prophetess in a dream.
2. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
(a) She is too unwell.
(b) She had too many kinsmen who would disapprove of his abducting her and hunt him.
(c) He does not want to antagonize Eirik.
(d) He doesn't think it will be possible.
3. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
(a) It was well received on all sides.
(b) Both fathers disapproved of the match.
(c) With disappointment from Eirik.
(d) With anger from Thorbjorn.
4. What drives the natives away from their second visit?
(a) One of Karlsefni's men gets angry in a trade dispute.
(b) None of the above.
(c) A running and bellowing bull.
(d) An incoming storm.
5. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
(a) Travel to Norway.
(b) Stay a Brattahlid with Eirik the Red.
(c) Go on a pilgrimage.
(d) Return to Iceland.
6. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The owner of a large farm.
(c) A former slave.
(d) A chieftan.
7. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
(b) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(c) Fights keep breaking out.
(d) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
8. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
(a) He realizes a settlement will never have peace from the natives.
(b) The group has lost too many men.
(c) Gudrid misses the people at Brattahlid.
(d) They have enough supplies to make them rich.
9. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
(a) By size.
(b) By rank.
(c) By lottery.
(d) By age.
10. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
(a) About thrity friends.
(b) No one but Gudrid and his slaves.
(c) Three entire ships of people.
11. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
(b) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
(c) Unipeds only defend rich land.
(d) He notices the black color of the earth.
12. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
(a) Her humor.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her height.
(d) Her beauty.
13. What happens on the trip to Greenland?
(a) Bad weather.
(c) The death of Orm and his wife.
(d) All of the above.
14. What does Leif find in Vinland?
(a) Gold, sheep, and wild game.
(b) Gold and lumber.
(c) Towns and ports.
(d) Wild wheat, vines, and maples.
15. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Thorhall wanted to explore north, but Karlsefni thought they should sail south.
(c) A religious dispute.
(d) Thorhall claims Karlsefni is unjust and greedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
2. Who is Thorgunna?
3. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
4. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
5. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)