|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
(a) Wild wheat and grapes.
(b) Streams teeming with fish.
(c) A lake they can sail to up a river.
(d) All of the above.
2. What do Karlsefni and his men see when they are stopped at the lake?
(a) Nine skin boats approaching with natives waving sticks.
(b) Native warriors coming down the beach.
(c) A traveling band of native families.
(d) Children from a native settlement.
3. What does this speaker ask of Bjarni?
(a) To notify his/her family.
(b) To trade places.
(c) To assume his/her responsibilities.
(d) To show mercy to the children.
4. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
(a) He only has supplies to provide a meager Christmas for his guests.
(b) He is reminded of his banishment from Iceland.
(c) Marital problems.
(d) He misses his son Thorstein.
5. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
(a) Karlsefni took them prisoner.
(b) They fought, and several of Karlsefni's men are killed.
(c) Gudrid started converting them to Christianity.
(d) They stared at each other and then the natives left.
6. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
(a) A terrible storm.
(c) A disease.
7. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
(a) Explore the country to the south.
(b) Report on the settlements sighted to the north.
(c) Start making a map of the area.
(d) Find fresh water.
8. Why does Karlsefni sail North when he decides to leave Vinland?
(a) To look for Thorhall.
(b) To ensure food as long as possible.
(c) Because he wants to complete a map of the coast.
(d) To depart from their point of arrival.
9. How do the natives come the second time they visit Karsefni and his men?
(a) Native men arrive by dogsled.
(b) More kids arrive on foot from a nearby settlement.
(c) A great horde of them approach by boat from the South.
(d) More traveling families arrive as they follow the river.
10. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
(a) Karlsefni and his men chase it up North, but lose it.
(b) Karlsefni and his men kill it.
(c) It vanishes in a fog.
(d) One of the men wounds it and it dives into the water.
11. What does Thorbjorg tell Gudrid?
(a) All of the above.
(b) She will start and great and eminent family line.
(c) She will make a distinguished marriage that will not last long.
(d) Her paths all lead to Iceland.
12. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(b) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
(c) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
(d) Fights keep breaking out.
13. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
(a) Because she is very popular.
(b) To determine when the famine would end.
(c) To bless the food.
(d) To arrange matches.
14. What does Leif find on his way home from Vinland?
(a) Shipwrecked seamen.
(b) A new bay on Greenland.
(c) A dead whale floating at sea.
(d) An abandoned ship at sea.
15. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
(a) Because of all the discussions about Vinland at Brattahlid.
(b) He feels it is his obligation to the king of Norway.
(c) To escape Eirik's wrath about his marriage to Gudrid.
(d) Gudrid wants to see Vinland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
2. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
3. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
4. How does Freydis get left behind?
5. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)