|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thorbjorn's reaction when he hears of the potential match for Gudrid?
(a) He threatens to kill Einar.
(b) He is offended.
(c) He laughs heartily.
(d) He ponders carefully but decides he can do better.
2. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
(b) Fights keep breaking out.
(c) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
(d) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
3. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
4. What does Leif find on his way home from Vinland?
(a) Shipwrecked seamen.
(b) An abandoned ship at sea.
(c) A dead whale floating at sea.
(d) A new bay on Greenland.
5. What does the glittering thing turn out to be?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A streak of gold.
(c) Metal armor.
(d) A uniped.
6. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
(a) A cross.
(b) Three ships.
(c) His son.
(d) A fortune in cloth.
7. Who is Einar?
(a) The local cheiftan.
(b) Gudrid's foster father.
(c) A successful sea going trader.
(d) A very wealthy but mean man.
8. What does Sigrid see in her vision?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A line of corpses outside the house.
(c) Gardi trying to flog others with a whip.
(d) The corpses of herself and Thorstein Eriksson.
9. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
(a) About thrity friends.
(c) No one but Gudrid and his slaves.
(d) Three entire ships of people.
10. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
(a) Because of all the discussions about Vinland at Brattahlid.
(b) Gudrid wants to see Vinland.
(c) To escape Eirik's wrath about his marriage to Gudrid.
(d) He feels it is his obligation to the king of Norway.
11. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
12. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
(a) He only has supplies to provide a meager Christmas for his guests.
(b) He misses his son Thorstein.
(c) Marital problems.
(d) He is reminded of his banishment from Iceland.
13. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) Unipeds only defend rich land.
(b) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
(c) He notices the black color of the earth.
(d) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
14. What washes up on the shore over the winter when they are hungry?
(a) None of the above.
(b) An abandoned ship.
(c) A whale.
(d) Six sea lions.
15. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Comes bounding towards them.
(c) Dresses itself in armor.
(d) Dives into the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
2. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
3. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
4. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
5. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)