|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
(b) Help set up her tools.
(c) Encourage people to attend.
2. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
(a) It kept telling false prophecies.
(b) It was too large.
(c) It keeps trying to get into bed with Thorstein Eriksson.
(d) It smelled terrible in the small house.
3. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
(a) Gudrid misses the people at Brattahlid.
(b) They have enough supplies to make them rich.
(c) The group has lost too many men.
(d) He realizes a settlement will never have peace from the natives.
4. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
(a) No one but Gudrid and his slaves.
(b) Three entire ships of people.
(c) About thrity friends.
5. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her humor.
(d) Her height.
6. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
(a) Blesses her.
(b) Promises the wealthiest man in the land.
(c) Tells her future.
(d) Makes her a beautiful dress.
7. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
(a) In the Spring.
(b) Again and again over the Winter.
(c) Not again for almost two years.
(d) When they find another native settlement.
8. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
(a) That Karlsefni had married beneath him.
(b) The Gudrid's beauty would make Karlsefni miserable.
(c) That Gudrid is too spoiled.
(d) That she is an angel.
9. What do Karlsefni and his men see from their ship that make them think they have traveled as far from Straumfjord this way as they had the other way?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The same range of mountains they saw from Hope.
(c) The stars are the same.
(d) They see smoke from the settlement.
10. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
(a) Twenty heavily laden ships.
(b) One ship loaded with almost one hundred men.
(c) Two ships with about forty men on each.
(d) One ship with a bare skeleton crew.
11. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
(a) Gudrid wants to see Vinland.
(b) He feels it is his obligation to the king of Norway.
(c) Because of all the discussions about Vinland at Brattahlid.
(d) To escape Eirik's wrath about his marriage to Gudrid.
12. What do the natives have an use that impresses Karlsefni and his men?
(a) Dog sleds.
(b) A catapult like weapon.
(c) Great skill in hunting.
13. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A chieftan.
(c) A former slave.
(d) The owner of a large farm.
14. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
(a) Arrowheads and pottery.
(b) A skin of fresh water.
(c) Reports of a great bay.
(d) Grapes and wild wheat.
15. Why does Gudrid not want to help Thorbjorg?
(a) Because she is a Christian.
(b) She considers the work beneath her.
(c) She is shy.
(d) Thorbjorg scares her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
2. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
3. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
4. What do Karlsefni and his men see when they are stopped at the lake?
5. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)