|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorgunna ask of Leif?
(a) To stay in the Hebrides with her.
(b) To return with him to Greenland.
(c) To spread Christianity.
(d) To share the fortune he makes.
2. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
(a) Something glittering.
(b) An unidentifiable shape.
(d) A fog.
3. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
(a) That Karlsefni had married beneath him.
(b) The Gudrid's beauty would make Karlsefni miserable.
(c) That she is an angel.
(d) That Gudrid is too spoiled.
4. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
(a) In the houses Leif built.
(b) In houses they build near the lake.
(c) On the ship.
(d) At an abandoned native settlement.
5. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
(a) To hide Gudrid from Einar.
(b) The prospect of adventure.
(c) Financial difficulties.
(d) Political ambition.
6. How does Thorbjorn announce his departure to Greenland?
(a) He doesn't. He just leaves.
(b) By having his good friends spread the word.
(c) At a feast he throws for all his friends.
(d) At a town meeting.
7. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
(b) To claim the best land as his own.
(c) Into the wilderness and away from the Christians.
(d) Back to their countrymen at home.
8. What does Leif find in Vinland?
(a) Towns and ports.
(b) Gold, sheep, and wild game.
(c) Wild wheat, vines, and maples.
(d) Gold and lumber.
9. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
(a) A fortune in cloth.
(b) His son.
(c) Three ships.
(d) A cross.
10. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Practical and common.
(b) Tattered and loose fitting.
(c) Elaborate and ornate.
(d) Sparse and simple.
11. How old was Karlsefni's son when they left Vinland?
12. What does Karlsefni offer Eirik to cheer him up?
(a) None of the above.
(b) To use want he wanted from their cargos for Christmas feast.
(c) To take him on his next journey.
(d) To become like a son to him.
13. What does the glittering thing turn out to be?
(a) A streak of gold.
(b) A uniped.
(c) Metal armor.
(d) A waterfall.
14. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
(a) An informal social greeting time.
(b) A service.
(c) A high seat with a cushion.
(d) A feast.
15. What drives the natives away from their second visit?
(a) A running and bellowing bull.
(b) One of Karlsefni's men gets angry in a trade dispute.
(c) None of the above.
(d) An incoming storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
2. Who is Einar?
3. Who initializes the marriage between Karlsefni and Gudrid?
4. What does Thorbjorg tell Gudrid?
5. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)