|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gudrid not want to help Thorbjorg?
(a) Because she is a Christian.
(b) She considers the work beneath her.
(c) She is shy.
(d) Thorbjorg scares her.
2. How do the natives come the second time they visit Karsefni and his men?
(a) A great horde of them approach by boat from the South.
(b) More kids arrive on foot from a nearby settlement.
(c) More traveling families arrive as they follow the river.
(d) Native men arrive by dogsled.
3. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Practical and common.
(b) Elaborate and ornate.
(c) Tattered and loose fitting.
(d) Sparse and simple.
4. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
(a) He is hunting.
(b) He would not stay to see such pagan practices.
(c) He is afraid of Thorbjorg.
(d) He is arranging Gudrid's marriage.
5. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
6. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
(a) About thrity friends.
(c) No one but Gudrid and his slaves.
(d) Three entire ships of people.
7. What is found in abundance on the island near Straumfjord?
8. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
(a) Twenty heavily laden ships.
(b) Two ships with about forty men on each.
(c) One ship loaded with almost one hundred men.
(d) One ship with a bare skeleton crew.
9. Who gives Gudrid the prophecy about her future?
(a) The overseer.
(b) A prophetess in a dream.
(c) The corpse of Sigrid.
(d) Her dead husband.
10. Who is Thorgunna?
(a) A wealthy widow who gives Leif a ship.
(b) Eirik the Red's sister.
(c) The queen of Norway.
(d) The woman Leif falls in love with and the mother of his son.
11. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He expresses his devotion to her.
(b) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
(c) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
(d) He lavishes her with gifts.
12. In Eirik's saga, how does Leif encounter Vinland?
(a) He is chased by pirates, and finds it while fleeing from them.
(b) He is blown off course when he returns from Norway.
(c) Thorgunna tells him where it is.
(d) He follows an ancient trade route.
13. Why does Karlsefni sail North when he decides to leave Vinland?
(a) Because he wants to complete a map of the coast.
(b) To depart from their point of arrival.
(c) To look for Thorhall.
(d) To ensure food as long as possible.
14. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
(a) To hide Gudrid from Einar.
(b) The prospect of adventure.
(c) Political ambition.
(d) Financial difficulties.
15. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
(a) Comes bounding towards them.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Dresses itself in armor.
(d) Dives into the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
2. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
3. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
4. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
5. What does Leif find in Vinland?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)