|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thorbjorn announce his departure to Greenland?
(a) By having his good friends spread the word.
(b) He doesn't. He just leaves.
(c) At a town meeting.
(d) At a feast he throws for all his friends.
2. Who were Haki and Hekja?
(a) Icelandic friends of Karlsefni's.
(b) Two Scots given to Leif by the king of Norway.
(c) Boys who had been raised at Brattahlid.
(d) Two sailors who were also good runners.
3. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
(a) He is afraid of Thorbjorg.
(b) He is hunting.
(c) He would not stay to see such pagan practices.
(d) He is arranging Gudrid's marriage.
4. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
(a) The group has lost too many men.
(b) He realizes a settlement will never have peace from the natives.
(c) They have enough supplies to make them rich.
(d) Gudrid misses the people at Brattahlid.
5. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
(a) A lake they can sail to up a river.
(b) Streams teeming with fish.
(c) Wild wheat and grapes.
(d) All of the above.
6. Who initializes the marriage between Karlsefni and Gudrid?
(a) None of the above.
(d) Eirik the Red.
7. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
(a) He doesn't think it will be possible.
(b) She had too many kinsmen who would disapprove of his abducting her and hunt him.
(c) He does not want to antagonize Eirik.
(d) She is too unwell.
8. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
(a) A young Icelander who had traveled with Bjarni.
(b) A scared little girl.
(c) A nobleman.
(d) The mother of three small children.
9. What does Karlsefni offer Eirik to cheer him up?
(a) None of the above.
(b) To become like a son to him.
(c) To take him on his next journey.
(d) To use want he wanted from their cargos for Christmas feast.
10. Who is Einar?
(a) The local cheiftan.
(b) Gudrid's foster father.
(c) A very wealthy but mean man.
(d) A successful sea going trader.
11. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
(a) On a mission from King Olaf Tryggvason.
(b) He was blown off course on his way to Norway.
(c) He had to leave because of some killings.
(d) In search of new lands.
12. What is found in abundance on the island near Straumfjord?
13. What happens on the trip to Greenland?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) The death of Orm and his wife.
14. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
(a) A pod of strange whales.
(b) Several islands of varying landscapes.
(c) A ghost ship.
(d) Settlements far to the north.
15. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
(a) They fight.
(b) They go hunting together.
(c) The women cook together.
(d) They trade many iron tools to the natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freydis get left behind?
2. What does the glittering thing turn out to be?
3. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
4. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
5. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)