|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is found in abundance on the island near Straumfjord?
2. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Thorgunna and Thorstein Eiriksson.
(c) Thorstein Eiriksson and Eirik the Red.
(d) Thorstein and Leif.
3. What do Karlsefni and his men see from their ship that make them think they have traveled as far from Straumfjord this way as they had the other way?
(a) The stars are the same.
(b) The same range of mountains they saw from Hope.
(c) None of the above.
(d) They see smoke from the settlement.
4. Who initializes the marriage between Karlsefni and Gudrid?
(c) Eirik the Red.
(d) None of the above.
5. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
(a) A disease.
(d) A terrible storm.
6. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
(a) The body of Thorvald.
(b) Some men that abandoned Thorhall when he left to sail home.
(c) Two native boys.
(d) Wrecked sailors.
7. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
(a) Return to Iceland.
(b) Travel to Norway.
(c) Go on a pilgrimage.
(d) Stay a Brattahlid with Eirik the Red.
8. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(b) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
(c) They were banished from the other settlement.
(d) They are trying to reach Vinland.
9. Why does Gudrid not want to help Thorbjorg?
(a) She is shy.
(b) She considers the work beneath her.
(c) Thorbjorg scares her.
(d) Because she is a Christian.
10. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
(a) To bless the food.
(b) Because she is very popular.
(c) To determine when the famine would end.
(d) To arrange matches.
11. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
(a) The Christians wanted to go with Karlsefni, the others withThorhall.
(b) Karlsefni split the men so half would go with each ship.
(c) None of the men wanted to go with Thorhall.
(d) Only nine men wanted to go with Thorhall, the rest with Karlsefni.
12. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
(a) Karlsefni took them prisoner.
(b) They fought, and several of Karlsefni's men are killed.
(c) They stared at each other and then the natives left.
(d) Gudrid started converting them to Christianity.
13. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni invited him along for his hunting skills.
(b) To protect Eirik's son Thorvald.
(c) Eirik no longer wanted him in Greenland.
(d) He had considerable experience in wild regions.
14. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
(a) He is afraid of Thorbjorg.
(b) He would not stay to see such pagan practices.
(c) He is arranging Gudrid's marriage.
(d) He is hunting.
15. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Sparse and simple.
(b) Elaborate and ornate.
(c) Practical and common.
(d) Tattered and loose fitting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Freydis get left behind?
2. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
3. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
4. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
5. What do Karsefni and his crew learn about the natives?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)