|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the Christmas feast Eirik the Red served Karlsefni and company?
(a) Stately and respectful.
(b) Lavish and beyond what most people had seen before.
(c) Identical to what he served for his son's wedding.
2. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
(b) Red cloth.
(c) Dried fish.
3. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
(a) He is reminded of his banishment from Iceland.
(b) He only has supplies to provide a meager Christmas for his guests.
(c) Marital problems.
(d) He misses his son Thorstein.
4. How do the natives come the second time they visit Karsefni and his men?
(a) More traveling families arrive as they follow the river.
(b) More kids arrive on foot from a nearby settlement.
(c) A great horde of them approach by boat from the South.
(d) Native men arrive by dogsled.
5. What does Thorgunna ask of Leif?
(a) To share the fortune he makes.
(b) To spread Christianity.
(c) To return with him to Greenland.
(d) To stay in the Hebrides with her.
6. Who is Thorgunna?
(a) The woman Leif falls in love with and the mother of his son.
(b) A wealthy widow who gives Leif a ship.
(c) The queen of Norway.
(d) Eirik the Red's sister.
7. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) Several islands of varying landscapes.
(c) A pod of strange whales.
(d) Settlements far to the north.
8. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Karlsefni and his crew of Icelanders on one, Greenlanders on the other.
(c) Pagans on one and Christians on the other.
(d) Karlsefni's seamen were split evenly between the two ships to increase the chances of both arriving safely.
9. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
(a) Stay a Brattahlid with Eirik the Red.
(b) Return to Iceland.
(c) Travel to Norway.
(d) Go on a pilgrimage.
10. Where does Thorstein's ship next put in to land after it leaves Eiriksfjord?
11. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
(a) Help set up her tools.
(c) Encourage people to attend.
12. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
13. Where does Thorhall end up?
(a) He stayed at the native settlement they had seen from a distance.
(b) He fled to the interior and was never seen again.
(c) Enslaved in Ireland.
(d) Perished at sea.
14. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
(a) Karlsefni and his men chase it up North, but lose it.
(b) It vanishes in a fog.
(c) Karlsefni and his men kill it.
(d) One of the men wounds it and it dives into the water.
15. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
(a) His sons as fellow voyagers.
(b) Gudrid's hand in marriage.
(c) Land near his home in Greenland.
(d) To stay the winter at Brattahlid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
2. What do the natives have an use that impresses Karlsefni and his men?
3. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
5. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)