|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
(a) That she is an angel.
(b) That Karlsefni had married beneath him.
(c) The Gudrid's beauty would make Karlsefni miserable.
(d) That Gudrid is too spoiled.
2. What is the nature of the Christmas feast Eirik the Red served Karlsefni and company?
(a) Identical to what he served for his son's wedding.
(b) Stately and respectful.
(d) Lavish and beyond what most people had seen before.
3. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
(b) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
(c) He lavishes her with gifts.
(d) He expresses his devotion to her.
4. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
(a) Blesses her.
(b) Tells her future.
(c) Promises the wealthiest man in the land.
(d) Makes her a beautiful dress.
5. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
(a) A fortune in cloth.
(b) Three ships.
(c) His son.
(d) A cross.
6. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
(a) A service.
(b) A high seat with a cushion.
(c) A feast.
(d) An informal social greeting time.
7. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
(a) He misses his son Thorstein.
(b) He is reminded of his banishment from Iceland.
(c) Marital problems.
(d) He only has supplies to provide a meager Christmas for his guests.
8. Who were Haki and Hekja?
(a) Icelandic friends of Karlsefni's.
(b) Two Scots given to Leif by the king of Norway.
(c) Boys who had been raised at Brattahlid.
(d) Two sailors who were also good runners.
9. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
(b) Encourage people to attend.
(c) Help set up her tools.
10. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
(a) Some men that abandoned Thorhall when he left to sail home.
(b) Wrecked sailors.
(c) The body of Thorvald.
(d) Two native boys.
11. Where does Thorstein's ship next put in to land after it leaves Eiriksfjord?
12. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
(a) Streams teeming with fish.
(b) A lake they can sail to up a river.
(c) Wild wheat and grapes.
(d) All of the above.
13. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
(a) To arrange matches.
(b) Because she is very popular.
(c) To bless the food.
(d) To determine when the famine would end.
14. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(b) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
(c) Fights keep breaking out.
(d) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
15. What washes up on the shore over the winter when they are hungry?
(a) None of the above.
(b) An abandoned ship.
(c) Six sea lions.
(d) A whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
2. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
3. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
4. How old was Karlsefni's son when they left Vinland?
5. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)