|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(b) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(c) The son of the Icelandic king.
(d) A Norwegian merchant.
2. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
(b) To claim the best land as his own.
(c) Back to their countrymen at home.
(d) Into the wilderness and away from the Christians.
3. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) They are trying to reach Vinland.
(b) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
(c) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(d) They were banished from the other settlement.
4. How does Thorbjorn announce his departure to Greenland?
(a) At a town meeting.
(b) By having his good friends spread the word.
(c) At a feast he throws for all his friends.
(d) He doesn't. He just leaves.
5. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
(a) Three ships.
(b) His son.
(c) A cross.
(d) A fortune in cloth.
6. What happens on the trip to Greenland?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The death of Orm and his wife.
(c) Bad weather.
7. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
(a) In the houses Leif built.
(b) On the ship.
(c) At an abandoned native settlement.
(d) In houses they build near the lake.
8. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
(a) A disease.
(c) A terrible storm.
9. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
(a) Explore the country to the south.
(b) Start making a map of the area.
(c) Find fresh water.
(d) Report on the settlements sighted to the north.
10. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
(a) Several islands of varying landscapes.
(b) A pod of strange whales.
(c) A ghost ship.
(d) Settlements far to the north.
11. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her height.
(c) Her humor.
(d) Her beauty.
12. What does this speaker ask of Bjarni?
(a) To assume his/her responsibilities.
(b) To trade places.
(c) To show mercy to the children.
(d) To notify his/her family.
13. Where does Thorstein's ship next put in to land after it leaves Eiriksfjord?
14. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
(a) They have enough supplies to make them rich.
(b) He realizes a settlement will never have peace from the natives.
(c) The group has lost too many men.
(d) Gudrid misses the people at Brattahlid.
15. What does Sigrid see in her vision?
(a) A line of corpses outside the house.
(b) Gardi trying to flog others with a whip.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The corpses of herself and Thorstein Eriksson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
2. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
3. What is Thorbjorn's reaction when he hears of the potential match for Gudrid?
4. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
5. Where does Thorhall end up?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)