|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
(a) The women cook together.
(b) They trade many iron tools to the natives.
(c) They fight.
(d) They go hunting together.
2. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
3. What does Leif find on his way home from Vinland?
(a) An abandoned ship at sea.
(b) Shipwrecked seamen.
(c) A new bay on Greenland.
(d) A dead whale floating at sea.
4. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
(a) In the Spring.
(b) When they find another native settlement.
(c) Again and again over the Winter.
(d) Not again for almost two years.
5. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
(a) To arrange matches.
(b) To determine when the famine would end.
(c) Because she is very popular.
(d) To bless the food.
6. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
(a) A young Icelander who had traveled with Bjarni.
(b) A scared little girl.
(c) The mother of three small children.
(d) A nobleman.
7. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
(a) The Christians wanted to go with Karlsefni, the others withThorhall.
(b) None of the men wanted to go with Thorhall.
(c) Karlsefni split the men so half would go with each ship.
(d) Only nine men wanted to go with Thorhall, the rest with Karlsefni.
8. What do Karlsefni and his men see when they are stopped at the lake?
(a) Nine skin boats approaching with natives waving sticks.
(b) Native warriors coming down the beach.
(c) Children from a native settlement.
(d) A traveling band of native families.
9. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
(c) Dried fish.
(d) Red cloth.
10. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
(a) Return to Iceland.
(b) Stay a Brattahlid with Eirik the Red.
(c) Travel to Norway.
(d) Go on a pilgrimage.
11. What does Karlsefni offer Eirik to cheer him up?
(a) To take him on his next journey.
(b) None of the above.
(c) To use want he wanted from their cargos for Christmas feast.
(d) To become like a son to him.
12. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
(a) They stared at each other and then the natives left.
(b) They fought, and several of Karlsefni's men are killed.
(c) Karlsefni took them prisoner.
(d) Gudrid started converting them to Christianity.
13. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
(a) Because of all the discussions about Vinland at Brattahlid.
(b) Gudrid wants to see Vinland.
(c) To escape Eirik's wrath about his marriage to Gudrid.
(d) He feels it is his obligation to the king of Norway.
14. What does Thorgunna ask of Leif?
(a) To spread Christianity.
(b) To stay in the Hebrides with her.
(c) To return with him to Greenland.
(d) To share the fortune he makes.
15. Who were Haki and Hekja?
(a) Boys who had been raised at Brattahlid.
(b) Two Scots given to Leif by the king of Norway.
(c) Icelandic friends of Karlsefni's.
(d) Two sailors who were also good runners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thorbjorn's reaction when he hears of the potential match for Gudrid?
2. What does the uniped do to Thorvald?
3. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
4. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
5. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)