|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
(a) They stared at each other and then the natives left.
(b) Karlsefni took them prisoner.
(c) They fought, and several of Karlsefni's men are killed.
(d) Gudrid started converting them to Christianity.
2. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
(a) He doesn't think it will be possible.
(b) She had too many kinsmen who would disapprove of his abducting her and hunt him.
(c) He does not want to antagonize Eirik.
(d) She is too unwell.
3. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
(a) When they find another native settlement.
(b) Again and again over the Winter.
(c) Not again for almost two years.
(d) In the Spring.
4. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) The son of the Icelandic king.
(b) A Norwegian merchant.
(c) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(d) An embassador from the king of Norway.
5. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
(a) Settlements far to the north.
(b) A ghost ship.
(c) A pod of strange whales.
(d) Several islands of varying landscapes.
6. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
(a) A scared little girl.
(b) A young Icelander who had traveled with Bjarni.
(c) A nobleman.
(d) The mother of three small children.
7. What caused Bjarni Grimolfsson's ship to sink?
(a) It was old and falling apart.
(b) Maggots in the water.
(c) It was over laden with cargo coming back from Vinland.
(d) Poor repairs done at sea.
8. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
(a) He misses his son Thorstein.
(b) He is reminded of his banishment from Iceland.
(c) Marital problems.
(d) He only has supplies to provide a meager Christmas for his guests.
9. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
(a) It smelled terrible in the small house.
(b) It kept telling false prophecies.
(c) It keeps trying to get into bed with Thorstein Eriksson.
(d) It was too large.
10. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
(a) To escape Eirik's wrath about his marriage to Gudrid.
(b) Because of all the discussions about Vinland at Brattahlid.
(c) He feels it is his obligation to the king of Norway.
(d) Gudrid wants to see Vinland.
11. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
(a) It vanishes in a fog.
(b) Karlsefni and his men chase it up North, but lose it.
(c) One of the men wounds it and it dives into the water.
(d) Karlsefni and his men kill it.
12. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Tattered and loose fitting.
(b) Practical and common.
(c) Sparse and simple.
(d) Elaborate and ornate.
13. Who was Thorhall?
(a) A cantankerous and unpopular trouble-maker.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A swarthy huntsman.
(d) A close friend of Eirik's.
14. Who is Thorgunna?
(a) Eirik the Red's sister.
(b) The woman Leif falls in love with and the mother of his son.
(c) The queen of Norway.
(d) A wealthy widow who gives Leif a ship.
15. What does Leif find on his way home from Vinland?
(a) A new bay on Greenland.
(b) A dead whale floating at sea.
(c) An abandoned ship at sea.
(d) Shipwrecked seamen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
2. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
3. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
4. Where does Thorhall end up?
5. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)