|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He expresses his devotion to her.
(b) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
(c) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
(d) He lavishes her with gifts.
2. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
(a) She had too many kinsmen who would disapprove of his abducting her and hunt him.
(b) She is too unwell.
(c) He doesn't think it will be possible.
(d) He does not want to antagonize Eirik.
3. What does Leif find in Vinland?
(a) Towns and ports.
(b) Wild wheat, vines, and maples.
(c) Gold, sheep, and wild game.
(d) Gold and lumber.
4. How old was Karlsefni's son when they left Vinland?
5. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
(a) Karlsefni and his men show them their weapons.
(b) Karlsefni and his men give them gifts.
(d) The natives show them how to plant corn.
6. Who initializes the marriage between Karlsefni and Gudrid?
(b) Eirik the Red.
(c) None of the above.
7. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
(a) He was blown off course on his way to Norway.
(b) He had to leave because of some killings.
(c) On a mission from King Olaf Tryggvason.
(d) In search of new lands.
8. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
(a) A chieftan.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The owner of a large farm.
(d) A former slave.
9. What does the glittering thing turn out to be?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A streak of gold.
(c) Metal armor.
(d) A uniped.
10. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
(a) That he could have anything he wanted from their cargos.
(b) Their cargo for his home.
(c) To introduce him to the king of Norway.
(d) A share in their business.
11. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
(a) Arrowheads and pottery.
(b) Reports of a great bay.
(c) Grapes and wild wheat.
(d) A skin of fresh water.
12. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
(a) Tells her future.
(b) Promises the wealthiest man in the land.
(c) Blesses her.
(d) Makes her a beautiful dress.
13. Who is Einar?
(a) A very wealthy but mean man.
(b) The local cheiftan.
(c) A successful sea going trader.
(d) Gudrid's foster father.
14. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
(a) A disease.
(c) A terrible storm.
15. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) The son of the Icelandic king.
(b) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(c) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(d) A Norwegian merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Eirik's saga, how does Leif encounter Vinland?
2. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
3. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
4. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
5. What drives the natives away from their second visit?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)