|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does this speaker ask of Bjarni?
(a) To trade places.
(b) To assume his/her responsibilities.
(c) To show mercy to the children.
(d) To notify his/her family.
2. What is the nature of the Christmas feast Eirik the Red served Karlsefni and company?
(b) Stately and respectful.
(c) Identical to what he served for his son's wedding.
(d) Lavish and beyond what most people had seen before.
3. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Karlsefni and his crew of Icelanders on one, Greenlanders on the other.
(c) Pagans on one and Christians on the other.
(d) Karlsefni's seamen were split evenly between the two ships to increase the chances of both arriving safely.
4. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(b) The son of the Icelandic king.
(c) A Norwegian merchant.
(d) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
5. What do Karlsefni and his men see when they are stopped at the lake?
(a) Nine skin boats approaching with natives waving sticks.
(b) A traveling band of native families.
(c) Native warriors coming down the beach.
(d) Children from a native settlement.
6. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
(a) A feast.
(b) An informal social greeting time.
(c) A service.
(d) A high seat with a cushion.
7. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Wild wheat and grapes.
(c) A lake they can sail to up a river.
(d) Streams teeming with fish.
8. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
(a) Find fresh water.
(b) Start making a map of the area.
(c) Explore the country to the south.
(d) Report on the settlements sighted to the north.
9. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Dresses itself in armor.
(c) Dives into the water.
(d) Comes bounding towards them.
10. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
11. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
(a) All but ten.
(b) Half the people on board.
(c) Only about ten.
(d) All of them, but then no food or water.
12. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Fights keep breaking out.
(b) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(c) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
(d) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
13. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
(a) To claim the best land as his own.
(c) Back to their countrymen at home.
(d) Into the wilderness and away from the Christians.
14. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Elaborate and ornate.
(b) Practical and common.
(c) Tattered and loose fitting.
(d) Sparse and simple.
15. Where does Thorstein's ship next put in to land after it leaves Eiriksfjord?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
2. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
4. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
5. In Eirik's saga, how does Leif encounter Vinland?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)