|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
(a) They have enough supplies to make them rich.
(b) Gudrid misses the people at Brattahlid.
(c) The group has lost too many men.
(d) He realizes a settlement will never have peace from the natives.
2. What does the glittering thing turn out to be?
(a) A streak of gold.
(b) Metal armor.
(c) A uniped.
(d) A waterfall.
3. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
(a) Thorstein Eiriksson and Eirik the Red.
(b) Thorstein and Leif.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Thorgunna and Thorstein Eiriksson.
4. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Thorhall claims Karlsefni is unjust and greedy.
(c) Thorhall wanted to explore north, but Karlsefni thought they should sail south.
(d) A religious dispute.
5. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
(a) A scared little girl.
(b) A nobleman.
(c) A young Icelander who had traveled with Bjarni.
(d) The mother of three small children.
6. Who were Haki and Hekja?
(a) Two sailors who were also good runners.
(b) Two Scots given to Leif by the king of Norway.
(c) Icelandic friends of Karlsefni's.
(d) Boys who had been raised at Brattahlid.
7. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
(a) Blesses her.
(b) Makes her a beautiful dress.
(c) Promises the wealthiest man in the land.
(d) Tells her future.
8. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
(a) By lottery.
(b) By age.
(c) By rank.
(d) By size.
9. What does Gudrid do after Thorbjorn Vifilsson dies?
(a) Return to Iceland.
(b) Travel to Norway.
(c) Stay a Brattahlid with Eirik the Red.
(d) Go on a pilgrimage.
10. What do Karsefni and his crew learn about the natives?
(a) All of the above.
(b) They had two kings, Avaldamon and Valdidida.
(c) They lived in caves or holes in the ground.
(d) They knew of a land of Europeans.
11. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
(a) The body of Thorvald.
(b) Two native boys.
(c) Wrecked sailors.
(d) Some men that abandoned Thorhall when he left to sail home.
12. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) They were banished from the other settlement.
(b) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(c) They are trying to reach Vinland.
(d) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
13. What is found in abundance on the island near Straumfjord?
14. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
(a) Her humor.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her height.
15. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
(a) They fight.
(b) The women cook together.
(c) They go hunting together.
(d) They trade many iron tools to the natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leif find in Vinland?
2. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
3. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
4. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
5. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)