|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
(a) He would not stay to see such pagan practices.
(b) He is hunting.
(c) He is afraid of Thorbjorg.
(d) He is arranging Gudrid's marriage.
2. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
(a) Twenty heavily laden ships.
(b) Two ships with about forty men on each.
(c) One ship loaded with almost one hundred men.
(d) One ship with a bare skeleton crew.
3. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
(a) Reports of a great bay.
(b) A skin of fresh water.
(c) Arrowheads and pottery.
(d) Grapes and wild wheat.
4. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Thorstein and Leif.
(c) Thorstein Eiriksson and Eirik the Red.
(d) Thorgunna and Thorstein Eiriksson.
5. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
(a) When they find another native settlement.
(b) Again and again over the Winter.
(c) Not again for almost two years.
(d) In the Spring.
6. What does Thorgunna ask of Leif?
(a) To stay in the Hebrides with her.
(b) To spread Christianity.
(c) To return with him to Greenland.
(d) To share the fortune he makes.
7. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
(a) A fortune in cloth.
(b) His son.
(c) Three ships.
(d) A cross.
8. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
(a) Because she is very popular.
(b) To arrange matches.
(c) To determine when the famine would end.
(d) To bless the food.
9. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
(a) Karlsefni and his men chase it up North, but lose it.
(b) One of the men wounds it and it dives into the water.
(c) It vanishes in a fog.
(d) Karlsefni and his men kill it.
10. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
(a) A service.
(b) An informal social greeting time.
(c) A feast.
(d) A high seat with a cushion.
11. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
(a) Pagans on one and Christians on the other.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Karlsefni and his crew of Icelanders on one, Greenlanders on the other.
(d) Karlsefni's seamen were split evenly between the two ships to increase the chances of both arriving safely.
12. In Eirik's saga, how does Leif encounter Vinland?
(a) He follows an ancient trade route.
(b) Thorgunna tells him where it is.
(c) He is blown off course when he returns from Norway.
(d) He is chased by pirates, and finds it while fleeing from them.
13. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
(a) Streams teeming with fish.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A lake they can sail to up a river.
(d) Wild wheat and grapes.
14. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
(a) To claim the best land as his own.
(c) Back to their countrymen at home.
(d) Into the wilderness and away from the Christians.
15. What does the king of Norway ask Leif to do upon his return to Greenland?
(a) Spread Christianity.
(b) Act as his embassador to Greenland.
(c) Claim Vinland for Norway.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
2. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
3. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
4. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
5. What does this speaker ask of Bjarni?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)