|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
(a) Thorhall claims Karlsefni is unjust and greedy.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Thorhall wanted to explore north, but Karlsefni thought they should sail south.
(d) A religious dispute.
2. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
(a) It vanishes in a fog.
(b) Karlsefni and his men kill it.
(c) One of the men wounds it and it dives into the water.
(d) Karlsefni and his men chase it up North, but lose it.
3. What does Thorbjorg tell Gudrid?
(a) Her paths all lead to Iceland.
(b) She will start and great and eminent family line.
(c) She will make a distinguished marriage that will not last long.
(d) All of the above.
4. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
(a) The body of Thorvald.
(b) Some men that abandoned Thorhall when he left to sail home.
(c) Two native boys.
(d) Wrecked sailors.
5. Where does Thorhall end up?
(a) Perished at sea.
(b) He stayed at the native settlement they had seen from a distance.
(c) He fled to the interior and was never seen again.
(d) Enslaved in Ireland.
6. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
(a) In houses they build near the lake.
(b) In the houses Leif built.
(c) At an abandoned native settlement.
(d) On the ship.
7. Why is Thorbjorg invited to the feast at Herjolfsness.
(a) Because she is very popular.
(b) To arrange matches.
(c) To determine when the famine would end.
(d) To bless the food.
8. Who gives Gudrid the prophecy about her future?
(a) Her dead husband.
(b) The overseer.
(c) The corpse of Sigrid.
(d) A prophetess in a dream.
9. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
(a) In the Spring.
(b) Not again for almost two years.
(c) Again and again over the Winter.
(d) When they find another native settlement.
10. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
(a) Streams teeming with fish.
(b) A lake they can sail to up a river.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Wild wheat and grapes.
11. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
(a) It was well received on all sides.
(b) With anger from Thorbjorn.
(c) With disappointment from Eirik.
(d) Both fathers disapproved of the match.
12. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Practical and common.
(b) Tattered and loose fitting.
(c) Sparse and simple.
(d) Elaborate and ornate.
13. What does this speaker ask of Bjarni?
(a) To trade places.
(b) To assume his/her responsibilities.
(c) To notify his/her family.
(d) To show mercy to the children.
14. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
(a) Thorgunna and Thorstein Eiriksson.
(b) Thorstein Eiriksson and Eirik the Red.
(c) Thorstein and Leif.
(d) None of the above.
15. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
(a) Their cargo for his home.
(b) That he could have anything he wanted from their cargos.
(c) A share in their business.
(d) To introduce him to the king of Norway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Thorhall?
2. What do Karsefni and his crew learn about the natives?
3. Who initializes the marriage between Karlsefni and Gudrid?
4. How old was Karlsefni's son when they left Vinland?
5. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)