|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
(b) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
(c) Unipeds only defend rich land.
(d) He notices the black color of the earth.
2. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
(a) She is too unwell.
(b) He doesn't think it will be possible.
(c) He does not want to antagonize Eirik.
(d) She had too many kinsmen who would disapprove of his abducting her and hunt him.
3. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Karlsefni and his crew of Icelanders on one, Greenlanders on the other.
(c) Karlsefni's seamen were split evenly between the two ships to increase the chances of both arriving safely.
(d) Pagans on one and Christians on the other.
4. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
(a) He had considerable experience in wild regions.
(b) Eirik no longer wanted him in Greenland.
(c) Karlsefni invited him along for his hunting skills.
(d) To protect Eirik's son Thorvald.
5. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He expresses his devotion to her.
(b) He lavishes her with gifts.
(c) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
(d) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
6. How does Freydis get left behind?
(a) She is pregnant and can't keep up when they flee.
(b) She refuses to leave the safety of the ship.
(c) She wants to stay and fight the natives.
(d) She claims the natives are friendly.
7. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
(a) The Christians wanted to go with Karlsefni, the others withThorhall.
(b) Only nine men wanted to go with Thorhall, the rest with Karlsefni.
(c) Karlsefni split the men so half would go with each ship.
(d) None of the men wanted to go with Thorhall.
8. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
(b) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(c) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
(d) Fights keep breaking out.
9. Who is Einar?
(a) The local cheiftan.
(b) Gudrid's foster father.
(c) A successful sea going trader.
(d) A very wealthy but mean man.
10. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) They were banished from the other settlement.
(b) They are trying to reach Vinland.
(c) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(d) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
11. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
(a) Karlsefni and his men give them gifts.
(b) The natives show them how to plant corn.
(c) Karlsefni and his men show them their weapons.
12. In Eirik's saga, how does Leif encounter Vinland?
(a) He is blown off course when he returns from Norway.
(b) He follows an ancient trade route.
(c) He is chased by pirates, and finds it while fleeing from them.
(d) Thorgunna tells him where it is.
13. How do the natives come the second time they visit Karsefni and his men?
(a) More kids arrive on foot from a nearby settlement.
(b) Native men arrive by dogsled.
(c) More traveling families arrive as they follow the river.
(d) A great horde of them approach by boat from the South.
14. What does Thorbjorg tell Gudrid?
(a) She will make a distinguished marriage that will not last long.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Her paths all lead to Iceland.
(d) She will start and great and eminent family line.
15. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
(a) Dresses itself in armor.
(b) Dives into the water.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Comes bounding towards them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
2. What do the natives have an use that impresses Karlsefni and his men?
3. What do Karlsefni and his men see from their ship that make them think they have traveled as far from Straumfjord this way as they had the other way?
4. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
5. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)