|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
2. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
(b) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(c) They are trying to reach Vinland.
(d) They were banished from the other settlement.
3. What washes up on the shore over the winter when they are hungry?
(a) Six sea lions.
(b) A whale.
(c) None of the above.
(d) An abandoned ship.
4. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
(a) A feast.
(b) An informal social greeting time.
(c) A high seat with a cushion.
(d) A service.
5. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
(a) Karlsefni and his men show them their weapons.
(b) The natives show them how to plant corn.
(d) Karlsefni and his men give them gifts.
6. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
(a) He would not stay to see such pagan practices.
(b) He is hunting.
(c) He is arranging Gudrid's marriage.
(d) He is afraid of Thorbjorg.
7. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
(b) He expresses his devotion to her.
(c) He lavishes her with gifts.
(d) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
8. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
(a) In search of new lands.
(b) On a mission from King Olaf Tryggvason.
(c) He had to leave because of some killings.
(d) He was blown off course on his way to Norway.
9. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
(a) To introduce him to the king of Norway.
(b) A share in their business.
(c) Their cargo for his home.
(d) That he could have anything he wanted from their cargos.
10. What is Thorbjorn's reaction when he hears of the potential match for Gudrid?
(a) He ponders carefully but decides he can do better.
(b) He laughs heartily.
(c) He is offended.
(d) He threatens to kill Einar.
11. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
(a) To stay the winter at Brattahlid.
(b) Gudrid's hand in marriage.
(c) His sons as fellow voyagers.
(d) Land near his home in Greenland.
12. Who is Einar?
(a) The local cheiftan.
(b) A very wealthy but mean man.
(c) Gudrid's foster father.
(d) A successful sea going trader.
13. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) A Norwegian merchant.
(b) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(c) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(d) The son of the Icelandic king.
14. Where does Thorhall end up?
(a) Enslaved in Ireland.
(b) Perished at sea.
(c) He fled to the interior and was never seen again.
(d) He stayed at the native settlement they had seen from a distance.
15. What do Karlsefni and his men see when they are stopped at the lake?
(a) A traveling band of native families.
(b) Children from a native settlement.
(c) Nine skin boats approaching with natives waving sticks.
(d) Native warriors coming down the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
2. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
3. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
4. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
5. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)