|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Gudrid the prophecy about her future?
(a) Her dead husband.
(b) A prophetess in a dream.
(c) The corpse of Sigrid.
(d) The overseer.
2. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni and his crew of Icelanders on one, Greenlanders on the other.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Pagans on one and Christians on the other.
(d) Karlsefni's seamen were split evenly between the two ships to increase the chances of both arriving safely.
3. How does Einar go about seeking the hand of Gudrid?
(a) He lavishes her with gifts.
(b) He expresses his devotion to her.
(c) He sends his friend Orm to plead his case to Thorbjorn.
(d) He leaves determined to seek his fortune.
4. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
(a) Everyone is depressed at losing Thorvald.
(b) Fights keep breaking out.
(c) Sad to be leaving this rich land.
(d) Worried about the other ship and Thorhall.
5. Why does Leif deny Thorgunna what she asks of him?
(a) He does not want to antagonize Eirik.
(b) She had too many kinsmen who would disapprove of his abducting her and hunt him.
(c) She is too unwell.
(d) He doesn't think it will be possible.
6. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
(a) With anger from Thorbjorn.
(b) It was well received on all sides.
(c) Both fathers disapproved of the match.
(d) With disappointment from Eirik.
7. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
(a) Political ambition.
(b) Financial difficulties.
(c) The prospect of adventure.
(d) To hide Gudrid from Einar.
8. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A lake they can sail to up a river.
(c) Wild wheat and grapes.
(d) Streams teeming with fish.
9. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
(a) Report on the settlements sighted to the north.
(b) Start making a map of the area.
(c) Find fresh water.
(d) Explore the country to the south.
10. Who is Einar?
(a) A very wealthy but mean man.
(b) The local cheiftan.
(c) Gudrid's foster father.
(d) A successful sea going trader.
11. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(b) They are trying to reach Vinland.
(c) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
(d) They were banished from the other settlement.
12. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
(a) Two ships with about forty men on each.
(b) One ship loaded with almost one hundred men.
(c) One ship with a bare skeleton crew.
(d) Twenty heavily laden ships.
13. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
(a) No one but Gudrid and his slaves.
(b) Three entire ships of people.
(c) About thrity friends.
14. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
(a) They go hunting together.
(b) They fight.
(c) They trade many iron tools to the natives.
(d) The women cook together.
15. Who is Thorgunna?
(a) A wealthy widow who gives Leif a ship.
(b) Eirik the Red's sister.
(c) The queen of Norway.
(d) The woman Leif falls in love with and the mother of his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
2. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
3. What do the natives have an use that impresses Karlsefni and his men?
4. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
5. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)