|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king of Norway ask Leif to do upon his return to Greenland?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Claim Vinland for Norway.
(c) Spread Christianity.
(d) Act as his embassador to Greenland.
2. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
(a) A terrible storm.
(d) A disease.
3. What do Karlsefni and his men see when they are stopped at the lake?
(a) Children from a native settlement.
(b) Nine skin boats approaching with natives waving sticks.
(c) Native warriors coming down the beach.
(d) A traveling band of native families.
4. What does Karlsefni offer Eirik to cheer him up?
(a) None of the above.
(b) To take him on his next journey.
(c) To become like a son to him.
(d) To use want he wanted from their cargos for Christmas feast.
5. What is Karlsefni's mother's first impression of Gudrid?
(a) That she is an angel.
(b) That Karlsefni had married beneath him.
(c) The Gudrid's beauty would make Karlsefni miserable.
(d) That Gudrid is too spoiled.
6. What do the natives have an use that impresses Karlsefni and his men?
(a) Great skill in hunting.
(c) Dog sleds.
(d) A catapult like weapon.
7. How is the marriage of Gudrid and Thorstein Eriksson received by their families?
(a) It was well received on all sides.
(b) With disappointment from Eirik.
(c) Both fathers disapproved of the match.
(d) With anger from Thorbjorn.
8. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
9. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
(a) They trade many iron tools to the natives.
(b) They go hunting together.
(c) They fight.
(d) The women cook together.
10. Who is Einar?
(a) Gudrid's foster father.
(b) The local cheiftan.
(c) A successful sea going trader.
(d) A very wealthy but mean man.
11. Who is Thorfinn Karlsfni?
(a) The son of the Icelandic king.
(b) An embassador from the king of Norway.
(c) A sea going merchant of distinction from Iceland.
(d) A Norwegian merchant.
12. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
(b) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
(c) Unipeds only defend rich land.
(d) He notices the black color of the earth.
13. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
(a) To escape Eirik's wrath about his marriage to Gudrid.
(b) Gudrid wants to see Vinland.
(c) Because of all the discussions about Vinland at Brattahlid.
(d) He feels it is his obligation to the king of Norway.
14. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
(a) Gudrid misses the people at Brattahlid.
(b) They have enough supplies to make them rich.
(c) He realizes a settlement will never have peace from the natives.
(d) The group has lost too many men.
15. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
(a) Again and again over the Winter.
(b) Not again for almost two years.
(c) In the Spring.
(d) When they find another native settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
2. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
3. What do Karlsefni and his men see from their ship that make them think they have traveled as far from Straumfjord this way as they had the other way?
4. What is the nature of the Christmas feast Eirik the Red served Karlsefni and company?
5. Where do Karlsefni and his men spend the next winter?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)