|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorgunna ask of Leif?
(a) To share the fortune he makes.
(b) To stay in the Hebrides with her.
(c) To return with him to Greenland.
(d) To spread Christianity.
2. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
(a) They were banished from the other settlement.
(b) To escape the wrath of their fathers.
(c) They are trying to reach Vinland.
(d) They jointly own a farm there with another Thorstein.
3. What does Leif find on his way home from Vinland?
(a) An abandoned ship at sea.
(b) A new bay on Greenland.
(c) A dead whale floating at sea.
(d) Shipwrecked seamen.
4. How were the men split between Karlsefni and Thorhall?
(a) Karlsefni split the men so half would go with each ship.
(b) The Christians wanted to go with Karlsefni, the others withThorhall.
(c) None of the men wanted to go with Thorhall.
(d) Only nine men wanted to go with Thorhall, the rest with Karlsefni.
5. What do the natives most seem to want from the expedition?
(a) Dried fish.
(d) Red cloth.
6. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
(a) They stared at each other and then the natives left.
(b) They fought, and several of Karlsefni's men are killed.
(c) Gudrid started converting them to Christianity.
(d) Karlsefni took them prisoner.
7. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
(a) Start making a map of the area.
(b) Explore the country to the south.
(c) Find fresh water.
(d) Report on the settlements sighted to the north.
8. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A former slave.
(c) A chieftan.
(d) The owner of a large farm.
9. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
(a) The natives show them how to plant corn.
(c) Karlsefni and his men show them their weapons.
(d) Karlsefni and his men give them gifts.
10. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni's seamen were split evenly between the two ships to increase the chances of both arriving safely.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Pagans on one and Christians on the other.
(d) Karlsefni and his crew of Icelanders on one, Greenlanders on the other.
11. Which of the following best describes the clothes of the prophetess Thorbjorg?
(a) Sparse and simple.
(b) Elaborate and ornate.
(c) Tattered and loose fitting.
(d) Practical and common.
12. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
(a) Thorhall claims Karlsefni is unjust and greedy.
(b) A religious dispute.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Thorhall wanted to explore north, but Karlsefni thought they should sail south.
13. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
(a) He notices the black color of the earth.
(b) There is plenty of fat around his entrails.
(c) He sees the glittering streak of gold in the rocks.
(d) Unipeds only defend rich land.
14. How do the natives come the second time they visit Karsefni and his men?
(a) More kids arrive on foot from a nearby settlement.
(b) Native men arrive by dogsled.
(c) More traveling families arrive as they follow the river.
(d) A great horde of them approach by boat from the South.
15. Who were Haki and Hekja?
(a) Two sailors who were also good runners.
(b) Two Scots given to Leif by the king of Norway.
(c) Boys who had been raised at Brattahlid.
(d) Icelandic friends of Karlsefni's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
2. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
3. Why did Thorhall go on the expedition to Vinland?
4. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
5. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)