|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
(b) A ship.
(c) His sword.
2. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
(a) They stayed on in Vinland.
(b) They went exploring on their own.
(c) They died of disease.
(d) They angered the Gods.
3. Why do the men wish to stop at this land?
(a) They think it is Greenland.
(b) They are afraid of getting further lost.
(c) For wood and water.
(d) The land is rich and beautiful.
4. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
(a) In Norway.
(b) In Greenland.
(c) Back on Vinland.
(d) In Iceland.
5. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
(a) A sect of sorcerers from the British Isles.
(b) Fellow practicians of her craft.
(c) Her husband and sons.
(d) Captive slaves from the British Isles.
6. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To fetch Thorvald's body.
(b) To make more wine from the grapes.
(c) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(d) None of the above.
7. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
8. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
(a) General ill will.
(b) Distrust and fear.
(c) Business and formality.
9. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
(b) Ruins of great cities.
(c) Planted crops.
10. What happens to Tyrkir?
(a) He gets lost.
(b) He gets into a fight with Leif and leaves by himself.
(c) He gets separated from the other men.
(d) He hears strange sounds and follows them.
11. Who does Bjarni travel to see "some time later" after sighting the land to the west?
(a) The Thorsness Assembly.
(b) Eirik the Red.
(c) Freydis, Eirik's daughter.
(d) Earl Eirik in Norway.
12. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
(a) They are of more even length.
(b) They were louder with sounds of wildlife.
(c) They reached higher temperatures.
(d) The skies were clearer.
13. What does Aud do to the men that she brings to Iceland?
(a) Send them to explore abroad.
(b) Gave them land.
(c) Keep them the remainder of their lives as servants.
(d) Execute them.
14. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
(b) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
(c) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
(d) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
15. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(b) Low hills covered in grass.
(c) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(d) Dense forest with much lumber.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the settlers end up trading to the natives?
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
3. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
4. What does Thorvald die of?
5. Which of the following most accurately describes the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)