|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
(a) On a mission from the king.
(b) They heard rumors of land to the west.
(c) To find new resources.
(d) Because of some killings.
2. Who is Freydis?
(a) The wife of Herjolf.
(b) A seer and a witch.
(c) The first victim of the plague.
(d) The arrogant daughter of Eirik the Red.
3. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
(a) Because it was the wrong season.
(b) Because he did not trust Eirik the Red.
(c) Because none of the men had ever sailed there before.
(d) Because the sea was full of pirates.
4. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
(c) Five years of exploration service for the king.
5. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
(a) Thirty men in three ships.
(b) Sixty men in eight ships.
(c) Nine men in one ship.
(d) Thirty men in one ship.
6. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
7. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
(a) The sight of a whale being butchered.
(b) The men shout and chase them.
(c) The weapons displayed by the men.
(d) The bellowing of the bull.
8. Who does Bjarni travel to see "some time later" after sighting the land to the west?
(a) Earl Eirik in Norway.
(b) The Thorsness Assembly.
(c) Freydis, Eirik's daughter.
(d) Eirik the Red.
9. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
(d) She refused to practice.
10. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(b) A serious illness.
(c) A wound in his armpit.
(d) A fall onto rocks.
11. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
(b) In a skirmish with the natives of Vinland.
(c) In a shipwreck.
(d) Thirst while they are lost at sea.
12. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) Eirik hides and then flees the island.
(b) Eirik is sentenced to outlawry.
(c) Thorgest scours the country looking for Eirik.
(d) All of the above.
13. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Returns immediately to Iceland.
(b) Explores it and name places for three years.
(c) Decides to find land farther west.
(d) Declares the land uninhabitable.
14. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Abundant and mild.
(b) Sparse and changeable.
(c) Few and cold.
(d) Sufficient and tolerable.
15. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
(a) Eirik proposes to Thorgest's sister.
(b) Thorgest's wife.
(d) They both felt they should be clan leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
2. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
3. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
4. What happens to Tyrkir?
5. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)