|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Thorvald?
(a) The father of Eirik the Red.
(b) The king.
(c) The discoverer of Greenland.
(d) The brother of Eirik the Red.
2. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
(b) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
(c) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
(d) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
3. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(b) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
(c) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
(d) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
4. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
5. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(a) Damaged instruments.
(b) An inexperienced crew.
(c) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
6. Who are the parents of Thorstein the Red?
(a) Thurid and Olaf the White.
(b) Eirik the Red and Thurid.
(c) The Invisible People.
(d) Aud and Olaf the White.
7. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Leif the Explorer.
(c) Leif the Lucky.
(d) Leif the Leader.
8. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
(a) She earned the title of explorer.
(b) She can command ship like a man.
(c) No one thinks anything but ill of her and her family.
(d) She is plagued by misfortune.
9. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) The old keel of the boat.
(b) None of the above.
(c) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(d) A peak towering overhead.
10. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
(a) Start a landslide.
(b) Proposition the neighbor's daughter.
(c) Steal sheep.
(d) Threaten passerbys.
11. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
(b) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
(c) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
(d) Large, strong, and oafish.
12. What is the result of the trouble the slaves started?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Eirik is banished from Haukedale.
(c) The neighbors kill Eirik's slaves.
(d) Eirik kills some men.
13. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Sufficient and tolerable.
(b) Abundant and mild.
(c) Sparse and changeable.
(d) Few and cold.
14. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
(a) Eirik proposes to Thorgest's sister.
(b) Thorgest's wife.
(d) They both felt they should be clan leader.
15. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
(a) To explore land sighted to the west.
(b) To take revenge.
(c) He is set to sea with no guide or plan.
(d) Back to Norway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
2. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
3. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
4. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
5. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)