|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
(a) Nine men in one ship.
(b) Thirty men in one ship.
(c) Sixty men in eight ships.
(d) Thirty men in three ships.
2. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
(b) A fierce gale.
(c) The sighting of a human settlement.
(d) The need for lumber.
3. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
(a) Impatiently run ashore to explore.
(b) Observe the land from a distance until high tide returned.
(c) Dig a trench to float the boat.
(d) Remove supplies and abandon the boat.
4. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) None of the above.
(b) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(c) A peak towering overhead.
(d) The old keel of the boat.
5. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
(b) White sandy beaches and many islands.
(c) Attractive and forested.
(d) All of the above.
6. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
(a) They reached higher temperatures.
(b) They are of more even length.
(c) The skies were clearer.
(d) They were louder with sounds of wildlife.
7. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Abundant and mild.
(b) Sufficient and tolerable.
(c) Few and cold.
(d) Sparse and changeable.
8. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
(a) To take revenge.
(b) Back to Norway.
(c) To explore land sighted to the west.
(d) He is set to sea with no guide or plan.
9. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
(b) A small cottage for her to live in.
(c) A statue of her son.
(d) A shrine to the ancient gods.
10. Where do the men bury Thorvald?
(a) At sea.
(b) Krossaness, the place he thought suitable for a home.
(c) In Greenland.
(d) At the houses that Leif built.
11. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
(a) A beautiful place Thorvald said he would like to make his home.
(b) A beautiful, heavily wooded area.
(c) On a promontory between two fjords.
(d) All of the above.
12. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
(a) Farming with his father in Greenland.
(b) As a pauper.
(c) Sick in bed with the plague.
(d) Sailing the seas looking for that land.
13. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(b) To make more wine from the grapes.
(c) To fetch Thorvald's body.
(d) None of the above.
14. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
(a) Strong, shrewd, and moderate.
(b) Strong, impulsive, and violent.
(c) Intelligent, ambitious, and proud.
(d) Loyal, impulsive, and tempermental.
15. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
(a) The bellowing of the bull.
(b) The sight of a whale being butchered.
(c) The men shout and chase them.
(d) The weapons displayed by the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
2. What happens to Tyrkir?
3. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
4. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
5. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)