|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Sufficient and tolerable.
(b) Sparse and changeable.
(c) Few and cold.
(d) Abundant and mild.
2. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
(a) Leif the Lucky.
(b) Leif the Explorer.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Leif the Leader.
3. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) A reconciliation is reached.
(b) Eirik is deated.
(c) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
(d) All of the above.
4. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
(a) A plague.
(b) Many boats of goods.
(c) A Christian.
5. Who are the parents of Thorstein the Red?
(a) The Invisible People.
(b) Aud and Olaf the White.
(c) Eirik the Red and Thurid.
(d) Thurid and Olaf the White.
6. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
(b) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(c) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
(d) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
7. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Dense forest with much lumber.
(b) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(c) Low hills covered in grass.
(d) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
8. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
(a) She can command ship like a man.
(b) She earned the title of explorer.
(c) No one thinks anything but ill of her and her family.
(d) She is plagued by misfortune.
9. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(a) Already well settled.
(c) Occupied by enemies.
(d) A shipping port.
10. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(b) Damaged instruments.
(c) An inexperienced crew.
(d) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
11. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
(b) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(c) All of the above.
(d) A fight broke out.
12. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
13. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
(a) In Leif's houses.
(b) In a house they build farther inland.
(c) On their ship.
(d) All cramped inside the smallest of Leif's houses.
14. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
(b) Eirik proposes to Thorgest's sister.
(c) Thorgest's wife.
(d) They both felt they should be clan leader.
15. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
(a) Sixty men in eight ships.
(b) Thirty men in three ships.
(c) Nine men in one ship.
(d) Thirty men in one ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
2. How does Eirik find Greenland?
3. How long does Eirik spend exploring Greenland?
4. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
5. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)