|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
(a) Preparing to leave Greenland.
(b) Lost at sea.
(c) Cutting wood and grapes.
(d) Searching the coast for Thorvald.
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
(a) In Leif's houses.
(b) On their ship.
(c) In a house they build farther inland.
(d) All cramped inside the smallest of Leif's houses.
3. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A human settlement.
(b) Vines and grapes.
(c) A gold vein.
(d) Another boat anchored on upshore.
4. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
(a) Return to Greenland to bring more people.
(b) Build another ship for cargo.
(c) Divide the group into exploration parties to head out in every direction.
(d) Sail west along the coast to explore.
5. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) None of the above.
(b) In a lush undiscovered valley.
(c) On his way back, not far from the houses.
(d) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
6. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
(a) Wooded with low hills.
(b) Mountainous and icy.
(c) Heavily populated.
(d) Desolate and bare.
7. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
(a) Eirik proposes to Thorgest's sister.
(b) Thorgest's wife.
(c) They both felt they should be clan leader.
8. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) Eirik is sentenced to outlawry.
(b) Eirik hides and then flees the island.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Thorgest scours the country looking for Eirik.
9. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
(a) Leif the Lucky.
(b) Leif the Explorer.
(c) Leif the Leader.
(d) None of the above.
10. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
(a) To give homage to the god of crops.
(b) Because the rocks and glaciers have a greenish tint.
(c) To attract people there.
(d) Because there was lush green grass around the coast.
11. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
(a) A beautiful place Thorvald said he would like to make his home.
(b) A beautiful, heavily wooded area.
(c) All of the above.
(d) On a promontory between two fjords.
12. Who is Freydis?
(a) A seer and a witch.
(b) The first victim of the plague.
(c) The wife of Herjolf.
(d) The arrogant daughter of Eirik the Red.
13. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
(c) Planted crops.
(d) Ruins of great cities.
14. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
(a) Sailing the seas looking for that land.
(b) Sick in bed with the plague.
(c) As a pauper.
(d) Farming with his father in Greenland.
15. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
(a) Five years of exploration service for the king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the trouble the slaves started?
2. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
3. What is Aud's full title?
4. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
5. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)