|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) On his way back, not far from the houses.
(b) None of the above.
(c) In a lush undiscovered valley.
(d) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
2. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
(a) Thorstein's corpse.
(b) A goddess in Gudrid's dream.
(c) The native seer.
(d) Thorstein the Black.
3. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
(a) Distrust and fear.
(b) General ill will.
(d) Business and formality.
4. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
5. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(a) Wide grasslands.
(b) A fresh water spring.
(d) The woods.
6. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
(a) A fierce gale.
(b) The need for lumber.
(d) The sighting of a human settlement.
7. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
(a) Back to Norway.
(b) To explore land sighted to the west.
(c) He is set to sea with no guide or plan.
(d) To take revenge.
8. How does Eirik find Greenland?
(a) There have been several trips there before.
(b) He gets blown off course.
(c) The reports from Gunnbjorn's sightings.
(d) He is sailing to sea in a blind fury without destination.
9. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
(a) They died of disease.
(b) They went exploring on their own.
(c) They stayed on in Vinland.
(d) They angered the Gods.
10. Who is Freydis?
(a) The first victim of the plague.
(b) The arrogant daughter of Eirik the Red.
(c) The wife of Herjolf.
(d) A seer and a witch.
11. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
(b) A reconciliation is reached.
(c) Eirik is deated.
(d) All of the above.
12. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
(a) Wooded with low hills.
(b) Desolate and bare.
(c) Mountainous and icy.
(d) Heavily populated.
13. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A gold vein.
(b) A human settlement.
(c) Vines and grapes.
(d) Another boat anchored on upshore.
14. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To fetch Thorvald's body.
(b) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(c) To make more wine from the grapes.
(d) None of the above.
15. How long does Eirik spend exploring Greenland?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Twelve years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
2. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
3. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
4. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
5. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)