|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
(a) Strong, impulsive, and violent.
(b) Loyal, impulsive, and tempermental.
(c) Intelligent, ambitious, and proud.
(d) Strong, shrewd, and moderate.
2. What reception does Karlsefni receive in Norway?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Karlsefni and Gudrid were well received by the nobles in Norway.
(c) People were amazed he was still alive.
(d) He had so much merchandise he was accused of being a pirate.
3. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
(a) Thirty men in one ship.
(b) Thirty men in three ships.
(c) Nine men in one ship.
(d) Sixty men in eight ships.
4. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Few and cold.
(b) Abundant and mild.
(c) Sufficient and tolerable.
(d) Sparse and changeable.
5. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
(a) A beautiful place Thorvald said he would like to make his home.
(b) A beautiful, heavily wooded area.
(c) On a promontory between two fjords.
(d) All of the above.
6. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
(a) Thorstein the Black.
(b) The native seer.
(c) A goddess in Gudrid's dream.
(d) Thorstein's corpse.
7. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
(a) To supply her with extra food.
(b) To return to Greenland and bring Leif.
(c) To murder his brother.
(d) If he will trade ships so she can leave.
8. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
(a) A small cottage for her to live in.
(b) A shrine to the ancient gods.
(d) A statue of her son.
9. What is the result of the trouble the slaves started?
(a) Eirik is banished from Haukedale.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The neighbors kill Eirik's slaves.
(d) Eirik kills some men.
10. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
(a) The ghost of her husband Thorstein.
(b) More natives gathering in the distance.
(c) A vision into the future.
(d) A chestnut haired woman in a close fitting tunic.
11. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
(a) In what she pays the brothers.
(b) By directing them to take her places they do not expect.
(c) In the number of men she takes on the trip.
(d) In her promises to share everything equally.
12. Who is Freydis?
(a) The wife of Herjolf.
(b) The first victim of the plague.
(c) The arrogant daughter of Eirik the Red.
(d) A seer and a witch.
13. What happens to the brothers and their men?
(a) Freydis has her husband Thorvard kill them.
(b) They die from a disease.
(c) They skraelings kill them.
(d) They fight amonst themselves and leave.
14. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A reconciliation is reached.
(c) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
(d) Eirik is deated.
15. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
(a) They heard rumors of land to the west.
(b) Because of some killings.
(c) On a mission from the king.
(d) To find new resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
2. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
3. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
4. Where do the men bury Thorvald?
5. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)