|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) To Norway.
(b) To look for land sighted to the west.
(c) None of these.
(d) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
2. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
(b) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
(c) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(d) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
3. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
(b) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(c) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
(d) Another large and bountiful island.
4. Why do the men wish to stop at this land?
(a) They are afraid of getting further lost.
(b) They think it is Greenland.
(c) The land is rich and beautiful.
(d) For wood and water.
5. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(a) An inexperienced crew.
(c) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
(d) Damaged instruments.
6. What does Aud do to the men that she brings to Iceland?
(a) Gave them land.
(b) Execute them.
(c) Send them to explore abroad.
(d) Keep them the remainder of their lives as servants.
7. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
(a) In Norway.
(b) In Iceland.
(c) Back on Vinland.
(d) In Greenland.
8. What happens to Tyrkir?
(a) He gets lost.
(b) He gets separated from the other men.
(c) He hears strange sounds and follows them.
(d) He gets into a fight with Leif and leaves by himself.
9. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
(b) Distrust and fear.
(c) General ill will.
(d) Business and formality.
10. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(b) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
(c) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
(d) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
11. How does Eirik find Greenland?
(a) The reports from Gunnbjorn's sightings.
(b) He is sailing to sea in a blind fury without destination.
(c) He gets blown off course.
(d) There have been several trips there before.
12. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
(b) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
(c) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
(d) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
13. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Attractive and forested.
(d) White sandy beaches and many islands.
14. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
(a) To give homage to the god of crops.
(b) Because the rocks and glaciers have a greenish tint.
(c) To attract people there.
(d) Because there was lush green grass around the coast.
15. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
(a) A barely sufficient skeleton crew.
(b) Just himself and two close friends.
(c) Thirty five men.
(d) Four ships, abundantly manned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Bjarni?
2. Who is Karlsefni?
3. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
4. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
5. What is the result of the trouble the slaves started?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)