|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the settlers end up trading to the natives?
(a) Metal knives.
(c) Woven blankets.
2. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
(a) A beautiful, heavily wooded area.
(b) On a promontory between two fjords.
(c) All of the above.
(d) A beautiful place Thorvald said he would like to make his home.
3. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) Eirik is deated.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A reconciliation is reached.
(d) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
4. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
(a) Thorstein's corpse.
(b) Thorstein the Black.
(c) The native seer.
(d) A goddess in Gudrid's dream.
5. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
(a) In a house they build farther inland.
(b) In Leif's houses.
(c) All cramped inside the smallest of Leif's houses.
(d) On their ship.
6. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
(a) Planted crops.
(b) Ruins of great cities.
7. What is the result of the trouble the slaves started?
(a) The neighbors kill Eirik's slaves.
(b) Eirik is banished from Haukedale.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Eirik kills some men.
8. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A serious illness.
(b) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(c) A wound in his armpit.
(d) A fall onto rocks.
9. What is Aud's full title?
(a) Aud the Red.
(b) Aud the White.
(c) Aud the Beautiful.
(d) Aud the Deep Minded.
10. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Declares the land uninhabitable.
(b) Explores it and name places for three years.
(c) Decides to find land farther west.
(d) Returns immediately to Iceland.
11. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
(a) The men shout and chase them.
(b) The sight of a whale being butchered.
(c) The bellowing of the bull.
(d) The weapons displayed by the men.
12. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
(b) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
(c) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
(d) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
13. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
(a) Thirty five men.
(b) Just himself and two close friends.
(c) Four ships, abundantly manned.
(d) A barely sufficient skeleton crew.
14. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) None of these.
(b) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
(c) To look for land sighted to the west.
(d) To Norway.
15. How does Eirik find Greenland?
(a) The reports from Gunnbjorn's sightings.
(b) He gets blown off course.
(c) There have been several trips there before.
(d) He is sailing to sea in a blind fury without destination.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following most accurately describes the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid?
2. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
3. What do Leif and his crew decide to do regarding their discovery of this land?
4. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
5. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)