|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(a) The woods.
(c) A fresh water spring.
(d) Wide grasslands.
2. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
(a) Searching the coast for Thorvald.
(b) Cutting wood and grapes.
(c) Lost at sea.
(d) Preparing to leave Greenland.
3. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
(a) At Thorvald's grave.
(b) Lysufjord on Greenland.
(c) The island Markland.
(d) The houses that Leif built.
4. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Large, strong, and oafish.
(b) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
(c) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
(d) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
5. Which of the following best describes Bjarni?
(a) The son of Herjolf Bardarson
(b) All of the above.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A man of wealth and reputation.
6. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
(a) Distrust and fear.
(b) Business and formality.
(c) General ill will.
7. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
(a) He intends to make a permanent settlement.
(b) He takes livestock.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He takes more men and five women who will all share profits.
8. What is the result of the trouble the slaves started?
(a) Eirik is banished from Haukedale.
(b) All of the above.
(c) The neighbors kill Eirik's slaves.
(d) Eirik kills some men.
9. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Gudrid, Thorstein's wife.
(c) A Christian missionary.
(d) An embassador from Earl Eirik.
10. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
(a) Proposition the neighbor's daughter.
(b) Steal sheep.
(c) Start a landslide.
(d) Threaten passerbys.
11. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
(a) The bellowing of the bull.
(b) The sight of a whale being butchered.
(c) The weapons displayed by the men.
(d) The men shout and chase them.
12. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
(a) Leif the Leader.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Leif the Explorer.
(d) Leif the Lucky.
13. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
(a) To find new resources.
(b) They heard rumors of land to the west.
(c) Because of some killings.
(d) On a mission from the king.
14. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
(a) Her husband and sons.
(b) Fellow practicians of her craft.
(c) Captive slaves from the British Isles.
(d) A sect of sorcerers from the British Isles.
15. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
(a) Sick in bed with the plague.
(b) Farming with his father in Greenland.
(c) As a pauper.
(d) Sailing the seas looking for that land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
2. What happens to Tyrkir?
3. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
4. What do Thorvald and Eirik do because "of some killings" in Jaederen?
5. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)