|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(b) Low hills covered in grass.
(c) Dense forest with much lumber.
(d) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
2. Who is Thorvald?
(a) The brother of Eirik the Red.
(b) The king.
(c) The father of Eirik the Red.
(d) The discoverer of Greenland.
3. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
4. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
(a) Strong, shrewd, and moderate.
(b) Intelligent, ambitious, and proud.
(c) Strong, impulsive, and violent.
(d) Loyal, impulsive, and tempermental.
5. Who are the parents of Thorstein the Red?
(a) The Invisible People.
(b) Thurid and Olaf the White.
(c) Aud and Olaf the White.
(d) Eirik the Red and Thurid.
6. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A human settlement.
(b) Vines and grapes.
(c) Another boat anchored on upshore.
(d) A gold vein.
7. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
(b) The need for lumber.
(c) The sighting of a human settlement.
(d) A fierce gale.
8. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
(a) Sail west along the coast to explore.
(b) Build another ship for cargo.
(c) Return to Greenland to bring more people.
(d) Divide the group into exploration parties to head out in every direction.
9. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
(b) Large, strong, and oafish.
(c) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
(d) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
10. What does Aud Do in Orkney after she hears of the death of Thorstein the Red?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Gives away his daughter, Groa, in marriage.
(c) Seeks vengence for her husband's death.
(d) Raises her grandchildren.
11. Where do the men bury Thorvald?
(a) Krossaness, the place he thought suitable for a home.
(b) In Greenland.
(c) At sea.
(d) At the houses that Leif built.
12. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Eirik is sentenced to outlawry.
(c) Eirik hides and then flees the island.
(d) Thorgest scours the country looking for Eirik.
13. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
(a) Searching the coast for Thorvald.
(b) Preparing to leave Greenland.
(c) Lost at sea.
(d) Cutting wood and grapes.
14. Who is Leif?
(a) A messanger from the king.
(b) The founder of the colony on Iceland.
(c) The son of Eirik the Red.
(d) The brother of Eirik the Red.
15. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
(b) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
(c) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
(d) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
2. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
3. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
4. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
5. How long does Eirik spend exploring Greenland?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)