|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aud's full title?
(a) Aud the Red.
(b) Aud the Deep Minded.
(c) Aud the Beautiful.
(d) Aud the White.
2. What do the settlers end up trading to the natives?
(a) Metal knives.
(d) Woven blankets.
3. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(b) Already well settled.
(c) Occupied by enemies.
(d) A shipping port.
4. What does Aud Do in Orkney after she hears of the death of Thorstein the Red?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Gives away his daughter, Groa, in marriage.
(c) Raises her grandchildren.
(d) Seeks vengence for her husband's death.
5. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(a) Wide grasslands.
(b) The woods.
(d) A fresh water spring.
6. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(b) To fetch Thorvald's body.
(c) To make more wine from the grapes.
(d) None of the above.
7. What do Leif and his crew decide to do regarding their discovery of this land?
(a) Build houses, spend the winter, and explore.
(b) Leave part of the crew to explore while the other part returns to Greenland to report.
(c) Take samples of the resources and return to Greenland.
(d) Name it after Earl Eirik.
8. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
(a) Steal sheep.
(b) Threaten passerbys.
(c) Proposition the neighbor's daughter.
(d) Start a landslide.
9. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
(a) Back to Norway.
(b) He is set to sea with no guide or plan.
(c) To take revenge.
(d) To explore land sighted to the west.
10. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(b) An inexperienced crew.
(c) Damaged instruments.
(d) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
11. Which of the following most accurately describes the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid?
(a) They are few but influential.
(b) They ruled for many years.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) They are prolific and important.
12. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
(c) Thorvald's grave.
13. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
(a) A ship.
(d) His sword.
14. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
(a) More natives gathering in the distance.
(b) A chestnut haired woman in a close fitting tunic.
(c) A vision into the future.
(d) The ghost of her husband Thorstein.
15. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
(a) Thorgest's wife.
(b) Eirik proposes to Thorgest's sister.
(d) They both felt they should be clan leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
2. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
3. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
4. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
5. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)