|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
(a) Dig a trench to float the boat.
(b) Remove supplies and abandon the boat.
(c) Observe the land from a distance until high tide returned.
(d) Impatiently run ashore to explore.
2. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
(a) Strong, impulsive, and violent.
(b) Intelligent, ambitious, and proud.
(c) Loyal, impulsive, and tempermental.
(d) Strong, shrewd, and moderate.
3. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A gold vein.
(b) Vines and grapes.
(c) A human settlement.
(d) Another boat anchored on upshore.
4. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
(a) In Iceland.
(b) In Norway.
(c) Back on Vinland.
(d) In Greenland.
5. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
(c) Thorvald's grave.
6. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
(b) A fierce gale.
(c) The sighting of a human settlement.
(d) The need for lumber.
7. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
(b) Piles of sand hiding an ambush.
(c) Upside down skin boats with men under them.
(d) Dead men.
8. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(b) Already well settled.
(c) A shipping port.
(d) Occupied by enemies.
9. What do Leif and his crew decide to do regarding their discovery of this land?
(a) Build houses, spend the winter, and explore.
(b) Take samples of the resources and return to Greenland.
(c) Leave part of the crew to explore while the other part returns to Greenland to report.
(d) Name it after Earl Eirik.
10. Who tries to join Leif Eiriksson in his journey but was injured at the last moment?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) A Christian missionary.
11. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
(a) Start a landslide.
(b) Threaten passerbys.
(c) Proposition the neighbor's daughter.
(d) Steal sheep.
12. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Low hills covered in grass.
(b) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(c) Dense forest with much lumber.
(d) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
13. How long does Eirik spend exploring Greenland?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
14. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
(a) All cramped inside the smallest of Leif's houses.
(b) On their ship.
(c) In a house they build farther inland.
(d) In Leif's houses.
15. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
(c) On his way back, not far from the houses.
(d) In a lush undiscovered valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
2. What do Thorvald and Eirik do because "of some killings" in Jaederen?
3. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
4. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
5. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)