|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She hires them to transport her goods.
(b) They will command the ships of her expedition.
(c) They will take her along on their travels if she can pay.
(d) To travel together to Vinland and share equally in the profits.
2. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To make more wine from the grapes.
(b) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(c) To fetch Thorvald's body.
(d) None of the above.
3. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(b) A fight broke out.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
4. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) Eirik is sentenced to outlawry.
(b) Thorgest scours the country looking for Eirik.
(c) Eirik hides and then flees the island.
(d) All of the above.
5. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
(a) He intends to make a permanent settlement.
(b) All of the above.
(c) He takes livestock.
(d) He takes more men and five women who will all share profits.
6. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
(b) Piles of sand hiding an ambush.
(c) Upside down skin boats with men under them.
(d) Dead men.
7. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Low hills covered in grass.
(b) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(c) Dense forest with much lumber.
(d) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
8. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
(a) Travel to Vinland to determine the truth.
(b) Ignore the rumors.
(c) Confront Freydis and demand the truth.
(d) Torture three of Freydis's men until he learns the truth.
9. What is Aud's full title?
(a) Aud the Deep Minded.
(b) Aud the Beautiful.
(c) Aud the White.
(d) Aud the Red.
10. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Decides to find land farther west.
(b) Explores it and name places for three years.
(c) Returns immediately to Iceland.
(d) Declares the land uninhabitable.
11. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
(a) Sailing the seas looking for that land.
(b) As a pauper.
(c) Farming with his father in Greenland.
(d) Sick in bed with the plague.
12. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
(a) In a skirmish with the natives of Vinland.
(b) In a shipwreck.
(d) Thirst while they are lost at sea.
13. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
(a) Heavily populated.
(b) Wooded with low hills.
(c) Mountainous and icy.
(d) Desolate and bare.
14. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
(a) Eirik proposes to Thorgest's sister.
(b) Thorgest's wife.
(d) They both felt they should be clan leader.
15. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
(a) A beautiful place Thorvald said he would like to make his home.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A beautiful, heavily wooded area.
(d) On a promontory between two fjords.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
2. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
3. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
4. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
5. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)