|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) Eirik hides and then flees the island.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Thorgest scours the country looking for Eirik.
(d) Eirik is sentenced to outlawry.
2. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(b) A peak towering overhead.
(c) None of the above.
(d) The old keel of the boat.
3. What do Thorvald and Eirik do because "of some killings" in Jaederen?
(a) Move to Iceland.
(b) Seek the protection of the king.
(c) Make weapons.
(d) Join a large and powerful clan.
4. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
5. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
6. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
(a) The island Markland.
(b) The houses that Leif built.
(c) Lysufjord on Greenland.
(d) At Thorvald's grave.
7. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) They will take her along on their travels if she can pay.
(b) To travel together to Vinland and share equally in the profits.
(c) They will command the ships of her expedition.
(d) She hires them to transport her goods.
8. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
(a) All of the above.
(b) White sandy beaches and many islands.
(c) Attractive and forested.
9. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
(a) A ship.
(c) His sword.
10. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
(b) A fight broke out.
(c) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(d) All of the above.
11. Who tries to join Leif Eiriksson in his journey but was injured at the last moment?
(a) His wife.
(c) A Christian missionary.
(d) His father.
12. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
(b) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
(c) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
(d) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
13. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
(a) They heard rumors of land to the west.
(b) To find new resources.
(c) On a mission from the king.
(d) Because of some killings.
14. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(b) None of the above.
(c) To make more wine from the grapes.
(d) To fetch Thorvald's body.
15. What happens to the brothers and their men?
(a) They die from a disease.
(b) They fight amonst themselves and leave.
(c) They skraelings kill them.
(d) Freydis has her husband Thorvard kill them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
2. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
3. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
4. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
5. What does Thorvald die of?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)