|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(b) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
(c) An inexperienced crew.
(d) Damaged instruments.
2. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
(a) Attempt to communicate.
(b) All of the above.
3. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
(a) Thirty five men.
(b) Four ships, abundantly manned.
(c) Just himself and two close friends.
(d) A barely sufficient skeleton crew.
4. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A gold vein.
(b) A human settlement.
(c) Vines and grapes.
(d) Another boat anchored on upshore.
5. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
(a) Business and formality.
(b) General ill will.
(c) Distrust and fear.
6. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
(b) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
(c) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(d) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
7. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(b) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
(c) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
(d) Another large and bountiful island.
8. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
(a) Travel to Vinland to determine the truth.
(b) Ignore the rumors.
(c) Torture three of Freydis's men until he learns the truth.
(d) Confront Freydis and demand the truth.
9. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
(a) Thirty men in three ships.
(b) Nine men in one ship.
(c) Sixty men in eight ships.
(d) Thirty men in one ship.
10. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
(a) He is set to sea with no guide or plan.
(b) To explore land sighted to the west.
(c) Back to Norway.
(d) To take revenge.
11. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
(a) Gudrid, Thorstein's wife.
(b) A Christian missionary.
(c) An embassador from Earl Eirik.
(d) All of the above.
12. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(b) A shipping port.
(c) Occupied by enemies.
(d) Already well settled.
13. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
(a) The houses that Leif built.
(b) At Thorvald's grave.
(c) Lysufjord on Greenland.
(d) The island Markland.
14. Which of the following best describes Bjarni?
(a) The son of Herjolf Bardarson
(b) All of the above.
(c) A man of wealth and reputation.
(d) A merchant.
15. Why do the men wish to stop at this land?
(a) The land is rich and beautiful.
(b) For wood and water.
(c) They are afraid of getting further lost.
(d) They think it is Greenland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
2. What do Thorvald and Eirik do because "of some killings" in Jaederen?
3. Who does Bjarni travel to see "some time later" after sighting the land to the west?
4. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)