|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
(a) If he will trade ships so she can leave.
(b) To supply her with extra food.
(c) To return to Greenland and bring Leif.
(d) To murder his brother.
2. Who are the parents of Thorstein the Red?
(a) Thurid and Olaf the White.
(b) Eirik the Red and Thurid.
(c) The Invisible People.
(d) Aud and Olaf the White.
3. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
(a) Proposition the neighbor's daughter.
(b) Steal sheep.
(c) Start a landslide.
(d) Threaten passerbys.
4. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) To Norway.
(b) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
(c) To look for land sighted to the west.
(d) None of these.
5. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(b) Occupied by enemies.
(c) Already well settled.
(d) A shipping port.
6. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
(b) A fierce gale.
(c) The sighting of a human settlement.
(d) The need for lumber.
7. What happens to Tyrkir?
(a) He gets separated from the other men.
(b) He hears strange sounds and follows them.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) He gets into a fight with Leif and leaves by himself.
8. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
(a) Thorvald's grave.
9. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
(a) General ill will.
(b) Distrust and fear.
(d) Business and formality.
10. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
(a) Observe the land from a distance until high tide returned.
(b) Impatiently run ashore to explore.
(c) Dig a trench to float the boat.
(d) Remove supplies and abandon the boat.
11. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(b) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
(c) Another large and bountiful island.
(d) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
12. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
(b) On his way back, not far from the houses.
(c) None of the above.
(d) In a lush undiscovered valley.
13. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A reconciliation is reached.
(d) Eirik is deated.
14. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
(a) Gudrid, Thorstein's wife.
(b) An embassador from Earl Eirik.
(c) All of the above.
(d) A Christian missionary.
15. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
(a) Searching the coast for Thorvald.
(b) Cutting wood and grapes.
(c) Preparing to leave Greenland.
(d) Lost at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
2. Where do the men bury Thorvald?
3. Who tries to join Leif Eiriksson in his journey but was injured at the last moment?
4. Who is Leif?
5. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)