|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) A reconciliation is reached.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Eirik is deated.
(d) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
2. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) None of these.
(b) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
(c) To Norway.
(d) To look for land sighted to the west.
3. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Large, strong, and oafish.
(b) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
(c) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
(d) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
4. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
(b) Another large and bountiful island.
(c) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(d) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
5. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(b) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
(c) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
(d) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
6. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
(a) She refused to practice.
7. What does Aud do to the men that she brings to Iceland?
(a) Keep them the remainder of their lives as servants.
(b) Send them to explore abroad.
(c) Execute them.
(d) Gave them land.
8. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
(a) A fierce gale.
(b) The need for lumber.
(c) The sighting of a human settlement.
9. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
(a) Because it was the wrong season.
(b) Because the sea was full of pirates.
(c) Because he did not trust Eirik the Red.
(d) Because none of the men had ever sailed there before.
10. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) The old keel of the boat.
(b) None of the above.
(c) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(d) A peak towering overhead.
11. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
(b) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(c) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
(d) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
12. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
(a) They reached higher temperatures.
(b) The skies were clearer.
(c) They are of more even length.
(d) They were louder with sounds of wildlife.
13. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) They will take her along on their travels if she can pay.
(b) They will command the ships of her expedition.
(c) To travel together to Vinland and share equally in the profits.
(d) She hires them to transport her goods.
14. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(b) A shipping port.
(c) Already well settled.
(d) Occupied by enemies.
15. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Gudrid, Thorstein's wife.
(c) An embassador from Earl Eirik.
(d) A Christian missionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the brothers and their men?
2. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
3. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
4. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
5. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)