Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
(a) The weapons displayed by the men.
(b) The bellowing of the bull.
(c) The sight of a whale being butchered.
(d) The men shout and chase them.
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
(a) In Leif's houses.
(b) On their ship.
(c) In a house they build farther inland.
(d) All cramped inside the smallest of Leif's houses.
3. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) Another large and bountiful island.
(b) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
(c) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(d) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
4. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
(b) Piles of sand hiding an ambush.
(c) Dead men.
(d) Upside down skin boats with men under them.
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
(b) A shrine to the ancient gods.
(c) A small cottage for her to live in.
(d) A statue of her son.
6. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
(a) To return to Greenland and bring Leif.
(b) To supply her with extra food.
(c) If he will trade ships so she can leave.
(d) To murder his brother.
7. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) Vines and grapes.
(b) Another boat anchored on upshore.
(c) A human settlement.
(d) A gold vein.
8. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
(a) The island Markland.
(b) Lysufjord on Greenland.
(c) At Thorvald's grave.
(d) The houses that Leif built.
9. Who is Thorvald?
(a) The brother of Eirik the Red.
(b) The king.
(c) The father of Eirik the Red.
(d) The discoverer of Greenland.
10. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
(a) Strong, shrewd, and moderate.
(b) Strong, impulsive, and violent.
(c) Loyal, impulsive, and tempermental.
(d) Intelligent, ambitious, and proud.
11. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
(a) They were louder with sounds of wildlife.
(b) The skies were clearer.
(c) They are of more even length.
(d) They reached higher temperatures.
12. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) A fight broke out.
(b) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(c) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
(d) All of the above.
13. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
(b) All of the above.
(c) White sandy beaches and many islands.
(d) Attractive and forested.
14. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A wound in his armpit.
(b) A fall onto rocks.
(c) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(d) A serious illness.
15. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Large, strong, and oafish.
(b) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
(c) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
(d) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
2. Who are the parents of Thorstein the Red?
3. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
4. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
5. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)