|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(b) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
(c) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
(d) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
2. Which of the following most accurately describes the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid?
(a) They are wealthy.
(b) They ruled for many years.
(c) They are few but influential.
(d) They are prolific and important.
3. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
(a) Proposition the neighbor's daughter.
(b) Steal sheep.
(c) Threaten passerbys.
(d) Start a landslide.
4. Where do the men bury Thorvald?
(a) Krossaness, the place he thought suitable for a home.
(b) At the houses that Leif built.
(c) At sea.
(d) In Greenland.
5. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
(a) The houses that Leif built.
(b) Lysufjord on Greenland.
(c) The island Markland.
(d) At Thorvald's grave.
6. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
(b) Large, strong, and oafish.
(c) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
(d) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
7. How long does Eirik spend exploring Greenland?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two weeks.
8. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) Another large and bountiful island.
(b) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
(c) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
(d) A group of people stranded on a reef.
9. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
(a) In the number of men she takes on the trip.
(b) In what she pays the brothers.
(c) By directing them to take her places they do not expect.
(d) In her promises to share everything equally.
10. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
(c) Thorvald's grave.
11. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Returns immediately to Iceland.
(b) Explores it and name places for three years.
(c) Decides to find land farther west.
(d) Declares the land uninhabitable.
12. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
(a) Many boats of goods.
(b) A plague.
(c) A Christian.
13. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
(c) She refused to practice.
14. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A wound in his armpit.
(b) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(c) A fall onto rocks.
(d) A serious illness.
15. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
(a) Thirst while they are lost at sea.
(c) In a shipwreck.
(d) In a skirmish with the natives of Vinland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
2. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
3. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
4. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
5. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)