|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
(a) All of the above.
(d) Attempt to communicate.
2. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(a) Wide grasslands.
(b) The woods.
(d) A fresh water spring.
3. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
(a) Thirty men in three ships.
(b) Sixty men in eight ships.
(c) Nine men in one ship.
(d) Thirty men in one ship.
4. What reception does Karlsefni receive in Norway?
(a) People were amazed he was still alive.
(b) Karlsefni and Gudrid were well received by the nobles in Norway.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He had so much merchandise he was accused of being a pirate.
5. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) To look for land sighted to the west.
(b) To Norway.
(c) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
(d) None of these.
6. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
(a) A barely sufficient skeleton crew.
(b) Thirty five men.
(c) Just himself and two close friends.
(d) Four ships, abundantly manned.
7. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
(d) She refused to practice.
8. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
(a) The island Markland.
(b) Lysufjord on Greenland.
(c) At Thorvald's grave.
(d) The houses that Leif built.
9. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
(b) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
(c) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
(d) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
10. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(a) An inexperienced crew.
(c) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
(d) Damaged instruments.
11. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(b) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(c) Dense forest with much lumber.
(d) Low hills covered in grass.
12. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
(b) In a lush undiscovered valley.
(c) None of the above.
(d) On his way back, not far from the houses.
13. Where do the men bury Thorvald?
(a) In Greenland.
(b) At the houses that Leif built.
(c) Krossaness, the place he thought suitable for a home.
(d) At sea.
14. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
(a) Observe the land from a distance until high tide returned.
(b) Impatiently run ashore to explore.
(c) Remove supplies and abandon the boat.
(d) Dig a trench to float the boat.
15. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
(b) Thorgest's wife.
(c) Eirik proposes to Thorgest's sister.
(d) They both felt they should be clan leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
2. What does Thorvald die of?
3. Who does Bjarni travel to see "some time later" after sighting the land to the west?
4. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
5. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)