|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(b) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
(c) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
(d) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
2. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
(a) His sword.
(d) A ship.
3. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
(a) In what she pays the brothers.
(b) In her promises to share everything equally.
(c) In the number of men she takes on the trip.
(d) By directing them to take her places they do not expect.
4. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
(a) A chestnut haired woman in a close fitting tunic.
(b) More natives gathering in the distance.
(c) A vision into the future.
(d) The ghost of her husband Thorstein.
5. What is the result of the trouble the slaves started?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Eirik kills some men.
(c) The neighbors kill Eirik's slaves.
(d) Eirik is banished from Haukedale.
6. What do Leif and his crew decide to do regarding their discovery of this land?
(a) Leave part of the crew to explore while the other part returns to Greenland to report.
(b) Take samples of the resources and return to Greenland.
(c) Build houses, spend the winter, and explore.
(d) Name it after Earl Eirik.
7. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) She hires them to transport her goods.
(b) They will take her along on their travels if she can pay.
(c) To travel together to Vinland and share equally in the profits.
(d) They will command the ships of her expedition.
8. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) None of the above.
(b) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(c) A peak towering overhead.
(d) The old keel of the boat.
9. What happens to Tyrkir?
(a) He hears strange sounds and follows them.
(b) He gets separated from the other men.
(c) He gets into a fight with Leif and leaves by himself.
(d) He gets lost.
10. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) None of the above.
(b) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(c) To make more wine from the grapes.
(d) To fetch Thorvald's body.
11. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
(a) Dead men.
(b) Upside down skin boats with men under them.
(d) Piles of sand hiding an ambush.
12. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
(a) The native seer.
(b) Thorstein the Black.
(c) Thorstein's corpse.
(d) A goddess in Gudrid's dream.
13. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Returns immediately to Iceland.
(b) Explores it and name places for three years.
(c) Declares the land uninhabitable.
(d) Decides to find land farther west.
14. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
(b) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
(c) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(d) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
15. Who is Thorvald?
(a) The brother of Eirik the Red.
(b) The discoverer of Greenland.
(c) The king.
(d) The father of Eirik the Red.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
2. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
3. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
4. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
5. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)