|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Decides to find land farther west.
(b) Declares the land uninhabitable.
(c) Explores it and name places for three years.
(d) Returns immediately to Iceland.
2. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Leif the Leader.
(c) Leif the Explorer.
(d) Leif the Lucky.
3. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(b) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
(c) Damaged instruments.
(d) An inexperienced crew.
4. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
(a) Thorstein's corpse.
(b) Thorstein the Black.
(c) The native seer.
(d) A goddess in Gudrid's dream.
5. Who is Thorvald?
(a) The discoverer of Greenland.
(b) The king.
(c) The father of Eirik the Red.
(d) The brother of Eirik the Red.
6. What is Aud's full title?
(a) Aud the Red.
(b) Aud the Beautiful.
(c) Aud the White.
(d) Aud the Deep Minded.
7. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Few and cold.
(b) Abundant and mild.
(c) Sufficient and tolerable.
(d) Sparse and changeable.
8. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
(a) She can command ship like a man.
(b) No one thinks anything but ill of her and her family.
(c) She earned the title of explorer.
(d) She is plagued by misfortune.
9. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
(a) A beautiful, heavily wooded area.
(b) On a promontory between two fjords.
(c) A beautiful place Thorvald said he would like to make his home.
(d) All of the above.
10. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
(a) Fellow practicians of her craft.
(b) A sect of sorcerers from the British Isles.
(c) Captive slaves from the British Isles.
(d) Her husband and sons.
11. Why do the men wish to stop at this land?
(a) They think it is Greenland.
(b) For wood and water.
(c) They are afraid of getting further lost.
(d) The land is rich and beautiful.
12. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
(b) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
(c) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
(d) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
13. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
(a) Many boats of goods.
(b) A plague.
(c) A Christian.
14. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(b) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
(c) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
(d) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
15. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) In a lush undiscovered valley.
(b) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
(c) On his way back, not far from the houses.
(d) None of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
2. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
3. What happens to Tyrkir?
4. Who is Freydis?
5. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)