|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
(a) They went exploring on their own.
(b) They died of disease.
(c) They angered the Gods.
(d) They stayed on in Vinland.
2. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) To look for land sighted to the west.
(b) None of these.
(c) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
(d) To Norway.
3. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(a) Wide grasslands.
(b) A fresh water spring.
(d) The woods.
4. How does Eirik find Greenland?
(a) He is sailing to sea in a blind fury without destination.
(b) There have been several trips there before.
(c) He gets blown off course.
(d) The reports from Gunnbjorn's sightings.
5. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
(a) The weapons displayed by the men.
(b) The men shout and chase them.
(c) The sight of a whale being butchered.
(d) The bellowing of the bull.
6. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
(a) Impatiently run ashore to explore.
(b) Observe the land from a distance until high tide returned.
(c) Dig a trench to float the boat.
(d) Remove supplies and abandon the boat.
7. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) Eirik is deated.
(b) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
(c) All of the above.
(d) A reconciliation is reached.
8. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
(a) In a house they build farther inland.
(b) All cramped inside the smallest of Leif's houses.
(c) On their ship.
(d) In Leif's houses.
9. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
(a) Thirst while they are lost at sea.
(c) In a skirmish with the natives of Vinland.
(d) In a shipwreck.
10. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
(c) Five years of exploration service for the king.
11. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A Christian missionary.
(c) Gudrid, Thorstein's wife.
(d) An embassador from Earl Eirik.
12. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
(b) Attractive and forested.
(c) All of the above.
(d) White sandy beaches and many islands.
13. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
(a) Fellow practicians of her craft.
(b) Captive slaves from the British Isles.
(c) Her husband and sons.
(d) A sect of sorcerers from the British Isles.
14. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
(a) More natives gathering in the distance.
(b) The ghost of her husband Thorstein.
(c) A chestnut haired woman in a close fitting tunic.
(d) A vision into the future.
15. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
(b) She refused to practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
2. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
3. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
4. Who is Thorvald?
5. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)