|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A gold vein.
(b) Another boat anchored on upshore.
(c) A human settlement.
(d) Vines and grapes.
2. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) The old keel of the boat.
(b) None of the above.
(c) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(d) A peak towering overhead.
3. What do Thorvald and Eirik do because "of some killings" in Jaederen?
(a) Make weapons.
(b) Join a large and powerful clan.
(c) Seek the protection of the king.
(d) Move to Iceland.
4. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
(a) A vision into the future.
(b) A chestnut haired woman in a close fitting tunic.
(c) More natives gathering in the distance.
(d) The ghost of her husband Thorstein.
5. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
6. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
(a) Four ships, abundantly manned.
(b) Just himself and two close friends.
(c) Thirty five men.
(d) A barely sufficient skeleton crew.
7. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Large, strong, and oafish.
(b) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
(c) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
(d) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
8. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Sparse and changeable.
(b) Few and cold.
(c) Abundant and mild.
(d) Sufficient and tolerable.
9. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
(b) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
(c) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(d) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
10. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(b) Wide grasslands.
(c) A fresh water spring.
(d) The woods.
11. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
(a) Captive slaves from the British Isles.
(b) A sect of sorcerers from the British Isles.
(c) Her husband and sons.
(d) Fellow practicians of her craft.
12. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
(a) In a skirmish with the natives of Vinland.
(c) Thirst while they are lost at sea.
(d) In a shipwreck.
13. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
(c) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(d) A fight broke out.
14. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
(b) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
(c) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(d) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
15. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
(a) They died of disease.
(b) They went exploring on their own.
(c) They stayed on in Vinland.
(d) They angered the Gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
2. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
3. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
4. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
5. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)