|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Eirik's Saga, Chapters 12 - 14, Thorvald Eiriksson Dies, Bjarni Grimolfsson's Death, Karlsefni's Descendants.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
(a) All of the above.
(b) The owner of a large farm.
(c) A chieftan.
(d) A former slave.
2. Why does Karlsefni decide to go to Vinland?
(a) Gudrid wants to see Vinland.
(b) He feels it is his obligation to the king of Norway.
(c) Because of all the discussions about Vinland at Brattahlid.
(d) To escape Eirik's wrath about his marriage to Gudrid.
3. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
(a) Financial difficulties.
(b) Political ambition.
(c) To hide Gudrid from Einar.
(d) The prospect of adventure.
4. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) Another large and bountiful island.
(b) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(c) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
(d) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
5. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
(a) By size.
(b) By rank.
(c) By lottery.
(d) By age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
2. What does Thorvald die of?
3. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
4. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
5. How is Tyrkir described?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)