|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Grænlendinga Saga, Chapters 7 - 9, Karlsefni in Vinland, Freydis in Vinland, Karlsefni's Descendants.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(b) Dense forest with much lumber.
(c) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(d) Low hills covered in grass.
2. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A human settlement.
(b) Vines and grapes.
(c) A gold vein.
(d) Another boat anchored on upshore.
3. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
(b) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
(c) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
(d) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
4. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
(a) They angered the Gods.
(b) They stayed on in Vinland.
(c) They went exploring on their own.
(d) They died of disease.
5. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
(a) Piles of sand hiding an ambush.
(b) Dead men.
(d) Upside down skin boats with men under them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
2. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
3. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
4. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
5. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)