|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter is dated ________________.
2. Does Mark feel that any of the fans have even the vaguest idea of what it is he is actually doing?
3. They are happy because they have satisfied ___________________ by winning the Fomula races with the Javelins.
4. Mark ends up in a car in which he says it is impossible to win. The cars doing well are over _____________ faster than his.
5. The McLaren is still only able to reach a maximum speed of ____________, whereas the Eagle cars are blowing them away, at 7mph faster.
Essay Topic 1
In the early 1970s, Roger Penske has a meeting with the American Motors people.
Part 1) Describe the reason for this meeting. How does Mark feel about this meeting? Why? How does this meeting affect Penske's racing team? How does it affect Mark specifically?
Part 2) What other changes take place within the Penske racing team over the years during which Mark is a driver? Why do these changes take place? How do these changes affect the Penske team?
Part 3) Do changes like these take place in other sports and forms of entertainment? If so, how and why? If not, why not? How do changes affect fans and the sport's image?
Essay Topic 2
In 1963, Donohue has only been racing for three years.
Part 1) Describe his experiences at this point as a driver. How do these experiences affect him? Why does he consider being just a "normal engineer?"
Part 2) What causes Donohue to stick with racing? What does this conviction and desire reveal about him?
Part 3) Based on this information regarding racing in the early 1960s, how much has racing, as well as automobile engineering in general, changed over time?
Essay Topic 3
Mark is, at first, disappointed and a disappointment in Germany.
Part 1) Why does Mark go to Germany? Describe his initial experience in Germany. Why is it disappointing and even somewhat offensive? What does this reveal about Mark, his team, and the Germans?
Part 2) How does this trip to Germany change over time? What leads to these changes? How does this trip turn from a negative to a positive experience for Mark, the Penske team, and the Germans?
Part 3) Describe a time when you were disappointed. What led to this disappointment? How did you handle this disappointment? What did you learn from this experience?
This section contains 2,158 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)