|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the last race in which Donohue ever drives?
2. How does the chapter end?
3. There is a man named ________ who has an important role in introducing Mark Donohue to how they go about doing things in Europe.
4. The team makes progress by doing well in Formula ____.
5. How does Mark describe the Europeans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roger Penske think about the situation with American Motors? How does the situation with American Motors work out well for everyone involved?
2. What happens when Mark asks for advice from other drivers? Why do they act this way?
3. Why does the team take the car to Indianapolis for testing? Describe these tests. Is this a good idea? Why or why not?
4. How does the Penske team almost break one of the racing rules?
5. What does Mark say about race cars in general? How does this lead to a reiteration of an important fact?
6. What does Roger Penske offer Mark? What does he think about this?
7. What do Roger Penske and Mark Donohue have in common?
8. Describe Mark's disappointing performance. How does this become a positive situation?
9. What fact is reiterated using Mark's difficulty at Indianapolis?
10. How does the Penske team prepare for Formula One racing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark stays loyal to McLaren.
Part 1) Why do Mark and the Penske team decide to work with McLaren? Describe the McLaren cars. Overall, are they of good quality and a good fit for the Penske team? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does Mark stay with McLaren for a racing season, but have Roger Penske buy a new Eagle car from Dan Gurney? To what does this lead? How is this adjustment unusual? How effective is this adjustment? Explain.
Part 3) To whom are you loyal? Why are you loyal to this person, persons, or organization? How does this loyalty affect the decisions you make? Overall, do you see loyalty as a positive thing? Why or why not? Overall, does Mark's loyalty to various organizations throughout his life have a positive affect on his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Penske team enters Formula One racing.
Part 1) What is Formula One racing? Why is Roger Penske interested in Formula One? How does he begin preparations for his team entering this racing league? Are they adequately prepared? Explain.
Part 2) How do both Formula A and racing at Indianapolis help the Penske team prepare for Formula One? How is the opening at Watkins Glen also important? What does all this information reveal about racing leagues and strategies?
Part 3) Mark frequently discusses the differences between the various racing leagues. In what leagues does he race? Why does he race in them? What are the similarities and differences between these leagues? What does Mark learn from variations in each of them?
Essay Topic 3
Indianapolis is an important track for Mark.
Part 1) Describe this track. Why is it so important to Mark? How does racing on this track affect Mark and others? What do they learn from racing on this track?
Part 2) What other races are important to Mark and his career? Why? How do these races alter his thinking, choice in cars, or beliefs about racing?
Part 3) What events in your own life have been significant? Why?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)