|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter is dated ________________.
2. Do the race cars arrive already built?
3. What must happen to any problem the driver cannot handle?
4. In this chapter, Mark travels to ________________ with Roger Penske.
5. Mark knows he wants to leave racing before what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark learn about himself after retirement?
2. Describe the disaster in the garage. What does Mark think about this accident?
3. What late adjustment is made regarding the McLaren car and the Eagle cars?
4. Describe Mark's experience with NASCAR. What does he learn from this experience?
5. How does Mark feel during this chapter? Why?
6. What happens when Mark asks for advice from other drivers? Why do they act this way?
7. Describe Mark's disappointing performance. How does this become a positive situation?
8. How does the Penske team prepare for Formula One racing?
9. Describe Mark's retirement.
10. What do Roger Penske and Mark Donohue have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Race cars need modifications and adjustments.
Part 1) Describe two of Mark's cars and the adjustments made. Explain what the reader can learn about racing and engineering from Mark's descriptions of these adjustments?
Part 2) What else do all race cars have in common? Why do they often not last long? Can this be remedied? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How are race car drivers and their teams affected by these facts about race cars? Do you believe racing has changed much since Mark's years as a driver? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the early 1970s, Roger Penske has a meeting with the American Motors people.
Part 1) Describe the reason for this meeting. How does Mark feel about this meeting? Why? How does this meeting affect Penske's racing team? How does it affect Mark specifically?
Part 2) What other changes take place within the Penske racing team over the years during which Mark is a driver? Why do these changes take place? How do these changes affect the Penske team?
Part 3) Do changes like these take place in other sports and forms of entertainment? If so, how and why? If not, why not? How do changes affect fans and the sport's image?
Essay Topic 3
Mark is, at first, disappointed and a disappointment in Germany.
Part 1) Why does Mark go to Germany? Describe his initial experience in Germany. Why is it disappointing and even somewhat offensive? What does this reveal about Mark, his team, and the Germans?
Part 2) How does this trip to Germany change over time? What leads to these changes? How does this trip turn from a negative to a positive experience for Mark, the Penske team, and the Germans?
Part 3) Describe a time when you were disappointed. What led to this disappointment? How did you handle this disappointment? What did you learn from this experience?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)