|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In professional auto racing it is _____________________ that make(s) the race.
2. Why is Mark not happy during this chapter?
3. When does Mark write this autobiography?
4. The Penske team presently has ___________ different cars running in NASCAR, Can-Am and USAC style races for the season.
5. Mark writes that after ____________ years of losing, they have learned a great deal and Mark hopes to return as a team manager in a way that can make them win.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mark's initial reaction in Germany? How does Roger feel at first?
2. How does Mark feel during this chapter? Why?
3. How is Mark affected by the anti-skid system?
4. What takes place right after a victory?
5. Describe Mark's retirement.
6. Why does the team take the car to Indianapolis for testing? Describe these tests. Is this a good idea? Why or why not?
7. How does the Penske team almost break one of the racing rules?
8. What does Roger Penske think about the situation with American Motors? How does the situation with American Motors work out well for everyone involved?
9. How does Mark find a winning car for Indianapolis?
10. Overall, what does Donohue think about his trip to Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark dies in a crash.
Part 1) How does Mark end up racing one last time? How does this lead to his death? Might he have known that this was a risk he was taking? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does his death reveal about the sport of racing? How does it affect your view of this popular sport? What could be done to make this sport safer for those involved?
Part 3) Many forms of entertainment are dangerous for the performers/athletes. Are these activities worth the risks? Why or why not? Should it be legal to participate in these activities? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mark stays loyal to McLaren.
Part 1) Why do Mark and the Penske team decide to work with McLaren? Describe the McLaren cars. Overall, are they of good quality and a good fit for the Penske team? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does Mark stay with McLaren for a racing season, but have Roger Penske buy a new Eagle car from Dan Gurney? To what does this lead? How is this adjustment unusual? How effective is this adjustment? Explain.
Part 3) To whom are you loyal? Why are you loyal to this person, persons, or organization? How does this loyalty affect the decisions you make? Overall, do you see loyalty as a positive thing? Why or why not? Overall, does Mark's loyalty to various organizations throughout his life have a positive affect on his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Race cars need modifications and adjustments.
Part 1) Describe two of Mark's cars and the adjustments made. Explain what the reader can learn about racing and engineering from Mark's descriptions of these adjustments?
Part 2) What else do all race cars have in common? Why do they often not last long? Can this be remedied? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How are race car drivers and their teams affected by these facts about race cars? Do you believe racing has changed much since Mark's years as a driver? If so, how? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)