|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the board of the Academy help Erica matriculate in Chapter 7?
2. What does Harold feel takes over his life in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 8, what step does Brooks suggest is most important to decision-making?
4. According to Brooks in Chapter 14, what is a major issue with the human mind?
5. How does Erica's school respond to her tennis match tantrum in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What different trajectories do Harold and Erica's lives take in Chapter 15?
2. How does Erica get into the Academy in Chapter 7?
3. Why is Amy facing so may problems in Chapter 7?
4. How does Erica come back from her explosion in Chapter 8?
5. Describe Erica's experience at the consulting firm.
6. How does the success of Erica's business affect her marriage?
7. How do the founders of the Academy view poverty in America?
8. What did the marshmallow test predict about child development?
9. What impresses Erica about Raymond during their lunches in Chapter 16?
10. Describe the ideology of Rationalism.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrative of "The Social Animal" details how two talented, curious individuals achieve great success. Because these are not prodigies, their paths cross many mentors and preternatural talents. Write an essay about three mentors and talents. How does this person interact with Harold and Erica? What information does he or she impart? How does this personal unveil talents in one or both of the protagonists?
Part 1) Ms. Taylor.
Part 2) Raymond.
Part 3) Richard Grace.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the role of imagination and play in the development of children. How does Harold's imagination function both as a gift and as a liability? What fears does it engender in his parents? What delineations does Brooks draw between play in affluent children and p[lay in working class children? How does each type of play reflect a cultural stratus, and how does it indicate future development?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the teaching style that Ms. Taylor employs while assisting Harold with his senior paper. What are the five steps that are involved in this process? How does this teaching style internalize the knowledge? What role does Harold's journal have in this internalization? Discuss how this style of learning forever changes the way Harold takes in information.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)