|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell himself at the end of "Section 2: Part 4"?
2. How did Chloe die?
3. In "Section 2: Part 1", what bothers the narrator about his memory of Chloe?
4. Who does the narrator say comforted Chloe after her argument with Rose at the beach?
5. Who told Anna the narrator's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the night the Colonel's family doesn't visit like they said they would?
2. What does the narrator say Chloe reminds him of in the world to this day?
3. What is the Colonel's daily life like?
4. What does Miss Vavasour confess to the narrator in "Section 2: Part 6"?
5. What does the narrator say about his mother's death in "Section 2: Part 4"?
6. How does the narrator describe the storm in "Section 2: Part 3"?
7. What frightens the narrator at the beginning of "Section 2: Part 6"?
8. How does the narrator describe moving into The Cedars?
9. What does the narrator believe about life after death?
10. What happened the first time the narrator kissed Chloe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Anna to Chloe. Consider their relationships with the narrator, as well as their independent characters.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze either the sea, ships, or storms as a motif in this novel. What does this symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
How is "The Sea" a commentary on life and death?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)