|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say were Anna's last words?
2. What does the narrator realize his rage stems from in "Section 2: Part 3"?
3. In "Section 2: Part 3", how does the narrator describe the Colonel's life?
4. In "Section 2: Part 3", when does the narrator start insulting a woman who left him?
5. What does the narrator say he believes in instead of an afterlife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator dislike being photographed?
2. What does the narrator remember about Anna's death in "Section 2: Part 5"?
3. What frightens the narrator at the beginning of "Section 2: Part 6"?
4. What does the narrator say about his mother's death in "Section 2: Part 4"?
5. What does the narrator believe about life after death?
6. In "Section 2: Part 5", what does the narrator use as an example of Chloe's cruelty?
7. What happened the first time the narrator kissed Chloe?
8. What is the Colonel's daily life like?
9. How does the narrator describe the storm in "Section 2: Part 3"?
10. What do Bun and Miss Vavasour argue about in "Section 2: Part 4"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the effect of keeping it a secret until the end that Miss Vavasour is actually Rose. How does this affect the development of Miss Vavasour's character?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author deliver about the interaction between the past and present?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion about the layout of "The Sea"? How does the lack of chapter breaks impact the reader? What is the purpose of this? Is the technique effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)