|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his relationship with Bun?
2. What does the narrator say Anna told Claire about her illness?
3. At the end of "Section 2: Part 6", who comes to get the narrator?
4. What does the narrator say Anna though of after his mother died?
5. In "Section 2: Part 1", what does the narrator say he used to do while swimming in the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his love for Chloe in "Section 2: Part 2"?
2. In "Section 2: Part 3", what does the narrator say about his life after his father left?
3. How does the narrator explain Chloe's death?
4. In "Section 2: Part 4", what does the narrator say about his agreement with Anna?
5. What does Miss Vavasour confess to the narrator in "Section 2: Part 6"?
6. What does the narrator admit to doing to try to better his position in life?
7. What do Bun and Miss Vavasour argue about in "Section 2: Part 4"?
8. What happened the first time the narrator kissed Chloe?
9. What does the narrator remember Rose confessing to Mrs. Grace in "Section 2: Part 5"?
10. Why does the narrator dislike being photographed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of having the narrator narrate with long descriptive passages. What is the benefit of this style of story telling? What is the down side?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the effect of keeping it a secret until the end that Miss Vavasour is actually Rose. How does this affect the development of Miss Vavasour's character?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze either the sea, ships, or storms as a motif in this novel. What does this symbolize?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)