|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Chloe reminds him about the world?
2. In "Section 2: Part 1", what bothers the narrator about his memory of Chloe?
3. How does the narrator say Chloe treated Rose after her confession of love for Mr. Grace?
4. How does the narrator describe his relationship with Bun?
5. In "Section 2: Part 6", what does the narrator say the sea did to him as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator admit to doing to try to better his position in life?
2. In "Section 2: Part 4", what does the narrator say about his agreement with Anna?
3. In "Section 2: Part 3", what does the narrator say about his life after his father left?
4. What does the narrator say Chloe reminds him of in the world to this day?
5. What happens the night the Colonel's family doesn't visit like they said they would?
6. How does the narrator explain Chloe's death?
7. What do Bun and Miss Vavasour argue about in "Section 2: Part 4"?
8. What is the Colonel's daily life like?
9. In "Section 2: Part 6", what does the narrator reveal about Anna's death?
10. What does the narrator believe about life after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author relate the physical deaths of Chloe and Anna to the spiritual deaths of the Colonel, the narrator, and even Miss Vavasour in "The Sea"?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author deliver about the interaction between the past and present?
Essay Topic 3
How is disappointment a theme in this novel? What message about disappointment is conveyed?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)