|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say he and his mother learned of his father's death?
2. Where does the narrator say Chloe found another boy to torture with her love?
3. What does the narrator feel is ironic about his desire to protect Chloe?
4. In "Section 2: Part 1", what does the narrator say he used to do while swimming in the sea?
5. Why does the narrator say Anna felt pity for him as she was dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bun and Miss Vavasour argue about in "Section 2: Part 4"?
2. What is the Colonel's daily life like?
3. What does the narrator remember about Anna's death in "Section 2: Part 5"?
4. What happens the night the Colonel's family doesn't visit like they said they would?
5. What frightens the narrator at the beginning of "Section 2: Part 6"?
6. What did Anna do with her camera in the hospital?
7. How does the narrator describe his love for Chloe in "Section 2: Part 2"?
8. Why does the narrator dislike being photographed?
9. What does the narrator say Chloe reminds him of in the world to this day?
10. In "Section 2: Part 5", what does the narrator use as an example of Chloe's cruelty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion about the layout of "The Sea"? How does the lack of chapter breaks impact the reader? What is the purpose of this? Is the technique effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's commentary on childhood?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Anna to Chloe. Consider their relationships with the narrator, as well as their independent characters.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)