|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Anna told Claire about her illness?
2. What does the narrator say he visited while in England?
3. What does the narrator say is "outrageous" about the storm in "Section 2: Part 3"?
4. In "Section 2: Part 6", what does the narrator say the sea did to him as a child?
5. What does Miss Vavasour tell the narrator about his bed in "Section 2: Part 2"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anna do with her camera in the hospital?
2. How does the narrator describe the storm in "Section 2: Part 3"?
3. In "Section 2: Part 4", what does the narrator say about his agreement with Anna?
4. What frightens the narrator at the beginning of "Section 2: Part 6"?
5. What do Bun and Miss Vavasour argue about in "Section 2: Part 4"?
6. How does the narrator describe his love for Chloe in "Section 2: Part 2"?
7. What does the narrator admit to doing to try to better his position in life?
8. What is the Colonel's daily life like?
9. In "Section 2: Part 6", what does the narrator reveal about Anna's death?
10. What does the narrator believe about life after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion about the layout of "The Sea"? How does the lack of chapter breaks impact the reader? What is the purpose of this? Is the technique effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of having the narrator narrate with long descriptive passages. What is the benefit of this style of story telling? What is the down side?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the effect of keeping it a secret until the end that Miss Vavasour is actually Rose. How does this affect the development of Miss Vavasour's character?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)