|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Anna though of after his mother died?
2. What does the narrator say Chloe did when she accepted his love?
3. Who told Anna the narrator's real name?
4. What does the narrator feel is ironic about his desire to protect Chloe?
5. In "Section 2: Part 1", what does the narrator say he decided to do immediately after Anna's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Section 2: Part 5", what does the narrator use as an example of Chloe's cruelty?
2. What did Anna do with her camera in the hospital?
3. In "Section 2: Part 1", what details can the narrator remember about Chloe?
4. In "Section 2: Part 4", what does the narrator say about his agreement with Anna?
5. What does the narrator remember about Anna's death in "Section 2: Part 5"?
6. In "Section 2: Part 6", what does the narrator reveal about Anna's death?
7. How does the narrator say he used to feel about eggs as a child?
8. How does the narrator describe moving into The Cedars?
9. What does Miss Vavasour confess to the narrator in "Section 2: Part 6"?
10. What does the narrator say Chloe reminds him of in the world to this day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Anna to Chloe. Consider their relationships with the narrator, as well as their independent characters.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author relate the physical deaths of Chloe and Anna to the spiritual deaths of the Colonel, the narrator, and even Miss Vavasour in "The Sea"?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the setting of The Cedars in this novel. How does this setting impact the characters and the plot? What makes the location a character itself?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)