|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator feel is ironic about his desire to protect Chloe?
2. What does the narrator say Anna told Claire about her illness?
3. What does the narrator admit about Anna's moment of death in "Section 2: Part 6"?
4. What does the narrator say Chloe reminds him about the world?
5. Who told Anna the narrator's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe moving into The Cedars?
2. How does the narrator describe his love for Chloe in "Section 2: Part 2"?
3. What does the narrator remember Rose confessing to Mrs. Grace in "Section 2: Part 5"?
4. What does the narrator say Chloe reminds him of in the world to this day?
5. What frightens the narrator at the beginning of "Section 2: Part 6"?
6. What does the narrator say about his mother's death in "Section 2: Part 4"?
7. In "Section 2: Part 5", what does the narrator use as an example of Chloe's cruelty?
8. What is the Colonel's daily life like?
9. What does Miss Vavasour confess to the narrator in "Section 2: Part 6"?
10. What did Anna do with her camera in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the reliability of this narrator. Why is narrator reliability important?
Essay Topic 2
How is disappointment a theme in this novel? What message about disappointment is conveyed?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion about the layout of "The Sea"? How does the lack of chapter breaks impact the reader? What is the purpose of this? Is the technique effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)