|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say complained about Anna's hospital photographs?
2. What does the narrator compare his brandy bottle to in "Section 2: Part 6"?
3. What does the narrator say he and Anna agreed upon when they got married?
4. What does the narrator tell himself at the end of "Section 2: Part 4"?
5. In "Section 2: Part 1", what does the narrator say he decided to do immediately after Anna's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Colonel's daily life like?
2. In "Section 2: Part 3", what does the narrator say about his life after his father left?
3. How does the narrator describe moving into The Cedars?
4. How does the narrator explain Chloe's death?
5. What frightens the narrator at the beginning of "Section 2: Part 6"?
6. What do Bun and Miss Vavasour argue about in "Section 2: Part 4"?
7. What does Miss Vavasour confess to the narrator in "Section 2: Part 6"?
8. What does the narrator believe about life after death?
9. What does the narrator admit to doing to try to better his position in life?
10. In "Section 2: Part 1", what details can the narrator remember about Chloe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of having the narrator narrate with long descriptive passages. What is the benefit of this style of story telling? What is the down side?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the author's use of foreshadowing in this novel. Is it effective to reveal tiny clues through the narrator's stories that later become clear? Is the foreshadowing too subtle to be effective?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the development of the narrator's identity throughout the novel.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)