|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Section 2: Part 1", how does the narrator describe the robin?
2. Why does the narrator say he was so upset to discover the broken bird's eggs as a child?
3. What does the Colonel do when his family doesn't visit him as they promised?
4. Who told Anna the narrator's real name?
5. What role does the narrator say Rose played in the Grace family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Anna to Chloe. Consider their relationships with the narrator, as well as their independent characters.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of having the narrator narrate with long descriptive passages. What is the benefit of this style of story telling? What is the down side?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of shifting tenses in this novel. Is it effective? How or how not? Is it distracting? How or how not? Why might the author have the narrator tell his stories in this way?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)