|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the residents of The Cedars do after Bun leaves in "Section 2: Part 4"?
2. What does the narrator realize his rage stems from in "Section 2: Part 3"?
3. What does Claire tell the narrator about Jerome in "Section 2: Part 6"?
4. Why does the narrator say Rose and Chloe got into an argument at the beach one day?
5. When the narrator remembers moving to The Cedars, how does he say the Colonel acted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightens the narrator at the beginning of "Section 2: Part 6"?
2. How does the narrator explain Chloe's death?
3. How does the narrator describe his love for Chloe in "Section 2: Part 2"?
4. What happened the first time the narrator kissed Chloe?
5. What do Bun and Miss Vavasour argue about in "Section 2: Part 4"?
6. What does the narrator admit to doing to try to better his position in life?
7. In "Section 2: Part 3", what does the narrator say about his life after his father left?
8. What happens the night the Colonel's family doesn't visit like they said they would?
9. How does the narrator describe moving into The Cedars?
10. What does Miss Vavasour confess to the narrator in "Section 2: Part 6"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the author's use of foreshadowing in this novel. Is it effective to reveal tiny clues through the narrator's stories that later become clear? Is the foreshadowing too subtle to be effective?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the allusions to the classics, literature and art in this novel. What role do these allusions play?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author deliver about the interaction between the past and present?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)