|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does the narrator say he is when he first meets Chloe?
2. What type of game does the narrator remember Mrs. Grace wanting to play at the picnic?
3. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator overhear Anna say after he has a drink?
4. How does the narrator say his mother reacted when he told her about going to a picnic with the Grace family?
5. In "Section 1: Part 5", what does the narrator say he lacked in the early days of Anna's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator support his statement that Chloe was violent?
2. How does the narrator describe the early days of Anna's illness in "Section 1: Part 5"?
3. What does the narrator say happened to the dairy farmer his would visit as a child?
4. At the end of "Section 1: Part 2", how does the narrator describe his mind?
5. What did the narrator see the first time he saw the Grace family?
6. In "Section 1: Part 4", what does the narrator say Chloe shared with him as they became friends?
7. How does the narrator say he came to The Cedars?
8. Why does the narrator consult a medical dictionary in "Section 1: Part 6"?
9. What does the narrator see when he looks in the mirror in "Section 1: Part 6"?
10. What does the narrator say about place at the end of "Section 1: Part 6"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the author's use of foreshadowing in this novel. Is it effective to reveal tiny clues through the narrator's stories that later become clear? Is the foreshadowing too subtle to be effective?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the reliability of this narrator. Why is narrator reliability important?
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's commentary on childhood?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)