|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator assume that Miss Vavasour cries herself to sleep?
2. What does the narrator say Mr. Grace overdid when introducing himself?
3. What does the narrator say happened at the end of the Grace family picnic?
4. At the end of "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator say he should have done?
5. In "Section 1: Part 1", what makes the narrator question Colonel Blunden's health?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Section 1: Part 1", what does the narrator say happened when he and Anna returned from the doctor's office?
2. What was the narrator's family life like before his father left?
3. What does the narrator say he and Claire argued about after visiting The Cedars together in "Section 1: Part 3"?
4. Where does the narrator say he and Claire visited after Anna's death?
5. What is the narrator's life like at The Cedars?
6. At the end of "Section 1: Part 2", how does the narrator describe his mind?
7. What does the narrator say happened to the dairy farmer his would visit as a child?
8. In "Section 1: Part 3", what memories of Claire does the narrator have?
9. In "Section 1: Part 3", what does the narrator say about the impact of Anna's death on him?
10. In "Section 1: Part 4", what does the narrator say about crying as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "The Sea" a commentary on life and death?
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion about the layout of "The Sea"? How does the lack of chapter breaks impact the reader? What is the purpose of this? Is the technique effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast at least two of the vacation locations in this novel. What is significant about each setting?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)