|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Section 1: Part 2", how does the narrator describe his pains?
2. What physical ailment does the narrator have in his dream in "Section 1: Part 2"?
3. What does the narrator say made him cry over Mrs. Grace as a teenager?
4. What color is the stone the narrator says he is transported to in "Section 1: Part 6"?
5. What does the narrator say he remembers most about the dairy farmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about a "white box of light" in "Section 1: Part 6"?
2. What does the narrator say happened after he saw Mrs. Grace's crotch at the picnic?
3. In "Section 1: Part 2", what work does the narrator reveal himself to be working on?
4. What does the narrator see when he looks in the mirror in "Section 1: Part 6"?
5. What was the narrator's family life like before his father left?
6. What makes the narrator interested in his room at The Cedars?
7. In "Section 1: Part 4", what does the narrator say Chloe shared with him as they became friends?
8. When the narrator first met Chloe, what was his own family doing?
9. Why does the narrator consult a medical dictionary in "Section 1: Part 6"?
10. What is the narrator's life like at The Cedars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least two of the vacation locations in this novel. What is significant about each setting?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of having the narrator narrate with long descriptive passages. What is the benefit of this style of story telling? What is the down side?
Essay Topic 3
How is "The Sea" a commentary on life and death?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)