Section 1: Part 1 (pp. 3-18)
* The narrator talks about his memory of first meeting the Grace family.
* The narrator remembers learning about his wife's illness.
* The narrator introduces his room at the boarding house, The Cedars.
Section 1: Part 2 (pp. 18-32)
* The narrator describes when he first met Chloe.
* The narrator says his family life was full of tension before his father left.
* The narrator is working on an academic paper about a French artist.
Section 1: Part 3 (pp. 32-52)
* Claire, the narrator's daughter, sends the narrator a letter, but he does not plan on replying to it.
* The narrator remembers a drive he took with his daughter.
* Claire blames his father for a break-up, and he blames her for giving up on his career.
Section 1: Part 4 (pp. 52-68)
* The narrator wonders what happens in the other people's rooms at The Cedars during the night.
* The narrator remembers the first time...
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)