|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Sheelagh give Donuil when the search party is unable to find the missing man?
2. What do Merlyn and his competitor shoot at during the shooting contest in Chapter 20?
3. Who is Dergyll?
4. Where do Merlyn and his group stop on their way home to Camulod from Eire?
5. What do the people from Eire think when they arrive with Merlyn back in Camulod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
2. What does Merlyn find out about Ambrose's work when he returns to Camulod in Chapter 19?
3. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
4. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn as she departs to go reunite with Donuil?
5. What ends up happening with Sheelagh and Donuil in Chapter 23?
6. Why do Merlyn's friends make him go hunting before the festivities in Chapter 21?
7. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
8. What do Merlyn and the men of Eire do to prepare themselves for the attack that they suspect is coming after one of their men disappears into the woods?
9. How does Merlyn react in Chapter 19 when he hears that the leper colony has been attacked?
10. How does Sheelagh first react when she thinks Merlyn is accusing her of having dreams that come true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 4 different ways the story of "The Saxon Shore" would change if the setting were in a major, modern, metropolitan area.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)