|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long were Merlyn and his group actually gone while they were in Eire?
2. What does Sheelagh believe will happen with her and Donuil?
3. What does Sheelagh remind Merlyn of?
4. Who does Aunt Luceiia see in Arthur in Chapter 19?
5. What does Merlyn think about Donuil's connection with Sheelagh?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Sheelagh given Merlyn such a deep kiss as she leaves to reunite with Donuil?
2. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
3. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
4. What does Huw tell Merlyn about Cambria in Chapter 20?
5. What is particularly delightful about Arthur, as noted in Chapter 23?
6. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
7. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
8. What do Merlyn and his group realize about the armed men they see early in Chapter 19, right after they land on familiar soil?
9. What happens that leads Merlyn to suspect something is wrong as he and his group depart Eire?
10. What is Liam Twistback best known for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Merlyn and Ambrose. How are they similar? How are they different? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text, such as examples and quotations, to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
Essay Topic 3
Identify what you think is the tone for "The Saxon Shore" and discuss 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to create this tone.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)