|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fills the evening Merlyn spends at Twistback's for dinner?
2. What allows Merlyn to kill a very large number of deer in Chapter 20?
3. How has Ironhair betrayed Dergyll?
4. What does Merlyn think about in regard to Arthur as he heads home to Camulod from Eire?
5. What does Sheelagh believe will happen with her and Donuil?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Whyte uses to make one character of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss 1) at least 3 ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Arthur as well as 2) at least 3 literary devices Whyte could use while writing from this new and different perspective.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)