|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheelagh remind Merlyn of?
2. Where does Sheelagh see Donuil after he has been gone during the Winter?
3. What role did Twistback once play with a troupe of showman?
4. What does Merlyn realize is the only way for him to get down and help Mordecai?
5. How long did Lucanus think Merlyn and his group would be gone to Eire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn find out about Ambrose's work when he returns to Camulod in Chapter 19?
2. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
3. How does Sheelagh first react when she thinks Merlyn is accusing her of having dreams that come true?
4. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
5. What does Merlyn realize in Chapter 20 as he is at the shooting range to meet his brother?
6. How does Merlyn react in Chapter 19 when he hears that the leper colony has been attacked?
7. What is Liam Twistback best known for?
8. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
9. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
10. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn about the feasts her father hosts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least four negative aspects of having a protagonist as well-known (outside of the context of "The Saxon Shore") as Meryln. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)