|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had happened to the man who went missing from Eire in Chapter 16?
2. How many men are killed in the surprise attack on Camulod in Chapter 21?
3. What does Sheelagh believe will happen with her and Donuil?
4. What is the situation like as Merlyn and Dergyll face each other at first in Chapter 26?
5. As he is falling asleep at the end of Chapter 20, what does Merlyn realize he just needs to think of in order to feel happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Merlyn and his group realize about the armed men they see early in Chapter 19, right after they land on familiar soil?
2. Why does Ambrose think that the snow storm in Chapter 22 might be a blessing in disguise?
3. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn about the feasts her father hosts?
4. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
5. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
6. What advice does Ambrose give Merlyn in Chapter 20 when Merlyn mentions that he'd like to travel to Cambria?
7. How does Merlyn react in Chapter 19 when he hears that the leper colony has been attacked?
8. What ends up happening with Sheelagh and Donuil in Chapter 23?
9. Why do Merlyn's friends make him go hunting before the festivities in Chapter 21?
10. What do Merlyn and the men of Eire do to prepare themselves for the attack that they suspect is coming after one of their men disappears into the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author, like Whyte, faces when writing a story that takes place so long ago in history. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "The Saxon Shore" to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)