|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Merlyn's horse to run away as he is trying to rescue Mordecai?
2. As he is falling asleep at the end of Chapter 20, what does Merlyn realize he just needs to think of in order to feel happy?
3. What delays Merlyn's plans to seek justice for the attack in Chapter 21?
4. What kind of feeling does Merlyn have as he and his people depart Eire?
5. In Chapter 17, where does Athol say he is going to move his people for the Winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Prologue of "The Saxon Shore" 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Merlyn that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 3 things that Whyte is able to do with the character of Merlyn because he is a man AND at least 3 things he is *not* able to do with him because he is a man.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)