|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise do Merlyn and his group encounter when they first return to home soil in Chapter 19?
2. Why does Sheelagh ask Merlyn's opinion of Donuil?
3. What had happened to the man who went missing from Eire in Chapter 16?
4. What kind of feeling does Merlyn have as he and his people depart Eire?
5. Where are the arrows from that were used in the surprise attack on Camulod in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Huw tell Merlyn about Cambria in Chapter 20?
2. How does Arthur's wet nurse react when Merlyn tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
3. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
4. What happens that leads Merlyn to suspect something is wrong as he and his group depart Eire?
5. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
6. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
7. For what reasons does Sheelagh given Merlyn such a deep kiss as she leaves to reunite with Donuil?
8. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn about the feasts her father hosts?
9. What do Merlyn and the men of Eire do to prepare themselves for the attack that they suspect is coming after one of their men disappears into the woods?
10. What does Sheelagh seem to know instinctively about her relationship with Donuil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 4 different ways the story of "The Saxon Shore" would change if the setting were in a major, modern, metropolitan area.
Essay Topic 3
Choose at least one female character from "The Saxon Shore" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)