|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the shooting competition in Chapter 20?
2. How does Merlyn feel as he heads to Liam Twistback's home for dinner?
3. How does Sheelagh know Donuil is okay when she sees him after their long absence from each other?
4. What message does Dergyll give Merlyn when they first meet?
5. What is Sheelagh very gifted with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merlyn react in Chapter 19 when he hears that the leper colony has been attacked?
2. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
3. For what reasons does Sheelagh given Merlyn such a deep kiss as she leaves to reunite with Donuil?
4. What do Merlyn and the men of Eire do to prepare themselves for the attack that they suspect is coming after one of their men disappears into the woods?
5. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
6. What does Merlyn realize in Chapter 20 as he is at the shooting range to meet his brother?
7. What does Merlyn find out about Ambrose's work when he returns to Camulod in Chapter 19?
8. Why do Merlyn's friends make him go hunting before the festivities in Chapter 21?
9. What is Liam Twistback best known for?
10. What advice does Ambrose give Merlyn in Chapter 20 when Merlyn mentions that he'd like to travel to Cambria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least four negative aspects of having a protagonist as well-known (outside of the context of "The Saxon Shore") as Meryln. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)