|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is behind the surprise attack on Donuil, Merlyn, Athol, and their men in Chapter 16?
2. Who does Aunt Luceiia see in Arthur in Chapter 19?
3. Why doesn't Merlyn tell Donuil about his realization of the meaning behind his prophetic dream as he and his men leave Eire?
4. How long did Lucanus think Merlyn and his group would be gone to Eire?
5. What had happened to the man who went missing from Eire in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
2. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
3. What happens that leads Merlyn to suspect something is wrong as he and his group depart Eire?
4. What is particularly delightful about Arthur, as noted in Chapter 23?
5. Why does Ambrose think that the snow storm in Chapter 22 might be a blessing in disguise?
6. How does Merlyn react in Chapter 19 when he hears that the leper colony has been attacked?
7. How does Arthur's wet nurse react when Merlyn tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
8. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
9. What does Merlyn find out about Ambrose's work when he returns to Camulod in Chapter 19?
10. What is Liam Twistback best known for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Merlyn and Ambrose. How are they similar? How are they different? Make sure to use direct evidence from the text, such as examples and quotations, to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Prologue of "The Saxon Shore" 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Merlyn that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)