|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sheelagh hesitant to share that she has prophetic dreams?
2. What delays Merlyn's plans to seek justice for the attack in Chapter 21?
3. How long do the searchers agree to spend searching for Mordecai?
4. Why is Merlyn not worried about all the blood on him after he tries to rescue Mordecai?
5. Where are the arrows from that were used in the surprise attack on Camulod in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
2. What advice does Ambrose give Merlyn in Chapter 20 when Merlyn mentions that he'd like to travel to Cambria?
3. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
4. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
5. Why does Ambrose think that the snow storm in Chapter 22 might be a blessing in disguise?
6. What do Merlyn and his group realize about the armed men they see early in Chapter 19, right after they land on familiar soil?
7. For what reasons does Sheelagh given Merlyn such a deep kiss as she leaves to reunite with Donuil?
8. What does Huw tell Merlyn about Cambria in Chapter 20?
9. What does Merlyn realize in Chapter 20 as he is at the shooting range to meet his brother?
10. How does Arthur's wet nurse react when Merlyn tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss 1) at least 3 ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Arthur as well as 2) at least 3 literary devices Whyte could use while writing from this new and different perspective.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing how leprosy functions as its own unique character in "The Saxon Shore." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)