|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the searchers agree to spend searching for Mordecai?
2. What causes Merlyn's horse to run away as he is trying to rescue Mordecai?
3. Who wins the shooting competition in Chapter 20?
4. What role did Twistback once play with a troupe of showman?
5. What does Merlyn decide to leave behind as he heads to Twistback's home for dinner in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
2. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
3. What does Huw tell Merlyn about Cambria in Chapter 20?
4. How does Merlyn react in Chapter 19 when he hears that the leper colony has been attacked?
5. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
6. What is particularly delightful about Arthur, as noted in Chapter 23?
7. Why does Ambrose think that the snow storm in Chapter 22 might be a blessing in disguise?
8. How does Arthur's wet nurse react when Merlyn tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
9. For what reasons does Sheelagh given Merlyn such a deep kiss as she leaves to reunite with Donuil?
10. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Books about the legends of King Arthur, and The Camulod Chronicles in particular, are especially popular. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Whyte's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Prologue of "The Saxon Shore" 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Merlyn that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 3 things that Whyte is able to do with the character of Merlyn because he is a man AND at least 3 things he is *not* able to do with him because he is a man.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)