|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is behind the surprise attack on Donuil, Merlyn, Athol, and their men in Chapter 16?
2. Who ultimately decides that Arthur should go back to Camulod?
3. How do Merlyn's troops feel about the attack on the leper colony?
4. What does Sheelagh believe will happen with her and Donuil?
5. How does Arthur react when he sees Excalibur for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Huw tell Merlyn about Cambria in Chapter 20?
2. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
3. Why do Merlyn's friends make him go hunting before the festivities in Chapter 21?
4. How does Sheelagh first react when she thinks Merlyn is accusing her of having dreams that come true?
5. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
6. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn as she departs to go reunite with Donuil?
7. What advice does Ambrose give Merlyn in Chapter 20 when Merlyn mentions that he'd like to travel to Cambria?
8. What ends up happening with Sheelagh and Donuil in Chapter 23?
9. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
10. What is Liam Twistback best known for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 4 different ways the story of "The Saxon Shore" would change if the setting were in a major, modern, metropolitan area.
Essay Topic 2
Books about the legends of King Arthur, and The Camulod Chronicles in particular, are especially popular. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Whyte's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Whyte uses to make one character of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)