|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arthur react when he sees Excalibur for the first time?
2. When does the surprise attack come against Donuil, Merlyn, Athol, and their men in Chapter 16?
3. What had happened to the man who went missing from Eire in Chapter 16?
4. Why does Sheelagh ask Merlyn's opinion of Donuil?
5. What do people come to think of Arthur as he gets older?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheelagh seem to know instinctively about her relationship with Donuil?
2. For what reasons does Sheelagh given Merlyn such a deep kiss as she leaves to reunite with Donuil?
3. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
4. Why do Merlyn's friends make him go hunting before the festivities in Chapter 21?
5. How does Sheelagh first react when she thinks Merlyn is accusing her of having dreams that come true?
6. How does Arthur's wet nurse react when Merlyn tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
7. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
8. What do Merlyn and the men of Eire do to prepare themselves for the attack that they suspect is coming after one of their men disappears into the woods?
9. What is particularly delightful about Arthur, as noted in Chapter 23?
10. What does Merlyn realize in Chapter 20 as he is at the shooting range to meet his brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
Essay Topic 2
Books about the legends of King Arthur, and The Camulod Chronicles in particular, are especially popular. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Whyte's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the Prologue of "The Saxon Shore" 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Merlyn that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)