|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he is falling asleep at the end of Chapter 20, what does Merlyn realize he just needs to think of in order to feel happy?
2. How does Dergyll know that Merlyn is telling the truth about Ironhair?
3. How long were Merlyn and his group actually gone while they were in Eire?
4. What is Twistback's relationship with his daughter, Sheelagh, like?
5. What do Merlyn and his competitor shoot at during the shooting contest in Chapter 20?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that make the novel believable as well as what literary devices Whyte uses to create that level of believability OR analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that makes the novel unbelievable as well as what literary devices Whyte does not use effectively to create a level of believability in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author, like Whyte, faces when writing a story that takes place so long ago in history. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "The Saxon Shore" to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Merlyn is a good role model for young adult readers.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)