|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the situation like as Merlyn and Dergyll face each other at first in Chapter 26?
2. Why is Sheelagh hesitant to share that she has prophetic dreams?
3. Where do Merlyn and his group stop on their way home to Camulod from Eire?
4. How does Merlyn feel as he heads to Liam Twistback's home for dinner?
5. In Chapter 17, where does Athol say he is going to move his people for the Winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn as she departs to go reunite with Donuil?
2. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
3. Why does Ambrose think that the snow storm in Chapter 22 might be a blessing in disguise?
4. What advice does Ambrose give Merlyn in Chapter 20 when Merlyn mentions that he'd like to travel to Cambria?
5. What does Sheelagh seem to know instinctively about her relationship with Donuil?
6. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
7. What does Merlyn find out about Ambrose's work when he returns to Camulod in Chapter 19?
8. How does Merlyn react in Chapter 19 when he hears that the leper colony has been attacked?
9. What is particularly delightful about Arthur, as noted in Chapter 23?
10. What is Liam Twistback best known for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "The Saxon Shore" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)