|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the shooting competition in Chapter 20?
2. How long do the searchers agree to spend searching for Mordecai?
3. As he is falling asleep at the end of Chapter 20, what does Merlyn realize he just needs to think of in order to feel happy?
4. How long did Lucanus think Merlyn and his group would be gone to Eire?
5. What fills the evening Merlyn spends at Twistback's for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ambrose think that the snow storm in Chapter 22 might be a blessing in disguise?
2. What does Merlyn come to realize as he continues on his search for the horses after the death of Mordecai?
3. What is particularly delightful about Arthur, as noted in Chapter 23?
4. What happens after Dergyll and Merlyn realize what has happened with Ironhair?
5. What happens that leads Merlyn to suspect something is wrong as he and his group depart Eire?
6. What is Merlyn's opinion of Arthur's wet nurse after he tells her that Arthur will be going to Camulod?
7. What does Merlyn find out about Ambrose's work when he returns to Camulod in Chapter 19?
8. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn as she departs to go reunite with Donuil?
9. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
10. What does Huw tell Merlyn about Cambria in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss 1) at least 3 ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Arthur as well as 2) at least 3 literary devices Whyte could use while writing from this new and different perspective.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)