|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the people of Eire taken care of Arthur during Merlyn's absence?
2. What does Merlyn suspect Uther of doing?
3. For whom do Merlyn and Ambrose plan an elaborate funeral in Chapter 8?
4. What is the name of Connor's sister?
5. Who is Lucanus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
2. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
3. What does Connor tell Merlyn, when he is his captive, he is going to do with Merlyn and baby Arthur?
4. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
5. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
6. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
7. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
8. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
9. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
10. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify what you think is the tone for "The Saxon Shore" and discuss 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least four negative aspects of having a protagonist as well-known (outside of the context of "The Saxon Shore") as Meryln. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)