Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
2. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
3. Why are Merlyn and his men putting on a cavalry display for Athol and his men?
4. Where does Ambrose tell Merlyn he plans to stay in Chapter 6?
5. Who is Uther?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Merlyn and Ambrose deter the attack against the family farm in Chapter 28?
2. Why do Merlyn and his men decide to send Arthur away?
3. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
4. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
5. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
6. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
7. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
8. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
9. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
10. What ends up happening with Sheelagh and Donuil in Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 4 different ways the story of "The Saxon Shore" would change if the setting were in a major, modern, metropolitan area.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)