|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Uther?
2. Why is Merlyn able to communicate so quickly with his captors in Chapter 1?
3. What is little Arthur heir to?
4. What item from the animal in Chapter 11 does Dedalus keep?
5. What does Ambrose tell Merlyn his men fight like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
2. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
3. What happens between Merlyn and Finn when they first meet?
4. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
5. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
6. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
7. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
8. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
9. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
10. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that make the novel believable as well as what literary devices Whyte uses to create that level of believability OR analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that makes the novel unbelievable as well as what literary devices Whyte does not use effectively to create a level of believability in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)