|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Merlyn and his men nervous about the planned cavalry display for Athol and his men?
2. Who is Popilius?
3. What does Donuil suggest he and Merlyn bring as gifts to his father back in Eire?
4. How does Merlyn react when teased by Lucanus about his attraction to Ludmilla?
5. What promise does Merlyn make to the dead Uther?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
2. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
3. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
4. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
5. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
6. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
7. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
8. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
10. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing how leprosy functions as its own unique character in "The Saxon Shore." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)