|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merlyn react to Lucanus's request that he visit the leper colony?
2. How have the people of Eire taken care of Arthur during Merlyn's absence?
3. What does Merlyn do when he finds Uther's body?
4. Who is Athol?
5. How does Fin react to Merlyn when they first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
2. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
3. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
4. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
5. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
6. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
7. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
8. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
9. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
10. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing how leprosy functions as its own unique character in "The Saxon Shore." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "The Saxon Shore" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that can easily be carried over into the next novel in The Camulod Chronicles.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)