|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mungo?
2. How do Athol's friends view his leprosy?
3. What do Connor and Merlyn talk about when the first converse together?
4. Where does Merlyn go to grieve his wife in Chapter 6?
5. During the conversation about Merlyn possibly being a sorcerer in Chapter 9, what does Merlyn admit to Ambrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
2. How do Merlyn and Ambrose deter the attack against the family farm in Chapter 28?
3. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
4. What do Merlyn and Ambrose observe and think before they leave the family farm in Chapter 28?
5. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
6. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
7. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
8. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
9. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
10. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Whyte uses to make one character of your choosing from "The Saxon Shore" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing how leprosy functions as its own unique character in "The Saxon Shore." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)