|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mungo?
2. How does Merlyn spend the day after the day he talks to Lucanus about being celibate in Chapter 6?
3. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
4. What kind of romantic relationships make Merlyn uncomfortable in the beginning of "The Saxon Shore"?
5. Why are Merlyn and his men nervous about the planned cavalry display for Athol and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
2. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
3. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
4. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
6. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
7. What does Merlyn imagine the leper colony to be like before he arrives?
8. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
9. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
10. What does Connor tell Merlyn, when he is his captive, he is going to do with Merlyn and baby Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that can easily be carried over into the next novel in The Camulod Chronicles.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that make the novel believable as well as what literary devices Whyte uses to create that level of believability OR analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that makes the novel unbelievable as well as what literary devices Whyte does not use effectively to create a level of believability in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author, like Whyte, faces when writing a story that takes place so long ago in history. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "The Saxon Shore" to support your position.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)