|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Saxon Shore" originally published?
2. Who gives the death blow to the animal that interrupts the cavalry show for Athol and his men?
3. How does Athol feel when Donuil returns to Eire?
4. What do the men do with the wild animal that attacks them in Chapter 11?
5. What does Lucius Varo do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn imagine the leper colony to be like before he arrives?
2. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
3. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
4. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
5. What do Merlyn and his men realize after they are attacked by, and then kill, the wild boar in Chapter 11?
6. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
7. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
8. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
10. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 3
Books about the legends of King Arthur, and The Camulod Chronicles in particular, are especially popular. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Whyte's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)