|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucanus tell Merlyn he should fear about the lepers?
2. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
3. What does Lucius Varo do for a living?
4. How does Merlyn's aunt react when she sees him in Chapter 4?
5. During the conversation about Merlyn possibly being a sorcerer in Chapter 9, what does Merlyn admit to Ambrose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
2. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
3. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
4. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
5. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
6. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
7. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
8. What do Merlyn and his men realize after they are attacked by, and then kill, the wild boar in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
10. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Merlyn is a good role model for young adult readers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)