Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
2. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
3. Why are Merlyn and his men putting on a cavalry display for Athol and his men?
4. Where does Ambrose tell Merlyn he plans to stay in Chapter 6?
5. Who is Uther?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Merlyn and Ambrose deter the attack against the family farm in Chapter 28?
2. Why do Merlyn and his men decide to send Arthur away?
3. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
4. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
5. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
6. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
7. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
8. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
9. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
10. What ends up happening with Sheelagh and Donuil in Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least one female character from "The Saxon Shore" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing how leprosy functions as its own unique character in "The Saxon Shore." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss 1) at least 3 ways the novel would change if it were written from the perspective of Arthur as well as 2) at least 3 literary devices Whyte could use while writing from this new and different perspective.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)