|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the conversation about Merlyn possibly being a sorcerer in Chapter 9, what does Merlyn admit to Ambrose?
2. How does Merlyn's aunt respond when he tells her about Arthur's destiny?
3. What item from the animal in Chapter 11 does Dedalus keep?
4. Who does Merlyn's aunt tell Merlyn would be proud of him because of his work with the Council?
5. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
2. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
3. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
4. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
5. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
6. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
7. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
8. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
9. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
10. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that make the novel believable as well as what literary devices Whyte uses to create that level of believability OR analyze at least 3 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that makes the novel unbelievable as well as what literary devices Whyte does not use effectively to create a level of believability in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Prologue of "The Saxon Shore" 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Merlyn that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Identify what you think is the tone for "The Saxon Shore" and discuss 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to create this tone.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)