|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merlyn tell Ambrose about his ascent to power in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Ambrose?
3. For whom do Merlyn and Ambrose plan an elaborate funeral in Chapter 8?
4. Who does Merlyn suspect is behind his stabbing?
5. How does the group first see Eire in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Ambrose give Merlyn in Chapter 20 when Merlyn mentions that he'd like to travel to Cambria?
2. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
3. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
4. What misunderstanding do Dergyll and Merlyn realize has happened between them?
5. What happens during Merlyn's mysterious sickness in Chapter 29?
6. What does Merlyn find out about Ambrose's work when he returns to Camulod in Chapter 19?
7. What do Merlyn and his group realize about the armed men they see early in Chapter 19, right after they land on familiar soil?
8. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
9. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
10. How do Merlyn and Ambrose deter the attack against the family farm in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that can easily be carried over into the next novel in The Camulod Chronicles.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Merlyn is a good role model for young adult readers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Whyte portrays authority figures in "The Saxon Shore," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)