|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ironhair and Merlyn have a confrontation in Chapter 6, who wins?
2. Why does Merlyn often try to avoid his dreams?
3. During the conversation about Merlyn possibly being a sorcerer in Chapter 9, what does Merlyn admit to Ambrose?
4. How does Athol come to accept Merlyn at the conclusion of Chapter 13?
5. How does the group first see Eire in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
3. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
4. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
5. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
7. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
8. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
9. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
10. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Merlyn is a good role model for young adult readers.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing how leprosy functions as its own unique character in "The Saxon Shore." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 4 features of Ironhair and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)