|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of romantic relationships make Merlyn uncomfortable in the beginning of "The Saxon Shore"?
2. Who is Uther?
3. What warning does Merlyn give Ironhair after their confrontation in Chapter 6?
4. Why are Merlyn and his men putting on a cavalry display for Athol and his men?
5. What does Merlyn suspect Uther of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
2. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
3. What does Connor tell Merlyn, when he is his captive, he is going to do with Merlyn and baby Arthur?
4. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
5. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
6. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
7. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
8. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
9. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
10. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Merlyn is a good role model for young adult readers.
Essay Topic 2
Identify what you think is the tone for "The Saxon Shore" and discuss 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "The Saxon Shore" that can easily be carried over into the next novel in The Camulod Chronicles.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)