|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do second?
2. Who is Mungo?
3. When was "The Saxon Shore" originally published?
4. Who wants to join Donuil and Merlyn on their trip to Eire?
5. What does Merlyn dream about the night after he visits the leper colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
2. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
3. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
4. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
5. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
6. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
7. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
8. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
9. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
10. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least one female character from "The Saxon Shore" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
Essay Topic 2
Identify what you think is the tone for "The Saxon Shore" and discuss 3 literary devices that Whyte uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least four negative aspects of having a protagonist as well-known (outside of the context of "The Saxon Shore") as Meryln. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)