|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Athol's friends view his leprosy?
2. During the conversation about Merlyn possibly being a sorcerer in Chapter 9, what does Merlyn admit to Ambrose?
3. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
4. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do first?
5. When Ironhair and Merlyn have a confrontation in Chapter 6, who wins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
3. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
4. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
5. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
6. What does Merlyn imagine the leper colony to be like before he arrives?
7. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
8. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
9. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
10. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whyte uses to create tension in "The Saxon Shore."
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "The Saxon Shore" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 4 different ways the story of "The Saxon Shore" would change if the setting were in a major, modern, metropolitan area.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)