|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merlyn tell Ambrose about his ascent to power in Chapter 7?
(a) That he will be second-in-command as soon as he is ready.
(b) That it is time to move from a monarchy to a democracy.
(c) That he is King now even though he doesn't want it.
(d) That he must cede the thrown to Arthur.
2. How does the group first see Eire in Chapter 11?
(a) Through the darkness.
(b) Through burning-bright sunlight.
(c) Through the fog.
(d) Through the rain.
3. What wild animal attacks the group in Chapter 11?
(a) An unruly alligator.
(b) An injured bear.
(c) A ferocious cougar of some kind.
(d) An enraged boar.
4. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
(a) He is amazed.
(b) He is furious because he sees them as godly.
(c) He is so humbled by them, he weeps.
(d) He doesn't really understand them, actually.
5. What item from the animal in Chapter 11 does Dedalus keep?
(a) The beast's spiraled tusks.
(b) A piece of tail.
(c) A patch of fur.
(d) A footprint in the mud that later dried.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
2. What does Lucanus tell Merlyn he should fear about the lepers?
3. When was "The Saxon Shore" originally published?
4. What does Donuil suggest he and Merlyn bring as gifts to his father back in Eire?
5. Where does Merlyn go to grieve his wife in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
2. What happens between Merlyn and Finn when they first meet?
3. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
4. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
5. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
6. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
7. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
8. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
9. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
10. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)