|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
(a) He is so humbled by them, he weeps.
(b) He is amazed.
(c) He is furious because he sees them as godly.
(d) He doesn't really understand them, actually.
2. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
(a) That he is but Ambrose needs to be more quiet about it.
(b) That he isn't yet but he's very close to passing his test.
(c) That such ideas are ridiculous.
(d) That he is sometimes and not others.
3. In Chapter 1, what solidifies to Merlyn that he knows his captors?
(a) His intuition.
(b) A scar he sees on one of the men's faces.
(c) An image on the mast.
(d) A dream.
4. Who made Excalibur?
(a) Arthur himself.
(b) Merlyn's aunt.
(c) Merlyn's uncle.
(d) The local blacksmith.
5. How does Ambrose react to the beauty and power of Camulod?
(a) He thinks it's nice but that it will never match that of Rome.
(b) It just makes him miss home even more.
(c) He is overwhelmed by it.
(d) He is too depressed to even notice it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ambrose tell Merlyn he plans to stay in Chapter 6?
2. What is little Arthur heir to?
3. How does Merlyn spend the day after the day he talks to Lucanus about being celibate in Chapter 6?
4. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
5. Who sends a group of men to attack Merlyn and his group at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
2. What do Merlyn and his men realize after they are attacked by, and then kill, the wild boar in Chapter 11?
3. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
4. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
5. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
6. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
7. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
8. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
9. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
10. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)