|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merlyn say to Ambrose when he asks, in Chapter 6, if the infantry and the cavalry every combine?
(a) That they cannot because it creates too many problems.
(b) That they traditionally have not.
(c) That they are crucial for each other's success.
(d) That they made a promise to the Gods that they would never try it.
2. What do the men do with the wild animal that attacks them in Chapter 11?
(a) Shoot it so it is injured and will die, but then move on.
(b) Catch it so they can sell it to the circus.
(c) Kill it out of mercy and then leave it for the other animals.
(d) Prepare a feast with it.
3. How does Merlyn spend the day after the day he talks to Lucanus about being celibate in Chapter 6?
(a) He goes for a ride on his horse.
(b) He inspects the troops.
(c) He visits the sick.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. When Ironhair and Merlyn have a confrontation in Chapter 6, who wins?
(b) No one; it is a draw.
(d) This is a trick question; there is no confrontation.
5. What kind of description does Athol want from Merlyn in the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) A description of the lands between Camulod and Glevum.
(b) A description of how horrible the leper colony was.
(c) A description of the future as Merlyn sees it in his dreams.
(d) A description of the kind of woman his daughter had become.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends a group of men to attack Merlyn and his group at the end of Chapter 10?
2. What do Connor and Merlyn talk about when the first converse together?
3. How have the people of Eire taken care of Arthur during Merlyn's absence?
4. Who is Ambrose?
5. Which two people in Eire does Merlyn have an instant aversion to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
2. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
3. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
4. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
5. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
6. What do Merlyn and his men realize after they are attacked by, and then kill, the wild boar in Chapter 11?
7. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
8. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
9. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
10. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)