|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
(a) In the bottom of a house, in the basement.
(b) In the bottom of a cave.
(c) In the bottom of a boat.
(d) In the top room of a small inn.
2. Why does Merlyn often try to avoid his dreams?
(a) Because they show him how rotten and cruel he is inside.
(b) Because they are so silly.
(c) Because they are dark, frightening, and prophetic.
(d) Because they are so sad -- and mostly about his dead wife.
3. What do Connor and Merlyn talk about when the first converse together?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Merlyn's unique beard.
(c) Merlyn's background.
(d) The baby Merlyn has with him.
4. Who is Athol?
(a) Merlyn's confidant.
(b) Dedalus' brother.
(c) Arthur's wet nurse.
(d) The king in Eire.
5. What kind of romantic relationships make Merlyn uncomfortable in the beginning of "The Saxon Shore"?
(a) Anything other than heterosexual relationships.
(b) Any romantic relationships at all.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Heterosexual relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wild animal prevents the beginning of the calvary show for Athol?
2. Who is Uther?
3. What is the name of Connor's sister?
4. What gift does Merlyn give one of the lepers in the leper colony?
5. Who is Donuil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
3. What does Merlyn imagine the leper colony to be like before he arrives?
4. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
5. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
6. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
7. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
8. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
9. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
10. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)