|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants to join Donuil and Merlyn on their trip to Eire?
(b) Merlyn's aunt.
2. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
(a) In the bottom of a cave.
(b) In the bottom of a boat.
(c) In the bottom of a house, in the basement.
(d) In the top room of a small inn.
3. Who is Donuil?
(a) A stepbrother of Meryln's.
(b) Merlyn's father.
(c) A brother of Merlyn's.
(d) A friend of Merlyn's.
4. How have the people of Eire taken care of Arthur during Merlyn's absence?
(a) Some have been really nice but most have been pretty mean.
(b) They have only done the minimum required to keep him alive.
(c) Very badly.
(d) Very well.
5. Why are Merlyn and his men nervous about the planned cavalry display for Athol and his men?
(a) They don't want to seem as showing off too much.
(b) The horses spook easily in the new land.
(c) Their horses are hungry and not acting right.
(d) They don't have their usual amount of horses and riders.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ambrose and Ludmilla come to check on Merlyn after he is stabbed, what is he doing when they think he is sleeping?
2. Who gives the death blow to the animal that interrupts the cavalry show for Athol and his men?
3. What does Merlyn dream about the night after he visits the leper colony?
4. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
5. How does Athol feel when Donuil returns to Eire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
2. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
3. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
4. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
5. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
6. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
7. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
8. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
9. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
10. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)