|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
(a) A life of silence.
(b) A life of poverty.
(c) A celibate life.
(d) A life of indulgence and gluttony.
2. What item from the animal in Chapter 11 does Dedalus keep?
(a) A footprint in the mud that later dried.
(b) A piece of tail.
(c) The beast's spiraled tusks.
(d) A patch of fur.
3. In what perspective is "The Saxon Shore" written?
(a) Third person.
(b) Fourth person.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
4. What does Athol agree to in regard to Arthur?
(a) Protect him and that Merlyn is the one to train him.
(b) Keep his identity a secret from Donuil.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Surrender his lands when the time comes for Arthur to be king.
5. How does Ambrose react to the beauty and power of Camulod?
(a) He is too depressed to even notice it.
(b) He thinks it's nice but that it will never match that of Rome.
(c) It just makes him miss home even more.
(d) He is overwhelmed by it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ambrose and Ludmilla come to check on Merlyn after he is stabbed, what is he doing when they think he is sleeping?
2. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
3. Who is Mungo?
4. Who does Merlyn's aunt tell Merlyn would be proud of him because of his work with the Council?
5. How does Merlyn's aunt react when she sees him in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
2. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
3. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
4. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
5. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
6. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
7. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
8. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
9. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
10. What happens between Merlyn and Finn when they first meet?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)