|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What astounds everyone about Merlyn and Ambrose?
(a) How much they look alike.
(b) That they have the exact same wounds -- but from different battles.
(c) That the have the same birthday.
(d) How deep their hatred is for each other.
2. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
(a) In the bottom of a cave.
(b) In the top room of a small inn.
(c) In the bottom of a house, in the basement.
(d) In the bottom of a boat.
3. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
(a) A tooth from a boar his uncle killed.
(b) A piece of lace from his mother, the queen.
(c) A necklace with a key.
(d) A golden signet ring.
4. What item from the animal in Chapter 11 does Dedalus keep?
(a) A footprint in the mud that later dried.
(b) A piece of tail.
(c) A patch of fur.
(d) The beast's spiraled tusks.
5. What kind of romantic relationships make Merlyn uncomfortable in the beginning of "The Saxon Shore"?
(a) Heterosexual relationships.
(b) Anything other than heterosexual relationships.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Any romantic relationships at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mungo?
2. Who does Merlyn think killed Uther?
3. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do first?
4. What promise does Merlyn make to the dead Uther?
5. How does Merlyn react to Lucanus's request that he visit the leper colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is King Athol so amazed at the candles Merlyn and Donuil bring him?
2. How does Merlyn first interpret his dream in which he is flying right before he and his men are supposed to leave for Eire?
3. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
4. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
5. What does Connor tell Merlyn, when he is his captive, he is going to do with Merlyn and baby Arthur?
6. What do Merlyn and his men realize after they are attacked by, and then kill, the wild boar in Chapter 11?
7. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
8. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
9. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
10. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)