|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Merlyn often try to avoid his dreams?
(a) Because they are dark, frightening, and prophetic.
(b) Because they show him how rotten and cruel he is inside.
(c) Because they are so silly.
(d) Because they are so sad -- and mostly about his dead wife.
2. What does Athol agree to in regard to Arthur?
(a) Keep his identity a secret from Donuil.
(b) Protect him and that Merlyn is the one to train him.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Surrender his lands when the time comes for Arthur to be king.
3. What warning does Merlyn give Ironhair after their confrontation in Chapter 6?
(a) This is a trick question; there is no such confrontation in Chapter 6.
(b) That he will spend the rest of his life in jail for what he did.
(c) That he will one day seek revenge for these actions.
(d) Not to challenge him in the future.
4. Who is Popilius?
(a) A man who tries to kidnap Arthur.
(b) A man who tries to assassinate Merlyn.
(c) Merlyn's father.
(d) A senior soldier in Camulod.
5. What astounds everyone about Merlyn and Ambrose?
(a) That the have the same birthday.
(b) How deep their hatred is for each other.
(c) How much they look alike.
(d) That they have the exact same wounds -- but from different battles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Donuil?
2. How old is Merlyn in the Prologue?
3. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
4. How does Ambrose react to the beauty and power of Camulod?
5. Who wants to join Donuil and Merlyn on their trip to Eire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
2. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
3. What does King Athol do to Finn when he learns that he has been rude to Merlyn?
4. What happens between Merlyn and Finn when they first meet?
5. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
6. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
7. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
8. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
10. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)