|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Athol agree to in regard to Arthur?
(a) Keep his identity a secret from Donuil.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Surrender his lands when the time comes for Arthur to be king.
(d) Protect him and that Merlyn is the one to train him.
2. What prevents the men from traveling around Eire as they had hoped?
(a) There are police everywhere.
(b) They must travel only at night.
(c) There are no roads.
(d) They ran out of gas for their cars.
3. How does Merlyn's aunt respond when he tells her about Arthur's destiny?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is jealous.
(c) She doesn't believe his tall tales.
(d) She is very proud.
4. What wild animal attacks the group in Chapter 11?
(a) An unruly alligator.
(b) A ferocious cougar of some kind.
(c) An enraged boar.
(d) An injured bear.
5. When does Merlyn tell Ambrose that Arthur could become High King?
(a) When they are both drunk, which was a mistake.
(b) When they are examining Excalibur.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) When they are deep in the woods, where no one can hear.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the people of Eire taken care of Arthur during Merlyn's absence?
2. Who is Popilius?
3. Where does Merlyn go to grieve his wife in Chapter 6?
4. What promise does Merlyn make to the dead Uther?
5. When Ironhair and Merlyn have a confrontation in Chapter 6, who wins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Merlyn's mysterious sickness in Chapter 29?
2. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
3. What happens between Merlyn and Finn when they first meet?
4. In what situation does Merlyn find Mordecai after everyone goes out looking for him?
5. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
6. What does Merlyn realize about Arthur after the boy asks to share the horses he got as gifts in Chapter 29?
7. What does Sheelagh tell Merlyn about the feasts her father hosts?
8. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
9. What is Merlyn's main mission as described in the Prologue in "The Saxon Shore"?
10. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)