|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Uther?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Merlyn's cousin.
(c) Sheelagh's cousin.
(d) Yvonne's cousin.
2. What kind of description does Athol want from Merlyn in the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) A description of the future as Merlyn sees it in his dreams.
(b) A description of the lands between Camulod and Glevum.
(c) A description of how horrible the leper colony was.
(d) A description of the kind of woman his daughter had become.
3. Who is Popilius?
(a) A man who tries to kidnap Arthur.
(b) Merlyn's father.
(c) A man who tries to assassinate Merlyn.
(d) A senior soldier in Camulod.
4. What relationship do Lucanus and Ludmilla have?
(a) Ludmilla is studying medicine under Lucanas.
(b) They hate each other, actually.
(c) They are siblings.
(d) They are lovers.
5. What does Athol agree to in regard to Arthur?
(a) Surrender his lands when the time comes for Arthur to be king.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Protect him and that Merlyn is the one to train him.
(d) Keep his identity a secret from Donuil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of romantic relationships make Merlyn uncomfortable in the beginning of "The Saxon Shore"?
2. Why are Merlyn and his men nervous about the planned cavalry display for Athol and his men?
3. What does Merlyn say to Ambrose when he asks, in Chapter 6, if the infantry and the cavalry every combine?
4. When Ambrose and Ludmilla come to check on Merlyn after he is stabbed, what is he doing when they think he is sleeping?
5. What does Merlyn wear to the second meeting of the Council?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
2. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
3. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
4. What connection does Merlyn realize he has with his captors in Chapter 1?
5. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
6. What does Merlyn believe that Arthur's destiny is?
7. Why does Merlyn come to realize that he was wrong in calling the Outlanders barbarians?
8. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
9. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
10. What does Merlyn imagine the leper colony to be like before he arrives?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)