|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ambrose?
(a) Merlyn's son.
(b) Merlyn's uncle.
(c) Merlyn's cousin.
(d) Merlyn's stepbrother.
2. Who does Merlyn think killed Uther?
(a) Derek of Ravenglass.
(b) A long-lost enemy who came back for revenge.
(c) An unknown soldier on the battlefield.
(d) Malfoy of Slytherin.
3. How do Athol's friends view his leprosy?
(a) With disgust.
(b) With silent horror.
(c) With understanding and compassion.
(d) This is a trick question; Athol doesn't have leprosy.
4. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
(a) A celibate life.
(b) A life of silence.
(c) A life of poverty.
(d) A life of indulgence and gluttony.
5. Who is Athol?
(a) Merlyn's confidant.
(b) Arthur's wet nurse.
(c) Dedalus' brother.
(d) The king in Eire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the people of Eire taken care of Arthur during Merlyn's absence?
2. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do second?
3. What astounds everyone about Merlyn and Ambrose?
4. What important thing(s) do Donuil, Merlyn, and Athol discuss in Athol's tent.
5. What do the men do with the wild animal that attacks them in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
2. What do Merlyn and his men realize after they are attacked by, and then kill, the wild boar in Chapter 11?
3. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Ambrose think that Merlyn knows about his relationship with Ludmilla?
5. What does Merlyn imagine the leper colony to be like before he arrives?
6. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
7. What does Merlyn come to realize his flying dream in Chapter 8 is actually about?
8. What does Merlyn tell his captors about how he came across the baby Arthur?
9. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
10. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)