|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what perspective is "The Saxon Shore" written?
(a) Fourth person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person.
2. Why is Merlyn considering celibacy?
(a) So he can stop being so distracted by women.
(b) So he doesn't have to worry about a woman stealing his money.
(c) Because he could never love someone as much as he loved his wife.
(d) So he can focus his energy on raising Arthur.
3. Why does Merlyn often try to avoid his dreams?
(a) Because they show him how rotten and cruel he is inside.
(b) Because they are dark, frightening, and prophetic.
(c) Because they are so silly.
(d) Because they are so sad -- and mostly about his dead wife.
4. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
(a) He doesn't really understand them, actually.
(b) He is amazed.
(c) He is furious because he sees them as godly.
(d) He is so humbled by them, he weeps.
5. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do second?
(a) Eat a baby.
(b) Attack the crowds.
(c) Stand up straight and scare everyone to pieces.
(d) Kill a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the group first see Eire in Chapter 11?
2. How does Merlyn spend the day after the day he talks to Lucanus about being celibate in Chapter 6?
3. What does Ambrose tell Merlyn his men fight like?
4. When Ambrose and Ludmilla come to check on Merlyn after he is stabbed, what is he doing when they think he is sleeping?
5. Who does Merlyn suspect is behind his stabbing?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Merlyn and his men arrive in Eire, how do they decide to proceed north?
2. What prevents Merlyn from realizing that he is not, in fact, alone when he goes to visit a secret vale in Chapter 6?
3. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
4. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Ambrose decide to stay in Camulod in Chapter 6?
6. How does Merlyn come to realize this his cousin may not have killed his wife?
7. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
8. What does Merlyn tell the Council about his return in Chapter 4?
9. What is the history of Excalibur as described in Chapter 4?
10. What is surprising about Donuil's choice to stay in Camulod?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)