|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Athol's daughter?
(a) Merlyn's deceased wife.
(b) Arthur's mother.
(c) Dedalus's secret lover.
(d) Donuil's aunt.
2. What town does Merlyn consider home?
3. What does Lucius Varo do for a living?
(a) He's a farmer.
(b) He's an ironsmith.
(c) He's a lawyer.
(d) He's some kind of banker.
4. In Chapter 1, what solidifies to Merlyn that he knows his captors?
(a) A dream.
(b) An image on the mast.
(c) His intuition.
(d) A scar he sees on one of the men's faces.
5. Who is Donuil?
(a) A friend of Merlyn's.
(b) Merlyn's father.
(c) A brother of Merlyn's.
(d) A stepbrother of Meryln's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Athol come to accept Merlyn at the conclusion of Chapter 13?
2. When does Merlyn tell Ambrose that Arthur could become High King?
3. How does Athol feel when Donuil returns to Eire?
4. Who is Athol?
5. Why is Merlyn able to communicate so quickly with his captors in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a wild bear attacks the crowd just as Merlyn and his men are preparing for their cavalry display?
2. How do the men of Eire react to the size of the boar tusks that Dedalus shows them in Chapter 12?
3. What happens when Ironhair blocks Merlyn's way in Chapter 6?
4. What does Connor tell Merlyn, when he is his captive, he is going to do with Merlyn and baby Arthur?
5. What impression does Merlyn have of the leper colony after he leaves?
6. Why does Merlyn remove the ring from around baby Arthur's neck in Chapter 1?
7. What do Merlyn and his men realize after they are attacked by, and then kill, the wild boar in Chapter 11?
8. Why is Ludmilla familiar to Merlyn when they meet in Chapter 3?
9. What is problematic about Merlyn's decision to bring horses as a gift to Donuil's father?
10. What does Merlyn imagine the leper colony to be like before he arrives?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)