|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Hugh and Caitlin in Chapter 24?
2. Who helped Abby escape Wales?
3. What punishment is NOT one that Davydd receives?
4. When does Ellen learn that Edward will actually release her?
5. What does the new Pope do for Amaury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen reveal to Amaury about Hugh and Elund?
2. What news does Elund surprise everyone with in Chapter 28?
3. How does Abby find Hugh again at the end of the book?
4. Why does Julianna decide to leave in Chapter 33?
5. How does Caitlin tell Hugh her feelings about him, and how does he react?
6. As a rebellion between the English and Welsh appears inevitable in Chapter 25, how are Davydd and Llewelyn reacting differently?
7. How does Edmund talk Edward into truly agreed to seek peace?
8. What is offered the second time Edward sends John over to a peace offering, and how is this offering received.
9. What actions does Edward take in Chapter 22 to gain Llewelyn's trust and demonstrate that he plans to protect Llewelyn as his liege lord?
10. What is Edward's plan when he sends John Peckham to Llewelyn in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of loyalty throughout The Reckoning. Who demonstrates loyalty, and in what situations? Who does not demonstrate loyalty? How does loyalty affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Determine who the protagonist of this story is, and who or what is the antagonist.
Essay Topic 3
Hugh appears throughout The Reckoning in many different situations, building different relationships with many different characters. Please discuss Hugh's role in The Reckoning. What does his presence add to the plot? Why does the author include him?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)