|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Llewelyn come across on the road after fighting with Ellen?
2. Ellen explains to Llewelyn that she pretends to be nice to Edward only for ________'s sake.
3. When does Ellen learn that Edward will actually release her?
4. Llewelyn tells his men they must wait to go to war until when?
5. Who are Davydd and his family traveling to see in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen reveal to Amaury about Hugh and Elund?
2. What does Elizabeth lament to Hugh at the end of the book?
3. As a rebellion between the English and Welsh appears inevitable in Chapter 25, how are Davydd and Llewelyn reacting differently?
4. What news does Elund surprise everyone with in Chapter 28?
5. Why does Julianna decide to leave in Chapter 33?
6. After Davydd and the men learn of Llewelyn's death, what does Davydd have trouble with?
7. How does King Edward punish Davydd?
8. What is Edward's plan when he sends John Peckham to Llewelyn in Chapter 34?
9. What does Edward do on Llewelyn's wedding day to try and ruin it?
10. What actions does Edward take in Chapter 22 to gain Llewelyn's trust and demonstrate that he plans to protect Llewelyn as his liege lord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of loyalty throughout The Reckoning. Who demonstrates loyalty, and in what situations? Who does not demonstrate loyalty? How does loyalty affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of The Reckoning, identifying the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of betrayal is deeply connected to Davydd throughout The Reckoning. Discuss Davydd's many betrayals. Who has he betrayed and in what ways? How does Devaydd feeling about his betrayals? Has anyone betrayed Davydd?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)