|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what castle does King Edward want Llewelyn to swear homage in?
2. What is the name of the cog Ellen sails on to meet Llewelyn?
3. What was built in Powys territory, which angered the Powys lords and England?
4. What inhibits the murder plot in Chapter 9 from actually happening?
5. How old is Hugh de Whitton in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Llewelyn finally surrenders, what does he lose? Does he get to keep anything?
2. How and why does Davydd get married?
3. Describe Davydd's murder plot, and why it does not work.
4. What is unique about Nell de Montfort's living arrangement?
5. Why is Davydd not completely trusted?
6. How does Edward, as the new King of England, respond to Nell's request for help?
7. Describe the situation created for the Jews by Edward.
8. With what actions does Llewelyn respond in hearing the murder plot against him?
9. How does Hugh show great loyalty to Ellen in Chapter 15?
10. Who is Arwenna, and what happens to her in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Llewelyn and Ellen's marriage and relationship with Davydd and Elizabeth's marriage and relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Ellen and Caitlin both show that they are not confined by the gender role and expectations of their time and class. Compare and contrast these two women and how they broke through gender barriers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's extensive use of foreshadowing throughout The Reckoning. Where is it used? Is it used effectively? It is recognizable in the moment, or only in hindsight?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)