|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hugh live in Chapter 1?
2. Where does Simon win a large victory and capture King Henry?
3. Where has Owain been for 15 years?
4. What is Llewelyn seeking to honor by asking Nell what he does in Chapter 11?
5. Who is Thomas the Archdeacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nell express regrets about, and what does she want done before she dies?
2. What prisoner does Llewelyn speak with in Chapter 18, and why is that prisoner significant?
3. What is unique about Nell de Montfort's living arrangement?
4. How does Llewelyn end up preparing for war in Chapter 11?
5. What is Amaury's connection to the de Montfort brothers?
6. What is Amaury's prison experience like in Chapter 15?
7. Describe Davydd's murder plot, and why it does not work.
8. Who are the three crew members allowed to live in Chapter 13, and what happens to them?
9. Describe Ellen's travels in Chapter 12 to meet her husband.
10. How does Ellen stand up to the lead pirate, Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Davydd and Llewelyn's different strategies for a war or rebellion against England. What were the brothers' different reasons for their strategies? Whose made more sense, and why?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of betrayal is deeply connected to Davydd throughout The Reckoning. Discuss Davydd's many betrayals. Who has he betrayed and in what ways? How does Devaydd feeling about his betrayals? Has anyone betrayed Davydd?
Essay Topic 3
Hugh appears throughout The Reckoning in many different situations, building different relationships with many different characters. Please discuss Hugh's role in The Reckoning. What does his presence add to the plot? Why does the author include him?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)