|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What castle is Ellen taken to at the end of Chapter 13?
2. What is grown on the Island of Mon?
3. What do Llewelyn and his brother fight over?
4. How long does Davydd remind Llewelyn that he served on his counsel and was welcomed in his court without a falling out?
5. In Chapter 17, what does Ellen say is all she sees when she looks at Edward?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Davydd defend himself to Llewelyn regarding the murder plot when they meet privately?
2. With what actions does Llewelyn respond in hearing the murder plot against him?
3. When Llewelyn finally surrenders, what does he lose? Does he get to keep anything?
4. Describe Ellen's travels in Chapter 12 to meet her husband.
5. How do Davydd and Ellen end up meeting?
6. How does Ellen stand up to the lead pirate, Thomas?
7. Why does being injured in Chapter 6 end up making Edward even stronger?
8. Describe the battle that the occurred five years prior to the beginning of the novel.
9. Describe the situation created for the Jews by Edward.
10. What does Ellen want to sway Edward to do, and how is she advised to convince him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of loyalty throughout The Reckoning. Who demonstrates loyalty, and in what situations? Who does not demonstrate loyalty? How does loyalty affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Was justice rightfully served to Davydd and his family at the end of The Reckoning?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's extensive use of foreshadowing throughout The Reckoning. Where is it used? Is it used effectively? It is recognizable in the moment, or only in hindsight?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)