|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did John Winthrop pen a letter to his wife Margaret that said, “Yet for all these thinges (I prayse my God) I am not discouraged, nor doe I see cause to repent, or dispaire of those good dayes heere, which will make amends for all”?
2. What company was responsible for establishing a short-lived settlement on Cape Ann in 1624?
3. What did the Puritans believe “was the mother of heresy,” according to the author in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
4. Where did John Winthrop set up his headquarters when he moved the colony into the bay, according to the narrator in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
5. On what date did the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Company select John Winthrop as the governor of the new colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the beliefs of the Puritans when John Winthrop converted in Chapter 1: “The Taming of the Heart”?
2. How is John Winthrop’s family described in Chapter 1: “The Taming of the Heart”? What was John’s father’s profession?
3. What official statement did John Winthrop’s party pen prior to their departure, according to the author in Chapter 4: “The Way to a New England”?
4. What arguments did the Massachusetts Bay Company make regarding settlement in the New World in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place”?
5. How did the travels of John Winthrop’s sons influence his opinions of settlement in the New World, according to the author in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place”?
6. How does the author describe John Winthrop’s education in Chapter 1: “The Taming of the Heart”? When did John Winthrop leave school and marry?
7. What “technical oversight” allowed the Massachusetts Bay Company greater freedom from the crown, according to the author in Chapter 4: “The Way to a New England”?
8. How does the author describe the groups called the Presbyterians and the Congregationalists in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
9. How did the members of the Massachusetts Bay Company perceive the charter when they were told about it in Chapter 4: “The Way to a New England”? Why?
10. How did John Winthrop perceive the growing corruption within the English government, according to the author in Chapter 2: “Evil and Declining Times”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the freedoms granted by the Massachusetts Bay Colony charter regarding the establishment of government in the settlement. What did the charter stipulate in terms of meetings of the governing body? How was “government” defined in terms of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches we have today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe John Winthrop’s education. What role did John’s father play in the academic world? How privileged was John Winthrop in his pursuit of higher education at his time historically? Where did John Winthrop study? What did he study?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Winthrop’s initial election as governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Who voted in this election? Why was Winthrop chosen? What qualities did the leaders of the Massachusetts Bay Colony see in Winthrop that they felt would qualify him for a leadership position?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)