|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was chosen by the followers of Anne Hutchinson to serve as the official spokesperson for her views in 1636?
(a) Thomas Dudley
(b) John Wheelwright
(c) George Phillips
(d) Thomas Shepard
2. Thomas Dudley was angered that John Winthrop had allowed the people of Watertown to build a weir where, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
(a) On the Hudson River
(b) On the Charles River
(c) On the Mississippi River
(d) On the Merrimack River
3. How many graduates received diplomas in Harvard College’s first graduating class?
4. Which of John Winthrop’s sons settled in Ipswich?
(a) Henry Winthrop
(b) John Winthrop, Jr
(c) William Winthrop
(d) Paul Winthrop
5. When did Richard Bellingham arrive in Massachusetts?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pounds did the General Court usually pay John Winthrop per year while he was governor?
2. James Luxford worked for John Winthrop in what position?
3. In the spring of 1637, the author describes the Massachusetts Bay Colony’s involvement in a war with an Indian tribe. Where were the settlers that “bore the brunt of the fighting”?
4. Where was Anne Hutchinson born?
5. The author states in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government,” that when Winthrop and eleven other members of the Massachusetts Bay Company met “on August 26, 1629, they agreed to go to New England if the charter and headquarters of the company could be transferred with them.” How many of the twelve kept their pledge, arriving with Winthrop or shortly after?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Roger Williams go when he left Plymouth? Where did he begin a church and start to gain power, according to the author in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
2. What problems arose in the Massachusetts colony as a result of the outbreak of the English Civil War?
3. How did the Puritans perceive the relationship between church and state, according to the author in Chapter 11: “The New England Way”?
4. When was the “Body of Liberties” adopted in Massachusetts? What did this document contain?
5. What forced John Winthrop to reveal the stipulations of the charter to the colonists, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
6. What was the impact of the dispute between John Winthrop and the representatives regarding the stipulations of the charter, as seen in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
7. What were John Winthrop’s feelings about Roger Williams, according to the author in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
8. How does the author describe the changes in the colony during the years when John Winthrop was overthrown as governor in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
9. What led up to the banishment of Reverend Wheelwright, according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
10. What ordinance does the author describe Nathaniel Ward as having introduced in Chapter 11: “The New England Way”?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)