|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Winthrop, Jr. considered going to New England with Endecott’s group but instead went on a fourteen-month tour of what region, according to the author in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place”?
(a) The Mediterranean
(b) Tropical Asia
(c) The Canary Islands
(d) South America
2. In order to secure the Massachusetts Bay Company’s investors, an agreement was finally worked out whereby the remaining resources of the company would be managed for seven years by "undertakers." How many of these undertakers would be established in Massachusetts?
3. Who were the other three candidates for governor of the new colony that the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Company voted on, along with John Winthrop, prior to leaving England?
(a) William Bradford, John Haynes, and John Cotton
(b) William Blackstone, Richard Clough, and Nicholas Knopp
(c) Roger Ludlow, John Wilson, and William Bradford
(d) John Humfrey, Isaac Johnson, and Sir Richard Saltonstall
4. The Charter of the Virginia Company of London was an English joint stock company established by royal charter by whom?
(a) Queen Mary
(b) Queen Elizabeth I
(c) King Charles I
(d) King James I
5. Whom did James I appoint as Archbishop of Canterbury?
(a) George Abbott
(b) William Laud
(c) Thomas Fones
(d) Isaac Johnson
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of John Winthrop’s second wife?
2. What company established the Sagadahoc Colony in 1607 in present-day Maine?
3. Where had John Winthrop’s second eldest son, Henry, gone to make his fortune but returned in 1629 with expensive habits and no fortune?
4. How old was John and Margaret Winthrop’s son that stayed with Margaret when John Winthrop first set out for New England?
5. The author says in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place” that the idea of going to the New World was not novel in Winthrop’s time. Englishman “had drifted back and forth between England and the wilderness across the water” for over how many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Council for New England do with their royal grant in order to begin a colonization effort, according to the author in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place”?
2. What official statement did John Winthrop’s party pen prior to their departure, according to the author in Chapter 4: “The Way to a New England”?
3. In what ways did John Winthrop exhibit tolerance as a leader in New England, according to the author in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
4. How does the author describe the contents of John Winthrop’s documents regarding settlement in the New World in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place”?
5. What did Puritanism mean to John Winthrop in the 1610s and 1620s? How did his beliefs influence his actions, according to the author in Chapter 1: “The Taming of the Heart”?
6. How does the author describe the journey of John Winthrop’s fleet in Chapter 5: “Survival”? Where did the fleet cast anchor in America?
7. How did the travels of John Winthrop’s sons influence his opinions of settlement in the New World, according to the author in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place”?
8. How does the author describe John Winthrop’s education in Chapter 1: “The Taming of the Heart”? When did John Winthrop leave school and marry?
9. What was the Puritan relationship with Parliament in England, according to the author in Chapter 2: “Evil and Declining Times”?
10. What controversies and disputes did John Winthrop have to oversee before the company’s departure, according to the author in Chapter 4: “The Way to a New England”?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)