|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11: The New England Way.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Adam Winthrop purchase the confiscated monastery at Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk?
2. Who is quoted in Chapter 11: “The New England Way” as having said “if the people be governors, who shall be governed?”
(a) Thomas Shepard
(b) George Phillips
(c) Henry Winthrop
(d) John Cotton
3. Where did Roger Williams go after he became dissatisfied with the church in Plymouth in 1633?
4. What group of the New England Puritans wanted to destroy the bishops and then let each individual church be sufficient to itself, according to the author in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
(a) The Calvinists
(b) The Congregationalists
(c) The Presbyterians
(d) The Roundheads
5. Who was elected governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1634?
(a) Thomas Dudley
(b) Roger Williams
(c) Nathaniel Ward
(d) William Bradford
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the other three candidates for governor of the new colony that the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Company voted on, along with John Winthrop, prior to leaving England?
2. John Winthrop worked in London as counsel to a Parliamentary committee engaged in drafting legislation, and following this, he was appointed what government job?
3. What was the name of John and Margaret Winthrop’s youngest son that stayed with Margaret when John Winthrop first set out for New England?
4. Who had been governing the colony under instruction from the company in England before Winthrop and the others arrived, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”?
5. The Charter of the Virginia Company of London was an English joint stock company established by royal charter by whom?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)