|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11: The New England Way.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What minister does the author describe in 1633 as giving a lecture in Boston when he was questioned on whether or not women ought to wear veils in church in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
(a) Reverend John Wilson
(b) Reverend John Cotton
(c) Reverend George Phillips
(d) Reverend John Wheelwright
2. According to the narrator in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed,” John Winthrop believed that the most effective weapons against separatism were “argument, admonition, and” what?
3. The first church within the boundaries of Massachusetts Bay to be founded in the congregational manner was "gathered" on what date, according to the author in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
(a) May 15, 1629
(b) December 6, 1615
(c) July 20, 1629
(d) March 28, 1605
4. Thomas Dudley was angered that John Winthrop had constructed a fort where, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
(a) In Boston
(b) In Medford
(c) In Merrimack
(d) In Salem
5. After Winthrop moved the colony headquarters to Charlestown, he summoned the assistants for their first meeting on what date?
(a) October 19, 1630
(b) May 15, 1629
(c) August 23, 1630
(d) February 2, 1626
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was elected deputy governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1634?
2. Who succeeded Mary Tudor as the ruler of England?
3. When did William and Anne Hutchinson first arrive in Boston?
4. What did the Puritans believe “was the mother of heresy,” according to the author in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
5. The author asserts in the beginning of Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed” that “As long as Winthrop held the reins of government he held them” how?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)