|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11: The New England Way.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thomas Dudley was angered that John Winthrop lent twenty-eight pounds of what to Plymouth colony without authorization, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
(a) Cured meat
2. What were the three arrangements that John Winthrop had to oversee once he was voted as governor for the new colony and prior to departure from England?
(a) Trading routes, financial funds, and communication with the natives
(b) Ships, provisions, and passengers
(c) Livestock, housing, and furniture
(d) Ships, the establishment of the mint, and trade routes
3. Anne Hutchinson is said to have gained a wide acquaintance in Boston by serving as what, according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
(a) A royal servant
(b) A church leader
(c) A midwife
(d) A baker
4. The first glimpse that the Puritans aboard John Winthrop’s ships got of New England was the hills of what Maine town, according to the author in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
(a) Mount Desert
5. In what year was Richard Bellingham first elected as governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Roger Williams studied divinity?
2. When was Mary Tudor born?
3. How old was John Winthrop when he married for the third time?
4. What does the author say “was responsible for suppressing heresy as well as drunkenness and theft and murder” in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
5. On what date did John Winthrop’s ships pass the Isles of Shoals, where a ship lay at anchor, upon arriving in the New World?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)