|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9: Separation Unleashed.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon arriving in the New World, John Winthrop’s shops sailed through the channel between Bakers Island and Little Island and cast anchor where, according to the author in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
(a) Richards Cove
(b) Humboldt Bay
(c) Plum Cove
(d) Jamestown Cove
2. How many of the previous Salem settlers had died in the preceding winter when John Winthrop arrived with his fleet, according to the author in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
3. The author states in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place” that “Winthrop knew that in England he was not tall enough to do anything effective for the cause of God against the towering ungodliness of” whom?
(a) Queen Elizabeth
(b) King James
(c) Queen Mary
(d) King Charles
4. What pastor in Watertown and Winthrop's neighbor back in England caused problems by teaching that the Roman Catholic Church was a legitimate body of Christians?
(a) Reverend John Wilson
(b) Reverend George Phillips
(c) Reverend William Blackstone
(d) Reverend John Wheelwright
5. How old was John Winthrop when he married his first wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What individual that later became a leading figure in Connecticut is said to have grown “into passion and said, that then we should have no government, but there would be an interim, wherein every man might do what he pleased” in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
2. What son of John Winthrop’s died by drowning just a few days after the arrival in the New World?
3. Arminianism is based on the theological ideas of what Dutch Reformed theologian?
4. Of the plan developed for governing the proposed colony by the Massachusetts Bay Company, the author says in Chapter 4: “The Way to a New England,” “The colony would not be a mere commercial enterprise, nor would it be simply a hiding place from the wrath of God. It would be instead” what?
5. Who were the other three candidates for governor of the new colony that the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Company voted on, along with John Winthrop, prior to leaving England?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)