|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9: Separation Unleashed.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what famous sermon by John Winthrop, delivered en route to Massachusetts, did he first apply the phrase “City upon a Hill” to the founding of America?
(a) A Model of Christian Charity
(b) On the Danger of an Unconverted Ministry
(c) Approbate Consuetudinis
(d) Peak of Eloquence
2. The author states in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place” that “Winthrop knew that in England he was not tall enough to do anything effective for the cause of God against the towering ungodliness of” whom?
(a) King Charles
(b) Queen Mary
(c) King James
(d) Queen Elizabeth
3. At the first meeting summoned by Winthrop in Charlestown, how many assistants were present, in addition to himself and Thomas Dudley?
4. The author asserts in the beginning of Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed” that “As long as Winthrop held the reins of government he held them” how?
5. The Charter of the Virginia Company of London was an English joint stock company established by royal charter by whom?
(a) King James I
(b) Queen Mary
(c) King Charles I
(d) Queen Elizabeth I
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years before John Winthrop’s arrival in the New World had Samuel Maverick arrived with his bride and built a house?
2. What was the name of John Winthrop’s second wife?
3. Who wrote to Winthrop in a letter, regarding the ordinances in the colony, that by treating temptation as a sin, it was making “more sins than (as yet is seene) God himself hath made,” according to the author in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
4. In order to secure the Massachusetts Bay Company’s investors, an agreement was finally worked out whereby the remaining resources of the company would be managed for seven years by "undertakers." How many of these undertakers would be established in Massachusetts?
5. John Winthrop worked in London as counsel to a Parliamentary committee engaged in drafting legislation, and following this, he was appointed what government job?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)