|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: A Special Commission.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Winthrop and his fellow Puritans published a statement maintaining their love for the Church of England and insisting that they were not separatists, which they issued from their ship on what date?
(a) March 27, 1625
(b) July 28, 1629
(c) April 29, 1618
(d) April 7, 1630
2. On what date did John Winthrop marry Margaret Tyndal?
(a) April 7, 1630
(b) May 15, 1629
(c) April 29, 1618
(d) July 28, 1629
3. On what date did John Winthrop marry his second wife?
(a) February 2, 1626
(b) April 29, 1618
(c) May 15, 1629
(d) December 6, 1615
4. Where did John Winthrop enroll to study law in 1613?
(a) Tameside College
(b) Gray’s Inn
(c) Stafford College
(d) Uxbridge College
5. What minister is quoted in the book as having said of his apprehension of leaving England, “The Lord made me feare my affliction came in part for running too far in a way of separation from the mixt Assemblies in England: tho I blesse God I have ever beleeved that there are true churches in many parishes in England where the Lord sets up able men and ministers of his gospell; and I have abhorred to refuse to heare any able minister in England”?
(a) Nathaniel Ward
(b) Nicholas Knopp
(c) Roger Williams
(d) Thomas Shepard
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was John Winthrop when he married his first wife?
2. Regarding the use of alcohol, the Puritans imposed a self-denying ordinance that forbade what?
3. What son of John Winthrop’s died by drowning just a few days after the arrival in the New World?
4. What does the author say “was responsible for suppressing heresy as well as drunkenness and theft and murder” in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
5. Since what year had there been a fairly substantial group of colonists at Cape Ann, according to the author in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place”?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)