|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: A Special Commission.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did John Winthrop’s eldest son, John Jr., come of age?
2. Where did John Winthrop set up his headquarters when he moved the colony into the bay, according to the narrator in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
(b) Cape Sable
(d) Mount Desert
3. Who is described as “one of the Puritans’ most illustrious preachers” and spoke before the House of Commons in the summer of 1625?
(a) Reverend George Phillips
(b) Reverend John Endecott
(c) Reverend John Preston
(d) Reverend Thomas Shepard
4. In what year did John Winthrop’s second wife die?
5. Of whom does the author say in Chapter 2: “Evil and Declining Times,” “[T]heir defiance was also a desertion. They failed their fellow men. They abandoned a charity to which the Puritans held fast”?
(a) The Calvinists
(b) The Presbyterians
(c) The Congregationalists
(d) The separatists
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had John Winthrop’s second eldest son, Henry, gone to make his fortune but returned in 1629 with expensive habits and no fortune?
2. Upon arriving in the New World, John Winthrop’s shops sailed through the channel between Bakers Island and Little Island and cast anchor where, according to the author in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
3. In what year did King Charles I ascend the throne of England?
4. What is the approximate distance between London, England, and Boston, Massachusetts?
5. How many colonists came to the New World to establish the Sagadahoc Colony in 1607?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)