|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Evil and Declining Times.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Winthrop worked in London as counsel to a Parliamentary committee engaged in drafting legislation, and following this, he was appointed what government job?
(a) Common attorney in Her Majesty’s Court of Wards and Liveries
(b) Common attorney in His Majesty’s Court of Wards and Liveries
(c) Common attorney in the People’s Court of Wards and Liveries
(d) Common attorney in the Parliamentary Court of Wards and Liveries
2. Who is described as “one of the Puritans’ most illustrious preachers” and spoke before the House of Commons in the summer of 1625?
(a) Reverend John Endecott
(b) Reverend George Phillips
(c) Reverend Thomas Shepard
(d) Reverend John Preston
3. What was the profession of Adam Winthrop prior to his purchase of the confiscated monastery at Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk?
(a) He was a cloth merchant
(b) He was a surgeon
(c) He was a wheat farmer
(d) He was a spice merchant
4. In what year did the English navy defeat the Spanish Armada, ensuring that the Catholic Church could not recapture England?
5. On what date did John Winthrop become officially engaged to Mary Forth?
(a) April 29, 1618
(b) March 28, 1605
(c) April 7, 1630
(d) August 26, 1629
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John Winthrop enroll to study law in 1613?
2. In what year did John Winthrop’s first wife, Mary Forth Winthrop, die?
3. On what date did Charles I formally dissolve the English Parliament?
4. What was the name of John Winthrop’s second wife?
5. What was the name of John Winthrop’s younger sister who married Emmanuel Downing?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)