|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one image Michael sees in the clouds?
2. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
3. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
4. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
5. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abe Greenfield and his problem at opening of Chapter 8.
2. What does Danny tell Reuven about Michael?
3. About what is Reuven's father happy?
4. What does Reuven think about the reason for orthodox Jews to become so stubborn?
5. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
6. What does Reuven argue at his smicha exam and why is that upsetting to Kalman and Gershenson?
7. Who does Reuven call the day after sailing with Michael and what is the result?
8. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
9. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
10. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reuven asks his father about Kotzker, who it turns out is an eccentric rabbi who has shut himself up in a room for twenty years and has disagreements with many Hasidic sects.
Discuss the following:
1. Research the historical Kotzker Rebbe and write an informative essay on him and how the historical facts match up with what is said in The Promise.
2. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a scholar isolating himself for twenty years.
3. Can you ever think of a reason you would isolate yourself for twenty years?
4. Relate the anecdote about Kotzker Rebbe to the theme of silence in the Promise. What other situations are related to the theme of silence? Who tries to silence other? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Michael hates orthodox Jews because he thinks they try to keep people from speaking the truth as the person sees it. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of truth in The Promise. Is there one truth? Many truths? Does any character have "the truth"?
2. Many wars have been fought over the concept of "the truth." Discuss one war that was waged over a difference in the perception of truth and what the core issue(s) was. Relate your research back to The Promise.
3. Thoroughly discucss one thing you think is absolutely true and then relate your beliefs in that truth to one character's beliefs about the truth in The Promise.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, Reuven is in Kalman's class, but their encounter is brief. Kalman says nothing to Reuven and Reuven feels hatred for him. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Reuven's hatred for Kalman is justified?
2. Can this difference of ideology between Kalman and Reuven be a metaphor for the differences between any two people/groups/nations that have ideological differences? Explain fully.
3. Why do you think most people want others to believe the way they do? Is this healthy? Does it contribute to peace or conflict?
This section contains 3,032 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)