|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
2. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
3. How is Michael doing?
4. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
5. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reuven's visit with Danny.
2. How does Danny's father raise Danny?
3. What rumors infuriate Reuven and his father?
4. What happens between October and December for Reuven?
5. How does the narrator's neighborhood change in the early 1950s?
6. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
7. Describe Reuven and Michael's phone conversation.
8. Who is Nota Finkel and for what is he noted?
9. What does Danny tell Reuven about Michael?
10. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Rav Kalman says he wants to impress upon the class the importance of choosing Torah over all else. Kalman says that he could only give his approval to students who put it above all else because he had had one of the greatest teachers of Torah in the world, and since his teacher had been killed, as had all his European students, his approval is the lone approval of an entire great line of Torah commentators. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Rav Kalman means by the statement that his lone approval of an entire great line of Torah commentators?
2. What is the definition of tradition?
3. How important do you think tradition is in matters of religious belief?
4. Should religious belief change with cultural beliefs? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Promise.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Promise. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Promiise. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Kalman reminds Reuven that Professor Gordon was excommunicated and demands that Reuven respect the excommunication by dissociating from Gordon. Discuss the following:
1. What is ex-communication in the Jewish tradition? What are the reasons for ex-communicating someone?
2. Do other religions practice ex-communication? Which ones? What are the reasons for ex-communicating someone?
3. Does ex-communication seem like a good way to deal with a dissenter? Why or why not?
4. How is ex-communication a form of control?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)