|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michael begin treatment?
2. Who says it is not a good day to visit?
3. How is Rachel's aunt helping Professor Gordon?
4. Who is Abraham Gordon?
5. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the topic of Michael's long-winded monologue to Reuven?
2. How does Danny become involved with the Gordon family?
3. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss about Michael?
4. Describe Reuven and Michael's phone conversation.
5. Describe the elderly man who is the father of the booth attendant at the dice game.
6. Who is Nota Finkel and for what is he noted?
7. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
8. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
9. Describe the game which Michael is playing and which is making Reuven and Rachel nervous for him.
10. What does Kalman discuss with Reuven after class concerning Professor Gordon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kalman reminds Reuven that Professor Gordon was excommunicated and demands that Reuven respect the excommunication by dissociating from Gordon. Discuss the following:
1. What is ex-communication in the Jewish tradition? What are the reasons for ex-communicating someone?
2. Do other religions practice ex-communication? Which ones? What are the reasons for ex-communicating someone?
3. Does ex-communication seem like a good way to deal with a dissenter? Why or why not?
4. How is ex-communication a form of control?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, the narrator says that Danny is raised by his father with a barrier of silence - they only spoke when they studied Talmud. This was to teach Danny suffering. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Rebbe Saunders' method of raising Danny helped him to learn about suffering?
2. What else do you think it may have taught Danny?
3. Why do you think Rebbe Saunders thinks Danny needs to learn suffering?
4. Do you think Danny's mother had any say in the way Danny is raised in silence?
Essay Topic 3
Michael hates orthodox Jews because he thinks they try to keep people from speaking the truth as the person sees it. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of truth in The Promise. Is there one truth? Many truths? Does any character have "the truth"?
2. Many wars have been fought over the concept of "the truth." Discuss one war that was waged over a difference in the perception of truth and what the core issue(s) was. Relate your research back to The Promise.
3. Thoroughly discucss one thing you think is absolutely true and then relate your beliefs in that truth to one character's beliefs about the truth in The Promise.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)