Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
2. Who is David Malter?
3. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
4. What does Reuven's father finish?
5. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reb Saunders tell Reuven and what does Reuven do?
2. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
3. Describe Reuven's visit with Danny.
4. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
5. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
6. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
7. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
8. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
9. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
10. Who does Reuven call the day after sailing with Michael and what is the result?
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Reuven Malter and Daniel Saunders. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Is either man's cause more worthy than the other? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of David Malter and Rav Kalman. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Much of The Promise concerns theology. Many of the major characters are either Rabbis or studying to become a Rabbi. Michael, who is still a boy, makes perhasp some of the most interesting statements about god. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Michael means when he says "God is smoke"?
2. Michael says he cannot get God out of his mind--discuss that statement in light of Michael's personality.
3. Are Michael's problems mostly spiritual; mostly psychological, or a combination of the two? Discuss thoroughly with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Promise based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Promise is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that The Promise deals with a very specific, narrow subject matter changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)