|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Professor Gordon ask Reuben?
2. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
3. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
4. Who was Nota Finkel?
5. What is one topic of conversation between Reuven and Michael the next day after the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the elderly man who is the father of the booth attendant at the dice game.
2. What has Reuven's father completed during the Fall and early Winter?
3. Describe Rav Kalman.
4. Describe Reuven's visit with Danny.
5. About whom does Rachel ask Reuven and what is his reply?
6. What happens between October and December for Reuven?
7. Where do Michael and Reuven go the day after the fair, and what does Reuven teach Michael?
8. When does Michael get a nosebleed at the fair, and what do Reuven and Rachel do?
9. What does Michael tell Reuven about Michael's nosebleeds?
10. What does Kalman discuss with Reuven after class concerning Professor Gordon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Promise, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy (or at least optimistic) note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Promise and whether or not The Promise fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Promise is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In The Promise, the most visible and important characters are male. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Rachael is as capable (or more so) than Reuven or Daniel? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was in a difficult position with Rav Kalman? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not?
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Promise.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Promise. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Promiise. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)