|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one adjective that describes Kalman?
2. Why are the Gordons angry with Rachel?
3. What does Michael see in himself?
4. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
5. What does Reuven's father finish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rav Kalman.
2. How does the narrator's neighborhood change in the early 1950s?
3. What does Reuven say about the Hasid?
4. What has Reuven's father completed during the Fall and early Winter?
5. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
6. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
7. How does Danny's father raise Danny?
8. About whom does Rachel ask Reuven and what is his reply?
9. What are the narrator's plans for his schooling and what were the influences on his choice?
10. Where does Professor Gordon invite Reuven and what does Reuven do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Promise, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy (or at least optimistic) note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Promise and whether or not The Promise fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Promise is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, the narrator says that Danny is raised by his father with a barrier of silence - they only spoke when they studied Talmud. This was to teach Danny suffering. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Rebbe Saunders' method of raising Danny helped him to learn about suffering?
2. What else do you think it may have taught Danny?
3. Why do you think Rebbe Saunders thinks Danny needs to learn suffering?
4. Do you think Danny's mother had any say in the way Danny is raised in silence?
Essay Topic 3
In The Promise, the most visible and important characters are male. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Rachael is as capable (or more so) than Reuven or Daniel? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was in a difficult position with Rav Kalman? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not?
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference? Explain your response.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)