Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
2. Who is David Malter?
3. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
4. What does Reuven's father finish?
5. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reb Saunders tell Reuven and what does Reuven do?
2. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
3. Describe Reuven's visit with Danny.
4. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
5. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
6. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
7. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
8. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
9. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
10. Who does Reuven call the day after sailing with Michael and what is the result?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Professor Gordon is at a conservative seminary and David Malter is at a liberal seminary . Find two other incidences of irony in The Promise and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in The Promise.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in The Promise.
Essay Topic 2
Michael hates orthodox Jews because he thinks they try to keep people from speaking the truth as the person sees it. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of truth in The Promise. Is there one truth? Many truths? Does any character have "the truth"?
2. Many wars have been fought over the concept of "the truth." Discuss one war that was waged over a difference in the perception of truth and what the core issue(s) was. Relate your research back to The Promise.
3. Thoroughly discucss one thing you think is absolutely true and then relate your beliefs in that truth to one character's beliefs about the truth in The Promise.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3, the narrator relates that Rav Kalman is a survivor of a Nazi concentration camp. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write a brief informative essay on the Nazi concentration camps of WWII. Why were they established? Who was sent to them? How many died there? How many survived? Offer your own thoughts about the concentration camps.
2. What sort of emotional and psychological damage do you think Rav Kalman could be suffering from as a result of having lived through the experience of a concentration camp?
3. Why do you think Rav Kalman came out of the camp with a still-firm faith in his God?
4. Do you think the concentration camp experience caused very many survivors to abandon their faith in God?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)