|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has shut himself up for twenty years?
(a) Reuven's uncle.
(b) Kotzker Rebbe.
(c) The man who lives on Reuven's street.
(d) Reuven's great-grandmother.
2. What does Michael burn?
(a) A copy of Mein Kampf.
(b) A copy of the Tanach.
(c) A copy of the excommunication writ against his father.
(d) The trash on the floor.
3. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
(c) Being underweight.
(d) Being overweight.
4. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(b) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
(c) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
(d) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
5. Why has the population of the narrator's neighborhood grown rapidly by 1950?
(a) The government offered free housing to people who would work in the factories there during the war.
(b) The population has not increased much at all.
(c) People are escaping persecution in other countries.
(d) A high birth rate after the end of WWII.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michael hate orthodox Jews?
2. Why does Reuven say he visited the Frankel library?
3. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
4. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
5. About whom does Rachel ask Reuven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuven reveal in a flashback?
2. How does the narrator's neighborhood change in the early 1950s?
3. What are the narrator's plans for his schooling and what were the influences on his choice?
4. About whom does Rachel ask Reuven and what is his reply?
5. What has Reuven's father completed during the Fall and early Winter?
6. How does Danny's father raise Danny?
7. How does Reuven know Professor Gordon?
8. What does Reuven say about the Hasid?
9. Who does the narrator meet in Spring of 1950 that changes his view some about his religion?
10. What does Michael tell Reuven about Michael's nosebleeds?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)