|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sect is the seminary that Reuven attends?
2. How was Danny taught about suffering by his father?
(a) Danny's father shows him pictures of bombed cities.
(b) Danny's father makes him beg at Coney Island on Saturdays.
(c) Danny's father only spoke to him when studying the Talmud.
(d) Danny's father takes him to post-WWII Germany.
3. What does Michael see in himself?
(a) Some of his father.
(b) A cynic.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) A passionate truth seeker.
4. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
(a) The writ of excommication of Professor Gordon.
(b) Texts by Gemora.
(c) Parts of Kalman's newest publication.
(d) The laws of ex-communication.
5. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
(a) Reuven's father.
(b) Reuven's oldest brother.
(c) Rabbi Rav Kalman
(d) Professor Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Gordons angry with Rachel?
2. What do Michael and Reuven talk about as far as the clouds go?
3. About what is the narrator's father writing a book?
4. Why can't Danny meet with Professor Gordon?
5. To whom does the conversation between Danny and Reuven turn after talking about Rachel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the elderly man who is the father of the booth attendant at the dice game.
2. How does Danny's father raise Danny?
3. What are the narrator's plans for his schooling and what were the influences on his choice?
4. How does Danny become involved with the Gordon family?
5. Describe the game which Michael is playing and which is making Reuven and Rachel nervous for him.
6. Where do Michael and Reuven go the day after the fair, and what does Reuven teach Michael?
7. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
8. What happens between October and December for Reuven?
9. What has Reuven's father completed during the Fall and early Winter?
10. Describe Rav Kalman.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)