|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reuven's father finish?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) Building a prayer room onto the house.
(c) A series of lectures at local Jewish Zionist chapters.
(d) A textbook for his students about zoology.
2. What do Michael and Reuven talk about as far as the clouds go?
(a) Whether they portend a storm.
(b) What the shapes look like.
(c) If the clouds are solid in another dimension.
(d) If they can support angels.
3. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
(d) He is not yet named.
4. Who is Abraham Gordon?
(a) Rachel Gorden's father.
(b) A man who escaped from Ravensbrook.
(c) The temple cantor.
(d) A professor who is hated by the Jewish orthodoxy.
5. What does Kalman ask Reuven one day after class?
(a) If Rueven was associating with Professor Gorden at Frankel library.
(b) If Reuven's father could give Kalman a call.
(c) If Reuven wants to be his research assistant.
(d) If Reuven is dating Rachel Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Reuven to talk with Michael?
2. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
3. What is one thing that is established in the narrator's neighborhood as it becomes more populous?
4. About whom does Michael fantasize?
5. Why has the population of the narrator's neighborhood grown rapidly by 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between October and December for Reuven?
2. What is the topic of Michael's long-winded monologue to Reuven?
3. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
4. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
5. Describe the elderly man who is the father of the booth attendant at the dice game.
6. Describe Rav Kalman.
7. Describe the game which Michael is playing and which is making Reuven and Rachel nervous for him.
8. What does Reuven say about the Hasid?
9. What rumors infuriate Reuven and his father?
10. What does Michael tell Reuven about Michael's nosebleeds?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)