|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is David Malter?
(a) Reuven's father.
(b) Reuven's grandfather.
(c) Reuven's neighbor.
(d) Michael's uncle.
2. What does Michael do that he is cheated out of?
(a) He wins a trophy.
(b) He throws three baseballs in the holes.
(c) He knocks the milk bottoms over.
3. What does Michael burn?
(a) The trash on the floor.
(b) A copy of the Tanach.
(c) A copy of the excommunication writ against his father.
(d) A copy of Mein Kampf.
4. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
(a) Very little.
(b) That Michael is doing quite well.
(c) That his case appears hopeless.
(d) That Michael is in a permanent facility for the mentally ill.
5. Who is Giordano Bruno?
(a) A famous doctor from Sicily.
(b) A famous painter from Italy.
(c) The neighborhood baker.
(d) A man burned at the stake for preaching that the stars were suns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michael get a nosebleed?
2. Who is Danny?
3. Where does Reuven go the day after the fair?
4. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
5. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reuven's visit with Danny.
2. What does Michael say about the universe when he is back home after the fair?
3. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
4. How does the narrator's neighborhood change in the early 1950s?
5. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss about Michael?
6. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
7. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
8. What happens between October and December for Reuven?
9. Describe Reuven and Michael's phone conversation.
10. Describe the game which Michael is playing and which is making Reuven and Rachel nervous for him.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)