|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says it is not a good day to visit?
(b) Professor Gordon.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
2. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
(a) Many Hasidic sects.
(b) The Zionists.
(c) The reformed Jews.
(d) No one.
3. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
4. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
(a) A book on interpreting techniques.
(b) A book about some very obscure passages in the Talmud.
(c) A book on ethics.
(d) A book on the reasons for excommunication of a member of the Jewish community.
5. To what time does a flashback go?
(a) January, 1950.
(b) Fall, 1949.
(c) Fall, 1949.
(d) January, 1948.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one image Michael sees in the clouds?
2. For what purpose does Professor Gordon want Reuven to bring his friend Daniel Saunders to the Gordon home?
3. According to Reuven, what will happen to the Hasid if they do not change?
4. Why is Professor Gordon exhausted at the opening to Chapter 4?
5. Who has gotten in fist fights with others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss about Michael?
2. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
3. Who is Nota Finkel and for what is he noted?
4. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
5. What does Reuven reveal in a flashback?
6. What are the narrator's plans for his schooling and what were the influences on his choice?
7. When does Michael get a nosebleed at the fair, and what do Reuven and Rachel do?
8. What does Kalman discuss with Reuven after class concerning Professor Gordon?
9. Describe the elderly man who is the father of the booth attendant at the dice game.
10. What does Reuven say about the Hasid?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)