|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Professor Gordon exhausted at the opening to Chapter 4?
(a) Because he has had the flu.
(b) From his worldwide travels.
(c) From working so hard on a new book.
(d) From a speaking engagment in San Francisco.
2. What happens to Michael between the time of his breaking down at the fair and then arriving home?
(a) He is arrested for disrespect to a police officer.
(c) He blacks out.
(d) He gets a ticket.
3. What does Michael see in himself?
(a) A passionate truth seeker.
(b) A cynic.
(c) Some of his father.
(d) His grandfather.
4. Who says it is not a good day to visit?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
5. What is Rachel urging Michael to do?
(a) Stop rolling the dice.
(b) See a doctor.
(c) Buy her a candied apple.
(d) Go home to rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
2. What does Professor Gordon look over at the Zechariah Frankel library?
3. What does Reuven decide to teach Michael?
4. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
5. Who is Abraham Gordon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator's neighborhood change in the early 1950s?
2. What does Danny tell Reuven about Michael?
3. Who is Nota Finkel and for what is he noted?
4. What are the narrator's plans for his schooling and what were the influences on his choice?
5. What does Michael tell Reuven about Michael's nosebleeds?
6. What does Reuven say about the Hasid?
7. When does Michael get a nosebleed at the fair, and what do Reuven and Rachel do?
8. What does Reuven reveal in a flashback?
9. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
10. Who does the narrator meet in Spring of 1950 that changes his view some about his religion?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)