|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(a) He breaks down.
(b) He hits the elderly man.
(d) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
2. Why does Reuven say he visited the Frankel library?
(a) To meet with Rachel.
(b) To meet with a friend who lives nearby.
(c) To sign a petition to the city about discrimination.
(d) To help his father in research.
3. What does Kalman ask of Reuven?
(a) To ask Reuven's father if he approves of the association.
(b) To read up on why Professor Gordon is ex-communicated.
(c) To respect the excommunication writ.
(d) To stop dating Rachel Gordon.
4. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
(a) Being overweight.
(c) Being underweight.
5. Who does Michael see briefly?
(b) His grandparents who are visiting from Israel.
(c) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
2. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
3. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
4. What does Michael burn?
5. When does Michael begin treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the topic of Michael's long-winded monologue to Reuven?
2. Who does Reuven call the day after sailing with Michael and what is the result?
3. How does Danny's father raise Danny?
4. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
5. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
6. Who does the narrator meet in Spring of 1950 that changes his view some about his religion?
7. Where does Professor Gordon invite Reuven and what does Reuven do?
8. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
9. How does the narrator's neighborhood change in the early 1950s?
10. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)