|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Danny?
(a) Reuven's younger brother.
(b) The grocery boy.
(c) Reuven's first cousin.
(d) Reuven's best friend.
2. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
(b) Being overweight.
(d) Being underweight.
3. Where does Reuven go the day after the fair?
(a) Times Square.
(b) Coney Island.
(c) The beach.
(d) The Empire State Building.
4. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(a) He hits the elderly man.
(c) He breaks down.
(d) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
5. Who is the Jewish, elderly man who comes up to Reuven, Rachel and Michael?
(a) Michael's grandfather.
(b) A visiting Rabbi from Israel.
(c) The booth attendant's father.
(d) The local Rabbi.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the conversation between Danny and Reuven turn after talking about Rachel?
2. What happens to Michael between the time of his breaking down at the fair and then arriving home?
3. What is one topic of conversation between Reuven and Michael the next day after the fair?
4. What does Michael do that he is cheated out of?
5. What sect is the seminary that Reuven attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
2. About whom does Rachel ask Reuven and what is his reply?
3. What does Reuven reveal in a flashback?
4. What are the narrator's plans for his schooling and what were the influences on his choice?
5. Who does the narrator meet in Spring of 1950 that changes his view some about his religion?
6. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
7. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
8. Describe the game which Michael is playing and which is making Reuven and Rachel nervous for him.
9. What is the topic of Michael's long-winded monologue to Reuven?
10. What happens between October and December for Reuven?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)