|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of an emergency has Danny had in this chapter that tires him?
(a) The hospital where Daniel works catches fire.
(b) An emergency with a schizophrenic boy.
(c) His father dies.
(d) His house catches fire.
2. Who asks Reuven to talk with Michael?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(c) Reuven's father.
(d) Rachel Gordon.
3. What does Reuven's father finish?
(a) Building a prayer room onto the house.
(b) A textbook for his students about zoology.
(c) A series of lectures at local Jewish Zionist chapters.
(d) His manuscript.
4. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
(a) Being interned in a concentration camp.
(b) Fleeing Germany New Zealand in the late 1930s.
(c) The death of the Rabbi's oldest daughter.
(d) Fighting in the Jewish underground in Germany.
5. Where does Reuven go the day after the fair?
(a) The beach.
(b) The Empire State Building.
(c) Times Square.
(d) Coney Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that is established in the narrator's neighborhood as it becomes more populous?
2. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
3. What does Kalman ask of Reuven?
4. Who was Nota Finkel?
5. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reuven and Michael's phone conversation.
2. What rumors infuriate Reuven and his father?
3. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
4. What does Reuven reveal in a flashback?
5. How does Danny's father raise Danny?
6. What does Michael say about orthodox Jews?
7. Describe Rav Kalman.
8. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
9. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
10. What does Reuven say about the Hasid?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)