|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(a) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
(c) He breaks down.
(d) He hits the elderly man.
2. Who is David Malter?
(a) Michael's uncle.
(b) Reuven's father.
(c) Reuven's grandfather.
(d) Reuven's neighbor.
3. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
(a) The death of the Rabbi's oldest daughter.
(b) Fighting in the Jewish underground in Germany.
(c) Fleeing Germany New Zealand in the late 1930s.
(d) Being interned in a concentration camp.
4. What does Reuven's father finish?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) Building a prayer room onto the house.
(c) A series of lectures at local Jewish Zionist chapters.
(d) A textbook for his students about zoology.
5. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
(a) That Reuven is going to be dismissed from seminary.
(b) That Reuven plans to marry Rachel Gordon.
(c) That Reuven is going to apply to Professor Gordon's seminary.
(d) That Kalman has a personal vendetta against Professor Gordon,
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the population of the narrator's neighborhood grown rapidly by 1950?
2. Who has been seeing Rachel more and more?
3. When does Michael begin treatment?
4. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
5. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reb Saunders tell Reuven and what does Reuven do?
2. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
3. Describe Reuven's visit with Danny.
4. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
5. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
6. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
7. How does Reuven work out a way to meet Professor Gordon?
8. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
9. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
10. Who does Reuven call the day after sailing with Michael and what is the result?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)