|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Danny meet with Professor Gordon?
(a) He has to work.
(b) He is in Europe.
(c) He has an emergency.
(d) He is ill.
2. Who is Giordano Bruno?
(a) A famous doctor from Sicily.
(b) A man burned at the stake for preaching that the stars were suns.
(c) The neighborhood baker.
(d) A famous painter from Italy.
3. About what is the narrator's father writing a book?
(a) The Talmud.
(c) The crusades.
(d) Peaceful negotiations.
4. What is one thing Danny and Reuven discuss?
(a) The books on Danny's book shelves.
(b) War reparations from Germany.
5. Where is the setting at the opening of the Introduction?
(a) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny say about Michael?
2. What problem has Professor Gordon had?
3. What is one image Michael sees in the clouds?
4. About what does Michael feel bad?
5. What does Michael burn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the narrator meet in Spring of 1950 that changes his view some about his religion?
2. Describe the neighborhood in which the narrator lives at the opening of the The Promise.
3. Who does Reuven encounter at the library and what is the person doing?
4. What does Reuven reveal in a flashback?
5. What are the narrator's plans for his schooling and what were the influences on his choice?
6. How does the narrator's neighborhood change in the early 1950s?
7. How does Danny's father raise Danny?
8. Describe Reuven's visit with Danny.
9. What does Reuven say about the Hasid?
10. Describe Rav Kalman.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)