|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
(a) A book about some very obscure passages in the Talmud.
(b) A book on the reasons for excommunication of a member of the Jewish community.
(c) A book on ethics.
(d) A book on interpreting techniques.
2. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
(a) In Nova Scotia.
(b) In New Brunswick.
(c) On a ranch in the Rockies.
(d) In Peekskill.
3. How is Michael doing?
(a) He has had a major breakdown.
(b) As well as can be expected.
(c) He is fine and has been released from treatment.
(d) Reuven does not know.
4. Where is the setting at the opening of the Introduction?
(a) Long Island.
5. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
(a) Reuven's oldest brother.
(b) Reuven's father.
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) Rabbi Rav Kalman
6. What sects have inhabited the narrator's neighborhood?
7. According to Reuven, what will happen to the Hasid if they do not change?
(a) They will grow stronger.
(b) They will be left at the wayside.
(c) They will lose.
(d) They will stagnate.
8. What does Michael do that he is cheated out of?
(b) He wins a trophy.
(c) He throws three baseballs in the holes.
(d) He knocks the milk bottoms over.
9. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
(a) That Reuven is going to apply to Professor Gordon's seminary.
(b) That Kalman has a personal vendetta against Professor Gordon,
(c) That Reuven is going to be dismissed from seminary.
(d) That Reuven plans to marry Rachel Gordon.
10. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
(b) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
(c) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
(d) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
11. Who is Michael Gordon?
(a) Rachel's uncle.
(b) Rachel's cousin.
(c) Rachel's brother.
(d) Rachel's father.
12. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(a) He breaks down.
(c) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
(d) He hits the elderly man.
13. What classes does Reuven study?
(a) Religion and philosophy.
14. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
(c) Thin blood.
15. Why can't Danny meet with Professor Gordon?
(a) He has to work.
(b) He has an emergency.
(c) He is in Europe.
(d) He is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of game do Reuven, Rachel and Michael go to?
2. About whom does Michael fantasize?
3. What is Rachel urging Michael to do?
4. Who is Rachel Gorden?
5. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)