|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one major point of Gordon's "theology"?
(a) Jews can fail to believe but remain observant.
(b) Theology is not necessary in the modern world.
(c) All religions worship the same god.
(d) God is a product of the sum of all souls.
2. Who is Giordano Bruno?
(a) A famous doctor from Sicily.
(b) The neighborhood baker.
(c) A famous painter from Italy.
(d) A man burned at the stake for preaching that the stars were suns.
3. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
(b) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
(c) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(d) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
4. To what time does a flashback go?
(a) Fall, 1949.
(b) January, 1948.
(c) Fall, 1949.
(d) January, 1950.
5. What does Reuven's father finish?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) A textbook for his students about zoology.
(c) A series of lectures at local Jewish Zionist chapters.
(d) Building a prayer room onto the house.
6. What does Danny say about Michael?
(a) He is only mildly neurotic.
(b) He is quite mentally ill.
(c) He is just suffering from adolescent hormones.
(d) There is nothing wrong with him.
7. What kind of game do Reuven, Rachel and Michael go to?
(a) A dice game.
(b) A bottle knock down.
(c) Ring toss.
(d) Ball throwing.
8. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
(a) Reuven's interest in Rachel Gordon.
(b) Reuven's search for meaning.
(c) Reuven's father asks him to do so.
(d) Reuven's distaste for Rabbi Kalman.
9. How is Michael doing?
(a) He is fine and has been released from treatment.
(b) He has had a major breakdown.
(c) As well as can be expected.
(d) Reuven does not know.
10. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
(a) Rabbi Rav Kalman
(b) Reuven's father.
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) Reuven's oldest brother.
11. Who is Michael Gordon?
(a) Rachel's brother.
(b) Rachel's uncle.
(c) Rachel's father.
(d) Rachel's cousin.
12. What happens to Michael between the time of his breaking down at the fair and then arriving home?
(a) He blacks out.
(c) He is arrested for disrespect to a police officer.
(d) He gets a ticket.
13. How was Danny taught about suffering by his father?
(a) Danny's father takes him to post-WWII Germany.
(b) Danny's father shows him pictures of bombed cities.
(c) Danny's father makes him beg at Coney Island on Saturdays.
(d) Danny's father only spoke to him when studying the Talmud.
14. What does Kalman ask of Reuven?
(a) To respect the excommunication writ.
(b) To ask Reuven's father if he approves of the association.
(c) To read up on why Professor Gordon is ex-communicated.
(d) To stop dating Rachel Gordon.
15. What is one adjective that describes Kalman?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reuven describe Professor Gordon?
2. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
3. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
4. What type of an emergency has Danny had in this chapter that tires him?
5. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)