|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
(a) Seeing his family shot.
(b) Fleeing from Germany to Australia.
(c) Being forced to work in mines in Poland.
(d) Seeing his children taken for adoption by German families.
2. What is one thing Danny and Reuven discuss?
(a) War reparations from Germany.
(d) The books on Danny's book shelves.
3. What does Reuven decide to teach Michael?
(a) How to sail.
(b) How to whittle.
(c) How to read Hebrew.
(d) How to dance.
4. Why can't Danny meet with Professor Gordon?
(a) He has an emergency.
(b) He is in Europe.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He has to work.
5. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
(a) A book on interpreting techniques.
(b) A book on the reasons for excommunication of a member of the Jewish community.
(c) A book about some very obscure passages in the Talmud.
(d) A book on ethics.
6. What type of an emergency has Danny had in this chapter that tires him?
(a) The hospital where Daniel works catches fire.
(b) His house catches fire.
(c) His father dies.
(d) An emergency with a schizophrenic boy.
7. Who is Abraham Gordon?
(a) A man who escaped from Ravensbrook.
(b) The temple cantor.
(c) A professor who is hated by the Jewish orthodoxy.
(d) Rachel Gorden's father.
8. About what does Professor Gordon ask Reuben?
(a) Whether God is a just god.
(b) If God is demanding.
(c) The fair and Michael's behavior.
(d) If Reuven is interested in Rachel.
9. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
(b) Thin blood.
10. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
(b) Almost daily.
(d) Several days a week.
11. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
(a) Very little.
(b) That Michael is in a permanent facility for the mentally ill.
(c) That his case appears hopeless.
(d) That Michael is doing quite well.
12. What does Michael see in himself?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) A cynic.
(c) Some of his father.
(d) A passionate truth seeker.
13. What does Kalman ask of Reuven?
(a) To respect the excommunication writ.
(b) To read up on why Professor Gordon is ex-communicated.
(c) To stop dating Rachel Gordon.
(d) To ask Reuven's father if he approves of the association.
14. What is one major point of Gordon's "theology"?
(a) God is a product of the sum of all souls.
(b) Theology is not necessary in the modern world.
(c) All religions worship the same god.
(d) Jews can fail to believe but remain observant.
15. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(a) He hits the elderly man.
(b) He breaks down.
(d) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rachel's aunt helping Professor Gordon?
2. Whose class is Reuven in at the opening of Chapter 6?
3. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
4. What is one image Michael sees in the clouds?
5. What does Professor Gordon look over at the Zechariah Frankel library?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)