|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
(b) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
(c) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(d) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
2. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
(a) That Michael is doing quite well.
(b) Very little.
(c) That Michael is in a permanent facility for the mentally ill.
(d) That his case appears hopeless.
3. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
(a) A book on ethics.
(b) A book on interpreting techniques.
(c) A book on the reasons for excommunication of a member of the Jewish community.
(d) A book about some very obscure passages in the Talmud.
4. Who does Reuven call the day after he and Michael go sailing?
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) Reuven's grandfather.
5. Why are the Gordons angry with Rachel?
(a) She is with a non-Jewish date.
(b) She lied to her father.
(c) She let Michael gamble.
(d) She didn't bring Michael home after his first nosebleed.
6. What is one adjective that describes Kalman?
7. What is one major point of Gordon's "theology"?
(a) God is a product of the sum of all souls.
(b) Theology is not necessary in the modern world.
(c) Jews can fail to believe but remain observant.
(d) All religions worship the same god.
8. Who is the Jewish, elderly man who comes up to Reuven, Rachel and Michael?
(a) Michael's grandfather.
(b) A visiting Rabbi from Israel.
(c) The booth attendant's father.
(d) The local Rabbi.
9. For what purpose does Professor Gordon want Reuven to bring his friend Daniel Saunders to the Gordon home?
(a) To see if Daniel and Michael will hit if off.
(b) To ask Daniel about his experiences in a concentration camp.
(c) Because Rachel would like to meet Daniel.
(d) As a mitzvah.
10. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
(c) No one.
11. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
(b) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
(c) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
(d) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
12. Who was Nota Finkel?
(a) He was a fanatical Zionist who changed his mind about Israel.
(b) He was excommuicated in the 1800s for heresy.
(c) He quashed a secularist revolt.
(d) He was a well-known Talmudist.
13. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
(a) That Reuven is going to be dismissed from seminary.
(b) That Reuven plans to marry Rachel Gordon.
(c) That Reuven is going to apply to Professor Gordon's seminary.
(d) That Kalman has a personal vendetta against Professor Gordon,
14. Who is Michael Gordon?
(a) Rachel's father.
(b) Rachel's cousin.
(c) Rachel's brother.
(d) Rachel's uncle.
15. What happens to Michael on the drive home?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He giggles hysterically.
(c) He gets another nosebleed.
(d) He cries uncontrollably.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the setting at the opening of the Introduction?
2. What does Professor Gordon look over at the Zechariah Frankel library?
3. How was Danny taught about suffering by his father?
4. What do Michael and Reuven talk about as far as the clouds go?
5. To whom does the conversation between Danny and Reuven turn after talking about Rachel?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)