|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(b) Reuven's oldest brother.
(c) Rabbi Rav Kalman
(d) Reuven's father.
2. Whose class is Reuven in at the opening of Chapter 6?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(c) His father's.
(d) Rav Kalman.
3. Who is Abraham Gordon?
(a) The temple cantor.
(b) A professor who is hated by the Jewish orthodoxy.
(c) A man who escaped from Ravensbrook.
(d) Rachel Gorden's father.
4. What does Professor Gordon look over at the Zechariah Frankel library?
(a) A new theory about the writing of the Talmud.
(b) Some books on mental illness.
(c) He does not go to the library because they are too restrictive.
(d) Negative reviews of his works.
5. Who was Nota Finkel?
(a) He was a well-known Talmudist.
(b) He was excommuicated in the 1800s for heresy.
(c) He was a fanatical Zionist who changed his mind about Israel.
(d) He quashed a secularist revolt.
6. According to Reuven, what will happen to the Hasid if they do not change?
(a) They will stagnate.
(b) They will grow stronger.
(c) They will lose.
(d) They will be left at the wayside.
7. Why are the Gordons angry with Rachel?
(a) She is with a non-Jewish date.
(b) She let Michael gamble.
(c) She didn't bring Michael home after his first nosebleed.
(d) She lied to her father.
8. How does Reuven describe Professor Gordon?
(a) A fanatical, orthodox Rabbi.
(b) A very liberal Jewish Rabbi.
(c) A fanatical Zionist.
(d) A kind, gentle soul.
9. Who is Michael Gordon?
(a) Rachel's uncle.
(b) Rachel's father.
(c) Rachel's brother.
(d) Rachel's cousin.
10. What does Reuven's father finish?
(a) A series of lectures at local Jewish Zionist chapters.
(b) A textbook for his students about zoology.
(c) Building a prayer room onto the house.
(d) His manuscript.
11. What is one major point of Gordon's "theology"?
(a) All religions worship the same god.
(b) Jews can fail to believe but remain observant.
(c) Theology is not necessary in the modern world.
(d) God is a product of the sum of all souls.
12. How does Michael get a nosebleed?
(a) Tripping and falling down.
(b) Standing up in a ride at the fair.
(d) Playing soccer.
13. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
(b) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
(c) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
(d) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
14. About whom does Michael fantasize?
(d) Michael's next-door neighbor.
15. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
(a) Being forced to work in mines in Poland.
(b) Seeing his children taken for adoption by German families.
(c) Fleeing from Germany to Australia.
(d) Seeing his family shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one topic of conversation between Reuven and Michael the next day after the fair?
2. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
3. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
4. Who is David Malter?
5. Where is the setting at the opening of the Introduction?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)