|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Gordons angry with Rachel?
(a) She let Michael gamble.
(b) She didn't bring Michael home after his first nosebleed.
(c) She lied to her father.
(d) She is with a non-Jewish date.
2. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
(b) Being underweight.
(d) Being overweight.
3. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
(a) In Nova Scotia.
(b) In Peekskill.
(c) In New Brunswick.
(d) On a ranch in the Rockies.
4. Who is David Malter?
(a) Reuven's father.
(b) Reuven's grandfather.
(c) Reuven's neighbor.
(d) Michael's uncle.
5. Who does Reuven arrange to meet?
(a) Reuven's uncle.
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) Reuven's grandfather.
6. What does Kalman ask Reuven one day after class?
(a) If Reuven's father could give Kalman a call.
(b) If Reuven is dating Rachel Gordon.
(c) If Reuven wants to be his research assistant.
(d) If Rueven was associating with Professor Gorden at Frankel library.
7. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
(a) He is not yet named.
8. What does Michael say he cannot get out of his head?
(d) The booth attendant.
9. Who is the Jewish, elderly man who comes up to Reuven, Rachel and Michael?
(a) The booth attendant's father.
(b) The local Rabbi.
(c) Michael's grandfather.
(d) A visiting Rabbi from Israel.
10. To what religion does the narrator's neighborhood belong?
11. About what does Michael display much knowledge?
(c) Horse racing.
12. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
(b) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(c) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
(d) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
13. Who is Rachel Gorden?
(a) The neighborhood rabbi's daughter.
(b) The narrator's grandmama.
(c) A woman the narrator meets at a Spring party.
(d) A traveling circus member.
14. Who has shut himself up for twenty years?
(a) Kotzker Rebbe.
(b) The man who lives on Reuven's street.
(c) Reuven's great-grandmother.
(d) Reuven's uncle.
15. Where is the setting at the opening of the Introduction?
(a) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Reuven and is acting odd?
2. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
3. Where does Reuven encounter Professor Gordon?
4. About what does Professor Gordon ask Reuben?
5. What does the narrator decide to do?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)