|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
(b) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
(c) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
(d) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
2. For what purpose does Professor Gordon want Reuven to bring his friend Daniel Saunders to the Gordon home?
(a) To see if Daniel and Michael will hit if off.
(b) Because Rachel would like to meet Daniel.
(c) To ask Daniel about his experiences in a concentration camp.
(d) As a mitzvah.
3. About what does Michael feel bad?
(a) That his mother is disappointed in him.
(b) That he is setting a poor example for his brother.
(c) How he acted the night before.
(d) That his father will confront the old man.
4. What does Michael see in himself?
(a) A passionate truth seeker.
(b) A cynic.
(c) Some of his father.
(d) His grandfather.
5. Why is Professor Gordon exhausted at the opening to Chapter 4?
(a) From a speaking engagment in San Francisco.
(b) From his worldwide travels.
(c) From working so hard on a new book.
(d) Because he has had the flu.
6. Why are Rachel and Reuven nervous about what Michael is doing?
(a) They are afraid Michael might rile up the neighborhood gangs.
(b) He might lose a lot of money.
(c) Michael is taunting the boy who gave him a nosebleed.
(d) He is in danger of falling again.
7. When does Michael begin treatment?
(a) He starts the same day that Michael returns to classes.
(b) The second week in October.
(c) He refuses treatment.
(d) He agrees to start after the new year.
8. What is the day after the sailing trip?
(b) Yom Kippur.
(d) No special day.
9. What does Danny say about Michael?
(a) He is just suffering from adolescent hormones.
(b) There is nothing wrong with him.
(c) He is quite mentally ill.
(d) He is only mildly neurotic.
10. What does Michael do that he is cheated out of?
(b) He wins a trophy.
(c) He knocks the milk bottoms over.
(d) He throws three baseballs in the holes.
11. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
(b) Thin blood.
12. What time frame does Chapter 5 concern?
(a) It is not stated.
(b) Autumn to early December of 1951.
(c) Early 1951.
(d) Late 1952.
13. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
(a) In Nova Scotia.
(b) In Peekskill.
(c) On a ranch in the Rockies.
(d) In New Brunswick.
14. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
(d) He is not yet named.
15. What is Rachel urging Michael to do?
(a) See a doctor.
(b) Go home to rest.
(c) Buy her a candied apple.
(d) Stop rolling the dice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Jewish, elderly man who comes up to Reuven, Rachel and Michael?
2. What problem has Professor Gordon had?
3. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
4. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
5. What sects have inhabited the narrator's neighborhood?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)