|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Reuven to talk with Michael?
(b) Rachel Gordon.
(c) Reuven's father.
(d) Professor Gordon.
2. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
(a) Fighting in the Jewish underground in Germany.
(b) Being interned in a concentration camp.
(c) Fleeing Germany New Zealand in the late 1930s.
(d) The death of the Rabbi's oldest daughter.
3. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
(a) Parts of Kalman's newest publication.
(b) The laws of ex-communication.
(c) Texts by Gemora.
(d) The writ of excommication of Professor Gordon.
4. What is one adjective that describes Kalman?
5. Why are Rachel and Reuven nervous about what Michael is doing?
(a) They are afraid Michael might rile up the neighborhood gangs.
(b) He might lose a lot of money.
(c) He is in danger of falling again.
(d) Michael is taunting the boy who gave him a nosebleed.
6. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
(a) Reuven's interest in Rachel Gordon.
(b) Reuven's search for meaning.
(c) Reuven's father asks him to do so.
(d) Reuven's distaste for Rabbi Kalman.
7. What time frame does Chapter 5 concern?
(a) Late 1952.
(b) It is not stated.
(c) Autumn to early December of 1951.
(d) Early 1951.
8. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
9. Who is Reuven?
(a) The narrator.
(b) The mayor of Peekskill.
(c) A shoemaker.
(d) A baker in the neighborhood.
10. How does Reuven describe Professor Gordon?
(a) A very liberal Jewish Rabbi.
(b) A fanatical Zionist.
(c) A kind, gentle soul.
(d) A fanatical, orthodox Rabbi.
11. What does Danny say about Michael?
(a) He is only mildly neurotic.
(b) He is just suffering from adolescent hormones.
(c) He is quite mentally ill.
(d) There is nothing wrong with him.
12. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
(a) He is not yet named.
13. About what is the narrator's father writing a book?
(b) The crusades.
(c) Peaceful negotiations.
(d) The Talmud.
14. Where does Reuven encounter Professor Gordon?
(a) The zoo.
(b) At Ellis Island.
(c) At the hospital while visiting Michael.
(d) The library.
15. What sect is the seminary that Reuven attends?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose class is Reuven in at the opening of Chapter 6?
2. Who has gotten in fist fights with others?
3. What is one thing that is established in the narrator's neighborhood as it becomes more populous?
4. Who has shut himself up for twenty years?
5. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)