|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Professor Gordon exhausted at the opening to Chapter 4?
(a) From a speaking engagment in San Francisco.
(b) Because he has had the flu.
(c) From his worldwide travels.
(d) From working so hard on a new book.
2. What type of an emergency has Danny had in this chapter that tires him?
(a) The hospital where Daniel works catches fire.
(b) His father dies.
(c) An emergency with a schizophrenic boy.
(d) His house catches fire.
3. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
(b) Thin blood.
4. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
(b) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
(c) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
(d) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
5. How does Reuven describe Professor Gordon?
(a) A fanatical Zionist.
(b) A very liberal Jewish Rabbi.
(c) A fanatical, orthodox Rabbi.
(d) A kind, gentle soul.
6. What does Reuven's father finish?
(a) Building a prayer room onto the house.
(b) A series of lectures at local Jewish Zionist chapters.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) A textbook for his students about zoology.
7. Who is Rachel Gorden?
(a) A traveling circus member.
(b) The narrator's grandmama.
(c) The neighborhood rabbi's daughter.
(d) A woman the narrator meets at a Spring party.
8. When does Reuven return to seminary?
(a) The Friday after Michael is taken to the treatment center.
(b) He is going to sit out one semester and then go back.
(c) He decides not to return.
(d) He has never been in seminary.
9. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
(a) In Peekskill.
(b) On a ranch in the Rockies.
(c) In New Brunswick.
(d) In Nova Scotia.
10. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
(a) No one.
11. Who is Giordano Bruno?
(a) The neighborhood baker.
(b) A famous painter from Italy.
(c) A man burned at the stake for preaching that the stars were suns.
(d) A famous doctor from Sicily.
12. What time frame does Chapter 5 concern?
(a) Late 1952.
(b) Early 1951.
(c) Autumn to early December of 1951.
(d) It is not stated.
13. Where does Reuven go the day after the fair?
(a) Times Square.
(b) Coney Island.
(c) The beach.
(d) The Empire State Building.
14. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
15. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
(b) He is not yet named.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Danny?
2. About what does Michael feel bad?
3. To what religion does the narrator's neighborhood belong?
4. About what does Professor Gordon ask Reuben?
5. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)