|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Danny taught about suffering by his father?
(a) Danny's father makes him beg at Coney Island on Saturdays.
(b) Danny's father shows him pictures of bombed cities.
(c) Danny's father only spoke to him when studying the Talmud.
(d) Danny's father takes him to post-WWII Germany.
2. What does Michael burn?
(a) The trash on the floor.
(b) A copy of Mein Kampf.
(c) A copy of the Tanach.
(d) A copy of the excommunication writ against his father.
3. Who is Reuven?
(a) The mayor of Peekskill.
(b) A baker in the neighborhood.
(c) A shoemaker.
(d) The narrator.
4. Where does Reuven go the day after the fair?
(a) Coney Island.
(b) The beach.
(c) Times Square.
(d) The Empire State Building.
5. Who does Michael see briefly?
(a) His grandparents who are visiting from Israel.
(c) Mrs. Gordon.
(d) His mother.
6. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
(b) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(c) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
(d) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
7. Why are Rachel and Reuven nervous about what Michael is doing?
(a) He might lose a lot of money.
(b) He is in danger of falling again.
(c) Michael is taunting the boy who gave him a nosebleed.
(d) They are afraid Michael might rile up the neighborhood gangs.
8. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
(c) He is not yet named.
9. Who is Michael Gordon?
(a) Rachel's brother.
(b) Rachel's cousin.
(c) Rachel's father.
(d) Rachel's uncle.
10. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
(a) Several days a week.
(c) Almost daily.
11. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
(a) That Reuven is going to apply to Professor Gordon's seminary.
(b) That Reuven is going to be dismissed from seminary.
(c) That Reuven plans to marry Rachel Gordon.
(d) That Kalman has a personal vendetta against Professor Gordon,
12. About what does Michael feel bad?
(a) How he acted the night before.
(b) That he is setting a poor example for his brother.
(c) That his mother is disappointed in him.
(d) That his father will confront the old man.
13. To whom does the conversation between Danny and Reuven turn after talking about Rachel?
(a) Reuven's father.
(b) Kalman Rebbe.
(c) Professor Gordon.
14. Why has the population of the narrator's neighborhood grown rapidly by 1950?
(a) The government offered free housing to people who would work in the factories there during the war.
(b) A high birth rate after the end of WWII.
(c) People are escaping persecution in other countries.
(d) The population has not increased much at all.
15. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
(a) Being forced to work in mines in Poland.
(b) Seeing his family shot.
(c) Seeing his children taken for adoption by German families.
(d) Fleeing from Germany to Australia.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Reuven return to seminary?
2. What is one topic of conversation between Reuven and Michael the next day after the fair?
3. Who is Abraham Gordon?
4. What does Reuven decide to teach Michael?
5. Who is Rachel Gorden?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)