|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Michael display much knowledge?
(d) Horse racing.
2. About what does Reuven say he has no right to be angry?
(a) The reception of his father's book.
(b) Reuven does not talk about being angry.
(c) Kalman's actions.
(d) Who Rachel is becoming serious with romantically.
3. Who was Nota Finkel?
(a) He was a fanatical Zionist who changed his mind about Israel.
(b) He was excommuicated in the 1800s for heresy.
(c) He quashed a secularist revolt.
(d) He was a well-known Talmudist.
4. What is one topic of conversation between Reuven and Michael the next day after the fair?
(a) Rachel's family.
(b) The defeat of Germany.
(c) Michael's nosebleeds.
(d) Rachel's good points.
5. What is one major point of Gordon's "theology"?
(a) Jews can fail to believe but remain observant.
(b) God is a product of the sum of all souls.
(c) Theology is not necessary in the modern world.
(d) All religions worship the same god.
6. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
(b) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(c) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
(d) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
7. According to Reuven, what will happen to the Hasid if they do not change?
(a) They will be left at the wayside.
(b) They will stagnate.
(c) They will lose.
(d) They will grow stronger.
8. About what does Professor Gordon ask Reuben?
(a) Whether God is a just god.
(b) If God is demanding.
(c) If Reuven is interested in Rachel.
(d) The fair and Michael's behavior.
9. Who is Reuven?
(a) A baker in the neighborhood.
(b) The narrator.
(c) A shoemaker.
(d) The mayor of Peekskill.
10. Why has the population of the narrator's neighborhood grown rapidly by 1950?
(a) A high birth rate after the end of WWII.
(b) The population has not increased much at all.
(c) The government offered free housing to people who would work in the factories there during the war.
(d) People are escaping persecution in other countries.
11. Who does Reuven arrange to meet?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(b) Reuven's grandfather.
(d) Reuven's uncle.
12. Who calls Reuven and is acting odd?
(a) Professor Gordon.
13. What time frame does Chapter 5 concern?
(a) Early 1951.
(b) Late 1952.
(c) Autumn to early December of 1951.
(d) It is not stated.
14. Where does Reuven go the day after the fair?
(a) Times Square.
(b) The Empire State Building.
(c) The beach.
(d) Coney Island.
15. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
(a) That Reuven plans to marry Rachel Gordon.
(b) That Reuven is going to be dismissed from seminary.
(c) That Reuven is going to apply to Professor Gordon's seminary.
(d) That Kalman has a personal vendetta against Professor Gordon,
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the day after the sailing trip?
2. What sects have inhabited the narrator's neighborhood?
3. What sect is the seminary that Reuven attends?
4. Who is Giordano Bruno?
5. Who is Abraham Gordon?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)