|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose class is Reuven in at the opening of Chapter 6?
(b) Professor Gordon.
(c) Rav Kalman.
(d) His father's.
2. Who does Reuven call the day after he and Michael go sailing?
(b) Reuven's grandfather.
(c) Professor Gordon.
3. About whom does Michael fantasize?
(c) Michael's next-door neighbor.
4. What kind of game do Reuven, Rachel and Michael go to?
(a) A dice game.
(b) Ring toss.
(c) Ball throwing.
(d) A bottle knock down.
5. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
(b) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(c) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
(d) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
6. To whom does the conversation between Danny and Reuven turn after talking about Rachel?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(b) Reuven's father.
(d) Kalman Rebbe.
7. What time frame does Chapter 5 concern?
(a) It is not stated.
(b) Early 1951.
(c) Autumn to early December of 1951.
(d) Late 1952.
8. About what does Michael display much knowledge?
(b) Horse racing.
9. Who is Reuven?
(a) A baker in the neighborhood.
(b) The mayor of Peekskill.
(c) A shoemaker.
(d) The narrator.
10. What is Rachel urging Michael to do?
(a) See a doctor.
(b) Buy her a candied apple.
(c) Stop rolling the dice.
(d) Go home to rest.
11. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
(a) Texts by Gemora.
(b) Parts of Kalman's newest publication.
(c) The laws of ex-communication.
(d) The writ of excommication of Professor Gordon.
12. What does Michael see in himself?
(a) A cynic.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A passionate truth seeker.
(d) Some of his father.
13. To what religion does the narrator's neighborhood belong?
14. Where does Reuven encounter Professor Gordon?
(a) The library.
(b) At Ellis Island.
(c) The zoo.
(d) At the hospital while visiting Michael.
15. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
(b) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
(c) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
(d) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the day after the sailing trip?
2. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
3. How does Reuven describe Professor Gordon?
4. Who calls Reuven and is acting odd?
5. Why does Reuven say he visited the Frankel library?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)