|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rachel Gorden?
(a) The neighborhood rabbi's daughter.
(b) A woman the narrator meets at a Spring party.
(c) The narrator's grandmama.
(d) A traveling circus member.
2. What does Michael burn?
(a) A copy of the excommunication writ against his father.
(b) The trash on the floor.
(c) A copy of Mein Kampf.
(d) A copy of the Tanach.
3. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
(c) No one.
4. About whom does Michael fantasize?
(d) Michael's next-door neighbor.
5. About whom does Rachel ask Reuven?
(b) Kotzker Rebbe.
(c) Reuven's father.
(d) Reuven's sister.
6. About what does Michael display much knowledge?
(c) Horse racing.
7. What does Danny say about Michael?
(a) There is nothing wrong with him.
(b) He is only mildly neurotic.
(c) He is just suffering from adolescent hormones.
(d) He is quite mentally ill.
8. What is one major point of Gordon's "theology"?
(a) Theology is not necessary in the modern world.
(b) Jews can fail to believe but remain observant.
(c) God is a product of the sum of all souls.
(d) All religions worship the same god.
9. Where does Reuven encounter Professor Gordon?
(a) At Ellis Island.
(b) The zoo.
(c) At the hospital while visiting Michael.
(d) The library.
10. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
(b) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
(c) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
(d) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
11. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
(a) Fighting in the Jewish underground in Germany.
(b) Fleeing Germany New Zealand in the late 1930s.
(c) The death of the Rabbi's oldest daughter.
(d) Being interned in a concentration camp.
12. Who is the Jewish, elderly man who comes up to Reuven, Rachel and Michael?
(a) Michael's grandfather.
(b) The local Rabbi.
(c) The booth attendant's father.
(d) A visiting Rabbi from Israel.
13. What does the narrator decide to do?
(a) Move to Israel.
(b) Return to Eurpoe after it is rebuilt.
(c) Go to rabbinical school.
(d) Join the army.
14. About what does Professor Gordon ask Reuben?
(a) The fair and Michael's behavior.
(b) If Reuven is interested in Rachel.
(c) If God is demanding.
(d) Whether God is a just god.
15. When does Reuven return to seminary?
(a) He decides not to return.
(b) The Friday after Michael is taken to the treatment center.
(c) He has never been in seminary.
(d) He is going to sit out one semester and then go back.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
2. What is one topic of conversation between Reuven and Michael the next day after the fair?
3. What happens to Michael on the drive home?
4. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
5. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)