|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
(a) In Nova Scotia.
(b) On a ranch in the Rockies.
(c) In New Brunswick.
(d) In Peekskill.
2. When does Reuven return to seminary?
(a) He decides not to return.
(b) The Friday after Michael is taken to the treatment center.
(c) He has never been in seminary.
(d) He is going to sit out one semester and then go back.
3. According to Reuven, what will happen to the Hasid if they do not change?
(a) They will be left at the wayside.
(b) They will lose.
(c) They will grow stronger.
(d) They will stagnate.
4. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
(a) Reuven's distaste for Rabbi Kalman.
(b) Reuven's interest in Rachel Gordon.
(c) Reuven's search for meaning.
(d) Reuven's father asks him to do so.
5. How is Rachel's aunt helping Professor Gordon?
(a) She types his manuscripts.
(b) She proofs his writing.
(c) She is a nurse and cares for him.
(d) She keeps track of his correspondence.
6. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
(a) Being overweight.
(b) Being underweight.
7. To whom does the conversation between Danny and Reuven turn after talking about Rachel?
(a) Kalman Rebbe.
(b) Reuven's father.
(d) Professor Gordon.
8. When does Michael begin treatment?
(a) He refuses treatment.
(b) The second week in October.
(c) He agrees to start after the new year.
(d) He starts the same day that Michael returns to classes.
9. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
(a) Reuven's oldest brother.
(b) Rabbi Rav Kalman
(c) Reuven's father.
(d) Professor Gordon.
10. Who is Reuven?
(a) The mayor of Peekskill.
(b) A baker in the neighborhood.
(c) The narrator.
(d) A shoemaker.
11. What classes does Reuven study?
(c) Religion and philosophy.
12. About whom does Michael fantasize?
(d) Michael's next-door neighbor.
13. Who was Nota Finkel?
(a) He was a well-known Talmudist.
(b) He was excommuicated in the 1800s for heresy.
(c) He quashed a secularist revolt.
(d) He was a fanatical Zionist who changed his mind about Israel.
14. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
(a) Parts of Kalman's newest publication.
(b) Texts by Gemora.
(c) The laws of ex-communication.
(d) The writ of excommication of Professor Gordon.
15. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Reuven arrange to meet?
2. What does Kalman ask of Reuven?
3. Who does Michael see briefly?
4. What sects have inhabited the narrator's neighborhood?
5. Why does Reuven say he visited the Frankel library?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)