|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is David Malter?
(a) Michael's uncle.
(b) Reuven's neighbor.
(c) Reuven's grandfather.
(d) Reuven's father.
2. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
(b) Almost daily.
(c) Several days a week.
3. What problem has Professor Gordon had?
(a) A problem with shingles.
(b) A case of flu.
(c) A bout with polio.
(d) A heart attack.
4. What is one thing that is established in the narrator's neighborhood as it becomes more populous?
(a) A bookie system.
(b) Educational institutions.
(c) A neighborhood watch system.
(d) Two rival gangs.
5. How is Michael doing?
(a) He has had a major breakdown.
(b) He is fine and has been released from treatment.
(c) As well as can be expected.
(d) Reuven does not know.
6. Who has shut himself up for twenty years?
(a) Reuven's great-grandmother.
(b) The man who lives on Reuven's street.
(c) Kotzker Rebbe.
(d) Reuven's uncle.
7. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
(a) Reuven's father asks him to do so.
(b) Reuven's search for meaning.
(c) Reuven's distaste for Rabbi Kalman.
(d) Reuven's interest in Rachel Gordon.
8. Who is Danny?
(a) Reuven's younger brother.
(b) Reuven's first cousin.
(c) The grocery boy.
(d) Reuven's best friend.
9. Who is Michael Gordon?
(a) Rachel's father.
(b) Rachel's brother.
(c) Rachel's uncle.
(d) Rachel's cousin.
10. What is one image Michael sees in the clouds?
(a) The old man from the fair the night before.
(b) Mount Olympus.
(d) His dead grandfather.
11. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
(a) A book on ethics.
(b) A book on interpreting techniques.
(c) A book on the reasons for excommunication of a member of the Jewish community.
(d) A book about some very obscure passages in the Talmud.
12. To whom does the conversation between Danny and Reuven turn after talking about Rachel?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(c) Kalman Rebbe.
(d) Reuven's father.
13. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(b) He breaks down.
(c) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
(d) He hits the elderly man.
14. Who is Rachel Gorden?
(a) A traveling circus member.
(b) The narrator's grandmama.
(c) The neighborhood rabbi's daughter.
(d) A woman the narrator meets at a Spring party.
15. About what is the narrator's father writing a book?
(a) Peaceful negotiations.
(c) The Talmud.
(d) The crusades.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been seeing Rachel more and more?
2. What does Michael say he cannot get out of his head?
3. Why is Professor Gordon exhausted at the opening to Chapter 4?
4. What is Rachel urging Michael to do?
5. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)