|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Danny meet with Professor Gordon?
(a) He is ill.
(b) He is in Europe.
(c) He has an emergency.
(d) He has to work.
2. About what does Michael display much knowledge?
(c) Horse racing.
3. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
(a) In Peekskill.
(b) In New Brunswick.
(c) On a ranch in the Rockies.
(d) In Nova Scotia.
4. Who was Nota Finkel?
(a) He was a well-known Talmudist.
(b) He quashed a secularist revolt.
(c) He was excommuicated in the 1800s for heresy.
(d) He was a fanatical Zionist who changed his mind about Israel.
5. What is one adjective that describes Kalman?
6. What do Michael and Reuven talk about as far as the clouds go?
(a) What the shapes look like.
(b) Whether they portend a storm.
(c) If they can support angels.
(d) If the clouds are solid in another dimension.
7. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
(a) Fleeing from Germany to Australia.
(b) Seeing his family shot.
(c) Seeing his children taken for adoption by German families.
(d) Being forced to work in mines in Poland.
8. What sect is the seminary that Reuven attends?
9. What time frame does Chapter 5 concern?
(a) Early 1951.
(b) Autumn to early December of 1951.
(c) It is not stated.
(d) Late 1952.
10. What does the narrator decide to do?
(a) Move to Israel.
(b) Go to rabbinical school.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Return to Eurpoe after it is rebuilt.
11. Who asks Reuven to talk with Michael?
(b) Rachel Gordon.
(c) Reuven's father.
(d) Professor Gordon.
12. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
(a) That Michael is in a permanent facility for the mentally ill.
(b) That his case appears hopeless.
(c) That Michael is doing quite well.
(d) Very little.
13. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
(a) The death of the Rabbi's oldest daughter.
(b) Being interned in a concentration camp.
(c) Fighting in the Jewish underground in Germany.
(d) Fleeing Germany New Zealand in the late 1930s.
14. Who is Rachel Gorden?
(a) The narrator's grandmama.
(b) The neighborhood rabbi's daughter.
(c) A traveling circus member.
(d) A woman the narrator meets at a Spring party.
15. About whom does Michael fantasize?
(b) Michael's next-door neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one image Michael sees in the clouds?
2. Who is Giordano Bruno?
3. What does Kalman ask of Reuven?
4. Who is David Malter?
5. To what time does a flashback go?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)