|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Reuven read by Kalman on the subway?
(a) A book about some very obscure passages in the Talmud.
(b) A book on ethics.
(c) A book on interpreting techniques.
(d) A book on the reasons for excommunication of a member of the Jewish community.
2. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(b) Reuven's oldest brother.
(c) Rabbi Rav Kalman
(d) Reuven's father.
3. What does Danny say about Michael?
(a) He is quite mentally ill.
(b) There is nothing wrong with him.
(c) He is only mildly neurotic.
(d) He is just suffering from adolescent hormones.
4. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
(a) That Michael is doing quite well.
(b) That Michael is in a permanent facility for the mentally ill.
(c) That his case appears hopeless.
(d) Very little.
5. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
(a) No one.
(b) The Zionists.
(c) The reformed Jews.
(d) Many Hasidic sects.
6. What does Kalman ask Reuven one day after class?
(a) If Reuven's father could give Kalman a call.
(b) If Rueven was associating with Professor Gorden at Frankel library.
(c) If Reuven wants to be his research assistant.
(d) If Reuven is dating Rachel Gordon.
7. Why are Rachel and Reuven nervous about what Michael is doing?
(a) Michael is taunting the boy who gave him a nosebleed.
(b) He might lose a lot of money.
(c) They are afraid Michael might rile up the neighborhood gangs.
(d) He is in danger of falling again.
8. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(a) He hits the elderly man.
(c) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
(d) He breaks down.
9. What does Michael say his nosebleeds are not a result of?
(d) Thin blood.
10. What is Rachel urging Michael to do?
(a) Buy her a candied apple.
(b) Stop rolling the dice.
(c) Go home to rest.
(d) See a doctor.
11. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
12. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
(a) Seeing his children taken for adoption by German families.
(b) Being forced to work in mines in Poland.
(c) Seeing his family shot.
(d) Fleeing from Germany to Australia.
13. Who does Michael see briefly?
(b) Mrs. Gordon.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandparents who are visiting from Israel.
14. What kind of game do Reuven, Rachel and Michael go to?
(a) Ball throwing.
(b) A bottle knock down.
(c) Ring toss.
(d) A dice game.
15. Who is Abraham Gordon?
(a) The temple cantor.
(b) A professor who is hated by the Jewish orthodoxy.
(c) A man who escaped from Ravensbrook.
(d) Rachel Gorden's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Michael between the time of his breaking down at the fair and then arriving home?
2. Who asks Reuven to talk with Michael?
3. About what does Michael feel bad?
4. How is Michael doing?
5. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)