|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Danny say about Michael?
(a) He is quite mentally ill.
(b) He is only mildly neurotic.
(c) He is just suffering from adolescent hormones.
(d) There is nothing wrong with him.
2. Who does Reuven call the day after he and Michael go sailing?
(c) Reuven's grandfather.
(d) Professor Gordon.
3. What does the narrator decide to do?
(a) Move to Israel.
(b) Return to Eurpoe after it is rebuilt.
(c) Go to rabbinical school.
(d) Join the army.
4. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
(c) He is not yet named.
5. What does Reuven say about Rachel Gordon?
(a) That she is too intellectual for him to consider her as a wife.
(b) That there was nothing between him and Rachel.
(c) That she is not educated enough for him to be interested in her.
(d) That she is part of an excommunicated family and therefore someone he could not marry.
6. Who says it is not a good day to visit?
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
7. What happens to Michael while he is arguing?
(a) He hits the elderly man.
(b) He pulls out a gun and shoots the booth attendant.
(d) He breaks down.
8. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
(a) That Michael is doing quite well.
(b) Very little.
(c) That Michael is in a permanent facility for the mentally ill.
(d) That his case appears hopeless.
9. When does Reuven return to seminary?
(a) He decides not to return.
(b) The Friday after Michael is taken to the treatment center.
(c) He has never been in seminary.
(d) He is going to sit out one semester and then go back.
10. For what purpose does Professor Gordon want Reuven to bring his friend Daniel Saunders to the Gordon home?
(a) To see if Daniel and Michael will hit if off.
(b) As a mitzvah.
(c) To ask Daniel about his experiences in a concentration camp.
(d) Because Rachel would like to meet Daniel.
11. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
(b) Being overweight.
(d) Being underweight.
12. About what is the narrator's father writing a book?
(a) The Talmud.
(c) Peaceful negotiations.
(d) The crusades.
13. What classes does Reuven study?
(b) Religion and philosophy.
14. What type of an emergency has Danny had in this chapter that tires him?
(a) An emergency with a schizophrenic boy.
(b) His house catches fire.
(c) The hospital where Daniel works catches fire.
(d) His father dies.
15. According to Reuven, what will happen to the Hasid if they do not change?
(a) They will lose.
(b) They will grow stronger.
(c) They will stagnate.
(d) They will be left at the wayside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Rachel and Reuven nervous about what Michael is doing?
2. How many therapists has Michael been to over the past 14 months?
3. Who was Nota Finkel?
4. Who is Abraham Gordon?
5. With whom is Reuven dissatisfied in the flashback?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)