|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
(a) Several days a week.
(b) Almost daily.
2. What is Rachel urging Michael to do?
(a) Stop rolling the dice.
(b) Buy her a candied apple.
(c) Go home to rest.
(d) See a doctor.
3. About what does Michael feel bad?
(a) That his father will confront the old man.
(b) How he acted the night before.
(c) That his mother is disappointed in him.
(d) That he is setting a poor example for his brother.
4. What does the narrator decide to do?
(a) Return to Eurpoe after it is rebuilt.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Move to Israel.
(d) Go to rabbinical school.
5. What is one possible explanation for Michael's nosebleeds?
(b) Being underweight.
(d) Being overweight.
6. When does Reuven return to seminary?
(a) The Friday after Michael is taken to the treatment center.
(b) He has never been in seminary.
(c) He decides not to return.
(d) He is going to sit out one semester and then go back.
7. Whose class is Reuven in at the opening of Chapter 6?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(c) His father's.
(d) Rav Kalman.
8. What is the day after the sailing trip?
(c) Yom Kippur.
(d) No special day.
9. What past experience of Rabbi Kalman's does Reuven mention?
(a) Fleeing Germany New Zealand in the late 1930s.
(b) Being interned in a concentration camp.
(c) Fighting in the Jewish underground in Germany.
(d) The death of the Rabbi's oldest daughter.
10. When does Michael begin treatment?
(a) The second week in October.
(b) He starts the same day that Michael returns to classes.
(c) He refuses treatment.
(d) He agrees to start after the new year.
11. Where does Reuven encounter Professor Gordon?
(a) The zoo.
(b) At Ellis Island.
(c) At the hospital while visiting Michael.
(d) The library.
12. Who says it is not a good day to visit?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
13. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
(c) No one.
14. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
(a) Texts by Gemora.
(b) The writ of excommication of Professor Gordon.
(c) The laws of ex-communication.
(d) Parts of Kalman's newest publication.
15. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
(a) Fleeing from Germany to Australia.
(b) Being forced to work in mines in Poland.
(c) Seeing his family shot.
(d) Seeing his children taken for adoption by German families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael see in himself?
2. Where do the narrator and Rachel spend the summer together?
3. What does Michael say he cannot get out of his head?
4. What does Danny say about Michael?
5. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)