|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of game do Reuven, Rachel and Michael go to?
(a) Ring toss.
(b) A bottle knock down.
(c) A dice game.
(d) Ball throwing.
2. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
(a) The reformed Jews.
(b) Many Hasidic sects.
(c) The Zionists.
(d) No one.
3. What does Reuven decide to teach Michael?
(a) How to sail.
(b) How to dance.
(c) How to whittle.
(d) How to read Hebrew.
4. Who is Michael Gordon?
(a) Rachel's cousin.
(b) Rachel's father.
(c) Rachel's brother.
(d) Rachel's uncle.
5. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
(b) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
(c) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
(d) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
6. What problem has Professor Gordon had?
(a) A problem with shingles.
(b) A bout with polio.
(c) A case of flu.
(d) A heart attack.
7. What does Michael say he cannot get out of his head?
(d) The booth attendant.
8. About whom does Michael fantasize?
(d) Michael's next-door neighbor.
9. Who is Abraham Gordon?
(a) A professor who is hated by the Jewish orthodoxy.
(b) The temple cantor.
(c) A man who escaped from Ravensbrook.
(d) Rachel Gorden's father.
10. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
(a) Reuven's father asks him to do so.
(b) Reuven's interest in Rachel Gordon.
(c) Reuven's search for meaning.
(d) Reuven's distaste for Rabbi Kalman.
11. According to Rueven's friend, what rumors are circulating through the seminary?
(a) That Reuven is going to be dismissed from seminary.
(b) That Reuven plans to marry Rachel Gordon.
(c) That Kalman has a personal vendetta against Professor Gordon,
(d) That Reuven is going to apply to Professor Gordon's seminary.
12. What does Reuven hear about Michael?
(a) That Michael is doing quite well.
(b) That Michael is in a permanent facility for the mentally ill.
(c) That his case appears hopeless.
(d) Very little.
13. What does Michael burn?
(a) A copy of the excommunication writ against his father.
(b) A copy of Mein Kampf.
(c) A copy of the Tanach.
(d) The trash on the floor.
14. Who does Michael see briefly?
(b) Mrs. Gordon.
(c) His grandparents who are visiting from Israel.
(d) His mother.
15. What does Professor Gordon look over at the Zechariah Frankel library?
(a) He does not go to the library because they are too restrictive.
(b) Negative reviews of his works.
(c) A new theory about the writing of the Talmud.
(d) Some books on mental illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rachel's aunt helping Professor Gordon?
2. What is the day after the sailing trip?
3. About what does Michael feel bad?
4. How does Michael get a nosebleed?
5. What type of an emergency has Danny had in this chapter that tires him?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)