|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Kotzker Rebbe have disagreements?
(a) The Zionists.
(b) Many Hasidic sects.
(c) No one.
(d) The reformed Jews.
2. Why has the population of the narrator's neighborhood grown rapidly by 1950?
(a) A high birth rate after the end of WWII.
(b) People are escaping persecution in other countries.
(c) The government offered free housing to people who would work in the factories there during the war.
(d) The population has not increased much at all.
3. What classes does Reuven study?
(c) Religion and philosophy.
4. What does Michael burn?
(a) A copy of the excommunication writ against his father.
(b) The trash on the floor.
(c) A copy of Mein Kampf.
(d) A copy of the Tanach.
5. What leads Reuven to read books by Professor Gordon?
(a) Reuven's distaste for Rabbi Kalman.
(b) Reuven's interest in Rachel Gordon.
(c) Reuven's search for meaning.
(d) Reuven's father asks him to do so.
6. What is one thing Danny and Reuven discuss?
(c) The books on Danny's book shelves.
(d) War reparations from Germany.
7. About whom does Michael fantasize?
(b) Michael's next-door neighbor.
8. What sect is the seminary that Reuven attends?
9. What does Professor Gordon look over at the Zechariah Frankel library?
(a) Some books on mental illness.
(b) He does not go to the library because they are too restrictive.
(c) Negative reviews of his works.
(d) A new theory about the writing of the Talmud.
10. What is the day after the sailing trip?
(c) No special day.
(d) Yom Kippur.
11. About what does Professor Gordon ask Reuben?
(a) Whether God is a just god.
(b) If Reuven is interested in Rachel.
(c) If God is demanding.
(d) The fair and Michael's behavior.
12. How often does Reuven see Rachel between October and December?
(a) Almost daily.
(b) Several days a week.
13. What does Kalman have Reuven read aloud?
(a) Parts of Kalman's newest publication.
(b) The laws of ex-communication.
(c) Texts by Gemora.
(d) The writ of excommication of Professor Gordon.
14. What is one topic of conversation between Reuven and Michael the next day after the fair?
(a) The defeat of Germany.
(b) Michael's nosebleeds.
(c) Rachel's good points.
(d) Rachel's family.
15. Who asks Reuven to talk with Michael?
(a) Reuven's father.
(b) Rachel Gordon.
(d) Professor Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michael see briefly?
2. According to Reuven, with whom are the Hasid at war?
3. What is the name of the narrator in the Introduction?
4. What happens to Michael on the drive home?
5. Why are Rachel and Reuven nervous about what Michael is doing?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)