|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About whom does Rachel ask Reuven?
(b) Reuven's sister.
(c) Reuven's father.
(d) Kotzker Rebbe.
2. What does Kalman ask Reuven one day after class?
(a) If Reuven is dating Rachel Gordon.
(b) If Reuven's father could give Kalman a call.
(c) If Rueven was associating with Professor Gorden at Frankel library.
(d) If Reuven wants to be his research assistant.
3. Why are Rachel and Reuven nervous about what Michael is doing?
(a) They are afraid Michael might rile up the neighborhood gangs.
(b) He is in danger of falling again.
(c) Michael is taunting the boy who gave him a nosebleed.
(d) He might lose a lot of money.
4. Who is Danny?
(a) Reuven's younger brother.
(b) The grocery boy.
(c) Reuven's first cousin.
(d) Reuven's best friend.
5. Why does Reuven say he visited the Frankel library?
(a) To meet with a friend who lives nearby.
(b) To meet with Rachel.
(c) To help his father in research.
(d) To sign a petition to the city about discrimination.
6. What is one thing that is established in the narrator's neighborhood as it becomes more populous?
(a) Two rival gangs.
(b) A neighborhood watch system.
(c) A bookie system.
(d) Educational institutions.
7. Where is the setting at the opening of the Introduction?
(c) Long Island.
8. What do Michael and Reuven talk about as far as the clouds go?
(a) If the clouds are solid in another dimension.
(b) Whether they portend a storm.
(c) If they can support angels.
(d) What the shapes look like.
9. Of what does Kalman remind Reuven?
(a) That Professor Gordon is excommunicated.
(b) That Professor Gordon is suspected of destroying valuable documents.
(c) That Reuven's father would not approve of Reuven's behavior.
(d) That Reuven is going to be a Hasidic Rabbi.
10. Why does Michael hate orthodox Jews?
(a) Because the girl he likes father is one and he will not allow them to see each other.
(b) Because they are fanatics and hypocrites.
(c) He does not hate them; he is fascinated with them.
(d) Because they make other Jews look unholy.
11. To what time does a flashback go?
(a) Fall, 1949.
(b) January, 1948.
(c) January, 1950.
(d) Fall, 1949.
12. What kind of game do Reuven, Rachel and Michael go to?
(a) A dice game.
(b) Ring toss.
(c) Ball throwing.
(d) A bottle knock down.
13. What does Danny say about Michael?
(a) He is only mildly neurotic.
(b) He is quite mentally ill.
(c) There is nothing wrong with him.
(d) He is just suffering from adolescent hormones.
14. How is Rachel's aunt helping Professor Gordon?
(a) She keeps track of his correspondence.
(b) She is a nurse and cares for him.
(c) She types his manuscripts.
(d) She proofs his writing.
15. Who has been seeing Rachel more and more?
(b) An unnamed man from Harvard.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to rumors, what is one thing Kalman goes through during WWII?
2. What is the day after the sailing trip?
3. Who is Michael Gordon?
4. Who asks Reuven to talk with Michael?
5. What happens to Michael on the drive home?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)