|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who become the symbol of the new age of oil?
2. The American hostages were held until what happened?
3. Which country placed troops in the Canal Zone to protect it for oil purposes?
4. Who was put in charge of the Iranian National Oil Company?
5. Who succeeded Nasser in 1970?
Short Essay Questions
1. OPEC was founded with which goals in mind?
2. Who was "Sheikh" Ahmed Zaki Yamani? What impact did he have on the oil industry?
3. How did Britain respond to Nassar's demands about the Canal? How did Eisenhower feel about the events?
4. How did oil companies and governments react to the Second Oil Shock?
5. What factors weakened OPEC's position in the mid-1980s?
6. How did Venezuela respond to events in the Middle East?
7. The postwar petroleum order rested on which two foundations? Who wanted to change the agreements?
8. Why is 1974 to 1978 known as OPEC's Golden Age?
9. What actions did Sadat take toward Israel? What was his goal?
10. Venezuela's Alirio Parra helped stabilize OPEC through a meeting with oil leaders. Why was the meeting held? What came out of this meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the oil industry begin? Why wasn't oil harvested in greater amounts before this time? What role did oil companies play in the early days of the oil industry?
Essay Topic 2
What is OPEC? How did OPEC come into existence? What influence has this organization had on the oil industry? Give specific examples of OPEC's influence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The creation of a Jewish state created conflict in the Middle East and between Middle Eastern countries and Israeli supporters. Discuss why the Jewish state was created and how it affected the political dynamics of the oil industry. Why were some Arab countries unhappy with the creation? How did the conflicts between Israel and other Middle Eastern countries affect the oil industry?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)