|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. American hostages were taken from the embassy in which city?
2. From 1949-72, world oil consumption did what?
3. What was one of OPEC's goals when it was founded?
4. How much was the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline to cost?
5. OPEC agreed on what posted price per barrel of oil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What triggered economic recovery in 1983?
2. Who was "Sheikh" Ahmed Zaki Yamani? What impact did he have on the oil industry?
3. Who was Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini? What impact did he have on the oil industry?
4. How did Britain respond to Nassar's demands about the Canal? How did Eisenhower feel about the events?
5. What was the "Arab oil embargo"? How did it affect the U.S.?
6. What events change the oil landscape in Iran? What happened to Mossadegh?
7. What events and situations led to tensions between the U.S. and Britain?
8. Who succeeded Nasser in Egypt? What changes did he make?
9. OPEC was founded with which goals in mind?
10. Venezuela's Alirio Parra helped stabilize OPEC through a meeting with oil leaders. Why was the meeting held? What came out of this meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how oil can cause tensions and conflicts between countries. Why is oil so important as to contribute to conflicts? How is oil used as a weapon in conflicts between countries? Use at least one specific example from the book to illustrate and back up your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the wars discussed in the book, such as the Iran-Iraq War, the Gulf War, or World War II. Discuss the role that oil played in the causes and outcomes of the war. How did oil influence the direction and outcome of the war? What impact did oil have on the war and the way that it was fought?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one world and/or oil company leader from the twentieth century. For example, you might use Nassar, Sadat, Hussein, and so on. Discuss the person's impact on the oil industry. What decisions or actions did the person make that affected the oil industry? Where the effects positive or negative for the industry? Why do you think this person had an impact on the oil industry? Use specific examples in your discussion.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)