|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the "Arab oil embargo" gas princes rose how much in the United States?
2. The Soviet Union invaded which country?
3. After Iraq expelled Khomeini, where did he go?
4. Exxon spent a billion dollars on what in 1980?
5. What was central in the rise of Arab nationalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Senator Henry ("Scoop") Jackson investigate? How did people respond to these investigations?
2. The postwar petroleum order rested on which two foundations? Who wanted to change the agreements?
3. What actions did Sadat take toward Israel? What was his goal?
4. Rising prices had what effect on the oil industry? Where did oil companies begin exploring?
5. What tensions existed between Iran and Iraq? What effect did this have on the oil market?
6. What triggered economic recovery in 1983?
7. What were some of the challenges of harvesting oil in Alaska? How did the oil companies address some of the issues?
8. OPEC was founded with which goals in mind?
9. What effects did the Second Oil Shock have on the oil industry?
10. Why did Iraqi troops invade Kuwait? What was the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did oil play in World War II? How did it influence military strategy? How did oil fuel new military strategies and tactics?
Essay Topic 2
Yergin makes the point that cheap gas and oil transformed American society in a number of ways. Discuss how oil changed American society. What did oil and gas make possible? What new aspects of society are a result of oil and gas? What would American society be like without oil or gas?
Essay Topic 3
How did the oil industry begin? Why wasn't oil harvested in greater amounts before this time? What role did oil companies play in the early days of the oil industry?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)