|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used radio to mobilize Arab nationalism and stir up the whole Third World?
2. Who developed an ideology for pushing the oil industry back to basics, fighting self-serving waste and excess, and protecting disenfranchised shareholders' rights?
3. Permanent oil platforms had to withstand waves that were how high?
4. The American hostages were held until what happened?
5. OPEC lifted the embargo in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions did Sadat take toward Israel? What was his goal?
2. Who was Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini? What impact did he have on the oil industry?
3. What was the "Arab oil embargo"? How did it affect the U.S.?
4. What triggered economic recovery in 1983?
5. What effects did cheap gas have in the United States in the 1950s? Why were consumers able to obtain cheap gas during this time?
6. What was at the heart of the Arab oil embargo? How did other countries feel about the issues?
7. Why did Iraqi troops invade Kuwait? What was the result?
8. What did Senator Henry ("Scoop") Jackson investigate? How did people respond to these investigations?
9. Why is 1974 to 1978 known as OPEC's Golden Age?
10. What events and situations led to tensions between the U.S. and Britain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one world and/or oil company leader from the twentieth century. For example, you might use Nassar, Sadat, Hussein, and so on. Discuss the person's impact on the oil industry. What decisions or actions did the person make that affected the oil industry? Where the effects positive or negative for the industry? Why do you think this person had an impact on the oil industry? Use specific examples in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How did oil influence events during World War II in the Pacific? What were some of Japan's goals and strategies as far as oil was concerned? What was the outcome of the conflict in the Pacific?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think is/was the most influential person in the oil industry? Why? What did this person contribute to the oil industry globally? Support your answer with information from the book.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)